CYP sensor gone bad. - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
dvp95

dvp95 is on a distinguished road
CYP sensor gone bad.

Question for you guys. I have a 96 accord with a 98 h22a swap. My car was fine for awhile then I needed a new distributor. I got the TD-89 from distributor kings and swapped it in a few days ago. It ran well for 3 days then today I get a check engine light and fine out it is code 9 which is the CYP sensor.

When I installed it I ran into a little problem. There were 9 wires. 7 of the wires matched up fine but 2 wires (CYP) did not. The colors of the wires for the CYP sensor were reversed. The old and new distributor both had a white and peach wire coming from the CYP sensor but they were reversed ie. white was peach and peach was white. So when I wired them up I had the option of wiring them based on color like the original or based on position going into the CYP sensor. I chose to go with color. So my car ran for 3 days perfectly fine then today I get the CEL. So I wasnt sure if it was the wiring or not so I reversed those 2 wires and when I started the car would not idle well. The RPMs kept bouncing up and down and if I reved the engine the RPMs would drop and eventually stall. So I reversed the wires again back to what I had and again the RPMs were still messed up.

So now what? Can I swap in the CYP sensor from my old distributor? Do I need to get another distributor?

How are those 2 wires supposed to be hooked up?

I switched to a new distributor cause the ICM kept going bad and was recommended to get a new distributor. What causes an ICM to keep going out?

Last edited by dvp95; 05-18-2009 at 08:13 PM.
dvp95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
akurit
True Luder

akurit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvp95 View Post
Question for you guys. I have a 96 accord with a 98 h22a swap. My car was fine for awhile then I needed a new distributor. I got the TD-89 from distributor kings and swapped it in a few days ago. It ran well for 3 days then today I get a check engine light and fine out it is code 9 which is the CYP sensor.

When I installed it I ran into a little problem. There were 9 wires. 7 of the wires matched up fine but 2 wires (CYP) did not. The colors of the wires for the CYP sensor were reversed. The old and new distributor both had a white and peach wire coming from the CYP sensor but they were reversed ie. white was peach and peach was white. So when I wired them up I had the option of wiring them based on color like the original or based on position going into the CYP sensor. I chose to go with color. So my car ran for 3 days perfectly fine then today I get the CEL. So I wasnt sure if it was the wiring or not so I reversed those 2 wires and when I started the car would not idle well. The RPMs kept bouncing up and down and if I reved the engine the RPMs would drop and eventually stall. So I reversed the wires again back to what I had and again the RPMs were still messed up.

So now what? Can I swap in the CYP sensor from my old distributor? Do I need to get another distributor?

How are those 2 wires supposed to be hooked up?

I switched to a new distributor cause the ICM kept going bad and was recommended to get a new distributor. What causes an ICM to keep going out?

this one has me a bit stumped but i think i can take it on but if anyone else has some ideas please share...maybe you could post pics..of how the wiring is in the original compared to the new one...i have ripped enough dizzys open and swap shit out of them..i just bought a del sol and the guy bought a brand new dizzy and the one sensor was bad in it so i swapped in all the old sensors from his original dizzy keeping the new internal coil and ignitor and it all worked out.

heres some of my experience with something i recently delt with umm but its all obd1 may still be useful

http://www.solsociety.com/forum/inde...howtopic=30928

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2441044

http://honda.lioness.googlepages.com/distributorbearing

if only i had some better links like that about the obd2 h22a4 dizzy

let me know what you wthink

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honda Prelude 2001 SE DD
Honda Del Sol 1995 VTEC WIFE'S
Acura Legend 1990 LS SOLD
akurit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
dvp95

dvp95 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by akurit View Post
this one has me a bit stumped but i think i can take it on but if anyone else has some ideas please share...maybe you could post pics..of how the wiring is in the original compared to the new one...i have ripped enough dizzys open and swap shit out of them..i just bought a del sol and the guy bought a brand new dizzy and the one sensor was bad in it so i swapped in all the old sensors from his original dizzy keeping the new internal coil and ignitor and it all worked out.

heres some of my experience with something i recently delt with umm but its all obd1 may still be useful

http://www.solsociety.com/forum/inde...howtopic=30928

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2441044

http://honda.lioness.googlepages.com/distributorbearing

if only i had some better links like that about the obd2 h22a4 dizzy

let me know what you wthink
Thanks for your help. Here is the original thread I started about buying the correct distributor.

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=312225

Here is my question for you though.

When I swapped the new distributor kings distributor in it had 9 wires like my original TD-89 distributor. 7 of the wires went to the TDC and CKP sensors and the distributor (these were all fine). The problem was the other 2 wires that went to the CYP sensor. They both come with a white and peach wire. On the old distributor the white one was wired to the black wire and peach went to the yel/black wire of the distributor plug going to the accord harness. On the new distributor those colors were reversed in terms of position. What I mean is when you open the cap and rotor and look at the CYP sensor the white wire comes from on top of the sensor on one distributor and the peach one comes on top of the sensor on the other one. Hope that makes sense. Either way, is it supposed to be wired according to the color or the position from the sensor?

At first what I did was wired it according to color hoping that inside the sensor it was simply reversed. The car worked fine for 3 days then all of a sudden I got a CEL 9. So I switched the wires so that it was wired based on position (top wire goes to the same wire as the top of the old distributor went to). The car started but the idle kept fluctuating. So I switched it back and still the idle was fucked up.

Next day I started the car with the original wiring based on color and it started and drove. I decided to switch to my old CYP sensor and wire it like that sensor was hooked up for years and again it also worked.

So my questions.

1. What caused my ICM in my old distributor to repeatedly go bad? Is it cause of one of the sensors and changing the CYP sensor to that old one might fuck up the new ICM and have the same problems?

2. Does it matter how the CYP sensor is wired up? It has essentially been wired both ways and still works.

3. What caused the idle to be messed up because the next day it started and drove fine without changes?

4. How long before it fucks up again? argggggg. Right now it has been driving fine.
dvp95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
akurit
True Luder

akurit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvp95 View Post
Thanks for your help. Here is the original thread I started about buying the correct distributor.

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=312225

Here is my question for you though.

When I swapped the new distributor kings distributor in it had 9 wires like my original TD-89 distributor. 7 of the wires went to the TDC and CKP sensors and the distributor (these were all fine). The problem was the other 2 wires that went to the CYP sensor. They both come with a white and peach wire. On the old distributor the white one was wired to the black wire and peach went to the yel/black wire of the distributor plug going to the accord harness. On the new distributor those colors were reversed in terms of position. What I mean is when you open the cap and rotor and look at the CYP sensor the white wire comes from on top of the sensor on one distributor and the peach one comes on top of the sensor on the other one. Hope that makes sense. Either way, is it supposed to be wired according to the color or the position from the sensor?

At first what I did was wired it according to color hoping that inside the sensor it was simply reversed. The car worked fine for 3 days then all of a sudden I got a CEL 9. So I switched the wires so that it was wired based on position (top wire goes to the same wire as the top of the old distributor went to). The car started but the idle kept fluctuating. So I switched it back and still the idle was fucked up.

Next day I started the car with the original wiring based on color and it started and drove. I decided to switch to my old CYP sensor and wire it like that sensor was hooked up for years and again it also worked.

So my questions.

1. What caused my ICM in my old distributor to repeatedly go bad? Is it cause of one of the sensors and changing the CYP sensor to that old one might fuck up the new ICM and have the same problems?

2. Does it matter how the CYP sensor is wired up? It has essentially been wired both ways and still works.

3. What caused the idle to be messed up because the next day it started and drove fine without changes?

4. How long before it fucks up again? argggggg. Right now it has been driving fine.

i dont have time to give a proper diagnosis but i would say its wierd that it simply works by color...if it was me id trace the lines to the connector and see that this is the exact same as the old dizzy regardless of color. unless of course by some chance this is wired differently doubtful.

Honda Prelude 2001 SE DD
Honda Del Sol 1995 VTEC WIFE'S
Acura Legend 1990 LS SOLD
akurit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement