Help! Mixed brake fluid into power steering fluid reservoir - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
redlude88

redlude88 is on a distinguished road
Help! Mixed brake fluid into power steering fluid reservoir

Hi,

A few days ago, I absentmindedly put brake fluid (dot 3) into the power steering fluid reservoir as it was at the min mark. Last couple of days, I have been noticing that the power steering cuts out sometimes esp, at slow speeds like during parking.. But it comes back.

What do I need to do now ? Is this going to be a big problem ?
Please help !

Thx
redlude88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
xkjnboix
Lude Boss

xkjnboix will become famous soon enough
go under your car and find your power steering rack. unbolt the dust cover ( 2-3 10mm bolts ) pull one or all of the lines going to the rack ( the more you pull the faster you drain. ) your front wheels should be off the ground since you are able to get under the car to do everything previously stated. leave the car off or turn it on and turn the wheel max left and max right until its completely drained

put everything back together, fill up with fluid and while the wheels are still off the ground. go max left to max right 50 times. YES 50 times while the car is on and have someone fill the reservoir for you while you turn the wheel to make things alot faster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Disregard Honda Tuning, Acquire 4ws!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[B][COLOR=SlateGray][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]

xkjnboix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
LudeBob89
Ludacious

LudeBob89 will become famous soon enough

Prelude of the Month
You NEED to flush and replace the fluid. The brake fluid is likely to kill the seals in the PS system.

B20A TD05-16g 276hp. Daily driven.
LudeBob89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
lude72
Ludacious

lude72 is on a distinguished road
i will tell you how to fix it stop smoking what ever your smoking and pay attention and do whats above

just kidding
Old 01-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet
Send a message via Yahoo to cudaboy

Easiest way is to do it the way the shop manul shows. Just take of the top hose from resivour on passenger side. Its the one that goes up by the radiator. If you have money just go buy a hose like 3foot long it will make this easier. Install that where it the other stock hose is then just place the new hose in a jug on the ground. Then proceed to add fluid as needed and have some one turn the steering wheel back and forth like said above with engine running. Should go through atleast 4 small bottles.

'91 Si 4ws 5spd(black) "Black Betty"
'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

cudaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
hizzlehonda
Ludacious

hizzlehonda is on a distinguished road
I would recommend flushing the system again after you fill it back up with new power steering fluid. And when you fill it up the second time use genuine honda p/s fluid.
hizzlehonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet

might want to get a case if you have the money. I bought of case of 12 for best offer of $18 plus shipping which isn't cheap. One ebay. I will see if they are still available.

'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

Old 01-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
cudaboy
Elite Member

same guy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-ACURA-...item3f1293d8f0

Old 01-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
TripleLude
Elite Member

TripleLude has a spectacular aura aboutTripleLude has a spectacular aura about

Do above and then change the fluid again in a week. Who knows, maybe it will clean the system out like new. Just make sure it is all cleared out because brake fluid is like paint remover. Unfortunately it will eat the seals.

|
|
|
|
|
|
TripleLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 04:59 AM   #10
88SE Lude
Prelude Aficionado

88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of
Yep, go with the manual method as Cuda states... not the method xkjoinbx says, that is unneccesarily involved.

Use a cheap fluid to flush it through before using the fluid you'll put in at the end.

"You are not entitled to an opinion. An opinion is what you have when you don't have any facts. When you have the facts, you don't need an opinion"

I'd rather you hate me for my honesty than like me for dis-honesty.
88SE Lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
cudaboy
Elite Member

the hose is 3/8" internal diameter. Autozone had some cheap in 1/2" so probably 3/8" too. Or just use any hose that size like from hardware store. I bought 1/2" because that is the size going to the pump. However you just need 3/8" for this task. I don't know how fast you want to get this done sooner the better if your driving it. I think my stealership was about $5 a bottle so that is why I suggested the case. Took about a week to get though From northern new york to the plains.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
redlude88

Thx folks.. I flushed the fluid a couple of times and filled with proper fluid.
It looks like the reservoir cap is loose .. The fluid kept oozing out. I had to seal it with a piece of platic sheet wrapped around the reservoir plug. Is the plug supposed to be air tight ?
Old 01-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
LudeBob89
Ludacious

LudeBob89 will become famous soon enough

Prelude of the Month
If there is fluid coming out, there's a chance the seal on the P/S pump needs changing. It gets old and lets air into the line causing bubbling of the fluid. As a result it can loose fluid.

http://mustardcat.brinkster.net/p3g/...eak/psleak.htm

B20A TD05-16g 276hp. Daily driven.
LudeBob89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
cudaboy
Elite Member

did you use power steering fluid designed for honda cars? your suppose to..x2 on what ludebob said.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
redlude88

Yes.. I used PS fluid for Honda cars. I flushed it 3 times while turning the wheel many times.

The reservoir cap is very loose. Is it supposed to be like that ? .. not air tight ?
I still see leaks from the reservoir after stuffing the cap tight.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
cudaboy
Elite Member

pretty easy to pull off. Should have feathered plug to hold it in. Usualy the resivour foaming over or overflowing is due to air in the system. Usualy because of leaking ps pump seal.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #17
nailbender
Super Elite Member

nailbender will become famous soon enough

since you flushed the system, you probably introduced a lot of air in the system. Unless you have power steering fluid leaking at the power steering pump pulley, i wouldn't worry too much about the foaming. Let the fluid foam out (i know it's gonna be messy) while you continue to turn your steering wheel from stop to stop with the engine running. Eventually the foaming should stop, but it is going to take some time. Make sure you continue to add fluild if it should fall below the add mark. Be patient and persistent. You should have both wheels off the ground while you are doing this.

While you are going from stop to stop, have someone check the power steering pump shaft seal area. If there is evidence of leakage, stop and change the pump seal. Good luck and remember...Use honda power steering fluid.

4ws alignment tool
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #18
cudaboy
Elite Member

Well mine was bone dry and I didn't have any foaming. I had replaced every hose in the power steering system. So yeah, whatever that didn't drain out of the rack and pinion was it. Sure it could be because he got air in the system. I just think if that was the case I surely would of had the same problem. I however know for sure that my ps pump seal is still relatively new plus had three people including myself to do this. One on the steering wheel one on adding fluid and one to watch the fluid draining into the bottle. So I am sure that I didn't introduce any air into the system that wasn't already there. He said he drained it four times I think so I would think it would of been purged but maybe not. He could take a white paper towel and wipe the backside of the ps pump pulley to see if there is any oil. That might help determine.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #19
redlude88

I think the brake fluid did eat my seal. I now see oil spray from the pump shaft. Bought the seal from Honda. Had tough time finding 24" socket wrench extension.. But got it now. I am set for the weekend. Hope I can get it done without much pain..
Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #20
cudaboy
Elite Member

20" or 18" is plenty. I think that is what I have. If you have the car lifted on jack stands its pretty easy to guide on the adjustment bolt by reaching up from underneath. Does help if someone is holding the extension in front of headlamp above bumper. Make sure you loosen that pulley bolt on ps pump by torqueing it to the right. It is left hand threaded so it it is the opposite of most bolts you wrench on. Also make sure you loosen the ps idler pulley nut before adjusting the belt tension. Don't have to take it off just loosen it a little it is right hand thread so loosen like you normally would. I made a tool for holding the ps pump pulley but some just use the belt. I had a welder so it wasn't that big of deal to make a tool.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement