Can i use 10 amp fuse for 15 amp application?NEED FST RSPNSE - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-03-2005, 03:00 PM   #1
LudaPower

LudaPower is a jewel in the roughLudaPower is a jewel in the roughLudaPower is a jewel in the rough

Can i use 10 amp fuse for 15 amp application?NEED FST RSPNSE

Electric mirrors normally use the 15 amp fuse.. i got it hoooked up on the 10amp fuse right now. Is that still ok or do i absolutely need to use the 15 amp fuse? Please respond quickly.
LudaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2005, 03:04 PM   #2
b21nate
Lude Dude

b21nate has disabled reputation
Ya you can use a 10 for that for now but the next time you go to get fuses I would change it back.
b21nate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
LudaPower

LudaPower is a jewel in the roughLudaPower is a jewel in the roughLudaPower is a jewel in the rough

Im talking about permanent.. i cant find the wire that uses the 15amp fuse n yesterday thought i had the right one.. but honda was too stupid to use different coloured wires so its impossible to tell which ones which n right now im stuck with 10 amp. Why would it be worse for long run anyways?
Old 02-03-2005, 03:06 PM   #4
gweedo007
True Luder

gweedo007 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to gweedo007
when swapping out fuses and breakers, using a more restrictive fuse/breaker will nto hurt your system, as it is actually MORE restrictive. Keep in mind this fuse will be more likely to blow because of its lower amperage tolerance.

using ones rated for MORE amperage than what is called for is harmful however..

1) 2001 Prelude SH
2) 1991 Prelude SI w/ JDM b20a swap
3) The woman that let me buy and keep #1 & #2
gweedo007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2005, 03:07 PM   #5
Chris.nl
Preludepower Member

Chris.nl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chris.nl

Prelude of the Month
You have a bigger chance to blow that fuse. But it's always saver to replace a fuse with a lower value than a fuse with a higher value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold !!
Chris.nl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2005, 03:08 PM   #6
LudaPower

ok thats what i wanted to know. i dont think a difference of 5amp will make all that big a difference.. meaning it prob wont blow that often
Old 02-03-2005, 03:14 PM   #7
Daily Interlude
Prelude Aficionado

Daily Interlude will become famous soon enough

Prelude of the Month
But why not just put what it's supposed to have? Seems like a waste of time for a dollar part...

Daily Interlude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2005, 04:01 PM   #8
LudaPower

I dont have any fuse holder things and like i said above i cant find the right wire.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:44 PM   #9
tsiah
no mo mod

tsiah will become famous soon enoughtsiah will become famous soon enough

I dont understand what you mean you cant find the right wire...
right wire for what?
what does using the proper amperage fuse have to do with finding this wire?

Happy Owners Never Drive Anything else
Quote:
Ask for a new stranger? Tell them your's is defective, it's stuck in the on position.

tsiah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2005, 05:55 AM   #10
LudaPower

http://www.preludepower.com/phpBB2/a...php?pic_id=323
I was trying to find the power mirror black yellow wire.. (i was using the power mirror wiring diagram). I saw a black yellow wire so i tested it to the fuse n it showed up (this was actually the fuel pump alternator fuse wire). I want to find the right wire but cant seem to figure out how with all the mess thats under there.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:30 AM   #11
tsiah
no mo mod

and so you cant put the 15A fuse back in...why?

Quote:
Ask for a new stranger? Tell them your's is defective, it's stuck in the on position.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:01 AM   #12
LudaPower

What are u talking about? Where did i say i cant put a 15amp somewhere?
Old 02-04-2005, 11:15 AM   #13
tsiah
no mo mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudaPower
Im talking about permanent.. i cant find the wire that uses the 15amp fuse n yesterday thought i had the right one.. but honda was too stupid to use different coloured wires so its impossible to tell which ones which n right now im stuck with 10 amp. Why would it be worse for long run anyways?
right here it sounded like you had some reason for not putting the 15A fuse in

other than you couldnt find one...

now that that's cleared up...can you explain why you need that wire to the mirrors? Im really confused on that still

Quote:

Old 02-04-2005, 11:23 AM   #14
Boosted521

Boosted521 is on a distinguished road
i didnt click on that link, but is it that you dont have a holder for the 15 amp fuse. if not, go to autozone and buy one. you can splice it into your wiring.

-----------------------------------------
07 gpw s2000 - 07 gsxr1000 - 08 4runner
-----------------------------------------
prev. - 03 s2000 / 03 350z perf. / 03 350z touring
03 cobra / 97 prelude / 06 cbr1000 / 03 cbr600 /
99 civic ex / 91 ford ranger
Boosted521 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2005, 12:22 PM   #15
LudaPower

i dont have autozone here.. im going out right now anyways so ill prob buy one.. much easier than finding those damn wiries under there. Tsiah u have some troubles there
Old 02-04-2005, 01:01 PM   #16
mouchyn
Preludepower Member

mouchyn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to mouchyn Send a message via AIM to mouchyn Send a message via Yahoo to mouchyn
Quote:
i dont have autozone here.. im going out right now anyways so ill prob buy one.. much easier than finding those damn wiries under there. Tsiah u have some troubles there
are these the factory power mirrors? if so, you shouldn't have to put in any fuse holders. It's fused at the block and rated at 15A for a reason. If you're away from home, and all the stores are closed, you can use a 10A fuse for the time being.

There is absolutely no reason you can't use the right fuse though. You can buy a box of fuses at any grocery store for less than 2 dollars. If you have to splice in some kind of fuse holder into a factory system, something is wrong and you need to fix the problem -- not the symptom.

I don't think anything pisses me off more than ghetto rigging.

Just call me the Thread Locker.
mouchyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2005, 02:46 PM   #17
tsiah
no mo mod

so you didnt have factory power mirrors...
I remember now...

Quote:

Old 02-04-2005, 08:59 PM   #18
LudaPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouchyn
Quote:
are these the factory power mirrors? if so, you shouldn't have to put in any fuse holders. It's fused at the block and rated at 15A for a reason. If you're away from home, and all the stores are closed, you can use a 10A fuse for the time being.

There is absolutely no reason you can't use the right fuse though. You can buy a box of fuses at any grocery store for less than 2 dollars. If you have to splice in some kind of fuse holder into a factory system, something is wrong and you need to fix the problem -- not the symptom.

I don't think anything pisses me off more than ghetto rigging.
Nothing pisses me off more than someone that doesnt know what im talking about. Ur making no sense. Where the hell did i say i didnt have a 15amp fuse? Maybe if you read wtf i wrote youd understand.. no offense but i dont feel like reposting the same exact thing. HOW EXACTLY.. please tell me this.. is it ghetto rigged? It wasnt there in the first place.. its not like itll magically fuckin appear.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:35 PM   #19
tsiah
no mo mod

ok luda...easy :P

chris, we are both mistaken on what he is trying to do
he didnt have power mirrors before
he is installing them now

you are probably find on just the 10a fuse...if it blows, put in the 15a and call it a day :P

Quote:

Old 02-04-2005, 10:56 PM   #20
Tecknixia
Ludacious

Tecknixia is on a distinguished road
haha, if I'm not mistaken too, he's got it hooked up to a connection that uses a 10 amp fuse... so if it blows his best bet is to replace it with another 10 amp, not 15 amp, because it could hurt whatever else is on that same connection... am I right?

It's supposed to be hooked up to the cooling fan relay, not the speed sensor/fuel pump/etc. wire, but he can't tell which is which because they're all the same color.

There may not be any problems, as long as 10 amp fuse doesn't keep blowing you're good to go.

Tecknixia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2005, 03:35 AM   #21
tsiah
no mo mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecknixia
haha, if I'm not mistaken too, he's got it hooked up to a connection that uses a 10 amp fuse... so if it blows his best bet is to replace it with another 10 amp, not 15 amp, because it could hurt whatever else is on that same connection... am I right?

It's supposed to be hooked up to the cooling fan relay, not the speed sensor/fuel pump/etc. wire, but he can't tell which is which because they're all the same color.

There may not be any problems, as long as 10 amp fuse doesn't keep blowing you're good to go.
no, you are not right...if the 10a fuse blows, then he should go to the 15a because thats the stock amperage fuse

[ Added: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:40 am ]
question for you luda
if you look at the back of the box, cant you tell which wires are coming from where? I cant remember...havent looked at it for so long
if you cant tell which wire is coming from where...probe a wire with a test light and pull those 3 fuses out til you lose power...then mark it with tape, turn the car off and put the fuse back

you have cooling fan relays...they are on the same circuit and its the only circuit that has a 15a fuse
the ign is not fused
the daytime running lights are 7.5A
the stuff thats on the other fuse is 10A

Quote:

Old 02-05-2005, 07:14 AM   #22
LudaPower

Tecknixia is right.. srry mouchyn i was in a bad mood last night. I didnt like the fact of calling my work ghetto. Tsiah I cant look at the back of the fuse box cuz theres so many wires holding it on and i dont wanna take them all apart. I feeled the back and there doesnt seem to be any wire coming out from it. They seem to be going directly to a some plugs connected to the box. I'm gonna try lookin for all 4 black yellow wires and testing each one.. now that i know which connection on the fuse is the right one. I dont have a test light though.. Would it work jus the same if i attached a light to a battery with some probes at the end?
Old 02-05-2005, 07:45 AM   #23
OMega
I am Prelude

OMega has disabled reputation
The black/yellow wire is honda's way of saying this is a fused 12volt wire thats on when the ingition is on. You could pull the fues you want then test all of 4 black/yellow wires. Once you think you've found the right one put the fuse back in. The test light will light up if its the right one. Or you could be a lazy hack and put power wire in the fuse slot then put the fuse back in on top of it. Thats only if your a lazy half ass hack who's even to lazy to buy a fuse jumper.
OMega is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2005, 08:14 AM   #24
LudaPower

Whats a fuse jumper?
Old 02-05-2005, 08:50 AM   #25
OMega
I am Prelude

OMega has disabled reputation
Quote:
Whats a fuse jumper?
Ok I guess the proper name would be fues clip or fues tap. These are nice if you don't like touching the wiring, but can get messy if you use to many.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WD1V

http://crowbarelectricalparts.com/Fu...useholders.htm
OMega is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement