What are the signs of the engine about to throw a rod? - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-04-2005, 09:13 AM   #1
OaTmeaL
Ludacious

OaTmeaL has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to OaTmeaL Send a message via AIM to OaTmeaL Send a message via MSN to OaTmeaL Send a message via Yahoo to OaTmeaL
What are the signs of the engine about to throw a rod?

Just like the title says... What are the ways you can tell the engine is about the throw a rod?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OF*C
OEMFitment Crew Member 01

Future: OEM fogs, Koni/GC setup, spacers, and 4 7.5" S2000 wheels.
OaTmeaL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2005, 09:15 AM   #2
OMega
I am Prelude

OMega has disabled reputation
Beside tearing the engine apart and checking rod bearing, rod knock.
OMega is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2005, 09:17 AM   #3
OaTmeaL
Ludacious

Send a message via ICQ to OaTmeaL Send a message via AIM to OaTmeaL Send a message via MSN to OaTmeaL Send a message via Yahoo to OaTmeaL
Is that when the engine is on? Would I hear it all the time? I only hear it when I shut the car off and when I turn it on sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OF*C

Old 09-04-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
LudaPower

LudaPower is a jewel in the roughLudaPower is a jewel in the roughLudaPower is a jewel in the rough

If you hear rod knock at all.. then that's the major sign its gonna get flung to the side one day.. soon. How would you hear rod knock with the car off anyways? They don't have parties when you turn the car off.
LudaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2005, 09:28 AM   #5
butterthegreat
Preludepower Member

butterthegreat will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to butterthegreat Send a message via AIM to butterthegreat Send a message via MSN to butterthegreat Send a message via Yahoo to butterthegreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudaPower
How would you hear rod knock with the car off anyways? They don't have parties when you turn the car off.
That made me laugh
" the 3rd gen hitler himself

PreludePower.com's "OFFICIAL" 3rd gen Prelude Whore
butterthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2005, 09:28 AM   #6
OaTmeaL
Ludacious

When I turn off the car I hear a shuttering metal sound... It is when the engine is turning off when I turn the key off.

OF*C

Old 09-04-2005, 09:30 AM   #7
LudaPower

LudaPower is a jewel in the roughLudaPower is a jewel in the roughLudaPower is a jewel in the rough

Well it sounds like knocking.. thats why they call it rod knock. metal to metal knocking.
You know in the movies when you see a car go out of gas.. and they make that stupid ass noise of a car going out of gas when it actually sounds like rod knock.. well yea thats it.. to my knowledge.
LudaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2005, 09:31 AM   #8
ReyKe
8===>-- O

ReyKe will become famous soon enough

if you think your car has rod knock then there are several signs first off you'll have low oil pressure, might see metal shavings in the oil when you do an oil change. Advanced signs of rod-knock will be when you're sitting at idle and the engine is fully warmed and the oil light flickers rapidly not a constant and steady blinking like as if you did a hard turn and experienced a dry spell. And of course when you start your engine from it sitting for a while you might be able to hear a knocking until oil pressure builds and quiets the noise.

2011 the beginning of the end

ReyKe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2005, 09:35 AM   #9
OaTmeaL
Ludacious

1. First off you'll have low oil pressure, might see metal shavings in the oil when you do an oil change.
2. Advanced signs of rod-knock will be when you're sitting at idle and the engine is fully warmed and the oil light flickers rapidly not a constant and steady blinking like as if you did a hard turn and experienced a dry spell.
3. Of course when you start your engine from it sitting for a while you might be able to hear a knocking until oil pressure builds and quiets the noise.

I don't have any of that but I will double check my oil when I change it.

OF*C

Old 09-04-2005, 10:28 AM   #10
OMega
I am Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyKe
if you think your car has rod knock then there are several signs first off you'll have low oil pressure, might see metal shavings in the oil when you do an oil change. Advanced signs of rod-knock will be when you're sitting at idle and the engine is fully warmed and the oil light flickers rapidly not a constant and steady blinking like as if you did a hard turn and experienced a dry spell. And of course when you start your engine from it sitting for a while you might be able to hear a knocking until oil pressure builds and quiets the noise.
OOw that brings back some not so fun memories....
Old 09-04-2005, 12:05 PM   #11
Run_Away
Lude Boss

Run_Away will become famous soon enough

Prelude of the Month
heh, that bring me back to reality.

KNock knock knock.

Change your oil to 20w-50 like I have, it'll lenghten the life of the engine.
1995 Civic DX-SE

Run_Away is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2005, 12:34 PM   #12
OMega
I am Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaturally Aspired
heh, that bring me back to reality.

KNock knock knock.

Change your oil to 20w-50 like I have, it'll lenghten the life of the engine.
nah, its easier just to change the bearings for me
Old 09-04-2005, 01:54 PM   #13
delude

delude is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to delude
when mine threw a rod i didnt get any warning at all... i was just doin 75 down the interstate and there she blew...
Old 09-04-2005, 04:52 PM   #14
MGDMIRAGE
Preludepower Member

MGDMIRAGE has disabled reputation
Well you might not notice a knock at idle.. but once you get on the gas it CAN be very loud, if it is, you know you are on borrowed time

MGDMIRAGE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2005, 06:10 PM   #15
Hazmatt
True Luder

Hazmatt is on a distinguished road
I got a pretty good hunch that all hes hearing is his engine and muffler rocking and knockin somethin, f me if im wrong though
Hazmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2005, 01:10 AM   #16
hondalude89
~~EVIL LAUGH~~~

hondalude89 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hondalude89 Send a message via Yahoo to hondalude89

Believe me.......YOU WILL KNOW!!! There it sounds like there is screwdriver in your block. YOU WILL KNOW when it does knock.

New Shoes!!!
hondalude89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2005, 01:53 AM   #17
tsiah
no mo mod

tsiah will become famous soon enoughtsiah will become famous soon enough

low oil pressure
bad noise
bad bad unmistakable noise...I agree, you will know

Happy Owners Never Drive Anything else
Quote:
Ask for a new stranger? Tell them your's is defective, it's stuck in the on position.

tsiah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2005, 08:45 PM   #18
heyfrench
Quasi-AWOL

heyfrench is on a distinguished road

Knock Knock.

Who's there?

Rod.

Rod who?

Rod knock biooooootch!

Just like that.

Last edited by heyfrench; 09-05-2005 at 08:47 PM.
heyfrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2005, 09:00 PM   #19
tsiah
no mo mod

blue 7up dude pwning a penguin!

how come you unlocked it? I figured his question was answered

Quote:
Ask for a new stranger? Tell them your's is defective, it's stuck in the on position.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:02 PM   #20
heyfrench
Quasi-AWOL

heyfrench is on a distinguished road

to see if anyone would laugh at my post
heyfrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2005, 09:10 PM   #21
XDiGiTaLX
Elite Member

XDiGiTaLX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyfrench
lol chuckle, chuckle, chuckle!

yeah just how you described it.

when m yrod was knocking on the civic , i right away knew what it was...

i was going 60 miles/h and i slammed it in third to pop it... i didn't care.

Photoshop work done by me
XDiGiTaLX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2005, 09:15 PM   #22
motoxxxman
Banned

motoxxxman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to motoxxxman Send a message via Yahoo to motoxxxman
when i developed a rod knock in my 89, the oil light never flickered at all, and there was never any metal shavings in the oil. and when it sat for a while, it never made any unusual sounds immediately after starting. only way i knew was that i noticed it slowly losing power over a few weeks time, and eventually (once i turned the stereo down) noticed it made a rapping/knocking sound between 2k-4k. soon as i noticed that i immediately drove home and spent 16 hours nonstop tearing the motor completely down and rebuilding it with all new gaskets, rings, and bearings.

then came the joy of knowing the motor was fresh again and could be beaten on again very severely with no problems to arise (at least not for 50,000 miles or so). but goddamnit i hate waiting 3,000 miles to rev over 3k, and doing an oil change after 10 miles and every 1,000 miles thereafter for 3,000 miles. that 3,000 miles seemed like it took years to accomplish. and the whole never going over 55mph for the first 1500 miles for more than a few minutes also bothered me.

im so impatient, but at least i do it the RIGHT way, and take absolutely no chances. it pays off big time. now if only some people would follow suit and do the same, they might not come back complaining about how they threw a rod bearing only 500 miles or less after a rebuild

if anyone has ever seen a brand new motorcycle at a shop, or bought one brand new, they would know the sticker i am talking about when i mention the recommended break in procedure, as far as what rpms you can go to after certain mileage, and keeping it below certain speeds for certain mileage. now, cars dont have this. this doesnt mean brand new cars dont need to go through a break-in procedure when bought, cuz they do still to last without problems. the difference in why bikes have the sticker and vehicles dont, is cuz vehicles are somewhat broken in at the factory before being shipped to a dealer. aka, mileage on the car does not represent mileage on the motor. they are broken in to an extent before being installed in a completed car. bikes are not broken in at the factory, they are slapped together and shipped off.
therefore, rebuilt motors need to be very carefully broken in, you cant just jump in them, drive for 100 miles below 4k and think it'll be fine to drive however you wish after that
motoxxxman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2005, 09:21 PM   #23
tsiah
no mo mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyfrench
it made me laf

Quote:

Old 09-06-2005, 08:14 AM   #24
Norwegian

Norwegian is on a distinguished road
http://media.putfile.com/Picture-01425

That is what it sounds like my pore engine
Advertisement