Would E85 help pass a smog test? - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
BA4Guy
Getting Comfortable

BA4Guy is on a distinguished road
Would E85 help pass a smog test?

I tried looking but didn't see any discussions on this, but has anyone tried using E85 or just adding ethanol to the tank to help pass a smog test? I searched around the net and have seen several discussions that ethanol helps burn much cleaner exhaust. But I just wanna make sure it's ok for a one shot thing in my Prelude. The shop told me I need a new catalytic converter which will cost a total of around $500 and I said feck that
I'm in calif and since there's no E85 stations near me, I'm thinking of just going to the hardware store and getting straight ethanol like I read on another forum
Anybody tried this or heard of it?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...0&postcount=15

Last edited by BA4Guy; 08-01-2009 at 03:49 PM.
BA4Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
luzer
Elite Member

luzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura about

No, you don't want to run e85 in your 3rd gen. It wasn't designed to run on that much ethanol. There's a wiki on it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85_in_standard_engines

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1989 Prelude 2.0Si 4WS
2013 Subaru WRX
1999 Chevy K2500 Surburban

Quote:
should have posted this in the noob thread.
Link to noob thread...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I think my beard grows quicker than my head hair.. but I have no actual proof.
luzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
JGrove
Lude Cray

JGrove will become famous soon enough
You can''t run ethanol in your stock fuel system. You would need larger fuel injectors and have the computer reprogrammed for it. Don't go around the block to get next door.

Can you use a Wrench? Is your Catalytic Converter some how welded in? A Cat is not going to cost you $500. Here, I'll help you out

http://sd.autohausaz.com/autohausaz/...ic%20Converter

$130 shipped.
JGrove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
BA4Guy
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrove View Post
You can''t run ethanol in your stock fuel system. You would need larger fuel injectors and have the computer reprogrammed for it. Don't go around the block to get next door.

Can you use a Wrench? Is your Catalytic Converter some how welded in? A Cat is not going to cost you $500. Here, I'll help you out

http://sd.autohausaz.com/autohausaz/detailw.jsp?sid=m3zd4j55i3q2rxzgi1ewby55&partner=a utohausaz&year=1988&make=59&model=6060~829~~193~~~ @Prelude%202.0%20Si,%20DOHC&category=241035@Exhaus t&part=241054@Catalytic%20Converter

$130 shipped.
Thanks. Unfortunately that one says "illegal in Calif"
So you guys say I cannot run ethanol AT ALL? The smog test failure wasn't too bad. And I'm not convinced it's the cat converter. They even want to charge me $100 to specifically test it to verify it's bad. I just want to run enough ethanol to pass the test.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:40 AM   #5
luzer
Elite Member

You can run a percentage of ethanol mixed with gas, up to about 50%. But e85 is 85% ethanol, which it too much unless your car was designed to run on it.

1989 Prelude 2.0Si 4WS
2013 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Link to noob thread...

Quote:
Old 08-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
TripleLude
Elite Member

TripleLude has a spectacular aura aboutTripleLude has a spectacular aura about

E85 will help pass an emissions test only if it is failing because the car is either (a) running too rich or (b) has unburnt fuel in the exhaust gasses.

If you want to try against better advice, go put 1 gallon of E85 in your car and fill it up the rest with premium gas. Then go take the test. Any more than a gallon could burn valves and the air/fuel mixture ratio will be dangerous.

|
|
|
|
|
|
TripleLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
BA4Guy
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzer View Post
You can run a percentage of ethanol mixed with gas, up to about 50%. But e85 is 85% ethanol, which it too much unless your car was designed to run on it.
Thanks. Yeah I wasn't going to run E85 fuel, just wanted to put maybe a gallon or so in the tank with the fuel gauge reading a little less than a quarter of a tank
Old 08-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
White894wsi
Elite Member

White894wsi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to White894wsi

Move out of California with all of there stupid Nanny laws...

1991 2.1Si Red SOLD

White894wsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
luzer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA4Guy View Post
Thanks. Yeah I wasn't going to run E85 fuel, just wanted to put maybe a gallon or so in the tank with the fuel gauge reading a little less than a quarter of a tank
Yeah, I misunderstood what you were doing. You will be fine doing that.

I'm definitely glad I live in an area that doesn't yet require emissions testing.

1989 Prelude 2.0Si 4WS
2013 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Link to noob thread...

Quote:
Old 08-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
Raspinudo
Ludacious

Raspinudo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by White894wsi View Post
Move out of California with all of there stupid Nanny laws...
smog sucks balls in cali

BUY MY H22A4

Raspinudo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement