Honda Prelude Forum banner

how many of you would buy this or find it a useful option for 3gs?

• yes i would buy it or i think its a great idea!

Votes: 62 92.5%
  • no i wouldnt buy and dont think its a great idea.

Votes: 5 7.5%

power steering relocation kit alternative :gauging interest:

25K views 256 replies 43 participants last post by  ludeman69 
#1 · (Edited)
So as many of you know when going turbo you either have to buy a powersteering line relocation kit or ditch it all together. as the stock line running over your turbo manifold will surely melt and cause a serious mess. well ive been without ps for like 5 years now and would really just like to have it back makes life easier. so forza and i set out to make a cheaper more showy alternative to seans kit. and here are the preliminary results.

this is the first version. on the next we will be using 180's at the pump that way the line just goes straight back over the vc. chris and i are offering to make this kit once its complete for anyone who wants a turbo and the convenience of ps or if you just wanna spice up the engine bay cuz this does look oh so sexy. once we have it all bolted down and the final product layed out ill post up more pix. for now im just trying to see what interest there is out there for this. and how we want to work the kits. chances are ill need ppl to send in a part off of their ps pumps. or i may be able to find a number of pumps on ebay and just sell the kit with the pumps. im trying to keep the cost for the kit under $100.00. so whatever i have to do to do that and keep quality top notch im gonna do. so my question is: is anyone besides us interested in such a kit? pricing looks to be from around 80-120.00 depending on what i can get the materials for for each kit. it will be extremely simple to install and alows for you to put the factory stone guard back on the rack where the lines bolt in. i have mine off in the pix to show what the kit looks like.
let me know what you guys think!

edit: also we will be getting together with rash on this to make a kit for all you h22 swappers out there. ps with h22 swap! =)

See less See more
#3 ·
Id be interested. Can you get all blue fittings atleast on top? Is the braiding actualy part of the hose? I am pretty sure I would want the elbow like above. I don't want to run it over the valve cover. If I didn't have the alt wire it would be ok but I do. Plus I wouldn't want it to ruin my vc paint.

#4 ·
i could offer it in black red blue or silver. i could also probably offer nylon braided as well as the ss braided lines. or i could probably make a few just rubber. im open to all ideas and suggestions.

#5 ·
i could see about doing kits individually as per order but they would be a little more expensive as i would have to order fittings per user request rather than in a bulk buy. but if you wanted nylon braided it wouldnt mess up your vc or alt wire. or i could do a 90 off the pump so you could run down past the side of the engine and id have to give you some more hose. but its doable. whatever you guys want =) ill be working on some other 1 off parts for the lude this summer as well so keep a look out

#7 ·
ill be holding a group buy soon.

#8 ·
Yeah all blue with braided ss hose. down the side. I am definetly in. Does this retain the stock sensor like sean's? I don't even know what that sensor does but can look that up. I have 91 si 4ws. I was working on my car yesterday. (the fan came on while the car was not running or had been running.) Anyway we noticed some oil on the waterneck temp switch. Then noticed the rubber grommet on the end of heat insulation was wet on the bottom inside. Its not major leak yet but I don't want to have to clean the engine again. So sooner the better!

#14 ·
Going over the valve cover might not be a good idea. I learned the hard way there is little hood clearance there. The engine lift bracket I bolted around there was rubbing the hood. It was less than an inch higher than the valve cover.

#18 ·
I'm not sure on that. I have obd1 stock and they list the switch for my lude on honda parts catalog.

#21 ·
The pressure switch doesn't plug into the engine wire harness. It goes directly into the firewall near the windshield wipers.

Here is a closer shot:

^ In this pic the pressure switch is clearly plugged in. However, there is no engine wire harness.

#22 ·
The pressure switch doesn't plug into the engine wire harness. It goes directly into the firewall near the windshield wipers.

Here is a closer shot:

^ In this pic the pressure switch is clearly plugged in. However, there is no engine wire harness.
It does not go to the engine harness, it goes do the ECU to tell the engine to raise the idle so as not to allow the motor to stall when turning full right or left and hitting the end of the steering wheel turn.

#25 ·
a replacement oem for $60??? its not oem if its 60. mine was $125 a few months ago.honda wanted like 200 for it.
this is a great idea but these hoses run like 1200 psi or something crazy. so if the hose cant handle it you will have a mess. i tried to fix my old leaking one when i first got the car, and i can say no hose clamp is holding a ps line on a hardline. thats why they are specially crimped. also like how old clutch lines swell this can do it too, i thinks its why honda used so much hardline. of course its way shorter than stock. i do like it i just arent sure.

#27 · (Edited)
i didnt see a pressure switch anywhere on the hard line. but ill look into it. i could always put a t in the line for it. and yes the power steering system produces between 900 and 1100 psi. thats why i chose braided lines and aircraft fittings that can hold up to 1500 psi. i can route the hose any which way you guys want it. but when its bolted down on the valve cover it wont be tall enough to exceed the height of the vc and rub the hood. its #6 line. its not huge. just looks big in the pix. cost to put a fitting in for the switch will be a few bucks higher but not much. for those that dont care i wont and those that want it can have it put in for a few bux extra. im talking to some companies to see about bulk pricing on the fittings and what color options i can have available and what kind of line im looking at.

yes thanks for pointing out the loose clamp but yes i knew that. we were just trying out fittment and line routing. i just wanted to get pix up to see if there is any interest in me doing the research or not. now that i know there is im going to look into finding the best prices i can to make probaly like ten kits initially. ill start a gb and once everyone is in ill go ahead and order the supplies and make the kits.
i still need to work out what will be best to get the pieces i need to tap to make the kit easy to install for everyone.

edit. i also will be running it initially without the switch and i will let you guys know about how it affects the performance.

#28 ·
do the carbed ludes still have that switch? cuz my stock line looks very different. keep in mind i am fi swapped.

and sean thanks for the input as well. please take no offence. i dont mean to downplay or put your kit down. im sure its an excellent product as everything you offer generally is. but im on a tight budget. chris came up with the idea and i helped work out the specifics. we found we can make a visually appealing and strong kit for less. and chris as we all know likes things pretty and shiny considering the clenliness of his bay. thanks for all the ideas guys keep em coming.
=)

#31 ·
do the carbed ludes still have that switch? cuz my stock line looks very different. keep in mind i am fi swapped.

and sean thanks for the input as well. please take no offence. i dont mean to downplay or put your kit down. im sure its an excellent product as everything you offer generally is. but im on a tight budget. chris came up with the idea and i helped work out the specifics. we found we can make a visually appealing and strong kit for less. and chris as we all know likes things pretty and shiny considering the clenliness of his bay. thanks for all the ideas guys keep em coming.
=)
Dank, no worries no offense taken. I understand about cutting cost. I wish I could cut the cost on my side but its just not possible because what it takes to get my line made is much more custom and involves using a $40,000 pipe bender, custom welds and fittings with pressed on fittings.

Like I said earlier, I was going the same route that you are taking but since I was going to sell to the community, I just can not take the chance for anyone to come back and complain or try and sue me, so this route was the more reliable and safer route.

I just wanted to make a recommendation so you do not get into any trouble down the road. (Trust me, it might come up.)

#29 ·
#32 ·

Try looking in the electrical section. It has every switch on the lude. The switch is also listed under power steering hose in honda parts catalog. Cost like $66 bucks for switch. You can look at the picture above too plus seans thread shows how he did it.

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268487

I shouldn't have any problem getting the fittings you need for mine though I haven't been to junkyard since last year. May even be able to get extras for price reduction of the price for my hose. It does look fairly simple but as far as me making my own I have way to much to do and know if your doing 10 or more it would cost me more to do it myself.

#34 ·
so i checked under electrical and its listed but when you click it it takes you back to the power steering system chapter and i cant seem to find any info in there about it.

#36 ·
thanks for the pic bob! i dont see that sensor being super important. but its gonna be tested on both 2ws and 4ws models. ill post a video of turning lock to lock without the switch connected and we can see if it affects idle. but if bob hasnt had much of an issue with it i dont forsee it being a big issue.

#41 ·
It's been like that for approx 2 years & 30,000kms. I'd say its been tested.
and i had no problems. its not necessary to incorporate it into your design. just one more thing to go wrong imo.
both gave testimony but neiter said if they have 4ws. Personally I would prefer to keep it. As long as dank threads the fitting good there is nothing to wrong but the switch. which has nothing to do with the reliability of the product dank has proposed.

#38 ·
thanks a million bob!

#39 ·
dank, the carbd ludes don't have the ps pressure switch in the line. when i swapped my s to si, i didn't use the ps line from the si and i had no problems. its not necessary to incorporate it into your design. just one more thing to go wrong imo. my new line doesn't have the switch. in order to put in, i need to rob the one off of the car i am currently driving. i probably wont use mine if it makes you feel any better.

#40 ·
fuel section under idle control system section 11-125 in the 91 helms paperback. Shows B8 pin and troubleshooting flow chart. I found it listed in the etm aswell but only in ecu wiring diagram.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.