ABS (and BRAKE) light issues... - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
PreClude
True Luder

PreClude will become famous soon enough
ABS (and BRAKE) light issues...

Recently I changed out my front rotors and pads. I was going to attempt to install new wheel studs on the driver's side because one is stripped out. Once I realized how involved it was going to be, I was already halfway through taking apart the hub assembly, etc. So I put everything back together and said f* it for now. Afterwards, my ABS light came on. Then it would go on and off occasionally. Now it's on 100% of the time.

I'm sure I messed something up when reinstalling everything... or maybe the ABS module is bad. I don't know. I haven't really tried to see if my ABS actually works.... but I know the light is always blaring me in the face lol. I did bleed the brake fluid system properly and I am not low on fluid..

And then now, it's strange, but my regular BRAKE light stays on sometimes. Usually when cold in the morning... but sometimes not. When I disengage the parking brake, the light stays on. It will go off, but sometimes come back intermittently. Then it will stay off for the most part. The whole thing is just strange to me because I've never had a car do this before.

Suggestions?
PreClude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
H22A4 VTEC

H22A4 VTEC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreClude View Post
Recently I changed out my front rotors and pads. I was going to attempt to install new wheel studs on the driver's side because one is stripped out. Once I realized how involved it was going to be, I was already halfway through taking apart the hub assembly, etc. So I put everything back together and said f* it for now. Afterwards, my ABS light came on. Then it would go on and off occasionally. Now it's on 100% of the time.

I'm sure I messed something up when reinstalling everything... or maybe the ABS module is bad. I don't know. I haven't really tried to see if my ABS actually works.... but I know the light is always blaring me in the face lol. I did bleed the brake fluid system properly and I am not low on fluid..

And then now, it's strange, but my regular BRAKE light stays on sometimes. Usually when cold in the morning... but sometimes not. When I disengage the parking brake, the light stays on. It will go off, but sometimes come back intermittently. Then it will stay off for the most part. The whole thing is just strange to me because I've never had a car do this before.

Suggestions?
could have damaged the sensor
H22A4 VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
Darren's 01 SH
Prelude Power P-O

Darren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to all
Check the fluid level in the reservoir and more importantly check the float in the reservoir cap because those are known to stick and will do exactly what you are talking about.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

My build thread -project resurrection

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Darren's 01 SH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
MommysLittleMonster
Opinionated Bastard

MommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MommysLittleMonster

Prelude of the Month

Sounds like you might have damaged the wheel speed sensor on the hub. I had an ABS light until I did three wheel speed sensor on my car too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MommysLittleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #5
Kronn 98SH
Prelude Aficionado

Kronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Kronn 98SH Send a message via Yahoo to Kronn 98SH
Let's avoid guessing.

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=312936

2006 CRF150F - sold
2006 YZ250F - sold
2006 S2000 (Laguna Blue Pearl) - purchased bone stock on 6/16/12
Kronn 98SH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 01:00 AM   #6
PreClude
True Luder

Alright, I'll check the fluid again. I just checked it today and it was good. I will see about the floater thingy sticking maybe. That would cause the parking brake light to go on and off or stay on even when the brake is disengaged?

I could have sworn I tried to pull codes with the jumper pin for the ABS. The light just stayed solid. But I will try again.

Mommys - you're saying the wheel speed sensor, separate from the ABS sensor (?), could be throwing the ABS light on? And what do you mean you did "three wheel speed sensor"?
Old 10-18-2011, 02:44 AM   #7
PreClude
True Luder

Light still keeps coming on and off. The parking break light. Fluid levels and condition is fine. No leaking.

E-brake cable messed up maybe?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
STLude
Lude Addict

STLude is on a distinguished road
i have the same issue on cold mornings with my parking brake, it stays on and then once the car warms up it goes away, i'm sure it's not hurting anything just annoying...

2000 Honda Prelude
STLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #9
PreClude
True Luder

Well I finally got around to pulling the ABS light code. Or trying to. This is it. I just need to look up what the flashes indicate. I procrastinated until we had a bad snow storm here and I really needed my ABS! lol

http://youtu.be/iydi5wuBWZ8
Old 11-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #10
Kronn 98SH
Prelude Aficionado

Kronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreClude View Post
Well I finally got around to pulling the ABS light code. Or trying to. This is it. I just need to look up what the flashes indicate.
The link has already been provided.

2006 CRF150F - sold
2006 YZ250F - sold
Old 11-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #11
PreClude
True Luder

Yes, thank you. It's code 14, it looks like.

Just not sure if that's a wheel speed sensor or the ABS sensor or what. Helms manual is a little gray. Going to have to take the wheel off tomorrow and check it out I guess.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
dblair
True Luder

dblair is on a distinguished road
In order to follow the Helm trouble shooting process you need a multi tester. If the process makes no sense to you you should probably take it to a shop, unless you spot something obvious with your visual.

You'll also need to check the helm in order to reset the ABS light as just disconnecting the battery won't do it.
dblair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
Pringer H
Lude Dude

Pringer H is on a distinguished road
the parking brake light is caused by the brake fluid level switch being intermittent. it typically goes bad after a while when the climate starts getting colder.
Pringer H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
Kronn 98SH
Prelude Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblair View Post
You'll also need to check the helm in order to reset the ABS light as just disconnecting the battery won't do it.
Nope, he just needs to read the thread that was already linked.

2006 CRF150F - sold
2006 YZ250F - sold
Old 11-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #15
PreClude
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringer H View Post
the parking brake light is caused by the brake fluid level switch being intermittent. it typically goes bad after a while when the climate starts getting colder.
What switch is this? Easily replaceable? Accessible? Cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronn 98SH View Post
Nope, he just needs to read the thread that was already linked.
Thanks again. I will clear the code and see if it comes back. I have a feeling it will. If it does, has anyone here had success with a Code 14 ABS?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #16
Pringer H
Lude Dude

Pringer H is on a distinguished road
sorry man i never actually saw the switch and my local honda dealership did the work for me. I bet its either in the center console attached to the ebrake or somewhere around the ebrake cables on the rear calipers.
Pringer H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #17
PreClude
True Luder

Thanks, it's OK.

I pulled the wheel off to take a look. Yea, there WAS no wheel speed/ABS sensor there at all. Looked like it got cut or ripped off actually. It was a clean cut on the wiring, but the sensor part of it wasn't even there bolted down or anything.

Looks like I'll be needing that $100 part soon lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement