Auto Transmission Solenoid maintenance DIY procedure - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:58 AM   #1
spacemaster
True Luder

spacemaster is on a distinguished road
Wink Auto Transmission Solenoid maintenance DIY procedure

If your car has the following symptoms, this procedure will help
a) S4 indicator flashing
b) A/T code of 2 or 8
c) stuck with one gear (usually at higher gear)
d) hard to shift between gear, etc.

In my case, my car has all a, b and c

Our prelude A/T is very strong and hard to fail. The above symptoms usually indicate that either or both Solenoids (lockup and Shift) are not functioning as expected. Luckly, the solenoids are external and easy to remove, we can, at least easily, restore its functionality (in worst case, replace a new one, hopefully not).

This procedure is to help you just that.

0) Disconnect the battery -ve

1) Remove all air intake, etc. to clear the path for easy access to solenoid. Pic below is shown the solenoids which attached to the A/T box.

The top solenoid is the lockup control and the bottom one is the shift control solenoid.

2) Carefully unplug the wire connection from both solenoids by lifting the tap from the plug. Pic below shown two unplugs solenoid wire plugs

3) Remove three 10mm bolts from the lockup solenoid and remove the solenoid. It is a bit strong matting to the transmission housing, with just little force, it will be off from the housing. Here what it look like...

Closer, you can see the solenoid gasket filter attached to the solenoid. In my case, it has full of small metal on the filter, that block the passage of oil to the solenoid valve. At this point I go ahead and remove the remaining solenoid.

4) Carefully pry off the gasket filter from the solenoids. Here is my shift solenoid filter

Now we can start to do the fun stuff in order to restore the solenoid

5) If you want to reuse your gasket filter, then you need to clean the filter with brake cleanner, ensure the filter is clean. This allows oil passage to the solenoids.

After I clean the filter.

Now we turn to the solenoids themselve. The solenoid has two valves (A and B). Both need to activate (or click) when 12V signal apply to it. You can test this by apply a very short brief 12V +ve to one wire (either wire, one for each valve) and -ve to the body of the solenoid. Careful, not to let the +ve touch the -ve wire. In my case, I nearly did. With a full functional solenoid, you should hear a click or clicks. In my case, one valve is quite (stuck) and the other is very weak click. This indicated that my solenoid has stuck with all metall dust in it. and I need to clean the inside.

6) Let's start to clean the solenoid. First you can see the holes. Just blow the brake cleaner to each hole, you will see some metal dust coming out with the brake fluid.

But that alone is not enough, after you apply some brake cleaner, moderately tap it to a clean tow on the ground a few times. This will shake the dust inside the valve. Repeat the brake cleaner and tap..tap... during this time, you might see some metal dust seeping out of the hole.

7) Check the solenoid valve, by applying +ve and ground to solenoid body as above. You will hear the click is getting loder and kicking stronger. If not, repeat step 6 untill you see no more metal dust or you satisfy that both valves have strong and louder click. Now you know you have bring it back to life...

repeat the same procedure for the lockup control. Here are both of them and they are clean

Put the gasket filter back in

9) Apply some transimission oil to the gasket (a good excuse to check the fluid level by pull the yellow fluid level dipstick out )

10) Clean the matting at the transmission house with clean rug and brake cleanner

11) Put back the lower solenoid first with three 10mm bolf and apply 12Nm (9lb) torque. I don't have much space for my bloody torque wrench so I guesstimate. Then the put back the top solenoid, similar to the bottom one.

12) Plug all the solenoid plugs back into car harness connection. Easy enough

13) put back the battery -ve and check everything around you, makesure no nut or nuts hanging around

Start the car and start to drive and enjoy a smoother shift and gear engaging......

That's all folks!!!!

Last edited by spacemaster; 01-09-2012 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Safety warning of not letting the +ve and -ve touching and correct torque
spacemaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet
Send a message via Yahoo to cudaboy

nice! what's ve stand for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'91 Si 4ws 5spd(black) "Black Betty"
'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cudaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
spacemaster
True Luder

Sorry, for short cut... Positi(ve) or negati(ve)
Old 01-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet

If I get a chance I will look up nm and convert to lbs. Where you from? see you have been here a long time. Almost as long as me!

'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

Old 01-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
spacemaster
True Luder

Thanks cuda, correction. Manual said it is 12 mN (or 9 lbs)
I am from Australia
Old 01-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
TripleLude
Elite Member

TripleLude has a spectacular aura aboutTripleLude has a spectacular aura about

Wooweee I'll have to do this on the 88 S PGM-CARB Auto!

|
|
|
|
|
|
TripleLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
PJF_Lude
True Luder

PJF_Lude is on a distinguished road

Prelude of the Month
nice write up, but it should be noted that the version with all 4 valves on the outside was only on the 90-91, the 88-89 had the 2 shift valves internal and aren't accessible without transmission disassembly.

1988 Prelude Si - Polar white -Parted out and sold - gone but not forgotten
1989 Prelude Si - Phoenix red - Stripped for parts
1989 Prelude Si Turbo - Laguna gold
1989 Prelude Si - Polar white - Newly aquired, don't know what i'm doing with it just yet - possible track car
2006 CBR1000RR - Silver Metallic
PJF_Lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
pezzy
Lude Dude

pezzy is on a distinguished road
^^^^ Are you saying the 88-89 only has one valve body on the outside and the other is inside? I've done this once with my 88 (b20a3-auto) and I've got one outside that I know of but never thought to check for more solenoids to clean. Even just cleaning the one I found made a great difference for about 15000 miles. No flashing S4, no lockout issues in fourth gear...but it's started again.

Thanks for the write up I know what I'll be doing if it ever gets above freezing here again.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
spacemaster
True Luder

I looked into the manual, 88-89 has also same solenoids outside as mine. I don't have 88-89 so, I can't verify what PFJ said, he probably right, since he has one.

You probably just clean the filter which allows more oil passage to the solenoid. Sometime that would do the trick, while you there, why not clean the internal too Have fun with the gear box again. Agree, it made huge different, I am smiling with the smooth gear change in the last few days....
Old 02-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Pitota

Pitota is on a distinguished road
Man, I was all happy wen I found this, it goes to 4th when I step on it but quickly release back to 3rd, I have an 89 so I guess it's one solenoid on the outside It won't hurt to clean anyway.
Pitota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
2ndSi
Lude Dude

2ndSi is on a distinguished road
2 auto solenoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemaster View Post
I looked into the manual, 88-89 has also same solenoids outside as mine. I don't have 88-89 so, I can't verify what PFJ said, he probably right, since he has one.

You probably just clean the filter which allows more oil passage to the solenoid. Sometime that would do the trick, while you there, why not clean the internal too Have fun with the gear box again. Agree, it made huge different, I am smiling with the smooth gear change in the last few days....
This is correct...2 solenoids on the '88/'89 autos. As soon as Cuda clued me into your post, i went out and looked at the front of the tranny and saw only two of them.

Hopefully, cleaning these two will give me a few thousand more miles of smooth riding.

Thanks Folks!
2ndSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
dano
Prelude Aficionado

dano has disabled reputation
The 88/89 K4 transmission has a set of 2 solenoids located at the front of the transmission.

The 90/91 transmission has 2 sets of 2 solenoids (total of 4) located at the front of the transmission.

dano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #13
spacemaster
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndSi View Post
This is correct...2 solenoids on the '88/'89 autos. As soon as Cuda clued me into your post, i went out and looked at the front of the tranny and saw only two of them.

Hopefully, cleaning these two will give me a few thousand more miles of smooth riding.

Thanks Folks!
Would be ten thousands miles more ...
Old 04-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
turbo6jc

turbo6jc is on a distinguished road
89 Prelude 2.0S

I have an 89 Prelude 2.0 S. I am having the same problem. Anyone know where I can buy new solenoids?
turbo6jc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
1funryd
Elite Member

1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 1funryd Send a message via MSN to 1funryd Send a message via Yahoo to 1funryd

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo6jc View Post
I have an 89 Prelude 2.0 S. I am having the same problem. Anyone know where I can buy new solenoids?
Your only chances are a transmission shop or the dealer, you can try to see if an auto parts store can get it, but I doubt it.

Other than that, it might be a discontinued item.

Sean

3rd Gen Aftermarket Manager

(Clik Here)
Email:

(Danny19 - JDM RH Drive) (1Funryd - H23 Swap) (B20luda - Turbo Charged H22)Representing All of 3rd Gens!!!
1funryd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #16
turbo6jc

turbo6jc is on a distinguished road
already checked the dealer & it is discontinued. I'm going to try to clean them since the tranny is out of the car. Thanks
turbo6jc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #17
91BeaterLude
Lude Addict

91BeaterLude is on a distinguished road
This site is a goldmine for helpful advice!
91BeaterLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #18
Dexter
Prelude Aficionado

Dexter will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dexter Send a message via Yahoo to Dexter
FAQ this if it hasn't been already.

Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
cudaboy
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
FAQ this if it hasn't been already.
I had it added awhile back.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
WesA69

WesA69 is on a distinguished road
can the solenoid cause my issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemaster View Post
If your car has the following symptoms, this procedure will help
a) S4 indicator flashing
b) A/T code of 2 or 8
c) stuck with one gear (usually at higher gear)
d) hard to shift between gear, etc.

In my case, my car has all a, b and c

Our prelude A/T is very strong and hard to fail. The above symptoms usually indicate that either or both Solenoids (lockup and Shift) are not functioning as expected. Luckly, the solenoids are external and easy to remove, we can, at least easily, restore its functionality (in worst case, replace a new one, hopefully not).

This procedure is to help you just that.

0) Disconnect the battery -ve

1) Remove all air intake, etc. to clear the path for easy access to solenoid. Pic below is shown the solenoids which attached to the A/T box.

The top solenoid is the lockup control and the bottom one is the shift control solenoid.

2) Carefully unplug the wire connection from both solenoids by lifting the tap from the plug. Pic below shown two unplugs solenoid wire plugs

3) Remove three 10mm bolts from the lockup solenoid and remove the solenoid. It is a bit strong matting to the transmission housing, with just little force, it will be off from the housing. Here what it look like...

Closer, you can see the solenoid gasket filter attached to the solenoid. In my case, it has full of small metal on the filter, that block the passage of oil to the solenoid valve. At this point I go ahead and remove the remaining solenoid.

4) Carefully pry off the gasket filter from the solenoids. Here is my shift solenoid filter

Now we can start to do the fun stuff in order to restore the solenoid

5) If you want to reuse your gasket filter, then you need to clean the filter with brake cleanner, ensure the filter is clean. This allows oil passage to the solenoids.

After I clean the filter.

Now we turn to the solenoids themselve. The solenoid has two valves (A and B). Both need to activate (or click) when 12V signal apply to it. You can test this by apply a very short brief 12V +ve to one wire (either wire, one for each valve) and -ve to the body of the solenoid. Careful, not to let the +ve touch the -ve wire. In my case, I nearly did. With a full functional solenoid, you should hear a click or clicks. In my case, one valve is quite (stuck) and the other is very weak click. This indicated that my solenoid has stuck with all metall dust in it. and I need to clean the inside.

6) Let's start to clean the solenoid. First you can see the holes. Just blow the brake cleaner to each hole, you will see some metal dust coming out with the brake fluid.

But that alone is not enough, after you apply some brake cleaner, moderately tap it to a clean tow on the ground a few times. This will shake the dust inside the valve. Repeat the brake cleaner and tap..tap... during this time, you might see some metal dust seeping out of the hole.

7) Check the solenoid valve, by applying +ve and ground to solenoid body as above. You will hear the click is getting loder and kicking stronger. If not, repeat step 6 untill you see no more metal dust or you satisfy that both valves have strong and louder click. Now you know you have bring it back to life...

repeat the same procedure for the lockup control. Here are both of them and they are clean

Put the gasket filter back in

9) Apply some transimission oil to the gasket (a good excuse to check the fluid level by pull the yellow fluid level dipstick out )

10) Clean the matting at the transmission house with clean rug and brake cleanner

11) Put back the lower solenoid first with three 10mm bolf and apply 12Nm (9lb) torque. I don't have much space for my bloody torque wrench so I guesstimate. Then the put back the top solenoid, similar to the bottom one.

12) Plug all the solenoid plugs back into car harness connection. Easy enough

13) put back the battery -ve and check everything around you, makesure no nut or nuts hanging around

Start the car and start to drive and enjoy a smoother shift and gear engaging......

That's all folks!!!!
When i'm on interstate at 70mph my rpm is between 3300 to 3500? It sometimes downshifts when it didn't need to. Any help I would be very thankful.
WesA69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #21
KDM_Prelude
Getting Comfortable

KDM_Prelude is on a distinguished road
I was wondering if this same maintenance for the auto solenoids would work for the 5th gen autos?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
KDM_Prelude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #22
spacemaster
True Luder

If 5th gen has external solenoids, then why not. I applied this DIY on my legend, it worked a treat. Exactly the same....they are the same design.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:04 AM   #23
Acharya

Acharya is on a distinguished road
@ WesA69,

have you checked both your throttle control cable that is attached to the A/T and the throttle cable that is attached to your carburetor?
By the time these cables wear out and the stock adjustment does not provide the required tension.
Anyhow the throttle control cable or rather the throttle control lever on the A/T should start to move as engine speed increases/you press down the gas pedal.

I had the same issue like you and fixed it by doing this.
---------

regards from Germany
Acharya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #24
moskcisub

moskcisub is on a distinguished road
great thread
I am a new guy here so I hope that I am doing this ok.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what it is when the s3 light flashes.
The car will start fine and drive ok untill I get to about 20-25 mph then the flashing starts .the trans was just rebuilt with engine b20a5 in 1991 body I also got a 4ws rack out of an 88 . everything was good until this . I used this thread to remove and clean solenold with no change .any help ?
Thanks for the time
mos
moskcisub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #25
xkjnboix
Lude Boss

xkjnboix will become famous soon enough
you have to count the number of flashes ( note LONG flashes vs short flashes ) long = 10 short = 1 add them together and thats your TCU error code ( NOT THE SAME AS A CEL ). look up that code in the factory service manual under the FAQ stickie in the 3g sectiton

Disregard Honda Tuning, Acquire 4ws!!

[B][COLOR=SlateGray][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]

xkjnboix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement