91 honda prelude 2.0 si - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:08 AM   #1
blkmrideon22s

blkmrideon22s is on a distinguished road
91 honda prelude 2.0 si

i just brought a 91 honda prelude 2.0 si and my car is overheating. well ive have change the thermostat but that didnt help. i was told it could be a head gasket that could be causing the car to overheat. how hard is it to change a head gasket? also when i put my key to crank my car my transmission lever wont move unless in put my in the lever release hole. could there be something stuck that could be causing this?
blkmrideon22s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 03:41 AM   #2
danbrick
True Luder

danbrick is on a distinguished road
overheating problems

Is there white smoke out the tail pipe? Is there water in the oil or vice-versa ? Those are signs of blown head gasket. "Leak Down Test" best way to check problem. Also check "Thermo Sensor", a sensor on the bottom of the radiator that could cause problems. Get a 'new' one from the Honda dealer.... Replacing head gasket; Head needs to be pulled and checked by a machine shop for warpage/cracks and valves/springs. While your doing that, change timing belt and water pump $250oo for parts & mach. work + any labor.

Last edited by danbrick; 06-25-2010 at 03:54 AM.
danbrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
TripleLude
Elite Member

TripleLude has a spectacular aura aboutTripleLude has a spectacular aura about

If you drive a car while it overheats, it may blow the head gasket. So, if it is overheating and the headgasket is not bown now, it will eventually blow unless you fix the problem.

Check these things:
- coolant level and proper 50/50 mixture
- coolant leaks
- bleed the air from the coolant
- radiator fans come on at proper time

As for the clutch problem, please try describing it more clearly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
|
|
TripleLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
blkmrideon22s

blkmrideon22s is on a distinguished road
there is no water in the oil and there no white smoke coming out my tail pipes. i fixed my transmission problem.
blkmrideon22s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
2ndSi
Lude Dude

2ndSi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmrideon22s View Post
there is no water in the oil and there no white smoke coming out my tail pipes. i fixed my transmission problem.
There is coolant relay under the passenger's kickplate located forward of the passenger's door under the dash.
If you don't have a blown headgasket yet, and still run it, the coolant relay may not be engaging. a new one will run you about 100+ from honda, but a you-pull-it yard may have one for about 30 buck...
the sensors in the bottom of the radiator or the block may be going bad (as Danbrick has mentioned). There is also another one to the right of the thermostat on the front of the block near the coolant bleed valve.

Does your fan come on at random times even when the car is cool? If it does this means your coolant relay is Going bad...it may have already failed...

Check all the items Triplelude has suggested and then start with the sensor plugs before you go to the relay sensor.
Did you install a fail-safe Thermostat? if it fails it will fail in the open position. Maybe you got a bad one...?
2ndSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
luzer
Elite Member

luzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura about

Please don't tell him to replace relays and thermo switches before you even find out if the fans are coming on or not. $30 for a relay form a pick-a-part? They're robbing you. My local junkyard sells all relays and switches for $2 each.

I'm not sure why people always jump straight to the head gasket as being the problem before troubleshooting the problem properly. The head gasket usually doesn't cause the overheating problem. Most of the time, the head gasket fails because the engine overheated, as Trip said. Follow his advice and find out what the problem is before changing any parts out.

1989 Prelude 2.0Si 4WS
2015 Subaru WRX
1999 Chevy K2500 Surburban

Quote:
should have posted this in the noob thread.
Link to noob thread...

luzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
danbrick
True Luder

danbrick is on a distinguished road
Didn't mean to jump and start replacing parts, 'especially' head gasket. There are so many minor things it could be. As Luzer says make sure your fans are working and coming on at the right time, radiator has flow, not cracked. Check fuses/relays..Even that thermo sensor is a semi last resort, as it costs $60 from the dealer. Just don't drive it !! On your path, step on the small stones first.

Last edited by danbrick; 06-25-2010 at 02:30 PM.
danbrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
2ndSi
Lude Dude

2ndSi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzer View Post
Please don't tell him to replace relays and thermo switches before you even find out if the fans are coming on or not. $30 for a relay form a pick-a-part? They're robbing you. My local junkyard sells all relays and switches for $2 each.

I'm not sure why people always jump straight to the head gasket as being the problem before troubleshooting the problem properly. The head gasket usually doesn't cause the overheating problem. Most of the time, the head gasket fails because the engine overheated, as Trip said. Follow his advice and find out what the problem is before changing any parts out.
My bad...i was just covering all the bases as i just had to track this same problem down and it ended up being the underdash relay.
2ndSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
beatngyou27
True Luder

beatngyou27 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to beatngyou27 Send a message via Yahoo to beatngyou27
check it
http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333212

Beatngyou27'S Understanding How Your Thermo Cooling System Works:

Beatngyou27's Build Thread:

beatngyou27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
Ahardy4

Ahardy4 is on a distinguished road
I'd say first step is check for coolant leaks (leaking hose, water pump). From there bleeding the coolant system is probably the next step. After that check radiator for blockage. After that fans, relays etc.

Good luck.

2002 VW Jetta Wagon TDI. 45MPG when its running.

"First thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."
King Henry VI, Part II, Act IV
Ahardy4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement