1989 Honda Prelude? - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:20 AM   #1
Saason.ez
Getting Comfortable

Saason.ez is on a distinguished road
1989 Honda Prelude?

is a 1989 honda prelude with 174x km's with the timing belt, water pump, battery changed, rust thats not even visible yet worth it for 1900? or is it better to do a trade for a 1999 honda civic sedan (5speed) with 183xx (timing belt and water pump not changed)
Saason.ez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 01:27 AM   #2
10k_pos
Ludacious

10k_pos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saason.ez View Post
is a 1989 honda prelude with 174x km's with the timing belt, water pump, battery changed, rust thats not even visible yet worth it for 1900? or is it better to do a trade for a 1999 honda civic sedan (5speed) with 183xx (timing belt and water pump not changed)
Are you planning to upgrade your car? If so the civic has more stuff than the prelude.1900$ for a clean prelude with those miles ain't bad but i'd offer 1500$ and meet the seller in the middle, say no higher 1700$, and you would have a good deal on that one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
10k_pos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 01:31 AM   #3
Saason.ez
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k_pos View Post
Are you planning to upgrade your car? If so the civic has more stuff than the prelude.1900$ for a clean prelude with those miles ain't bad but i'd offer 1500$ and meet the seller in the middle, say no higher 1700$, and you would have a good deal on that one.

sorry i meant that i have a 1999 honda civic with 183xx km's (miles=113 miles) that i would want to trade for the prelude. what stuff extra does the civic have over the prelude?
Old 01-11-2014, 02:32 AM   #4
10k_pos
Ludacious

Quote:
sorry i meant that i have a 1999 honda civic with 183xx km's (miles=113 miles) that i would want to trade for the prelude. what stuff extra does the civic have over the prelude?
Engine trans support #1, but honestly, its alot of aftermarket for the civic, very limited for the 3rd gen prelude. And our aftermarket is expensive. Not to shy you away, just depends on how dirty you want to get

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:47 AM   #5
Saason.ez
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k_pos View Post
Engine trans support #1, but honestly, its alot of aftermarket for the civic, very limited for the 3rd gen prelude. And our aftermarket is expensive. Not to shy you away, just depends on how dirty you want to get

In terms of reliability, which one would you go for ? Is OEM parts expensive too ? I just want a nice old school style daily what would have the reliability of the civic. I prob wouldn't do any mods to it other them maybe put hids in the head lights but that's it. What are some problems that should be addressed by that amount of kms. I'm on the fence because the kms are so little for its age I just don't want to fall under repair after repair Because I don't do any with my civic.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
heythisiserik
True Luder

heythisiserik is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to heythisiserik
You'll have to do maintenance on any honda thats more than 10 yrs old...just make sure you keep track of all of it. my lude has been the best. But when compared to a newer, more supported, 4 door civic, its impractical. Having said that, the lude is worth all of it and i would never trade it for a civic

Last edited by heythisiserik; 01-11-2014 at 08:46 AM.
heythisiserik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
luzer
Elite Member

luzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura about

A 25 year old car is probably not for you if you aren't willing to get your hands dirty. Part of the pleasure of owning a 3rd gen (for me) is that I really enjoy working on it. It's like therapy for me. Even so, I rarely ever have to do a repair on it. In fact, the last repair I had to do was replace the rear brake calipers 2 years ago. Most of the work I do on my car is maintenance or upgrades. As with any car, proper routine maintenance is the key to helping avoid the need to make repairs later. But, again like any other kind of car, things can and will fail.

The thing you should be looking at is that you have a car that is 10 years newer than the Prelude you are looking at. You compare any two cars that are 10 years apart in age, and the newer one will obviously require less attention than the older one. If you're looking for a car that you won't have to work on, then don't buy any car that's 25 years old.

1989 Prelude 2.0Si 4WS
2013 Subaru WRX
1999 Chevy K2500 Surburban

Quote:
should have posted this in the noob thread.
Link to noob thread...

luzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
Saason.ez
Getting Comfortable

i don't mind working on it but i really like the look and design of the 3rd gen which is why i want to trade for it…. would i be able to get more if i just sold my civic outright and used the cash to buy it?
Old 01-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #9
10k_pos
Ludacious

Quote:
i don't mind working on it but i really like the look and design of the 3rd gen which is why i want to trade for it…. would i be able to get more if i just sold my civic outright and used the cash to buy it?
could possibly get a decent price for your civic, its ultimately your call, look through our FAQ and you can see common problems with the 3rd gen, oddball tools you may need, all performance upgrades, check out prelude3g.com also.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Saason.ez
Getting Comfortable

He said he would also add 260 cash on top to sweeten the deal
Old 01-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #11
Saason.ez
Getting Comfortable

How much could i possibly get for my civic ? Or is the 250 cash he wants to add be good enough
Old 01-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #12
dano
Prelude Aficionado

dano has disabled reputation
If you do a lot of highway driving...be warned that the 3rd gen preludes have a high (numerically) final drive ratio. You will need 4,000 rpms to cruise at 80 mph.

This may aid in your decision making.

dano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #13
1funryd
Elite Member

1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 1funryd Send a message via MSN to 1funryd Send a message via Yahoo to 1funryd

OK now that all the negatives have been posted, once you drive this car its going to grab you.

Its like no other car you have ever driven under $2000.

Yes the aftermarket is small, but its there.
There may be junkyard visits, but you will learn much about a car and enjoy it while learning.

Drive it first and make up your mind.

Sean

3rd Gen Aftermarket Manager

(Clik Here)
Email:

(Danny19 - JDM RH Drive) (1Funryd - H23 Swap) (B20luda - Turbo Charged H22)Representing All of 3rd Gens!!!
1funryd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #14
dano
Prelude Aficionado

dano has disabled reputation
No....****ALL*** the negatives have not been posted yet.

Ever hear about the in-car-shower ??

Hahahaha

dano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #15
Ludercrs
Prelude Aficionado

Ludercrs will become famous soon enough

Prelude of the Month
^ lol you gonna start listing every single detail that COULD go wrong with his car?

the main point is the Prelude has limited resources for Parts. many parts are discontinued from Honda themselves so you have to rely on aftermarket replication and for those only the incredibly necessary to functionality parts are replicated (things for clutch/brakes/suspension/engine... ) NOTHING for the body (inside or out) can be sourced new, a junkyard is your only way and good luck finding a prelude in a junkyard that still has all it's parts lol.

So if you're ready to put some effort into a car then get the prelude cus it's loads of fun to drive.

Ludercrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #16
Andrew
Lude Boss

Andrew will become famous soon enoughAndrew will become famous soon enough

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
Ever hear about the in-car-shower ??
Happened to me yesterday.

Use your judgement, we can't tell you which car you should buy by the number of miles on the chassis and whether or not the timing belt has been changed. Do you have pics?

I've never regretted buying a Prelude other than the occasional wish for RWD. What I do regret is buying one with body damage, half-assed repairs by the previous owner, and neglected suspension. Maintenance is so important.

I have had to ride my bike to work a few days due to burst coolant hoses, dead alternator, stuff like that, you just have to know what you're getting into when you buy an older car for a daily driver.

This was Honda's flagship model at the time and it's a very good car in its own unique way.

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #17
88SE Lude
Prelude Aficionado

88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of
Buy a 25 year old Honda and then compare it to non-Japanese 25 year old cars

"You are not entitled to an opinion. An opinion is what you have when you don't have any facts. When you have the facts, you don't need an opinion"

I'd rather you hate me for my honesty than like me for dis-honesty.
88SE Lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #18
hizzlehonda
Ludacious

hizzlehonda is on a distinguished road
go online kbb.com or nadaguides.com and appraise the civic. If you can sell the civic and get more than 1900 then do that and talk the guy down a little then you have some cash for any surprises that you may find.
hizzlehonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #19
luzer
Elite Member

luzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88SE Lude View Post
Buy a 25 year old Honda and then compare it to non-Japanese 25 year old cars
My 78 Chevy truck is 36 years old. It runs as well as my lude, it'll go just about anywhere I want to go, and I can pull just about anything I want with it. Honda's have a good reputation, but just like any other type of car, if it's maintained well it will last a long time.

1989 Prelude 2.0Si 4WS
2013 Subaru WRX
1999 Chevy K2500 Surburban

Quote:
should have posted this in the noob thread.
Link to noob thread...

luzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #20
10k_pos
Ludacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
If you do a lot of highway driving...be warned that the 3rd gen preludes have a high (numerically) final drive ratio. You will need 4,000 rpms to cruise at 80 mph.

This may aid in your decision making.
And still get a respectable 24-26 mpg

Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #21
Saason.ez
Getting Comfortable

so an update on the situation…. i posted this question in my local prelude forum called Toronto Prelude Club (http://www.hondaprelude.to/forums/sh...-honda-prelude) and one of the members actually went and checked out the car and had this to say about it.

"If you are looking for a daily driver I would stay away. Most suspension bushing will need to be replaced. The rear swaybar links are broken. The exhaust manifold gaskets will need to be replaced as they are leaking. It needs a valve lash adjustment. Overall the car is in okay shape but it does need work. One thing it has going for it is mint interior. If you are looking for something to build over a period of time this is the car for you as it can be very nice with time and money"

I mentioned this to the seller and he obviously got pissed off about it lol and he said he would safety the car for me before doing the trade. should i just stay away… does safety look at those things even?
Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #22
Andrew
Lude Boss

Andrew will become famous soon enoughAndrew will become famous soon enough

Prelude of the Month
Hey... I drove to Seattle at Christmas time and got 31.5 on winter tires... averaging 70-75 MPH.

24-26 is in town.

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #23
Saason.ez
Getting Comfortable

so an update on the situation…. i posted this question in my local prelude forum called Toronto Prelude Club (http://www.hondaprelude.to/forums/sh...-honda-prelude) and one of the members actually went and checked out the car and had this to say about it.

"If you are looking for a daily driver I would stay away. Most suspension bushing will need to be replaced. The rear swaybar links are broken. The exhaust manifold gaskets will need to be replaced as they are leaking. It needs a valve lash adjustment. Overall the car is in okay shape but it does need work. One thing it has going for it is mint interior. If you are looking for something to build over a period of time this is the car for you as it can be very nice with time and money"

I mentioned this to the seller and he obviously got pissed off about it lol and he said he would safety the car for me before doing the trade. should i just stay away… does safety look at those things even?
Old 01-12-2014, 08:11 PM   #24
89lowlude
Lude Addict

89lowlude has disabled reputation

Prelude of the Month
^Sorry for pissing him off. Was just trying to help you out. With some work and money the car could be a real looker. But the key thing is money and how much you are willing to spend.
89lowlude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #25
88SE Lude
Prelude Aficionado

88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzer View Post
My 78 Chevy truck is 36 years old. It runs as well as my lude, it'll go just about anywhere I want to go, and I can pull just about anything I want with it. Honda's have a good reputation, but just like any other type of car, if it's maintained well it will last a long time.
M... I did state cars not trucks though.

and generally speaking you will be spending far more on maintaining a car over that time period that doesn't come from Japan/Far East/ and some European stuff.
I suppose it also depends on where you live and what use the car has had as well.

But I'm doing generalistic stereotyping here and my point is valid in that context

"You are not entitled to an opinion. An opinion is what you have when you don't have any facts. When you have the facts, you don't need an opinion"

I'd rather you hate me for my honesty than like me for dis-honesty.
88SE Lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement