Best place(s) to buy H22 motors? - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
PreClude
True Luder

PreClude will become famous soon enough
Best place(s) to buy H22 motors?

Hey guys, I guess I'm in the market for a new motor It sucks since I just bought the darn thing two months ago, but oh well. It's either fix it or junk it at this point, I guess. I'm not looking for anything fancy. A low mileage motor with a warranty would be really nice. Or something like that. I have 140k on the current motor, so anything is better than that lol. I'm having a hard time finding a place to buy H22 motors though? Lots of Civic/Integra motors of course, but as always, it seems the Prelude is the long lost forgotten cousin of those "other" Honda cars...

PS: Please don't say the junkyard, because I've tried that. There isn't a junkyard in my state that has a decent motor that I would trust, even if they had it lol. I'm looking for engine rebuild companies, or places that specifically work with Honda and/or Prelude motors and know what they're doing. The dealership that my car is sitting at currently found a "used" motor with 90k miles on it for $3750 for me, plus $1700 labor to install. That's a little outrageous for me.... considering I come from places like the WRX scene where you can get an entirely BRAND NEW EJ257 (STi short block) for $1799.
PreClude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
98vtec
bangin' gears

98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all

Prelude of the Month
www.hmotorsonline.com
98vtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
PreClude
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vtec View Post
How is their service/quality/reliability/etc? I only see two H22 motors that will work for me I think, and both are over $3000 lol. I bought my car for $4000
Old 07-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
Rduenas_92si
Ludicrous..

Rduenas_92si is on a distinguished road
ur looking at the kits, u dont need a kit

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30016
that ones comes with everything u neeed for swap

heres just the motor
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30029
1300 for obd2 and 999 for obd1, nowhere near 3k. goodluck
Rduenas_92si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
lilredlude
I am Prelude

lilredlude will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to lilredlude
i had great service/engine from hmotors, steve is very helpful too.

95 Jeep Grand Cherokee
86 Honda Interceptor 500cc
01 Honda Prelude Base
lilredlude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 06:14 AM   #7
schmitty
Lude Boss

schmitty has a spectacular aura aboutschmitty has a spectacular aura aboutschmitty has a spectacular aura about
basically hmotors.com is what many people use now. the service is great and the motors are impeccably clean for used engines. just search around and you'll see

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PM me if you have questions

be the change you want to see in the world
schmitty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
MIKEYB203

MIKEYB203 is on a distinguished road
Just received my Euro R H22A from Engine Land in Canada, they were very helpful in my decision of ordering the motor. Having two of them in stock, they sent me extra pictures and let me pick the one I wanted, then immediately sent the compression tests I requested. They also also shipped the motor immediatley where I recieved it in less than 5 days (ordered it on a Thursday too). Upon recieving it I noticed the single belt crankshaft pulley was damaged, and the company agreed to split the cost on a brand new OEM one (although it is the dual belt design). Still have yet to send them the bill so I'll keep you guys updated on how that goes, and how the engine is running when I drop it in within the next couple days.
MIKEYB203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
crazygat
Lude Dude

crazygat is on a distinguished road
i baught my engine from hmotors i recomend you that place they are good on prices and warrantys
crazygat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
PreClude
True Luder

Alright, wow, everything points me in the direction of Hmotors lol.... I appreciate it guys... I talked to Steve on the phone today and he seems like a knowledgable and friendly guy. Always a plus.

Is there any way to tell for sure what kind of mileage came/comes on the motor you purchase via Hmotors? I mean, is there a VIN or another number stamped on the block or anything that you can trace back through the DMV or something and see the last reported mileage or anything like that? Just curious, especially since Hmotors seems to stock a lot of motors that haven't been produced in 10+ years at this point.... for example, I'm trying to maybe buy an H22A4 from them for my Prelude. But I want to know for sure that if they say it has 45,000 miles, it has 45,000 miles.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #11
Kyleb1115
NOMnomNOM

Kyleb1115 will become famous soon enoughKyleb1115 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Kyleb1115 Send a message via MSN to Kyleb1115 Send a message via Yahoo to Kyleb1115 Send a message via Skype™ to Kyleb1115

Prelude of the Month

did anyone mention Hmotorsonline??!!? =]

I will add:

no way that i know of to tell the mileage for sure.

i recieved my H22 extremely clean. it is also stamped as a 97 and supposedly one of those "leftover extra" engines honda made, for just that, to be an extra. so i dont know.. im extremely happy with my motor thats all!

1 of 2 JRSC H22A 4th gens
276WHP 238TQ on Dynapak @ Evans Tuning

<-Or PM me for more info and a discount.

Last edited by Kyleb1115; 07-08-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Kyleb1115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #12
NordicMistBB6
Elite Member

NordicMistBB6 will become famous soon enoughNordicMistBB6 will become famous soon enough

from me! lol, i have a h22a4 out of a 98 with 88k on it, just letting you know

but yea, ive heard nothing but great things about hmotors.

Last edited by NordicMistBB6; 07-08-2011 at 08:57 PM.
NordicMistBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #13
PreClude
True Luder

Well I'm all for purchasing through Hmotors since everyone and their mother seems to suggest them. Plus they have a great selection and price and I actually spoke with someone in the United States who spoke english today on the phone. That always makes me feel better lol.

I guess it's just a roll of the dice on the mileage of the motor then. Yea, it might be clean... but I could probably take my 140,000 mile motor now and shine it up enough to make you think it didn't have 140,000 miles lol
Old 07-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #14
MiNDTRiCKz
Lude Addict

MiNDTRiCKz will become famous soon enough

Prelude of the Month
steve has a nice office and nice garage full of motors. i went to hmotors myself to pick up a motor. he let me pick a motor LOL. but i went with the one he suggested.

MiNDTRiCKz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #15
lilredlude
I am Prelude

lilredlude will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to lilredlude
you won't know unless you buy a whole jdm front clip.

95 Jeep Grand Cherokee
86 Honda Interceptor 500cc
01 Honda Prelude Base
lilredlude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #16
H22BB6
Lude Addict

H22BB6 will become famous soon enough
i've had good experience with tigerjapanese.com they're customer service was good and shipping isn't to expensive, plus free lift gate and residential delivery to. I'll be ordering from them again soon f20b into my crx i just picked up.
BB Squad member #38 (v.2)

J swap prelude soon
H2B full blown race car Crx 11.6 @ 117 215whp stock block k killer
Reason why I've disappeared ^
H22BB6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #17
cgbuter1

cgbuter1 is on a distinguished road
I ordered my H23a vtec motor from tigerjapanese.com and everything was flawless no problems with the motor what so ever.. I only paid $625 for the motor and $220 for the shipping. I doubt the H23a vtec motors cost that much now that everyone is getting them and loving them lol..
cgbuter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #18
herb

herb is on a distinguished road
herb in tn i have a h22 a4 motor for my 97 . for sale 800.00 rebuilt head block needs

preclude i have an h22 with rebuilt head .block as well but not rebuilt but do have all the parts to put it together ..invested 1300 so far will sell for 800.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreClude View Post
Hey guys, I guess I'm in the market for a new motor It sucks since I just bought the darn thing two months ago, but oh well. It's either fix it or junk it at this point, I guess. I'm not looking for anything fancy. A low mileage motor with a warranty would be really nice. Or something like that. I have 140k on the current motor, so anything is better than that lol. I'm having a hard time finding a place to buy H22 motors though? Lots of Civic/Integra motors of course, but as always, it seems the Prelude is the long lost forgotten cousin of those "other" Honda cars...

PS: Please don't say the junkyard, because I've tried that. There isn't a junkyard in my state that has a decent motor that I would trust, even if they had it lol. I'm looking for engine rebuild companies, or places that specifically work with Honda and/or Prelude motors and know what they're doing. The dealership that my car is sitting at currently found a "used" motor with 90k miles on it for $3750 for me, plus $1700 labor to install. That's a little outrageous for me.... considering I come from places like the WRX scene where you can get an entirely BRAND NEW EJ257 (STi short block) for $1799.
herb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #19
asianpoet
Lude Dude

asianpoet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by herb View Post
preclude i have an h22 with rebuilt head .block as well but not rebuilt but do have all the parts to put it together ..invested 1300 so far will sell for 800.00
this posting is a little bit out dated!
asianpoet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #20
zeedood

zeedood is on a distinguished road
Curious..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vtec View Post
What's the shipping usually run on these?
zeedood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 01:32 AM   #21
psud3ity
Super Moderator

psud3ity is a glorious beacon of lightpsud3ity is a glorious beacon of lightpsud3ity is a glorious beacon of lightpsud3ity is a glorious beacon of lightpsud3ity is a glorious beacon of lightpsud3ity is a glorious beacon of light
hmotorsonline is the only place to buy one. Wouldn't waste time with anyone else.

Shipping was like $200 from cali to PA a few years back.

H22A BOOSTED 325HP @ 9psi - Soon to be 650HP
psud3ity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #22
MommysLittleMonster
Opinionated Bastard

MommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MommysLittleMonster

Prelude of the Month

Another +1 for buying from Hmotorsonline. That's where my friend got the H22A for his swap, I'll have to ask him what he paid for shipping.

MommysLittleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #23
gzes
True Luder

gzes is on a distinguished road
If your in tx then jdmenginecorp is what you'd want
gzes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #24
eurorh22ludin
Lude Dude

eurorh22ludin is on a distinguished road
I bough my jdm h22a Euro R with t2w4 lsd trans at approx. 4k miles (my buddy had the whole 97 euro r accord that's how we knew the miles) and jdm ecu my buddy was outa texas his business is called jdmstates thats where i got mine and hes got like 30 h22s in stock no more euros atm though
eurorh22ludin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #25
grushko
Lude Addict

grushko will become famous soon enoughgrushko will become famous soon enough
I would open up craigslist and find place locally who does sell our motors. Then come in person and do leak down test - this way you can choose and be 100% sure that motor is tip top. Plus most businesses offer warranty and overnight installation.

grushko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement