Front axle shaking when brake at high speed - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
Teratani
Lude Dude

Teratani is on a distinguished road
Front axle shaking when brake at high speed

Hi everyone,

just replaced brake rotors and pad 2 months ago cause steer use to shaking when one brakes. Now car has more braking power and also pedal is more stiff as steer doens't shake anymore when I apply brake even hard....but just few days ago it's happened something of very strange.....

Braking from high speed (about 190 Km/h) car start to shake on the front axle, so no feel from the steer neither from the pedal...only fornt axle shake as if brakes go on and off and if u look at the hood u can notice the flutter.... In such condition if I leave brake pedal and agian press pedal continuosly car continue to shaking and poor brake capacity...only after slowing down below 140 Km/h car re-gain brake capacity and no more shaking.....why???

Even why this isn't never happens before to replace the rotors and pads?

It's a little dangerous in such condition because if I need hard brake from very high speed car doesn't brake as should be and the whole car shaking is scary....

Sincerly I don't understand why this happens...a few of chance:

- brake caliper....I guess not because left and right wheel behave exactly in the same way...I can't feel shaking coming form one wheel in particularly it's the whole front axle and a little the rear axle (I guess because the rear brake power is less then the front brake power...) that shake

- bad rotors and pad? They are new one...

- brake master cylinder? It's the original one 22 years old an 209k km on it but for me it still works good...as still I should feel something from the pedal...but I feel nothing from the pedal....

- the ALB crap thing? The ALB is dead from about 3 years (bad ALB pump) I disconnected relay and fuse so ALB light stay on all the time.... So it cannot be kick-back alb function as I can't feel nothing from the pedal....

- something bad on the circuit?? I've rplaced also the front brake hoses...

Last edited by Teratani; 02-28-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Teratani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
lordbutz
True Luder

lordbutz is on a distinguished road
probably wouldn't hurt to check out all of your bushings.
lordbutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
NUDEintheLUDE

NUDEintheLUDE is on a distinguished road
i had a very similar problem and it was because 1 of the 2 philips head screws that hold my rotors in place was broken. they cost like $0.75 from honda each and are easy to check for.
NUDEintheLUDE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Cheeze-91lude
Ludacious

Cheeze-91lude is on a distinguished road
I had the exact same issue as you. My fix was a resurface of my back rotor. I couldn't go past 55 and when I braked it shook. If you have the tool measure. Even if your rotors are new doesn't mean they're straight.
Cheeze-91lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
Teratani
Lude Dude

Ok, but If are bad rotors why I can't feel nothing from the steer? The steer doens't shake.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:43 AM   #6
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet
Send a message via Yahoo to cudaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUDEintheLUDE View Post
i had a very similar problem and it was because 1 of the 2 philips head screws that hold my rotors in place was broken. they cost like $0.75 from honda each and are easy to check for.
Are you smoking crack? Those screws are doing nothing if you have your wheel torqued down with the lug nuts on the lug studs. They are just there to hold the rotor on while changing the flat tire and working on the brakes. Like replacing pads. Many people just leave those screws off instead of dealing with stripped ones.

Original poster from italy that is pretty good speeds and if you do that all the time and have cheap pads or rotors they are likely to warp if you are doing a lot of heavy braking at those speeds. If they aren't warped then you can rule that out. I would start with fixing the a.l.b. system. I know some people take it out and convert to standard power asist brakes due to cost. I think it is fairly difficult to do though. If by pump you mean the a.l.b. special own resivour I am pretty sure http://rockauto.com has those fairly cheap and pretty sure they sell and ship to Italy.

Damn it I know I had seen it on rockauto maybe they discontinued it. I looked local parts stores and couldn't find it either. Rockauto use to distinguish between alb and 4ws but not anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'91 Si 4ws 5spd(black) "Black Betty"
'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cudaboy; 02-29-2012 at 03:41 AM.
cudaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #7
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet
Send a message via Yahoo to cudaboy

They do sell the alb brake speed sensors per wheel if you can't get them localy.

'91 Si 4ws 5spd(black) "Black Betty"
'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

cudaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
Dexter
Prelude Aficionado

Dexter will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dexter Send a message via Yahoo to Dexter
The donor lude I'm dailying right now does that as well, or it used to. Now it shakes under braking above 70-80mph, can be a bit un-nerving. When I'm moving slowly and braking gently the entire car kind of lurches. I'm positive that the rotors are warped. Not my car tho so...

Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
3Gprelude

3Gprelude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaboy View Post
Are you smoking crack?
Damn you cudaboy.....now I have Sprite all over my mac...thanks......
'90 2.0Si Automatic (R.I.P)
'91 Si Runs super rich/burns oil(Limbo)
'73 Challenger 383 4BBL(somewhere in the future)
'87 Corolla(current project)
'89 Supra 1JZ-GTE(next project)
'86 Spider Veloce(DD)
'97 YZF1000R Thunderace
3Gprelude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #10
Teratani
Lude Dude

Still don't understand....could be alb speed sensor? But my alb is off. Anyway I'll go to check to some facilities...
Old 03-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
JChamplain
Lude Dude

JChamplain is on a distinguished road
just for shits and giggles remove your calipers from bracket and remove metal slide (bolt screws into this) , clean old grease off and relube with some hi temp. grease. and reinstall. these get stuck and don't let your caliper float. thats how you also get uneven pad wear.

Last edited by JChamplain; 03-04-2012 at 08:43 PM.
JChamplain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement