94 accord alternator - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:04 AM   #1
3rdgenb21
Banned

3rdgenb21 is on a distinguished road
94 accord alternator

I just installed mine tonight, 90 amps. it wasnt very hard at all except for the fact that I waited until it was dark to do it(stupid) and I couldnt get the upper bolt all the way out because it kept hitting the stupid ass P/S pulley. a few of the bolts are a BITCH to get at too.
I had to use a longer bolt with more threads on the bottom as well. also... do what slipslap said if you dont want to swap alternator pulleys. put a washer between the P/S pump mounts to move it just a little bit over to clear the larger pulley. I'm glad I did it because if I didnt, it would have been rubbing when I put it together and I would have been pissed!

p.s. it's all shiney and matches my header!

i'll get pics when there's more light outside, flash dont work too good sometimes
3rdgenb21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2005, 08:52 AM   #2
preludegofast13
I am Prelude

preludegofast13 is on a distinguished road

Prelude of the Month
notice any difference, not power, but brighter lights or anything?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
preludegofast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2005, 08:58 AM   #3
mouchyn
Prelude Aficionado

mouchyn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to mouchyn Send a message via AIM to mouchyn Send a message via Yahoo to mouchyn
i did this mod years ago. i didn't notice any difference in the normal stuff like lights, but i did notice power delivery to my stereo system was much more even. My car didn't lose power when i was sitting at a stop light with ying yang twins turned way up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just call me the Thread Locker.
mouchyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2005, 02:21 AM   #4
3rdgenb21
Banned

at the moment i dont have my system in but I can see a difference in the electrical performance as far as the lights or windows go. I notice if im idling and I turn on my headlights even high beams it doesnt affect the engine speed at all like it did before. my battery was all the way dead when I installed this so I had to push start my car and it was on for about 15 mins and my battery was back to life like normal. I think it was a good mod, would definately recommend it if your alternator goes out, especially if you have a system.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:26 AM   #5
JAY_JAY_N
I am Prelude

JAY_JAY_N is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JAY_JAY_N Send a message via MSN to JAY_JAY_N
nice man.. post pics up... i've been thinking about doing this....hmmmm

JDM H22A Turbo Build in progress..
USDM B21A1, JDM FoldingMirrors
MOMO Carbon Fiber Tornado Steering Wheel with Tekniq Auto Quick Release
TOKICO Blue's / Ground Controls
HX RIMS / VOLK TE37
VIS DEMON BODY KIT - FS

JAY_JAY_N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2005, 03:16 AM   #6
3rdgenb21
Banned

my alternator wouldnt come out because this stupid bolt wouldnt go out far enough because of the pulley and the bottom p/s mount was a bitch to get at.

had to re-use my old heatshield, dunno if that's how they all are.

this one is just to show how the bigger pulley looks

this is where you put the washer in, there is another bolt under the P/S pump to insert another washer in between but hard to get pic of it.

the clearance is more than enough unless your pulleys are pretty bent or something. it's kinda hard to see in the pic though.

Last edited by 3rdgenb21; 04-06-2005 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:29 AM   #7
3rdgenb21
Banned

i noticed my belt is pretty tight now... it barely flexes, i mean its not REALLY tight but its pretty tight. should I loosen it a little bit?
Old 04-06-2005, 03:30 AM   #8
SiRxLaUgHs
Lude Boss

SiRxLaUgHs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SiRxLaUgHs
looks like an autozone part number.. haha..
kool..
i did the same swap, all i did was swap pulleys..
i also used an autozone alternator, and it turned out that size of the opening in the pulleys was different, so mine wouldn't fit over the accord shaft..
turns out it's a manufacturer thing..
all i did was go and buy a 90-93 accord alternator(pulley has same amount of grooves as ours) too..
put that pulley on the 94 alt, and returned the 90-93 alt with the 94 pulley, and handed my alt back as a core for the 94 alt..
phew

SiRxLaUgHs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2005, 03:35 AM   #9
3rdgenb21
Banned

yeah my buddy works at autozone so i got a discount!
Old 04-06-2005, 12:30 PM   #10
JAY_JAY_N
I am Prelude

JAY_JAY_N is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JAY_JAY_N Send a message via MSN to JAY_JAY_N
NICE PICS MAN.. someone should add these pics to the writeup on mustardcats site or at least in the FAQ's...

JDM H22A Turbo Build in progress..
USDM B21A1, JDM FoldingMirrors
MOMO Carbon Fiber Tornado Steering Wheel with Tekniq Auto Quick Release
TOKICO Blue's / Ground Controls
HX RIMS / VOLK TE37
VIS DEMON BODY KIT - FS

JAY_JAY_N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2005, 12:45 PM   #11
heyfrench
Quasi-AWOL

heyfrench is on a distinguished road

**now under Electronics & Wiring in the NEW FAQs**
heyfrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #12
mouchyn
Prelude Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to mouchyn Send a message via AIM to mouchyn Send a message via Yahoo to mouchyn
i hope you put washers on both of the PS mounting bolts.

kinda funny. If you had to remove the PS pump off its mount to put those washers in, why didn't you just do that at the beginning to save yourself the headache of the alt bolt hitting the PS pulley? it takes about 4 minutes to loosen the PS belt and pull the pump off. It's only 2 bolts!

Old 04-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #13
3rdgenb21
Banned

but mouchyn i couldnt get at the bottom bolt for the life of me, i had to turn it like a half a millimeter at a time! I need a ratchet wrench set also and it would have been much easier im sure.(not socket wrench)

and at first I tried to just undo the pulley off the pump but the pulley kept turning(yes I know about the left handed threads). but yeah for anyone to do this in the future just take the whole thing off in the beginning it will save a lot of trouble, along with the condenser fan.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:12 PM   #14
black88si
Getting Comfortable

black88si is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to black88si Send a message via MSN to black88si Send a message via Yahoo to black88si
my alty went out a few months ago and i tried the 94 alternator and the ludes pulley didnt fit on the accords shaft so i ended up going back to stock............should of tried sirxlaughs mod
black88si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2005, 07:19 PM   #15
SiRxLaUgHs
Lude Boss

SiRxLaUgHs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SiRxLaUgHs
if you don't wanna play with all the pulley swappin mess..
you could always just use the 90-93 accord alt..
it's 10 more amps (i think?) than ours and works just fine

SiRxLaUgHs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2005, 03:37 AM   #16
3rdgenb21
Banned

just get the 94-95 accord alt you dont have to touch the pulley

Last edited by 3rdgenb21; 04-09-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:12 PM   #17
88_lude'-si
Lude Addict

88_lude'-si is on a distinguished road
My alternator sucks my battery 24/7...if I'm going to get it replaced, I might as well upgrade...this thread is good stuff
Quote:
Yeah man. Keep givin' 'er. That shit's off tha muthafuckin' hook, y0. Total JDM shitass, shit man fuck. Wonton sauce.
88_lude'-si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2005, 07:53 PM   #18
thirdgenlude
Unactive

thirdgenlude is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thirdgenlude Send a message via MSN to thirdgenlude Send a message via Yahoo to thirdgenlude
Alright lol tryin to get this all straight before i do anything..ive got the 91 si 4ws stock b20A1 so if i take the 90-93 accord alternator it will bolt right up to my lude with no problems right and that also means not swapping the pulley and this will bring me up to 90 amps instead of the 70..but my only thing is ive got a BIG system in my car..im pushin 2 12 inch infinities in my car and my alternator wasnt impressed so im not sure if the 90 amp will do me much justice either..so if i got with the 94 alternator i have to change the pulley so take the pulley from my current alt and put it on the 94 accord alt....which should in which case still bolt up all nice and sexy..no? any help please you can e-mail me too if its any easier Extremesports62@hotmail.com
thirdgenlude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2005, 01:57 AM   #19
88_lude'-si
Lude Addict

No, it won't bolt up as-is. You will need to swap the accord pulley with the lude pulley and then you can bolt on the accord alternator with the lude pulley to your car, as long as you use washers where it bolts up
Quote:
Yeah man. Keep givin' 'er. That shit's off tha muthafuckin' hook, y0. Total JDM shitass, shit man fuck. Wonton sauce.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:24 AM   #20
MustardCat
Memento Mori

MustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the Internet

I just installed one from a 94 accord too. BUT the pulley it came with was 5 groove and all I had to do was use the longer bolt and nut for the bottom. I got this one from carquest.
MustardCat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2005, 10:32 AM   #21
Dexter
Prelude Aficionado

Dexter will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dexter Send a message via Yahoo to Dexter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_lude'-si
No, it won't bolt up as-is.
It seems that if you put a washer or two on the p/s pump bolts it will go in just fine. Did you see the pics?

Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2005, 06:40 PM   #22
Team Paradigm
Lude Addict

Team Paradigm is on a distinguished road
I just put in my 135Amp Accord Alternator from Alterstart.com and all i had to do was put a washer inbetween the powersteering pump and block just like everyone has said.

Works AWESOME. Rock solid 14.4 volts to my battery as opposed to my bullsnot 12.6 and dropping from my other alternator.
Now i gotta turn on my amps and see what the voltage drops to...

Email me or PM me if you need pictures of the install but the pictures in this post are exactly the same pretty much!
Thanks for the help guys! couldn't have done it without ya!!!

Danny
Team Paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2005, 02:37 PM   #23
88_lude'-si
Lude Addict

If I'm not mistaken, the pulley that comes with the Accord alternator has 6 grooves, in contrast with our Prelude alternator pulley's 5 grooves. Therefore, to get an exact fit, you need to swap the Accord alternator's 6-groove pulley with the Prelude alternator's 5-groove pulley. Or you could ghetto-rig it and leave the pulley on there; why you would do this when all of your resources are right there in front of you, I have no idea. But to each their own.

I, on the other hand, don't like ghetto-rigging things.

Quote:
Old 07-22-2005, 10:34 PM   #24
valenburg
Lude Boss

valenburg is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to valenburg
belt rubbing on the timing belt casing.

i did this swap and have had no problems except that the belt is rubbing on the timing belt housing and it snapped and now my car is broke down on the side of I-95 . should i remove the timing belt covering. or wut?

valenburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2005, 07:19 PM   #25
mouchyn
Prelude Aficionado

why was the belt rubbing on the timing belt cover in the first place?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement