Only running on two cylinders - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Little_Raskal
Lude Dude

Little_Raskal is on a distinguished road
Only running on two cylinders

Ok here's my dilema, my car started feeling like crap and misfiring. When I checked it out I realized it was only running on 2 cylinders. I checked for codes and got a code 16 which is fuel injector circuit. I followed the flow chart and it said if I get a clicking at all the injectors then its the ecu. I was speaking to someone and they said it can't be because then the car wouldn't start. Any thoughts on this situation?
We are the junkyard scroungers. We are jackals and vultures. We are the scavengers, the seekers. We are the people who drive around with metric sockets and wrenches in our cars. We are the people who sucessfully attempt auto-to-manual and S-to-Si swaps. We are the people who will buy a 2nd car just because we need parts for our 1st car. We are the people who buy extra parts at the junkyard because people on PP.com might need them.
We are fully dedicated and passionately mad. We are 3G:
Little_Raskal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
mrlizard27

mrlizard27 is on a distinguished road
cap wires plugs.....
Old 11-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Little_Raskal
Lude Dude

I'm getting spark on all four and I had someone do a compression test and he said its pretty much even across the board.
We are the junkyard scroungers. We are jackals and vultures. We are the scavengers, the seekers. We are the people who drive around with metric sockets and wrenches in our cars. We are the people who sucessfully attempt auto-to-manual and S-to-Si swaps. We are the people who will buy a 2nd car just because we need parts for our 1st car. We are the people who buy extra parts at the junkyard because people on PP.com might need them.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
FuzzyGreen
Lude Boss

FuzzyGreen will become famous soon enough
With the engine on, try pulling off the plug wires from each cylinder one by one to see if the idle stays the same or gets worse. If it stays the same you know that, that cylinder is not firing.

Usually this problem is caused by plug wires having a bad connection to the plugs or some other sort of electrical problem. I heard you say you have spark, but please re-check.

Pics:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FuzzyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
Little_Raskal
Lude Dude

I did that and its how I determined I was only on two. Cylinders 1 and 2 are the ones that aren't running, I'm only running on 3 and 4.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
dano
Prelude Aficionado

dano has disabled reputation
Soooo...we are getting spark to all 4 cylinders. The fuel injectors are working for all 4 cylinders and we have good compression for all 4 cylinders. Cylinders 1 and 2 are not firing.

It's either the Wrath of God or there is something wrong with the test procedures being applied.

dano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
luzer
Elite Member

luzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
Soooo...we are getting spark to all 4 cylinders. The fuel injectors are working for all 4 cylinders and we have good compression for all 4 cylinders. Cylinders 1 and 2 are not firing.

It's either the Wrath of God or there is something wrong with the test procedures being applied.

He didn't say he verified that the injectors are working correctly.

1989 Prelude 2.0Si 4WS
2013 Subaru WRX
1999 Chevy K2500 Surburban

Quote:
should have posted this in the noob thread.
Link to noob thread...

luzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
Ludercrs
Prelude Aficionado

Ludercrs will become famous soon enough

Prelude of the Month
ya sounds like clogged injectors or just not working injectors.

Ludercrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
Kennybrook84
Getting Comfortable

Kennybrook84 is on a distinguished road
I just had this same problem. After changing the whole ignition system and messing with the injectors it ended up being the sensor on the end of the exhaust cam next to the distributor.
Kennybrook84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
dano
Prelude Aficionado

dano has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzer View Post
He didn't say he verified that the injectors are working correctly.
I stand corrected.. I thought that he implied that he as getting "clicking" from all 4 injectors.

dano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
FuzzyGreen
Lude Boss

FuzzyGreen will become famous soon enough
It's not too hard (but dangerous) to take the injectors out and test them by having the entire fuel rail spray into a bucket. This gives you a quick, full answer if it's the fuel system or not. I'm still betting it's not.

The crank angle sensor sounds more plausible.

Pics:

FuzzyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
eurobob1978
Lude Dude

eurobob1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Injectors static open or closed is the money bet. Put a open end wrench on the injectors for the cylinders not working and slightly tap them. I've encountered paint flakes and such that seem to make it in there. Tapping them slightly may free them up. I've only had to do this 2 times, but worked each time. Worth a try.
eurobob1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
HornyNinja
Ludacious

HornyNinja is on a distinguished road
or it could be the injector resistor box on the firewall. check all the connections from that all the way to the rail. if even one is off or lose then it will screw with most of ur electrical. i will also point out that with injectors the wiring is usually paired. meaning cyls 1 and 2 are paired and cyls 3 and 4 are paired. and since cyls 3 and 4 are working cyls 1 and 2 are not. so in conclusion i believe it be something electrical over an injector.
HornyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement