how long do motor mounts last - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-01-2005, 06:11 PM   #1
paramthegreat
Elite Member

paramthegreat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to paramthegreat Send a message via Yahoo to paramthegreat

Unhappy how long do motor mounts last

i replaced both my front and rear motor mounts this january with brand new mounts from dealership. and for the past 2 days i have been metal-metal contact/grinding whenever i put my car in rear and try to back out. i had a mechanic drive me car and he says that my motor mounts r shot.

i think i am done with this car. the laundry list does not stop. i needs a new motor (b21a1 is gone), new tranny (need to swap auto-> manual), rear wheel bearing hub, control arm bushing, brake master cylinders and many more. if i can figure out a way to afford another car right now, i am ready to get rid of this one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

so i got another mechanic to look over the grinding issue. mind u i eliminated the motor mounts because i checked them and they r in pretty new condition. this guy said that it sounds like my tranny is going south. i might need a new auto tranny. offcourse on monday he will check it more carefully and determine what needs to be done and provide me an estimate.

now the thing is i do not want it to be tranny issue, but if it is, i want to replace my auto with a manual. how much is the cost estimate in either case. could someone pls be kind to point that out.

Last edited by paramthegreat; 09-03-2005 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Auto Tranny Needs replacement
paramthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2005, 06:22 PM   #2
MustardCat
Memento Mori

MustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the Internet

Just look and see if they are broke yourself, start the car pop the hood and turn the TB rotor to rev the engine, if it rocks back and forth a ton when you rev it up and let off, they are probably broke. You should be able to see little cracks in the rubber of the mounts too.
MustardCat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2005, 09:25 AM   #3
RedRacerX
Preludepower Member

RedRacerX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to RedRacerX Send a message via MSN to RedRacerX Send a message via Yahoo to RedRacerX
Your going ot have the same problems with any car that you can afford that is about the same price as our ludes.

Common wear and tear 14 years of it.

If you have the time and patience you really never need to buy another car unless it has Massive dmg. But even then.

I hear ya that your frustrated I have had many a time like that.

But think of it this way replace the mounts again if they need it then maybe the bushings and get a JDM B20A and your set for another 10+ years. Also replace Clutch flywheel and half shafts just to be safe.

But Meh

If you sell it I will understand but look into how much it will cost first. Labor is a Biotch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RedRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2005, 02:35 AM   #4
diamondsleeper
Lude Cray

diamondsleeper will become famous soon enough
Motor mounts don't have a specific service life. They last indefinately. At least mine have. Replace them when they wear out. Thats it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
diamondsleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
paramthegreat
Elite Member

Send a message via MSN to paramthegreat Send a message via Yahoo to paramthegreat

my symptons - pls diagnose

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsleeper
Motor mounts don't have a specific service life. They last indefinately. At least mine have. Replace them when they wear out. Thats it.
its not so much the mounts now. i have made sure it is not the mounts. i need someone to tell me what my symptoms sound like and tell me what could be wrong. i am gonna list them below in the hopes that someone knows what they are. first of all information about my lude: 90 si b21a1; auto tranny with 237000+ miles.
  1. whenever i put my car in "R" and try to back out; there is severe metal-metal rubbing/grinding.
  2. that stops when i put the car in "D" but do not start driving
  3. having put my car in "D" after a short drive, i hear the same grinding everytime in turn either left or right
  4. as of yesterday evening; i can hear some grinding/cluncking when my car is in "P" and idling.
  5. on the road when i am cruising or going over bumps i can feel grinding and clunking around the driver side.
  6. nothing is felt on passenger side axel area.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:32 PM   #6
paramthegreat
Elite Member

bump
Old 09-04-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
mouchyn
Preludepower Member

mouchyn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to mouchyn Send a message via AIM to mouchyn Send a message via Yahoo to mouchyn
checked your axles? ball joints?

Just call me the Thread Locker.
mouchyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement