Power Steering...Smoke....Smell??? - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
PghNick29

PghNick29 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PghNick29 Send a message via MSN to PghNick29 Send a message via Yahoo to PghNick29
Power Steering...Smoke....Smell???

Ok I have read a few other threads on here about the burining oil/burning smell But today the smell was bad and it was smoking pretty good .....have no idea where the smoke is coming from or the smell checked the power steering fluid reservoir and it looks low but I have no idea where its supposed to be no manual came with the car so .....Can anyone tell me how much it supposed to have and what fluid I should use ??? The smell and smoke are starting to worry me but I cant find a source of either one by the way have a 2000 Lude with a Sport Shift only 57k miles

Last edited by PghNick29; 03-23-2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: forgot to add model of car
PghNick29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
twistedimage
Lude Dude

twistedimage is an unknown quantity at this point
Is there oil or is there a hole in your ps reservor leaking on the header??
twistedimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Rob72
True Luder

Rob72 is on a distinguished road
As for your brake fluid level, check on the side of the brake fluid resivior there are marks that say Hi ( or Hot) Low ( or Cold) I forget, I leave mine about right in the middle of the two values.

As for your smoke and smell??? I don't know how to help you there, one I can't see where the smoke is coming from 2. I can't smell it either

Is it a oil smell, gas (fuel) smell? Burning rubber smell?
Rob72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
PghNick29

Send a message via AIM to PghNick29 Send a message via MSN to PghNick29 Send a message via Yahoo to PghNick29
the smoke is coming from the back of the motor near the intake smells like burnt oil/rubber combo friend said it might be oil from changing the oil last week
Old 03-23-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
Rob72
True Luder

Rob72 is on a distinguished road
Could be, I always use a rag or something to hang over the exhaust so the oil doesn't drip down on the pipe when taking off the oil filter.

On the other hand are you leaking oil (having to put oil in between changes?) If so check your o ring in the oil cooler.
Rob72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
PghNick29

Ive only had the car a week and changed the oil last week and ever since its been smoking and stinking
Old 03-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
fei8lo
Ludacious

fei8lo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to fei8lo
spilled oil onto the exhaust. clean it up and it should stop smoking. oil filter location causes alot of oil to drip onto the exhaust when changing the filter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fei8lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #8
PghNick29

I changed the oil last week and have driven it maybe 50-60 miles since and it still smokes and stinks .....just a small concearn
Old 03-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
fei8lo
Ludacious

fei8lo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to fei8lo
the filter may not be tight and some oil leaking on the exhaust. or the oil that has leaked is not completely burned off yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fei8lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
PghNick29

I hope its just oil that hasnt burned off yet but Im getting skeptical now
Old 03-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #11
PghNick29

anyone else have any ideas when I park the car after driving it smokes from under the hood some
Old 03-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #12
EagleEyez
Preludepower Member

EagleEyez has a spectacular aura aboutEagleEyez has a spectacular aura about
Did you double ring the filter? Its when you pull the old filter off and the rubber ring doesnt come off with it, then you put the new filter on with the old gasket and the new ring and it leaks.

Usually it leaks badly but you may have tighten it alot. Im not saying thats it but whatever it is it has to be just above the exhaust pipe or it wouldnt smoke.

Quote:
Jason was an Army Ranger...if it's too much for him we might as well just pack up our balls and go home.
"I have captured and secured the H22 beast! Let the building comence"!

"The beast has been borne again! Test drive proves....."Masterpiece"
-Hand Built by EagleEyez-
EagleEyez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #13
PghNick29

yea I dont think its that I made sure to check .....just starting to get irritated with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement