Radiator Recommendations - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
10gxiong
True Luder

10gxiong is on a distinguished road
Radiator Recommendations

Hi guys. I have a 1988 Honda Prelude 4WS A/T. For the past month I have been constantly refilling the antifreeze. I have also noticed steam coming from the hood as well as bubbles coming through the cracks where the upper plastic radiator tank aligns with the frame of the car. I read a few threads in this forum about the plastic tank possibly blowing apart from the aluminum core and because of this I am in dire need of a recommendation for an affordable radiator. So far I have done some Googling and have come up with a few brands: Replacement, Silla, CSF, and Koyo (I dont think this is the performance brand). I have also been searching on ebay for radiators and they have quite a few radiators that are quite the steal. Please help point me in the right direction for a replacement radiator. I'm looking to spend no more than $100-150. Last but not least, should I also replace the upper and lower hoses along with the radiator cap? Thanks.
10gxiong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
luzer
Elite Member

luzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gxiong View Post
Hi guys. I have a 1988 Honda Prelude 4WS A/T. For the past month I have been constantly refilling the antifreeze. I have also noticed steam coming from the hood as well as bubbles coming through the cracks where the upper plastic radiator tank aligns with the frame of the car. I read a few threads in this forum about the plastic tank possibly blowing apart from the aluminum core and because of this I am in dire need of a recommendation for an affordable radiator. So far I have done some Googling and have come up with a few brands: Replacement, Silla, CSF, and Koyo (I dont think this is the performance brand). I have also been searching on ebay for radiators and they have quite a few radiators that are quite the steal. Please help point me in the right direction for a replacement radiator. I'm looking to spend no more than $100-150. Last but not least, should I also replace the upper and lower hoses along with the radiator cap? Thanks.
Try to find a replacement with metal end caps instead of plastic. It will last longer. As far as price goes, I bought one off ebay a few months ago for about $75 shipped. Just make sure to buy from a seller with lots of positive feedback if you buy from ebay. You don't need a performance radiator if you are stock.

You can't go wrong replacing your hoses if it's been five or more years since they were last replaced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1989 Prelude 2.0Si 4WS
2015 Subaru WRX
1999 Chevy K2500 Surburban

Quote:
should have posted this in the noob thread.
Link to noob thread...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
luzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2010, 03:02 AM   #3
ZIPPY
Lude Addict

ZIPPY is on a distinguished road
I swapped in mine a couple of months ago, with the KOYO C885 all copper core radiator (best OEM replacement). You will be hard pressed finding a new radiator with metal tanks now, I searched for months with no luck. I went with these guys for the radiator, shipped out fast and radiator fits perfect: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-89...Q5fAccessories
I also replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses with the generic GATES molded hoses, and a STANT radiator cap from WALMART.
ZIPPY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
GoldenLude89
Banned

GoldenLude89 will become famous soon enough
autozone has a lifetime warranty on them lol
GoldenLude89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
10gxiong
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPY View Post
I swapped in mine a couple of months ago, with the KOYO C885 all copper core radiator (best OEM replacement). You will be hard pressed finding a new radiator with metal tanks now, I searched for months with no luck. I went with these guys for the radiator, shipped out fast and radiator fits perfect: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-89...Q5fAccessories
I also replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses with the generic GATES molded hoses, and a STANT radiator cap from WALMART.
I'm assuming that is the real Koyo brand. I'm just curious because I saw an online selling Koyo Radiators and their logo looked different. For the Gates radiator hoses, did you use the fitted hoses or unniversal? Did the new radiator use the same size radiator cap as the original or is a different sized cap required? Thanks.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
ZIPPY
Lude Addict

Quote:
I'm assuming that is the real Koyo brand. I'm just curious because I saw an online selling Koyo Radiators and their logo looked different.
Yes, that is the real KOYO brand. Radiator came with KOYO warranty in a KOYO box that said MADE in INDONESIA, which according to KOYO's WEBSITE is where they are made. This isn't just an eBay company, they are quite large in SACRAMENTO. A customer service rep told me about how their prices are cheaper on eBay while I was asking questions via online chat, so I bought on eBay instead of their website http://www.go-part.com/.

Quote:
For the Gates radiator hoses, did you use the fitted hoses or unniversal?
I used the UPPER (21670) and LOWER (21671) Molded Coolant Hoses by GATES, fitted not universal. I bought them cheap on amazon.com and free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Quote:
Did the new radiator use the same size radiator cap as the original or is a different sized cap required? Thanks.
Yes, the radiator cap was exactly the same size. I like the STANT radiator cap, works great and is cheaply sold at WALMART.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
10gxiong
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPY View Post
Yes, that is the real KOYO brand. Radiator came with KOYO warranty in a KOYO box that said MADE in INDONESIA, which according to KOYO's WEBSITE is where they are made. This isn't just an eBay company, they are quite large in SACRAMENTO. A customer service rep told me about how their prices are cheaper on eBay while I was asking questions via online chat, so I bought on eBay instead of their website http://www.go-part.com/.

I used the UPPER (21670) and LOWER (21671) Molded Coolant Hoses by GATES, fitted not universal. I bought them cheap on amazon.com and free shipping.

Yes, the radiator cap was exactly the same size. I like the STANT radiator cap, works great and is cheaply sold at WALMART.
Holy crap, you save $20 bucks getting the Gates hoses off Amazon. Thanks for the info, I went ahead and purchased the Koyo radiator from Ebay. Was your a 1-row or 2-row? Thanks.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
preludefan
Ludacious

preludefan has disabled reputation
i read somewhere that napa sell stock replacements with metal end tanks
Old 01-17-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
10gxiong
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludefan View Post
I've come across that thread during my search. I've checked with NAPA online and couldn't find an all metal radiator.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 PM   #10
1funryd
Elite Member

1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 1funryd Send a message via MSN to 1funryd Send a message via Yahoo to 1funryd

Quote:
I've come across that thread during my search. I've checked with NAPA online and couldn't find an all metal radiator.

How about this: http://vi.ebaydesc.com/ebaymotors/ws...=msie&caz.html

Sean

3rd Gen Aftermarket Manager

(Clik Here)
Email:

(Danny19 - JDM RH Drive) (1Funryd - H23 Swap) (B20luda - Turbo Charged H22)Representing All of 3rd Gens!!!
1funryd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 12:02 AM   #11
PJF_Lude
True Luder

PJF_Lude is on a distinguished road

Prelude of the Month
I noticed you said you have an auto. So, whatever you buy, make sure it has the fittings for the auto transmission cooler, or you'll need to add a seperate cooler for your tranny

1988 Prelude Si - Polar white -Parted out and sold - gone but not forgotten
1989 Prelude Si - Phoenix red - Stripped for parts
1989 Prelude Si Turbo - Laguna gold
1989 Prelude Si - Polar white - Newly aquired, don't know what i'm doing with it just yet - possible track car
2006 CBR1000RR - Silver Metallic
PJF_Lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
10gxiong
True Luder

Thanks for the replies. I've already ordered an OE replacement Koyo radiator off ebay along with Gates radiator hoses. So hopefully I should have the parts buy this weekend so I can swap them in.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #13
ZIPPY
Lude Addict

Quote:
Holy crap, you save $20 bucks getting the Gates hoses off Amazon. Thanks for the info, I went ahead and purchased the Koyo radiator from Ebay. Was your a 1-row or 2-row? Thanks.
It is a single core radiator, just like OEM. The dual core is overkill for a stock engine (more expensive as well), also would have fitment issues if using OEM fans. BTW: You might as well change out the thermostat for a new one. I would recommend the STANT premium thermostat 45868 (180) OE Temperature, coupled with a Genuine Honda thermostat gasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludefan View Post
Those were the all metal MODINE radiators, haven't been sold there for years. Plus MODINE sold out to PROLIANCE and they only produce plastic tanks as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJF_Lude View Post
I noticed you said you have an auto. So, whatever you buy, make sure it has the fittings for the auto transmission cooler, or you'll need to add a seperate cooler for your tranny
The KOYO C885 is actually specific for the AUTO, but manuals can use to. Seems most radiators now are made for automatics, which is fine b/c all you have to do is leave the caps on those connections for the automatic if you're manual.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #14
10gxiong
True Luder

Thanks for your help ZIPPY. With the help of my girlfriend's brother, I got the radiator and hoses installed today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement