Honda Prelude Forum banner

H22A_Tyler's New Motor New Look Thread

4th Gen_ 
53K views 765 replies 68 participants last post by  h22a_Tyler 
#1 · (Edited)
Been a member here on prelude power since 2006, started off with a 1993 prelude H23 With Auto transmission. with in the first year of owning it i dropped out the h23 for a jdm h22a with automatic transmission. About a month into that the Auto trans started slipping. So out with the Auto and in with the standard. Swapped in a H23 5 Speed transmission. After that i had a pretty good run with the car it was more of a weekend cruiser on nice days. One day i let my brother borrow the car, and it was returned to me with a warped crank and destroyed key way.

Then I ran into financial issues and was forced to sell my evo, making me need to fix my prelude for a daily driver. So I ordered my second H22 from Hmotors online. I decided to paint my engine bay and try my hardest to get the car in the best shape i could on my budget. Dropped the new h22 in and painted the bay, replaced pretty much everything but the abs. Had the car for 6 months as my daily driver then i broke 16 teeth off the timing belt bending 6 valves. At this point i was up in the air about it almost sold this car several times but came to my senses and realized i have way to much heart and time invested in this car and fixed it again. had the head machined did the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and valves done.

Since then i have been hitting the streets hard in the prelude representing for lude owners everywhere. I may not have the best looking lude, but i am a die hard luder at heart and just keep taking the abuse this car gives me.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

This will be my first thread actually documenting the progress on my second h22 swap into this car.

here is a photo time line to show the life it has lived up to this point
before you go through the thread and see its progress.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

DAY 1 OF OPERATION NEW MOTOR NEW LOOK:

Added October 16

after a quick pressure wash

Added October 17

Added October 18

Added October 24

Added October 26

Added October 31

Added November 2

Added November 4

Added November 7

Added November 11

Added November 27

heres where my car as far as i know is the only 4th gen with 2 mounting holes in the engine bracket which caused me a day.

then the right hole

this is the welded nut that is causing me problems

Added december 11th

Added January 23

ON THE ROAD AGAIN

new wheels finally:

Another set of new wheels i got: 1/23/12

start up video after head was machined/headgasket/waterpump/tensioner/timingbelt and 6 valves

Current Set up Consists of:

Modifications

Engine/Trans/Exhaust:

- JDM H22A (2nd H22 swap converted from h23a)
- H23 5 speed trans (converted 5spd from auto)
- Innovative Motor Mounts
- Cold Air Intake
- 4-2-1 Header
- 2.5 piping
- Hollowed Cat
- Meagan Racing Exhaust 3'
- Mishimoto Slim Fan on Switch

Interior/Audio:

- A/M Steering Wheel
- Digital Tachometer
- Alpine Head unit
- Infinity Speakers

Exterior:
- Spoon Front Lip
- eyelids
- depo 1 piece headlights
- Seibon carbon fiber hood
- LED 96 rear spoiler
- Depo black-housed headlights
- Accord 3 piece rear Lip

Suspension/Wheels:

- 15 inch XXR 501s gunmetal
- Acura CL Factory Wheels
- Tein Basic coilovers
- Sway Bar (Strut tower)

______________________________________________________________________________________________

FUTURE PLANS:

ENGINE:

(done)- NEW H22A FROM HMO
(done)- PAINT ENGINE BAY
(done)- NEW RADIATOR
(done)- EXHAUST

INTERIOR:

- STEERING WHEEL
- CENTER CONSOLE
- EL CLUSTER

EXTERIOR:

(done)- RIMS
(done)- OEM FRONT BUMPER
(done)- FRONT LIP
(done)- amber secondaries
(done)- eyelids
(done)- emblem
- OEM HOOD
- OEM FENDERS
- REAR MUD FLAPS

______________________________________________________________________________________________

This is what i spent so far on the this swap:

Tools:

- Husky 1/2 Impact Gun $100.00
- Metric 1/2inch Socket set $50.00
- 36mm Axle Nut Socket $19.99
- 1/2 INCH 3 piece ext. kit $14.99
- 1/2 INCH 17mm deep socket $6.50
- Wire Strippers $8.00
- 10mm Combo Wrench $6.99
- Engine Leveler $40.00

Parts:

- JDM H22A 92-96 (www.hmotorsonline.com) $1,350 shipped
- Throttle Cable $30.00 shipped
- Shift Linkage Bracket $30.00 shipped
- Alternator Belt $13.99
- P/S Belt $12.99
- NGK Spark Plugs $12.00
- Mobil 1 Oil Filter $12.99
- GY Heater Hose $2.38

Fluids:

- Dex-Coolant(2 gal) $26.00
- Washer Fluid $2.00
- Super Cleaner(Floor) $8.00
- RTV High Temp Silicone $7.00
- Mobil 1 Oil $24.50
- Dot 3 Brake Fluid $4.50
- P/S Fluid(2) $8.00

Misc:

- Cotter Pin value pack $6.99
- Conduct Tite $15.99
- 3/8 Conduit 10ft $4.99
- BLK Wire Ties(20) $2.79
- Metric Hardware kit 150pc. $24.99
- 3/4 BLK Conduit $4.99
- 1/4 Hose Clamps(4) $2.50
- BLK High Temp 2000* Paint $8.50
- Bondo Filler 2lb $12.99
- Gloss BLK High heat(4) $22.76
- 10mm Bolts $15.00
- Honda Key Chain!(LOL) $7.99
- EZ Hose Clamps $2.99
- Dorman M12 Nut(2) $2.29
- Oil Drain Pan $9.99

Kinetic Motorworks:

- Repaird leaking fuel rail
- Replaced Starter $160.00
- Replaced Map Sensor $25.00
- Replaced Injector Clips
- Installed Power Steering Lines
- Replaced Clutch Slave Cylinder $30.00
- Connected Clutch Lines
- Installed Vacuum box for butterfly valves on intake
- Wired Headlights
- Filled Transmission Fluid
- Replaced Radiator $155.00
- Attached Fan to Radiator
- Replaced Thermostat
- Repaired Engine Mount
- Changed Oil

total at kinetic including labor was $1,404.88

ORIGINAL FIRST POST BELOW:

So today i sold my evo. Its a sad day in my life, but with this comes new hope for my prelude which i have been neglecting for 2 years now. With the little extra money i got from selling the evo i am purchasing a new H22 this week from h-motors online. I will start pulling the motor this coming weekend and plan on documenting the process to the best of my ability.

i will also be de-ricing my car to give it a nice new clean look to go with its fresh motor. I will be selling my CF invader hood for a stock hood. i also will be selling my WW big mouth front bumper for a stock front bumper as well.

i went yesterday to see my prelude and get my mind focused on bringing this car back to life. the car was covered in sap, its in really rough shape.

last pic of the evo

See less See more
1 152
#2 ·
wtf? why would you sell the Evo to build a Prelude? I'm sure you have your reasons though, so more power to ya. Good luck!

#4 ·
I sold the evo because i moved out of my parents house and am now living on my own. i use to work 2 jobs and could afford my redonkulas insurance. I lived the dream while i could with the evo. but putting a new motor in my prelude seems a lot cheaper then buying another car with a car payment. id rather just dump money into my prelude for now.

#5 ·
Have you considered getting and h23vtec bluetop motor? Its cheaper than the jdm h22a, i picked mine up for like 900 bucks

#6 ·
Wow, I was not expecting to see that you sold your EVO. Good luck with the build on your prelude.

#7 ·
yeah its been quite a drastic change in my life already, i have had a running car since i was 16 and now i have no car at all to drive to work or anything. its pretty tough to not have my freedom and its only been 2 days. i cant wait to get my new motor into my prelude just so i can get around on my own time and not have to worry about finding rides...

#8 ·
Wow I remember seeing the 2 cars on craigslist for awhile didn't think you'd sell the evo to fix the prelude but no car payment > car payment any day. Now you'll be able to make the prelude meets in a prelude now.

#9 ·
Yeah, i wanted to make sure i had rent money next month so i was trying to hustle my cars hard haha. I think it ended up the way it was suppose to be though. ive had my prelude since highschool. so many memories and hard times with the car i dont think i could live without it.

so im ordering the h22 today and found a guy on craigslist who wants to trade his stock hood and front bumper for mine.

#11 ·
What a move Tyler, I did not see this coming.
Yeah the Prelude is very hard to let go of, I always have a hard time when it comes to deciding to sell my car for something else, but I always choose the 'Lude, its an internal battle.
I'm sure once your new motor comes in, you'll have that thing running in no time. Good luck with everything, I'm sure this is for the best.

#12 ·
noooooooooooooooooo! sad to see the evo go bro. good luck with the lude. are you just building a bolt on car or a turbo motor or what?

check out my build thread

#19 · (Edited)
Your brother was nice to let you drive his car for the next 8 days. That's one very nice pic. Right click and save as lol. Post some more :)

#22 ·
wow very good pics of your bro's evo. i hope you get back into one someday. i think now as far as i am into mine the only way id sell is if i bought a gtr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.