*HELP* The EVIL H22a4 to H23a VTEC swap - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
dunw00dy24

dunw00dy24 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy *HELP* The EVIL H22a4 to H23a VTEC swap

Hi all,

I have a complicated and frustrating situation that I could use some advice on. Here's the background info:

- I hydrolocked my 1998 automatic base prelude. (F***!)

After measuring the piston heights (and seeing water in a cylinder), it was clear that I bent a rod pretty good. I opted to replace the engine instead of a rebuild. After researching extensively about which engine to choose, I decided on the H23A VTEC. I planned on making the new engine run as an OBDII.

- I bought new: oil pump (H22 for crank sensor issue), timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, tensioners, spark plug wires, starter, rotor, distributor cap, oil pan gasket, front main seal, rear main seal, alternator belt, power steering belt, intake manifold gasket, motor mounts, headers and VTEC oil pressure sensor.

- We used from the old H22a4: fuel rail, injectors, dizzy, crank pulley (for power steering), and the throttle body (I believe).

The new engine is in the car and all hooked up. When my mechanic tried to fire it up, he said that he was getting a crank sensor error. He tested the sensor and said it was dead.

I bought a new crank sensor, and he put it in. Now, we aren't receiving any spark or fuel. My mechanic says that he can turn the fuel pump on manually with a scanner, so it's not the fuel pump or the main relay. Also, the coil in the distributor is new, so he ruled out the dizzy.

The check engine light comes on for 2 seconds, turns off, then stays on. In his opinion, my ecu was likely damaged in the flood and needs replacing.

I have a couple of options for replacing the ECU. I can go with a P13, P28, or P72. I ruled out the P28 since, from my understanding, they will not operate the IAB butterfly valves. That leaves either the P13 or P72.

In an effort to avoid potential problems with the demobilizer in my Prelude, I've decided on a chipped P13 - OBDI. I know I will also need the OBDII to OBDI conversion harness. From what I've read, the chipped OBDI P13 ECU should run my H23a VTEC with OBDII engine setup (dizzy, oil pump, etc) just fine.

- Can anyone confirm this information for me?
- Does anyone (that has the H23a VTEC) have any other suggestions as to the best choice for an ECU?

Also, I read on this thread something about having to switch the balancer belt pulley.

- Are they referring to the crank pulley, or something different?

This job has been the bane of my existence, seems like one problem after another. My car has been out of commission since late September, and I've spent something like $3k so far...I would GREATLY appreciate any advice or help you all can offer to get my lude back on the road as quickly and cheaply as possible.

THANKS!
dunw00dy24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Blue01
Prelude Aficionado

Blue01 is a jewel in the roughBlue01 is a jewel in the roughBlue01 is a jewel in the rough
The BS pulley needs to be the US market one, the crank sensors read off it. The JDM one has no such provision.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
psud3ity
Super Moderator

psud3ity is a glorious beacon of lightpsud3ity is a glorious beacon of lightpsud3ity is a glorious beacon of lightpsud3ity is a glorious beacon of lightpsud3ity is a glorious beacon of lightpsud3ity is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue01 View Post
The BS pulley needs to be the US market one, the crank sensors read off it. The JDM one has no such provision.
Yeah, you need to swap all the parts on the crank snout to the US OBD2 stuff, including the gears themselves which have the pickups.

That said, you'd be throwing crank position codes and a CEL if the stuff wasn't swapped over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
H22A BOOSTED 325HP @ 9psi - Soon to be 650HP
psud3ity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
zelseman
I am Prelude

zelseman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psud3ity View Post
Yeah, you need to swap all the parts on the crank snout to the US OBD2 stuff, including the gears themselves which have the pickups.

That said, you'd be throwing crank position codes and a CEL if the stuff wasn't swapped over.
This^.
Happened to me. It was not fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

zelseman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
dunw00dy24

Thanks for your help guys!!! I'm taking the timing belt and balancer belt drive gears over to my mechanic today. We'll see how it goes, fingers crossed.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
aNgRyAgEnT
True Luder

aNgRyAgEnT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunw00dy24 View Post
Thanks for your help guys!!! I'm taking the timing belt and balancer belt drive gears over to my mechanic today. We'll see how it goes, fingers crossed.

Good luck! I am interested to see how this goes for you. Keep us posted.

Quote:
Sounds more like you need to get over your fear of cock and start taking one (or more) for the team

Quote:

Quote:
No no no. You are doing it all wrong. It has to look like this

aNgRyAgEnT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
BBnineone6
True Luder

BBnineone6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
just happened to me too dude.. gotta use the balancer belt gear AND the timing belt gear drives.
BBnineone6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
element600rr
True Luder

element600rr will become famous soon enough
you can also buy a jumper harness from rywire that lets you use the jdm dizzy instead . i actually converted to this recently to get rid of the external coil and hide a few more wires .. with the jdm dizzy no need for the crank sensor at the crank its in the dizzy ..
element600rr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 04:22 AM   #9
F20Bb6r

F20Bb6r is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to F20Bb6r
Quote:
Originally Posted by element600rr View Post
you can also buy a jumper harness from rywire that lets you use the jdm dizzy instead . i actually converted to this recently to get rid of the external coil and hide a few more wires .. with the jdm dizzy no need for the crank sensor at the crank its in the dizzy ..

Or you can wire it up yourself like I did on my F20b, using this write up
Link->
http://www.P R E L U D E Z O N E.com/general-tech-talk/19468-obd1-obd2-motor-distributor-swapping.html

edit: sorry

I actually made a subharness for this on my engine harness, but it worked perfectly. I vouch

Last edited by F20Bb6r; 04-15-2012 at 02:45 PM.
F20Bb6r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
BBnineone6
True Luder

Quote:
which are you talking about? because i bought the one that has the 2 us dizzy plugs and crank sensor plug into the jdm 10 pin plug except the h23a vtec plug dizzy plug is 8 pin not 10.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
element600rr
True Luder

element600rr will become famous soon enough
my jdm dizzy is a 10 pin .. are you sure its eight .. should be 8 small pins 2 big ones ..
element600rr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
F20Bb6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBnineone6 View Post
which are you talking about? because i bought the one that has the 2 us dizzy plugs and crank sensor plug into the jdm 10 pin plug except the h23a vtec plug dizzy plug is 8 pin not 10.

Did you even click the link? It would have answered your question. It doesn't make much of a difference anyways- the only difference in the 10 pin versions is that the Black/yellow 12v and the Blue RPM pick up are in the same connector as the other 8 wires, instead of having their own connector. Which is totally irrelevant to rewiring your harness to accept the crank sensor in your distributor. Just read the link, sir
Old 04-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
F20Bb6r

Quote:
my jdm dizzy is a 10 pin .. are you sure its eight .. should be 8 small pins 2 big ones ..
The dizzy that came on my F20B was 8 pin/ 2 pin. Not that it matters anyways, the wiring is the same
Old 04-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
dunw00dy24

Hi All, thanks for your input - you were a great help!! We've swapped over the timing belt and balancer belt drive gears, and the car FINALLY starts!

One problem though: The car can't rev past 3k rpm. My mechanic says that it is throwing a Throttle Positioning Sensor (TPS) code, and that the car shuts off after running for a little while. My mechanic thinks the TPS is dead, but I want to make absolutely sure there aren't any other possible causes for this issue.

- Anyone heard of this before, or experienced this during their swap?

Thanks again for your help so far, it's unreal how much relief I got from just the car starting...
Old 04-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
BBnineone6
True Luder

Quote:
yep mines for sure 8, i already bought the conversion rywire thing and tried it. i know the h22a type s is 10 though.

PCB ECU and OBD2a-->OBD2B Rywire Jumper for sale. PM me

Last edited by BBnineone6; 04-21-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #16
dunw00dy24

bump... Anyone, suggestions???
Old 04-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
dunw00dy24

Quote:
bump... Anyone, suggestions???
BAD NEWS:

New TPS sensor is in, car still won't rev past 3500 RPMS. Still throwing TPS code. Ideas anyone??

Could really use some help.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #18
RomPirate
Ludicrous..

RomPirate is a jewel in the roughRomPirate is a jewel in the roughRomPirate is a jewel in the rough
Do you know the CEL code? (numerical)

Once you do, find out how to troubleshoot it in the helms manual. You can download it, or go here:
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=320096

Edit: This is of course, assuming that this is not caused by the engine swap

RomPirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
hector797

hector797 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
BAD NEWS:

New TPS sensor is in, car still won't rev past 3500 RPMS. Still throwing TPS code. Ideas anyone??

Could really use some help.
that happened to me when i wet the engine and i noticed that it was the crank sensor because mine was broken (in the cables) and when i replaced it... the problem disapear
hector797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #20
dunw00dy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector797 View Post
that happened to me when i wet the engine and i noticed that it was the crank sensor because mine was broken (in the cables) and when i replaced it... the problem disapear
Damn...my mechanic thought the crank sensor was gone early on so we already replaced that about a month ago.

What code was it throwing when that happened to you?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #21
hector797

hector797 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
damn...my mechanic thought the crank sensor was gone early on so we already replaced that about a month ago.

What code was it throwing when that happened to you?

i dont remember the exact code (when i get home i will look for it to tell you) but i remeber that the code was from the crank sensor
i am sure

i hope ;you can fix it bro ... My engine is dead right now and im gonna buy and h22a or h23a. And i know that im gonna have problems too
hector797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #22
dunw00dy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector797 View Post
i dont remember the exact code (when i get home i will look for it to tell you) but i remeber that the code was from the crank sensor
i am sure

i hope ;you can fix it bro ... My engine is dead right now and im gonna buy and h22a or h23a. And i know that im gonna have problems too
Yeah, originally my car wouldn't start and was throwin a crank sensor issue. We replaced the sensor and it still wouldn't start...soon realized we need the balancer and timing gear. After we swapped those in, the car starts but now throws the TPS code. Replaced that sensor and still throws code - bane of my existence.

I wish you the best of luck in your rebuild. Sorry to hear your lude is equally useless.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #23
BBnineone6
True Luder

are you sure the mechanic calibrated the tps correctly? (.45v closed 5v wot)

Old 04-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #24
BBnineone6
True Luder

update?

Old 04-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #25
treystarkssh

treystarkssh is on a distinguished road
yeah, does the crank gear fix this? most of the rest has been done but not the CPS or crank gear. do I need to do the oil pump?
treystarkssh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement