whats better? H22A vtec or H23A vtec? - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
sungkim88

sungkim88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sungkim88
whats better? H22A vtec or H23A vtec?

hey i have a 95 prelude non-vtec with over a 200K miles on it
so i was going buy an H22A vtec but i found a H23A with vtec on ebay and its cheaper than the H22A...
so whats better? H22A vtec or H23A vtec?
sungkim88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2007, 03:38 AM   #2
drenz

drenz is on a distinguished road
from my knowledge the h22a because it has more hp
drenz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2007, 04:43 AM   #3
Rash
I am Prelude

Rash is a jewel in the roughRash is a jewel in the roughRash is a jewel in the rough
^lmao...an h23 VTEC is an h22 head on an h23 block. Of course it will have more power because it has all of the benefits of the fatter cam lobes with VTEC, AND a longer stroke. It's also an iron block so you can boost to the heavens!

To be honest though, unless it was built by someone like JTCdudeman or some other h22 god I wouldn't trust it. If it's cheap you could always buy it, and correct all of the mistakes that the "builder" might have made. Wouldn't trust it as a reliable engine though unless you're very familiar with the h23 vtec build. Beware, hell even brittoknee had issues with hers.

EDIT:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-H...QQcmdZViewItem

If this is what you're talking about, DO NOT buy it! H23 VTEC engines are NOT imported directly from Japan! Like I said it's a custom conversion. H23 block + H22 head. It's not a stock setup!

Just an insight on what's involved. Trust me if it really was a vtec, they'd want a lot more than $1500 for it..

http://preludepower.com/forums/showt...light=h23+vtec

EDIT #2:

uuuhhh... ok I retract my comments, apparently there is an h23 vtec in the Accord SiR (Sorry I'm a 3rd genner ). If it really is what they say, go for it! I'm not editing out my mistake because I'm ok with it. I'm sure a lot of other people thought the same thing. On ebay of all places too! Seriously though, put some type-s pistons in there and you'll have the absolute best of Honda! Fuck the K20s! You will need an ODB2 to ODB1 conversion harness though...shouldn't be a big deal though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Rash; 10-28-2007 at 05:47 AM.
Rash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2007, 06:50 AM   #4
Xander_Lounsbury
Lude Addict

Xander_Lounsbury is on a distinguished road
The h23a only came with an automatic, so unless your auto you gonna have to deal with the computer issue. Just go for the H22a, you never hear about these swaps for a reason...

BMW Z3 1.9: Rainy day/weekend car

Suzuki Katana 600: Blew transmission, sold

2002 Yamaha FZ1: Hitting 7 flats in the 1/8th at 100+mph

18 Years Young and Not Mommy Funded
Xander_Lounsbury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
Rash
I am Prelude

Rash is a jewel in the roughRash is a jewel in the roughRash is a jewel in the rough
Wouldn't a p28 or p72 with a custom basemap do just fine? I read on gen5alive.com of a guy that is actually running an h23 vtec with no problem. Sure that would run you another couple hundred bucks, but it would definitely be worth it. It would also be nice to see how that thing reacts to the type-s pistons. Raising the compression on a non-vtec h23 is pretty nice by its self. Not bad for a budget swap I'd say.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Rash; 10-28-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Xander_Lounsbury
Lude Addict

Xander_Lounsbury is on a distinguished road
The h22a swap is easy, almost direct. The H23a is a completely different motor, maybe its not all that different and it wouldn't be much harder. I just never seem to hear about people doing them, so I would stay away. Thats just me though, talk to steve(motoxxxman) about the ecu, he may have done one already.

BMW Z3 1.9: Rainy day/weekend car

Suzuki Katana 600: Blew transmission, sold

2002 Yamaha FZ1: Hitting 7 flats in the 1/8th at 100+mph

18 Years Young and Not Mommy Funded
Xander_Lounsbury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2007, 12:08 PM   #7
OMega
I am Prelude

OMega has disabled reputation
Hey, last I checked the vtec h23 are still in production. That maybe one reason there so cheap and the fact that there not the "cool" swap to do. As time goes on I see this becoming a more common swap.
OMega is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #8
Stryker
True Luder

Stryker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Stryker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rash View Post

If this is what you're talking about, DO NOT buy it! H23 VTEC engines are NOT imported directly from Japan! Like I said it's a custom conversion. H23 block + H22 head. It's not a stock setup!

EDIT #2:

uuuhhh... ok I retract my comments, apparently there is an h23 vtec in the Accord SiR (Sorry I'm a 3rd genner ). If it really is what they say, go for it! I'm not editing out my mistake because I'm ok with it. I'm sure a lot of other people thought the same thing. On ebay of all places too! Seriously though, put some type-s pistons in there and you'll have the absolute best of Honda! Fuck the K20s! You will need an ODB2 to ODB1 conversion harness though...shouldn't be a big deal though.
Good thing you covered you ass quick I thought and said the same thing in a similar thread and got my ass reamed fot it.

http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274620

People can be pretty unforgiving for lack of knowledge

Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2007, 07:14 PM   #9
94prelude
Lude Dude

94prelude is on a distinguished road
The h23a only came with an automatic, so unless your auto you gonna have to deal with the computer issue. Just go for the H22a, you never hear about these swaps for a reason...

h23 did come with 5 speed trannys
94prelude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #10
Rash
I am Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Lounsbury View Post
The h22a swap is easy, almost direct. The H23a is a completely different motor, maybe its not all that different and it wouldn't be much harder. I just never seem to hear about people doing them, so I would stay away. Thats just me though, talk to steve(motoxxxman) about the ecu, he may have done one already.
Mechanically, wherever an h22 block will fit, so will an h23. Different motors? Yeah I'll give you that. The h23 isn't as strong internally as the h22. Anytime you increase the stroke on an engine, you're left with less capability for higher rpms (without forging and lightening your bottom end). This is exactly why Honda limited the redline on the s2000 in 2004. They stroked the block in favor of more lower end torque.

My guess is that you never hear about people doing this swap because it's kinda pointless now that I think about it. The stock h23vtec actually makes less hp than the stock jdm h22a, and the bearings on the h23 block aren't reliable enough to push the engine where vtec tends to scream. If the h23 crank could handle 8000 rpms, you'd definitely have one sick ass engine. Just buy the h22 unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=641555

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=510617&page=2

Old 10-28-2007, 09:38 PM   #11
sungkim88

sungkim88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sungkim88
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94prelude View Post

h23 did come with 5 speed trannys

well i have H23A manual i thought it would be much easier to get a H23A with vtec cause theyre the same engine, i dont know, i might be talking crazy i dont know much about car... so your saying that H23A vtecs only auto?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-H...spagenameZWDVW

this is the one that i was looking at the seller didnt say anything about being a auto or a manual... im guessing auto?
sungkim88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2007, 10:11 PM   #12
Blue01
Prelude Aficionado

Blue01 is a jewel in the roughBlue01 is a jewel in the roughBlue01 is a jewel in the rough
Both the JDM H22A and JDM H23A are 200ps motors, more or less. The H23A will predictably make more torque.

All H23As came with auto transmissions, but a H/F MT will bolt up just fine.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:32 AM   #13
bambbrose
Lude Dude

bambbrose is on a distinguished road
anybody ever tune the h23a vtec from the wagon on hondata/neptune? I'm interested in the results. Thinking about this motor as a replacement for my worn h23a1 and I like knowing that the motor is factory assembled and not a frankenstien

I have money in hand to purchase these factory parts!
bambbrose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 12:47 AM   #14
Rash
I am Prelude

Yup, the h23a and h22a will bolt up to whatever transmission you're using. H23a will give a bit more torque, but not much more. It will come sooner in your rpms though, getting you off the line quicker.

Stick to the h22 though. It's not worth the extra $1000 for the h23a though, unless you're looking to do something different, and this isn't your daily driver. I say this because not many people are swapping this engine in, and if you have problems there won't be much support.

Last edited by Rash; 10-29-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:57 AM   #15
Rash
I am Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambbrose View Post
anybody ever tune the h23a vtec from the wagon on hondata/neptune? I'm interested in the results. Thinking about this motor as a replacement for my worn h23a1 and I like knowing that the motor is factory assembled and not a frankenstien
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2081873&page=1

A guy in that thread (9th post down) says he's using s200 for tuning,

Old 10-29-2007, 12:58 AM   #16
92WhiteH23

92WhiteH23 is on a distinguished road
If you want tranny, engine, ecu, harness and axle, contact this dude. he owns a shop in Sacramento, Ca and he will ship. He gets all his stuff from JAPAN.

http://venus-auto.com/inventory/honda/engine/honda.htm

92WhiteH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 05:33 AM   #17
TopEndLude
Sleeper Needs Boost!

TopEndLude is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TopEndLude Send a message via MSN to TopEndLude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungkim88 View Post
hey i have a 95 prelude non-vtec with over a 200K miles on it
so i was going buy an H22A vtec but i found a H23A with vtec on ebay and its cheaper than the H22A...
so whats better? H22A vtec or H23A vtec?

The H22A is better.

H23 has a really small Intake Manifold and TB which causes it not to make more power (197hp). Because of the small tb and Intake mani it does make a little more torque and make it a little earlier than the h22.
Bore Stroke causes it to rev less than a h22. h22a 7500rpms h23a 7200rpms.

p.s. Someone said that later on this will become a common swap. I highly doubt it unless they balance the crank or get a better crank and change the entire head to get a better flowing motor. h23a is too restricted in it's current (stock) state.

^^^^^^My POS^^^^
TopEndLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 06:01 AM   #18
SlackJ94
Preludepower Member

SlackJ94 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SlackJ94
I'm pretty sure the h23a uses a head very similar to the h22a head. I don't know if your info about the TB and IM is correct or not though.

I also think the main reason the swap is not done more is not because of problems, but because of the availability of the engine. It is hard to find a h23a, since it came in one car for only a few years.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #19
OMega
I am Prelude

OMega has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopEndLude View Post
The H22A is better.

p.s. Someone said that later on this will become a common swap. I highly doubt it unless they balance the crank or get a better crank and change the entire head to get a better flowing motor. h23a is too restricted in it's current (stock) state.
If it keeps on being a cheaper alternative, it will be the motor to swap. The intake manifold is one of those things that would get changed before dropping the motor in. What's wrong with the stock crank? Are you saying its an issue because it can't rev as high? I don't understand your point.
OMega is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #20
cinci-91-H

It was mentioned above that the H23 has Iron sleeves, this is incorrect.

The H23 has FRM sleeves just like the H22.

Do we have actual torque numbers for the STOCK H23a. I always hear people say the H23 has more torque than the H22, when in fact the peak torque of the H22 is 161 ft/lb and the H23 torque is 158 ft/lb. I'm sure the H23 peaks earlier, but let's compare actual rpm to rpm. I'm not sure what rpm the H23 makes 158 ft/lb at, but what does the H22 make at that same rpm.

These are (non vtec H23) numbers that I am compareing.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 12:11 PM   #21
Rash
I am Prelude

Yeah that was my fault. I was the stooge that said the h23 had iron sleeves lol.

The h23a vtec does have a wee bit more torque than the h22. 163 ft/lbs @ 5300 rpms. People who own them say they're more fun off the line and around town than the h22a.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:16 PM   #22
cinci-91-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rash View Post
Yeah that was my fault. I was the stooge that said the h23 had iron sleeves lol.

The h23a vtec does have a wee bit more torque than the h22. 163 ft/lbs @ 5300 rpms. People who own them say they're more fun off the line and around town than the h22a.

That does sound rather torquey, considering that the h22 makes 161@5800rpm. And with factory reliability..........I'll take one!!!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 10:53 PM   #23
92WhiteH23

92WhiteH23 is on a distinguished road
I hate to be a dick, but seems like most of you guys dont know your H series motor. Everyone just throw in what they think without doing research. Heres a chart to tell you the Torque out of the 3 motors that the 4th gen have. This is the spec for the USDM motors only. There was never a REAL Spec done to the H23a Dohc Vtec.

http://92lude.com/prelude_engine_specs.htm

Last edited by 92WhiteH23; 10-29-2007 at 11:05 PM.
92WhiteH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #24
Breaking Point
I am Prelude

Breaking Point will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Breaking Point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungkim88 View Post
well i have H23A manual i thought it would be much easier to get a H23A with vtec cause theyre the same engine, i dont know, i might be talking crazy i dont know much about car... so your saying that H23A vtecs only auto?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-H...spagenameZWDVW

this is the one that i was looking at the seller didnt say anything about being a auto or a manual... im guessing auto?
the h23vtec is not only auto...whoever said that is misinformed, i know of for h23vtecs rolling around where i live in civics preludes & accords...the swap into a prelude was a little harder then the straight up h22...stick with the h22 man cause the h22 has more parts available for it & its stronger, its a waste of time for any & all trouble you will have with the h23vtec, just buy a jdm h22a vtec & you will be satisfied

Mackie,Me,Drae09-ludeboy,guy jason who showed at that meet, and 01ludechik

Breaking Point is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #25
Breaking Point
I am Prelude

Breaking Point will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Breaking Point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92WhiteH23 View Post
I hate to be a dick, but seems like most of you guys dont know your H series motor. Everyone just throw in what they think without doing research. Heres a chart to tell you the Torque out of the 3 motors that the 4th gen have. This is the spec for the USDM motors only. There was never a REAL Spec done to the H23a Dohc Vtec.

http://92lude.com/prelude_engine_specs.htm
yea you have a point & dont...the h23 vtec was not usdm...i see what your saying but it was partially irrelavent due to the motor specifications(h23vtec) that we are talking about are jdm....sorry if i sound like a dick, not trying to be

Mackie,Me,Drae09-ludeboy,guy jason who showed at that meet, and 01ludechik

Breaking Point is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement