Troubleshooting: Oil light + Battery Light + Car won't start - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
cokinut
True Luder

cokinut is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cokinut
Troubleshooting: Oil light + Battery Light + Car won't start

I know the battery light means something wrong with the charging system (alternator, battery, etc.)

I know the when the oil light is blinking, it usually means low oil. constant light = something more serious like low oil pressure, something wrong with the oil pressure sending unit.

_________

Now, the car was running fine the day before etc. The oil level was spot on between the two holes on the dip stick, so no problem there. The alternator was replaced 1/2 year ago. The battery was replaced tonight.

Now, I tried to start the car this morning and the car won't crank over at all. When i turn the key, it just hangs there - no cranking. The fuel pump is priming engaging when turned to the on position. I tried jumping the battery for a few minutes and seems like there is no spark what so ever to help it crank. Headlights and all electronics seem like they are working great and getting good juice.

Why would the battery light and oil light come on at the same time? Can anyone shed light on this?

could it be a starter problem?
Main relay?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5D x 2 | 30D | 12-24 | 28-75 | 70-200 IS | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 |various lighting | DelaCruz Photographics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cokinut; 05-17-2009 at 07:30 PM.
cokinut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
BlkLUDE5G
Preludepower Member

BlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the roughBlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the roughBlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the rough
not same symtomes i had but check that infamous immobilizer - its worth it anyway in case it craps out

BlkLUDE5G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
cokinut
True Luder

with an immobilizer problem, wouldn't the key light be blinking?

5D x 2 | 30D | 12-24 | 28-75 | 70-200 IS | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 |various lighting | DelaCruz Photographics
Old 05-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
LudeActs
Preludepower Member

LudeActs will become famous soon enough
The battery and oil ligt come on when the key is in the on position without the engine running. That is normal. I'd try pounding on the starter while a friend cranks the key. Sounds like a starter problem. Could also be the ignition switch or main relay though.

Ohio Honda Prelude Owners Community
LudeActs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
joel_eb
_

joel_eb has a spectacular aura aboutjoel_eb has a spectacular aura aboutjoel_eb has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via ICQ to joel_eb

once, this happened to me. my main fuel system's wiring had some of it's insulation rubbed off, causing a small short to the side of the transmission case somewhere. since it's on a 50A fuse it wasnt actually opening the circuit, becuase the draw wasnt large enough. it was enough current to heat up that wire, and all the surrounding wires enough to cook them all open. eventually, i made an insurance claim out of the whole deal, and got the parts that caught fire replaced, but all the shit that started the fire was on my head.

what i'm getting at is that my oil and battery light came on when this was happening. they seemed to be on "dim" for some unknown reason as well. for the sake of your wallet, i hope this isnt your issue. just throwing it out there, though.

- Rep = 215! Thanks, MommysLittleMonster! n_n

*WTB*Acura RSX 2005-2006 17" x 7" Type S OEM 5-spoke Rim!!!
joel_eb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
cokinut
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudeActs View Post
The battery and oil ligt come on when the key is in the on position without the engine running. That is normal. I'd try pounding on the starter while a friend cranks the key. Sounds like a starter problem. Could also be the ignition switch or main relay though.
Thanks for that input. So when the prelude is on the "ON" position, the battery + oil light stay on. I was afraid because all the other lights on the right hand side (ABS, ATTS, Keylight) all went away. Thanks.

edit: What lights do actually stay on when in the "on" position?

Last edited by cokinut; 05-17-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
LudeActs
Preludepower Member

LudeActs will become famous soon enough
Oil and battery are the only ones that stay on until you start the engine. Unless you have a trouble code, in which case, the check engine light will stay on also.

Ohio Honda Prelude Owners Community
LudeActs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 07:30 AM   #8
5spd5gen
Brewski Turbo King

5spd5gen is a jewel in the rough5spd5gen is a jewel in the rough5spd5gen is a jewel in the rough5spd5gen is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokinut View Post
I know the battery light means something wrong with the charging system (alternator, battery, etc.)

I know the when the oil light is blinking, it usually means low oil. constant light = something more serious like low oil pressure, something wrong with the oil pressure sending unit.

_________

Now, the car was running fine the day before etc. The oil level was spot on between the two holes on the dip stick, so no problem there. The alternator was replaced 1/2 year ago. The battery was replaced tonight.

Now, I tried to start the car this morning and the car won't crank over at all. When i turn the key, it just hangs there - no cranking. The fuel pump is priming engaging when turned to the on position. I tried jumping the battery for a few minutes and seems like there is no spark what so ever to help it crank. Headlights and all electronics seem like they are working great and getting good juice.

Why would the battery light and oil light come on at the same time? Can anyone shed light on this?

could it be a starter problem?
Main relay?
well if the car wont start it will always have those lights on, is yours an automatic or a 5 spd? and does the clutch feel like its kind of spongy? if it is you have an air bubble in ur clutch line, then youll need to bleed it if you want me too ill do a write up on it, happened to my buddies lude a couple weeks ago.
5spd5gen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
goldenstate

goldenstate is on a distinguished road
check the muffler fluid
goldenstate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
5spd5gen
Brewski Turbo King

5spd5gen is a jewel in the rough5spd5gen is a jewel in the rough5spd5gen is a jewel in the rough5spd5gen is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenstate View Post
check the muffler fluid
yea check that ur muffler bearings, ur halogen and blinker fluid, and if ur 2nd transmission is going bad you might lose 1st,3rd n 5th. if the wheels from the left side are on the right thats bad you better hope the front arent on the back cuz one pot hole and whamo!! all your tires will blow out, even if you only hit the hole with one tire. and for the muffler bearings go with titanium 367 bearings, and with a super rubber guard gaasket, dont forget to run the oil lines and coolant lines to keep ur muffler from over heating, and losing ur bearings cuz if u do that cylinder 3 and 4 will throw the rods and its a big mess....
5spd5gen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

xxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud of
Blinking oil light means something is VERY wrong with the oil pressure do not drive. Not cranking over sounds like starter problem. Start there, check fuses in engine bay etc. Updates are fundamental

Quote:
I'm too pretty to be a hobo. There would be hobo rape.
Quote:
You sure you just didn't get high and watch men in black?
J.L.D.E.P.P.M.S.3.C.N.Y.C.N.C.M.A.D
xxfallacyxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
cokinut
True Luder

I don't think it's the clutch, the clutch feels good and was working good the day before. I really think it's the starter. I'm at work right now and i'm going to check when I get home. Does anyone know the major ground points to check for (battery to chassis, transmission ground, engine block ground - are there any other major ones i should check for?).

I've also read that you can tap on the starter to see it "jumps" it. I'm going to try to pull out the starter tonight and bring it to a Pep boys to get tested - that or jump the starter directly from the battery to see if it cranks.

Btw, I have a 98 Type SH 5 speed.

Any info on how common the immobilizer might be a problem to starting the car?

Old 05-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #13
cokinut
True Luder

Just got back inside. Took a hammer, hit the starter a few times and it started working. Looks like the contacts in the starter or some internal issues were going on. I pulled it out in about 40 minutes and i'm going to get another tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #14
apocylypse444
True Luder

apocylypse444 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spd5gen View Post
yea check that ur muffler bearings, ur halogen and blinker fluid, and if ur 2nd transmission is going bad you might lose 1st,3rd n 5th. if the wheels from the left side are on the right thats bad you better hope the front arent on the back cuz one pot hole and whamo!! all your tires will blow out, even if you only hit the hole with one tire. and for the muffler bearings go with titanium 367 bearings, and with a super rubber guard gaasket, dont forget to run the oil lines and coolant lines to keep ur muffler from over heating, and losing ur bearings cuz if u do that cylinder 3 and 4 will throw the rods and its a big mess....
omfg hahahaaha this kid is hilarious lol i literally shit my pants lulz.
apocylypse444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

xxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud of
Cokinut like I said if your oil light is blinking that is really bad. Check your oil levels, and if they are ok, ask a mechanic to check your oil pressure. A blinking oil light means that oil pressure is too low, or dropped suddenly to levels below operation standards.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #16
goldenstate

goldenstate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spd5gen View Post

haha i love it
goldenstate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #17
cokinut
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfallacyxx View Post
Cokinut like I said if your oil light is blinking that is really bad. Check your oil levels, and if they are ok, ask a mechanic to check your oil pressure. A blinking oil light means that oil pressure is too low, or dropped suddenly to levels below operation standards.
sorry, forgot to update - when the car started, the oil light + battery light went off. just like ludeacts stated, those 2 lights come on on the on position. I feel like a newb because i've never actually paid attention to those lights when leaving the ignition in the on position. I'm going to install a new starter and see how that goes. I found it funny that you hitting the starter with a hammer actually does work. hah. Thanks for all your help.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:56 PM   #18
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

Sometimes the internals of the starter jam up, and hitting it may loosen them. As for the oil light it's only supposed to be solid when you turn the ignition on, if it blinks i'd be suspicious of something. If your oil light blinks while driving, pull it over ASAP, seizing your engine is not something to take a chance with.

Weird, seize and weird are exceptions to the i before e rule. I knew about weird, but seize? really?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
egjdmh22a
I am Prelude

egjdmh22a has a spectacular aura aboutegjdmh22a has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to egjdmh22a
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocylypse444 View Post
omfg hahahaaha this kid is hilarious lol i literally shit my pants lulz.
dont forget to put a rabbits foot in the oil hole for good luck!!!!!
egjdmh22a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement