How do i know if my Fuel Filter is bad? - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
FyVe
Preludepower Member

FyVe will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to FyVe
How do i know if my Fuel Filter is bad?

anyone know how i can tell if my fuel filter is bad? And my FPR (Fuel pressure regulator?) How can i tell? i know there are guides as to checking fuel pressure but can anyone elaborate and provide pics maybe? or an official guide?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLD!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FyVe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
billiam
iamNOTerator

billiam is a jewel in the roughbilliam is a jewel in the roughbilliam is a jewel in the rough

bad fuel mileage is a sign, also do you have idle problems? I do and im wondering if changing the fuel filter would help
Old 03-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
FyVe
Preludepower Member

nah... i have horrible gas mileage and i just changed my fuel filter, o2 sensors, spark plugs & wires... all the oils in my car... what else? lol everything! and im still getting like 240 to a tank... and soot all over the back bumper. I don't have idleing problems tho.. my car idles fine at about 800 rpm i'd say if i can remember correctly.

SOLD!!

Old 03-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
B_lude98
Preludepower Member

B_lude98 is on a distinguished road
there really arent any signs that tell you that you should change your fuel filter unless a mechanic can look at it. Just make sure its changed every 30,000 miles
Old 03-26-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
FyVe
Preludepower Member

30,000 miles!??! shit my car has fuckin 166,000 on it and i bought it with 163,000 ish... i dunno when that was changed last time - AND it's a f*cking $200 part!!!(minus labor, i'm sure i can do it myself) tell me ur kidding...

SOLD!!

Old 03-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

JLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to JLude

If it hasn't been changed then definitely change it. My old B21 prelude had a clogged filter and I noticed an instant improvement in idle rpms and instant throttle response when I changed it out.
Changing the fuel filter is on my to do list for this spring on the lude.

Former 5th, 4th and 3rd gen Prelude owner. Current: 2000 Tacoma V6 4x4 TRD, '00 Civic LX 4dr, '06 Yamaha FZ6S, '07 Victory Kingpin

JLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
FyVe
Preludepower Member

aw crap.. i guess i'm on my way to buying a fuel filter... i believe honda quoted me around $100 for a FPR and $200 for a fuel filter... is that too much? that includes my discount as i work for south motors infiniti and i'm buying from south motors honda.. my discount is like 20% and if my friends working around 25 or 30% depending on the item. Anywhere i can get it cheaper? and i decent one not a ripoff brand? and replacing it, any guides on that? is it easy? how do i do it?

SOLD!!

Old 03-26-2007, 02:09 PM   #8
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

JLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really nice

http://spoonhonda.com/downloads.htm

^ download the Helms Manual for the 5th gen from here...it has the proceedures for all of this stuff. The fuel filter is a bit of a PITA on the Prelude so $200 for the replacement is probably not that terrible but the filter itself from Honda is only like $20-$30 tops.

Former 5th, 4th and 3rd gen Prelude owner. Current: 2000 Tacoma V6 4x4 TRD, '00 Civic LX 4dr, '06 Yamaha FZ6S, '07 Victory Kingpin

Old 03-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #9
B_lude98
Preludepower Member

dude fuel filters do not cost 100 bucks, maybe at the stealership they do, i know a guy at grease monkey and he did it for 30 bucks, also what kind of gas are you using? and what octane?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
billiam
iamNOTerator

billiam is a jewel in the roughbilliam is a jewel in the roughbilliam is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLude View Post
http://spoonhonda.com/downloads.htm

^ download the Helms Manual for the 5th gen from here...it has the proceedures for all of this stuff. The fuel filter is a bit of a PITA on the Prelude so $200 for the replacement is probably not that terrible but the filter itself from Honda is only like $20-$30 tops.
whats PITA mean? Whats the $200 piece?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #11
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazillianpimpx View Post
aw crap.. i guess i'm on my way to buying a fuel filter... i believe honda quoted me around $100 for a FPR and $200 for a fuel filter... is that too much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by H22LudeSH View Post
whats PITA mean? Whats the $200 piece?
Pain In The Ass

I assume $200 was the cost they quoted to replace the fuel filter.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #12
B_lude98
Preludepower Member

id never pay 200 bucks for a fuel filter unless i owned an mclaren F1
Old 03-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #13
FyVe
Preludepower Member

wow lol MY BAD!!! It wasnt the fuel filter i meant fuel PUMP!!! i've been trying to say PUMP all this time. i already replaced the FILTER... the PUMP was $200 estimate... for the piece no labor. i don't pay people to do my shit lol i do most of it myself...

SOLD!!

Old 03-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #14
B_lude98
Preludepower Member

lol ok that makes a little more sence, im know all of us were like WTF man!?
Old 03-26-2007, 06:15 PM   #15
B_lude98
Preludepower Member

oh ya, what octane and brand of gas are you using dude?
Old 03-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #16
6E LUDE
Lude Addict

6E LUDE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 6E LUDE Send a message via Yahoo to 6E LUDE
Replace the stock pump with a Walbro 255 Pump, Well thats if you are boostin I just replaced my pump with it and to change it wasn't that hard at all. Just make sure you don't smoke around the area when changing it HAHAHA!!!

BTW...fuel filters are changed every 30,000 miles then?

6E LUDE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2007, 06:52 PM   #17
B_lude98
Preludepower Member

yes recommendation is 30,000
Old 03-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #18
lilredlude
I am Prelude

lilredlude will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to lilredlude
honda does not have a recommended interval to replace the fuel filter. They only suggest to replace it when fuel pressure tests below a certain threashold...
PG. 361 of the acrobat file helms, 11-127 of the book

95 Jeep Grand Cherokee
86 Honda Interceptor 500cc
01 Honda Prelude Base
lilredlude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2007, 08:28 PM   #19
FyVe
Preludepower Member

so can anyone tell me what exactaly i need (pictures plz) to test my fuel pressure??? i heard all i need is a gauge and pinch the hose or whatever? is there a quick guide anywhere? BTW i use 93 octane (premium) in my car and only that. how much is a walbro 255 fuel pump and where can i get it? (if its pricier than a stock one, whats the benefits if i'm running only a few bolt-ons and no upgraded fuel system?)

SOLD!!

Old 03-26-2007, 08:51 PM   #20
wyotech_student
True Luder

wyotech_student will become famous soon enough
There's a Honda OEM fuel adapter fitting that costs around $12 that threads onto the fuel rail/feed line port to fit a fuel pressure gauge on.

You should also get two replacement crush washers for the bung.

Remove the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator and cap the end so you don't have a vacuum leak. You should get somewhere between 40-47 psi. With the FPR vacuum line plugged back in: 30-37 psi.
wyotech_student is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2007, 09:26 PM   #21
6E LUDE
Lude Addict

6E LUDE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 6E LUDE Send a message via Yahoo to 6E LUDE
Well mine should be good until then. Mine is set at 31psi at idle with vac line off. I'm tuned at 31psi and im sure it goes up when I hit boost

6E LUDE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2007, 10:13 PM   #22
FyVe
Preludepower Member

fuel rail/feedline port... no idea where that is (i know where the rail is... but i havent really looked at it) one step at a time i'm learning everything about cars... at least h22a1's... i found out that doing the work myself is way more rewarding in man-points and cash... most of it is really easy.

ummmm so... where do i get this gauge? honda or at an autoparts store? and what exactaly am i doing? i dont know what line to clamp!?

SOLD!!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #23
wyotech_student
True Luder

wyotech_student will become famous soon enough
It's where the metal hard-line meets the fuel rail. It comes off the fuel filter and goes to the fuel rail.

Get the adapter and buy any fuel pressure gauge that fits it. I use the Honda one but there should be a generic one that works.

As for knowing exactly what to do, the procedure is in the Helm's, read over the pdf file. I think it even has pictures to show you what to do. I just don't want to list out a procedure that's already in the Helm's ya know?
wyotech_student is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2007, 11:21 PM   #24
FyVe
Preludepower Member

sure... i'm working on downloading the helms now.. thanks tho.

so about that fuel pump?? any replies on that? the walbro 255?

SOLD!!

Old 03-26-2007, 11:34 PM   #25
FyVe
Preludepower Member

yay i found somewhere $79 for a walbro 255 but... i dont know shit about fuel pumps.. do i need a super-hightech engine for a walbro 255.. or can one be fine for my stock system? will it do any good or will it be like... turboing a car that cant spool it?

what i'm asking is if fuel pumps need to be precise according to usage or if i can shoot big and just wait till my specs meet what the fuel pump can put out? (never) i really am thinking about getting this one its cheap!!

SOLD!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement