Cracked thermostat housing - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
kyle931

kyle931 is on a distinguished road
Cracked thermostat housing

Hi. My thermostat housing cracked in half and i cannot find a replacement anywhere. if someone has one they would be willing to sell i would greatly appreciate it, or if someone knows where to get one that would be awesome.

Also forgot to mention its a 1991 with the B21A1

Thanks,
Kyle
kyle931 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet
Send a message via Yahoo to cudaboy

Holy crap that is wierd maybe you were low on antifreeze and it froze. Here is a link. #14 and or #12. If replacing #14 then you will need oring #13. I am sure someone onhere will have one used for you though. Check ebay too. 88-91 prelude.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Pr...r%20Pump%20(SI)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'91 Si 4ws 5spd(black) "Black Betty"
'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cudaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
kyle931

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaboy View Post
Holy crap that is wierd maybe you were low on antifreeze and it froze. Here is a link. #14 and or #12. If replacing #14 then you will need oring #13. I am sure someone onhere will have one used for you though. Check ebay too. 88-91 prelude.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=32&productID=6&yearID=30 &doorID=1&gradeID=423&areaID=2&transmissionID=3&or iginID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=1&idAndImageID=5777%20459144&isBigPict ure=False&pageName=Water%20Pump%20(SI)
yeah im thinking getting a used is cheaper. someone sent me a pm saying they have a used one but i cant reply cause i dont have 10 posts.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Harmswahy
Preludepower Member

Harmswahy has a spectacular aura aboutHarmswahy has a spectacular aura aboutHarmswahy has a spectacular aura about
get 10 posts. 8 more right under me.

Harmswahy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
kyle931

yeah shouldnt take too long
Old 12-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
kyle931

only 5 more
Old 12-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
kyle931

well so much for that, its not available

12 19311-PK2-000 COVER, THERMOSTAT (NOT AVAILABLE)
Old 12-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
kyle931

i cant believe its this hard to get a part
Old 12-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
TripleLude
Elite Member

TripleLude has a spectacular aura aboutTripleLude has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Pr...r%20Pump%20(SI)
It sounds like you are right on the money. I bet the coolant mixture was below 50/50. When water freezes and becomes ice, it expands. I'll bet hoses will start bursting by the spring time.

Replace the hoses while you are in there. Upper/lower radiator, heater hose, and the coolant hose around the distributor/EGR pipe. Those are the 3 locations the coolant hoses most likely leak first.

|
|
|
|
|
|
TripleLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
kyle931

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleLude View Post
It sounds like you are right on the money. I bet the coolant mixture was below 50/50. When water freezes and becomes ice, it expands. I'll bet hoses will start bursting by the spring time.

Replace the hoses while you are in there. Upper/lower radiator, heater hose, and the coolant hose around the distributor/EGR pipe. Those are the 3 locations the coolant hoses most likely leak first.
yeah all hoses have been replaced so has the radiator and thermostat. all i need is to find that thermostat cover (like the nice shiny one you have lol) to complete it.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
1funryd
Elite Member

1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 1funryd Send a message via MSN to 1funryd Send a message via Yahoo to 1funryd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle931 View Post
i cant believe its this hard to get a part
Our ludes are 20+ years old so no more parts made, and you can only get whats left in the US stock.

You will find this out real quick.

I say that its time to consider the H swap. (hehe..)

Sean

3rd Gen Aftermarket Manager

(Clik Here)
Email:

(Danny19 - JDM RH Drive) (1Funryd - H23 Swap) (B20luda - Turbo Charged H22)Representing All of 3rd Gens!!!
1funryd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
TripleLude
Elite Member

I know I have an extra thermo housing for an 88 S (B20a3) lude but I don't think it is compatible.

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 12-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
2nd one
Elite Member

2nd one will become famous soon enough2nd one will become famous soon enough

^^^its not.

2nd one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #14
kyle931

well still nothing. im gonna try machining my own if i cant find one. dont know how that will turn out
Old 12-30-2010, 09:32 PM   #15
cntrdctn86
Ludacious

cntrdctn86 will become famous soon enoughcntrdctn86 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to cntrdctn86
I've actually heard from a couple other cali 3rd genners at meets that this has been a common problem for them. I've never cracked one, but i'm sure it happens. If you can't find one by next week, I can stop by one of the pick n pulls up here and grab one for you. whatever it costs me + shipping and paypal fees.

cntrdctn86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #16
ugly3gs
Lude Dude

ugly3gs is on a distinguished road
Hey I have one...I found it in my trunk when I bought my car, haha. I know it must be for either B20 or B21 because it doesn't look like the one on my b20a3. As you can see, I have less than 10 posts, but that'll change.
ugly3gs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #17
3gPreludetuner24
Lude Boss

3gPreludetuner24 is on a distinguished road

Prelude of the Month
Dammm I didn't know these were discontinued. I see 3rd gens at the junkyard all the time and they have these by the dozen. I have a spare one if you want it. Its in excellent condition. Lmk. You just want the round piece that conects to the upper radiator hose right? Cause that's the one I have. I don't have the whole housing. Funny thing I was gonna take it to the scrap a few days ago with a bunch of shit I had piled in my garage. Also we need to start a thread about discontinued parts for our 3rd gens. That way we can start gathering all these parts. I see 3rd gens at the junkyard here in cali a lot. Like 6 or 7 at a time. That's a lot of ludes going to waste.

F/S 94-97 Honda Accord rear lip

2008 Nissan Versa S Sedan- Family/Daily Driver for now
1990 Honda Prelude Si- Racecar
3gPreludetuner24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #18
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet
Send a message via Yahoo to cudaboy

Thanks for the help ugly3g but that part is still available but the original poster said crap the part he needed is discoed. Which the bulbous cap is.

Edit: I just realised. You have a rare waterneck. It has the hole in the backside for the thermovalve. If the threads are still good in all holes including that rear then You can cram an apropriate size npt fitting reducer with 1/8th" internal hole and run a seperate water temp gauge with electrical sensor without piggy backing off original gauge sensor. Thats what I did. Plus if one sensor goes out or gauge you still have the other.

'91 Si 4ws 5spd(black) "Black Betty"
'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

Last edited by cudaboy; 12-30-2010 at 11:16 PM.
cudaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #19
kyle931

Quote:
Thanks for the help ugly3g but that part is still available but the original poster said crap the part he needed is discoed. Which the bulbous cap is.

Edit: I just realised. You have a rare waterneck. It has the hole in the backside for the thermovalve. If the threads are still good in all holes including that rear then You can cram an apropriate size npt fitting reducer with 1/8th" internal hole and run a seperate water temp gauge with electrical sensor without piggy backing off original gauge sensor. Thats what I did. Plus if one sensor goes out or gauge you still have the other.
well good news and bad news. good news i got it up and running with some jb weld and it seems to hold fine. more good news is im upgrading to a 98 prelude. bad news is i wont have 4 wheel steering anymore
Old 01-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #20
TripleLude
Elite Member

Pff haha so the bad news is you are downgrading to a 5th gen lude.

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 01-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #21
kyle931

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleLude View Post
Pff haha so the bad news is you are downgrading to a 5th gen lude.
im seriously thinking about it right now. but i love the look of 3rd gens so much more than the 5th gens, i cant decide now
Old 01-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #22
Harmswahy
Preludepower Member

Harmswahy has a spectacular aura aboutHarmswahy has a spectacular aura aboutHarmswahy has a spectacular aura about
Yup, thats a downgrade.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #23
1funryd
Elite Member

1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 1funryd Send a message via MSN to 1funryd Send a message via Yahoo to 1funryd

5th gens are very saucey, but they do not feel like the 3rd gens. Just too heavy.

They can be made to be faster, but we all know that its never really going to feel like the 3rd gen, no other car can(at least without a lot of money into it).

I would call it an upgrade in a different direction.

Sean

3rd Gen Aftermarket Manager

(Clik Here)
Email:

(Danny19 - JDM RH Drive) (1Funryd - H23 Swap) (B20luda - Turbo Charged H22)Representing All of 3rd Gens!!!
1funryd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #24
ugly3gs
Lude Dude

ugly3gs is on a distinguished road
Quote:

That's pretty cool, maybe I'll do this someday. I'm guessing that the previous owner of my car got a hold of this one with intentions to switch the one currently installed, but realized its not the same one so he left it in the trunk. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle931 View Post
well good news and bad news. good news i got it up and running with some jb weld and it seems to hold fine. more good news is im upgrading to a 98 prelude. bad news is i wont have 4 wheel steering anymore
Don't downgrade!
ugly3gs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #25
Harmswahy
Preludepower Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1funryd View Post
5th gens are very saucey, but they do not feel like the 3rd gens. Just too heavy.

They can be made to be faster, but we all know that its never really going to feel like the 3rd gen, no other car can(at least without a lot of money into it).

I would call it an upgrade in a different direction.

A sidegrade. lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement