transmission oil - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-14-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
Red3GSR
True Luder

Red3GSR has disabled reputation
transmission oil

ok ive been readin some threads on the best tranny oil to use, some say the gm synchromesh and someone said synthetic 10w-30 and honda MTF, just wanted an updated opinion on what transmission oil to use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Red3GSR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2006, 01:40 AM   #2
ReliantKcar
Lude Dude

ReliantKcar is on a distinguished road
use honda makes sense right
ReliantKcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 09:09 AM   #3
evoludersir
Lude Boss

evoludersir is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to evoludersir Send a message via MSN to evoludersir
it does, doesn't it? it's the only way to go.
evoludersir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
LewdLude
Preludepower Member

LewdLude is on a distinguished road
Makes almost as much sense as buying all your parts there too.

Get a good fully synthetic 10w-30 such as Mobile 1 and your good to go.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
LewdLude
Preludepower Member

Okay, we've had lots of these threads before (which a good search will yeild) so I better make a disclaimer before people start throwing fits. Any of the three fluids (synchromesh, honda mtf, syn 10-30) will work well in your tranny. Considering that our trannies are 15 years old, it's very likely one fluid could work before for someone and not someone else. I chose 10-30 because it was less expensive and easier to get. Just try one of the three, see if it works, and if not try a different one.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
Red3GSR
True Luder

yea well as i said wanted an updated opinion

Old 01-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #7
Snowman
Flashy Stars

Snowman is on a distinguished road

I got the honda mtf. It was like $6 a letre. Thats not any more expensive than mobile 1 syn. And it wasnt just 10w-30 oil, it has other additives in it. Just crack open a bottle and smell it.

Oh, and if you go to "how-to's" at the top of the preludepower page, there more info.

ACP Co-Founding Member
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
Bobnova
New title is new

Bobnova has a spectacular aura aboutBobnova has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Bobnova

As i've reported before, i'm using Chevron 80w90 hypoid gear oil, put it in at 190k, i'm now at 257k, tranny still works great, shifts quick, etc.

Oil choice doesn't make nearly the difference some people would like you to believe :P

Bobnova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 11:05 AM   #9
dano
Prelude Aficionado

dano has disabled reputation
I'm not an expert but if you know how syncros work it makes sense to use an oil that will give the proper amount of "drag" needed to allow smooth shifting.

The syncro ring and syncro hub form a little cone clutch that must slow and stop the hub so the outer teeth of the ring can slide into the hub without grinding. I'm sure you have heard that slight "snick" when you shift overly fast. That's your syncro ring teeth (bronze) being ground down because you didn't give that cone clutch mechanism enough time to do it's job. One could make a pretty good case against short throw shifting levers.

My impression is that synthetics are too "slippery" to work well in a syncromesh transmission.

I kind of like BobNova's approach, using traditional 80/90 gear grease. I'm betting his syncros work pretty quickly. Then again, why does honda call for lighter weight engine oil ? Gas milage ? Cold weather ?

I guess the bottom line is that if you know your syncros are in good shape but it's taking too long to allow grindless shifting, you can be sure that you are not using the best lubricant for your transmission.

It's a mistake to think that what works best in the engine will be best for the transmission.

Last edited by dano; 01-15-2006 at 10:25 AM.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 11:12 AM   #10
Red3GSR
True Luder

so gear grease is the way to go? or honda MTF? dunno what to choose, how much of it will i need?

Old 01-14-2006, 11:26 AM   #11
Kalm_Traveler
穏やかな旅行者

Kalm_Traveler will become famous soon enough

Honda recommends either their own MTF (good stuff btw), or regular 10w30 or 10w40 oil. It's up to you what to use of course, but that's just what the OEM says to use, so I'm stickin to it for now.

Quote:
I would take a day of beating the piss out of a 2010 NSX over GREAT AWESOME FREAKY sex any day.

Kalm_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #12
dano
Prelude Aficionado

Don't know if 80/90 gear grease is the way to go, but BobNova has supplied pretty good evidence.

I have an automatic transmission in mine so I'm out of the loop here. I'm just speaking from years of experience. My old 59 Austin Healy 100-6 used engine oil in the transmission because the oil supply was shared with the hydraulically operated overdrive unit. This did not do the transmission any favors.

See what I mean ??

Old 01-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #13
Kalm_Traveler
穏やかな旅行者

Kalm_Traveler will become famous soon enough

Oh... I do have one small question on this topic: If all I do is city driving (even very spirited city driving), the tranny shifts smooth as butter. However, after being on the freeway for ~15 mins or more (I do 80mph at least if on a freeway), the 3rd gear synchro becomes very unhappy with me.

This means that the MTF is breaking down and 3rd gear synchro is just in worse shape than the other ones, so it can't take the not-quite-as-lubricative oil, right? In which case, switching to some Red Line 10w40 ought to solve that problem eh?

Quote:
I would take a day of beating the piss out of a 2010 NSX over GREAT AWESOME FREAKY sex any day.

Kalm_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 11:51 AM   #14
88SE Lude
Prelude Aficionado

88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of
Either:

Honda MTF (or equivalent).
A good mineral (or maybe semi-synth) 10W/40 engine oil
Or A good 75w/90 gear oil (or similar)

We almost exclusively use Millers CRX fully synthetic 75w/90 gear oil in our Hondas. That ranges form daily driver Civics right up to full race spec DC5 ITR's .

I use it in all my 3G's and find it very good.

So to Bob .

"You are not entitled to an opinion. An opinion is what you have when you don't have any facts. When you have the facts, you don't need an opinion"

I'd rather you hate me for my honesty than like me for dis-honesty.
88SE Lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #15
Red3GSR
True Luder

but im sure just 10w 30 oil would work just fine or whats the deal with this synchromesh stuff?

Old 01-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #16
Red3GSR
True Luder

one more thing how much will i need?

Old 01-14-2006, 12:03 PM   #17
dano
Prelude Aficionado

2 quarts

Old 01-14-2006, 12:47 PM   #18
Bobnova
New title is new

Bobnova has a spectacular aura aboutBobnova has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Bobnova

My bet is that Honda said use 10w30 because it will move a tiny bit more freely, and give ever so slightly better fuel mileage.
Tiny bit of mileage X 1,000,000 cars = big tax break.
Just like the 10w30 engine oil imo.

My other bet, is that your third gear synchro is worn, and after the long highway speed trip the oil has heated up and thinned out, and is no longer thick enough for the synchro clutch doodad to work.

When mine is COLD, it's slightly harder to shift then normal (and it will NOT go into first if your moving, just flat out won't go), but once it's been driven for a couple minutes it shifts great.
Still shifts great after an hour of 80-90mph I5 driving, too :P

From what i've heard, Dano is dead on with the synthetics bit, as usual.

I mainly use gear oil because it's what we have at the shop, in the tranny oil pump.
10w30 would involve a long, slow funnel :P
Plus i like thicker oil all the way around, more protection imo.
I run 80w90 gear oil in my tr7's tranny too, despite it calling for ATF.
I can FEEL the difference in weight causing some drag, but it shifts a lot more smoothly. (The TR7 tranny is weird, it has an input shaft driven oil pump that lubes things, like an auto tranny, so it's probably having to pump the system up to a couple hundred more pounds then it ought to, if i let the clutch out in neutral it drops a solid 200 rpm hot, and 400 cold)

Bobnova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 03:41 PM   #19
Red3GSR
True Luder

i just bought some castrol 10w40 to use in the tranny. should be good.

Old 01-14-2006, 07:10 PM   #20
LewdLude
Preludepower Member

Let us know your updated opinion once you've run it for a while
Old 01-14-2006, 09:59 PM   #21
teamable
Preludepower Member

teamable is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to teamable
10-w30, 10-w30, 10-w30,10-w30. or genuine honda stuff they are equal

i run 10 30

-2 batts, 1 alt, 4 tires, 2 clutch MCs & 1 SC, 2 CV joints, 1 PCV valve... 179,XXX miles.
NOW: white 88SI-love it!
Quote:
Seriously. You take criticism about as well as a gorilla takes a dick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hprelude5R
If you paint your lude that color, you will be banned.
Got an acronym you don't understand?-

teamable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 10:53 PM   #22
Red3GSR
True Luder

put in 10w40 seems to be alright cant notice any big differences yet, ill keep ya updated.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:50 AM   #23
Preluding
Preludepower Member

Preluding is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Preluding
I've run Syncromesh and 10w30 and 10w30 -w- Lucas additive...

I've seen to blow my tranny diff no matter what... but I now use Honda MTF and everything seems to last longer... just my personal experience, hope yours is different
Preluding is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2006, 03:46 AM   #24
88SE Lude
Prelude Aficionado

88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of
If you manage to 'blow' trannies (whole different meaning in the UK btw) that easily then I can assure you it is NOT the oil you are using, and to suggest it might be is etremely naive.

"You are not entitled to an opinion. An opinion is what you have when you don't have any facts. When you have the facts, you don't need an opinion"

I'd rather you hate me for my honesty than like me for dis-honesty.
88SE Lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2006, 09:21 AM   #25
Red3GSR
True Luder

yea well the tranny oil is so easy to change you can change the oil whenever.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement