What does the Idle screw do? Technical answers wanted - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-27-2004, 11:18 PM   #1
bigt61
Lude Addict

bigt61 has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to bigt61
What does the Idle screw do? Technical answers wanted

Hey guys,

I adjusted my idle screw and installed a new IACV yesterday because my old one went out. I was driving around today, and all of a sudden i get a high pitched sound, AGAIN after i replaced everything, as i describe in this thread...

http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200414

SlipSlap says it sounds like an air leak and it is whistling. So, i checked everything with intake cleaner... nothing happened. So, i continue to drive along my merry way putting up with the squealing nouse, not knowing where its problem lies, then about 20 minutes later my car starts idling erratically, so i pull over and check it out. I check the ECU, and get code 14, electronic air control. This is 2 times in a row with the same problem, and i just got a new IACV.

My question is this- does the idle screw have anything to do possibly with my IACV's going bad? Does screwing it in mess with the IACV in ANY way? It was about half way out when i screwed it in the first time to get the idle right then reconnected the IACV, and reset the ECU. Have I done something wrong?
Sony 1,000 Watt amp w/2 10 in. Subs
metallic red valve cover
bigt61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2004, 12:19 AM   #2
SiRxLaUgHs
Preludepower Member

SiRxLaUgHs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SiRxLaUgHs
is there a leak btwn the eacv and the intake manifold?
maybe the gasket isn't sealing properly..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SiRxLaUgHs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2004, 12:28 AM   #3
Slipslap
Unactive

Slipslap is on a distinguished road
Screw it all the way in, then back it out a turn. Get the car warmed up good, cause you can adjust idle while it's in warm up stage. Then adjust the idle with the screw. I made a mistake and adjsuted mine while it was still cold. Try that and see what happens. And I say spray throttl body cleaner on every thing on the intake that could possible have a leak. Cause if you hit it, it will suck up the cleaner and almost kill the car.

looking for a 3rd gen engine

READ this about engine ADDITIVES
Turbo manifolds for sale

Your car must be fast, cause you were flying when I passed you!
Slipslap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2004, 12:41 AM   #4
beehphy
Lude Dude

beehphy has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to beehphy Send a message via AIM to beehphy Send a message via MSN to beehphy Send a message via Yahoo to beehphy
if you use the product i mention below, hitting a vacuum leak will make the engine rev up.

BG Air Intake System Cleaner
Part No. 406

Net Wt. 14.75 oz. (600 ml)
Volume 19.9 fl. oz. Safely and rapidly removes accumulated deposits from the butterfly/throttle valve, throttle body and idle air control valves of the air induction system. Contains lubricants and anti-corrosion ingredients. Safe on oxygen sensors and catalytic converters.

or
The
is completely torn down. PM me for good parts prices.

beehphy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2004, 12:23 PM   #5
Preludetyper
Preludepower Member

Preludetyper is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Preludetyper
actually the idle screw wont do shit.......the computer has pre-determine the idle speed....its in the repair manual....it will automatically set the idle speed back. the only way the screw will work is if the management system is inactive.

LUDE OR GET LUDED!

Preludetyper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2004, 12:32 PM   #6
Bobnova
New title is new

Bobnova has a spectacular aura aboutBobnova has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Bobnova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preludetyper
actually the idle screw wont do s#$t.......the computer has pre-determine the idle speed....its in the repair manual....it will automatically set the idle speed back. the only way the screw will work is if the management system is inactive.

Fail.

The idle screw sets the idle, the computer adjusts the idle acording to the conditions, but it won't dial out your idle setting (not on OBD0 cars, OBD2 cars, and some OBD1, you can't even set it)

What the idle screw does:

There is a small passage, from inside the plenum, to the throttle body, it goes around, and bypasses the throttle plate.

The idle screw is set into this passage, and how far in or out it's set at regulates how much air can go around the idle plate.
Screw it in, it restricts the air more, and the idle drops.
Screw it out, and more air can flow past, and the idle rises.

Bobnova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2004, 12:37 PM   #7
Daily Interlude
Prelude Aficionado

Daily Interlude will become famous soon enough

Prelude of the Month
Bobnova hit it on the head as far as the idle screw function.

As for the pitch, my first guess would be vacume leak. Use the stuff that beehphy mentioned. It'll get you started...

Daily Interlude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2004, 12:52 PM   #8
Slipslap
Unactive

Slipslap is on a distinguished road
And something that goes along with what bob said. If you unscrew it to far it will act as a vacuum leak and give the up/down idle problem. I had that problem one time and it was the idle screw.

But again, spray the stuff beephy said and if you hit a leak it will rise. Spray the stuff I said and if you hit a leak the car will almost die.

looking for a 3rd gen engine

READ this about engine ADDITIVES
Turbo manifolds for sale

Your car must be fast, cause you were flying when I passed you!
Slipslap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2004, 08:32 AM   #9
dano
Prelude Aficionado

dano has disabled reputation
This is an old argument of mine with several members of this community. I'm talking about only the small idle bounce here not the massive ones.

#1 What make the idle speed bounce ? This is caused by a LEAN air/fuel mixture and is referred to as "hunting". ( even lawnmowers will do this )

#2 The TPS determines the amount of fuel being sent to the injectors at idle speeds. So all you can do is set the amount of air to be mixed with it.

#3 Although that screw on top of the throttle body is called a "idle speed screw" it actually is a "idle mixture screw". Yes, it does effect the idle speed but only by making it "RICHER" (lower idle speed) or "LEANER" (faster idle speed but will bounce if too lean) Yes..slipslap is correct, it can act as a vacuum leak. But...its a vacuum leak using filtered air ! ( turning it clockwise = richer.. turning counter clockwise = leaner )

#4 You actually can adjust the idle speed a little by playing with the stop screw under the throttle cable bellcrank on the front side of the throttle body. But you risk throwing off the delicate factory balance between the throttle plate opening and the TPS voltage output.

#5 I love this argument !!!

dano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
luude8o8
Lude Cray

luude8o8 is on a distinguished road
i have the same problem too... ill check it tomorrow

stuck between function and form.
luude8o8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
TripleLude
Elite Member

TripleLude has a spectacular aura aboutTripleLude has a spectacular aura about

Wow old thread. Glad you searched. I found on my lude the EACV electrical plug was loose when fully connected. I don't know if the EACV plastic shrank, or the wire harness plastic expanded, but I could wiggle it and the idle would change and I could hear the air tooting in.

A piece of electrical tape strategically placed took up the slack space in the plug. No more wiggle room and no more EACV code. I don't know if this is your problem, but it sure was one of mine.

|
|
|
|
|
|
TripleLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
teamable
Preludepower Member

teamable is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to teamable
i had a high pitch squeal like that, pissed me the hell of, drove me nuts. turned out to be in my throttle body base gasket, one of the vac lines on top of the tb was obstructed by a piece of dangling gasket.

-2 batts, 1 alt, 4 tires, 2 clutch MCs & 1 SC, 2 CV joints, 1 PCV valve... 179,XXX miles.
NOW: white 88SI-love it!
Quote:
Seriously. You take criticism about as well as a gorilla takes a dick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hprelude5R
If you paint your lude that color, you will be banned.
Got an acronym you don't understand?-

teamable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 04:56 AM   #13
luude8o8
Lude Cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamable View Post
i had a high pitch squeal like that, pissed me the hell of, drove me nuts. turned out to be in my throttle body base gasket, one of the vac lines on top of the tb was obstructed by a piece of dangling gasket.
explain more O_O.... because I checked all my lines they have no holes nothing -__-, plus they were all changed not too long ago.. what is this dangling gasket you speak of?..

Old 11-20-2010, 04:57 AM   #14
luude8o8
Lude Cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleLude View Post
Wow old thread. Glad you searched. I found on my lude the EACV electrical plug was loose when fully connected. I don't know if the EACV plastic shrank, or the wire harness plastic expanded, but I could wiggle it and the idle would change and I could hear the air tooting in.

A piece of electrical tape strategically placed took up the slack space in the plug. No more wiggle room and no more EACV code. I don't know if this is your problem, but it sure was one of mine.
EAVC electrical plug? which one is this?.. lol Im gonna search again..

Old 11-21-2010, 05:50 AM   #15
tazihonda
True Luder

tazihonda will become famous soon enough
Ive never heard of a bad idle device on a 3g. Usually a good clean and replace the 'figure 8' oring and they are good to go. Check the resistance of the unit. It is basically just a solenoid, very little to go wrong, the ecu controls it by switching it on and off a hundred or so times a second. If the ecu is displaying a code, check the plug on the unit, may have broken a wire in the back of the plug.
tazihonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 05:52 AM   #16
tazihonda
True Luder

tazihonda will become famous soon enough
I have also had to repair a few ecu's that blew the driver transistor for the PWM idle. It may be an ecu problem as well
tazihonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 06:03 AM   #17
dano
Prelude Aficionado

dano has disabled reputation
An often overlooked vacuum leak is the seal between the brake master cylinder and the booster can.

dano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement