5th gen Manual Transmission Fluid change - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
ckny58
Lude Dude

ckny58 is on a distinguished road
5th gen Manual Transmission Fluid change

HI everyone, I'm new to the board and to working on cars but I have a 2001 honda prelude type Sh. I'm wondering where I can get a detailed description on how to change the manual transmission fluid in the car and how many quarts I might need. If anyone has any info on this, please pass it along. Thank you.
ckny58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
Pearlwhitesh
Elite Member

Pearlwhitesh is on a distinguished road

yeah you should take the plug out the bottom of the tranny(passenger side) then plug it and the fill plug is a little higher up from there. I think it takes about 3 quarts. Use only honda or maybe royal purple. Don't use any old tranny fluid because it will start slipping. you might want to change the atts fluid as well it uses honda auto tranny fluid. If you need pics i'll get you some. its not hard to do just a pain.
Pearlwhitesh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
SKIN
True Luder

SKIN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlwhitesh View Post
I think it takes about 3 quarts.

5th gen manual trans calls for 1.6 or 1.7 quarts. Definitely not 3! You use the top fill hole and fill until it comes out of the top fill hole or is even with the bottom of the top fill hole. 3 quarts is to much and I don't even know if it is possible to get all of them in. Use Honda manual trans fluid!

Speak up peeps with more posts than me.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
Pearlwhitesh
Elite Member

Pearlwhitesh is on a distinguished road

my bad yeah hes right. I put almost 2 in the tranny and one in the atts so i bought 3.
Pearlwhitesh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
hot_97_lude
Lude Addict

hot_97_lude will become famous soon enough
I have been meaning to do this for the longest.... I read a write-up somewhere that said buy three quarts just in case.

+1 for Honda MTF. Let us know how it goes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 Prelude -- RIP 12/17/09
G35 Coupe -- Current
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hot_97_lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
BDoggPrelude
Future S2000 Owner

BDoggPrelude will become famous soon enough

Prelude of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlwhitesh View Post
my bad yeah hes right. I put almost 2 in the tranny and one in the atts so i bought 3.
The tranny uses MTF and the ATTS unit uses ATF.

<-Colorado Prelude Owners Come Here!
BDoggPrelude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2007, 10:31 PM   #7
SH^ftw^01
True Luder

SH^ftw^01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIN View Post
5th gen manual trans calls for 1.6 or 1.7 quarts. Definitely not 3! You use the top fill hole and fill until it comes out of the top fill hole or is even with the bottom of the top fill hole. 3 quarts is to much and I don't even know if it is possible to get all of them in. Use Honda manual trans fluid!

Speak up peeps with more posts than me.
Thats pretty much how it goes. You drain the fluid by taking off the bottom bolt, then run a hose to the top/filler bolt. Fill it until it starts draining out of the top (I used a full two quarts to be safe). Like it was said, get Honda MTF, the whitecap bottles from your dealer.

happy shifting

01 BB6 Type-SH (NBP)

Quote:
ha i know how ya feel. don't worry about it. you have a lude and she has a vagina. who came out winner here?

SH^ftw^01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement