Honda Prelude Forum banner

h22a4 with h22a1 crap

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  quieTP_11 
#1 ·
I need help guys. I'll explain first what the whole deal is.

Back when i started my turbo build i bought a h22a1/h22a oil pump, water pump, timing belt, headgasket, and oilpan gasket. The plan was to find a h22a1 or h22a block and put my h22a4 head on it. Not to hard since i have an obd1 dizzy.

Well sadly i searched for 5 months and did not find a shortblock. Locally i found my h22a4 long block for $300. I picked it up after researching if all of those parts would work on the block. I know for sure that the headgasket had to change to an open deck headgasket (which i bought already as well) however, i can't remember if any of the other parts work. I tried searching faqs today on this site and honda-tech and maybe it was just me, maybe i was not entering the correct stuff in the search engines but i could not find my answers.

If you know 100% for sure those parts will work on an h22a4 block let me know. I don't really want to have to buy a new bare block or new pumps etc. For some reason i seem to remember one of the gears on the h22a4 block being obd2? The obd1's apparently were 2 pieces of something like that?

I really need some help guys :p

See less See more
#2 ·
the oil pump will work,,the 0bd2 pump just has the stupid sensor thing on it,,, it is not need on an obd1 ecu

the pan will work
everything perty much works the main bearings are different a size on the obd1 crank

#4 ·
i think the h22a/a1 are 50mil main bearings
and h22a4 is 55mil mains

so if you have a h22a4 block and main caps and a h22a4 crank u need the 55mil main bearings,,,do you have the stock bearings for this motor and crank?,,,if so u cn use the color combos on the beearings as a good start on bearing size.....but you should test the clearence with plastic guage

#5 ·
i think the h22a/a1 are 50mil main bearings
and h22a4 is 55mil mains

so if you have a h22a4 block and main caps and a h22a4 crank u need the 55mil main bearings,,,do you have the stock bearings for this motor and crank?,,,if so u cn use the color combos on the beearings as a good start on bearing size.....but you should test the clearence with plastic guage

I still have the stock bearings. My machinest said he will figure out exactly what bearings need to be used and order them for me. I guess when i bring everything down i'll explain the situation and see what he has to say.

Thanks for the help, i think i know what you are saying haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.