Honda Prelude Forum banner

Need some advice.

3K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  hjdanzi 
#1 ·
Hi guys.. So A customer of mine owns a 300hp turbo d16z6 which ive tuned multiple times and its doing very very good in the drag strip. He just needs a little aid going a little faster and his turbo is maxing out at 17psi. Everything is very tight and i really dont want to modify all the darn thing to fit a bigger turbo, a new exhaust and whatnot.

Basically, i thought about installing a 50hp nitrous kit.

So Wet or Dry? Totally Dry?.. Why? cause i can fully neptune it using outputs and stuff, and its easier to install.

So what brand?

Ive looked into Zex dry kits.

But... i dont know why they advertise the kits like... ONLY FITS MUSTANGS.. OR ONLY FITS s2000? wtf? Cant i mount it wherever i want? Whats all the jazz about?

Anyways, basically i want a recommendation on what kit would you use on a turbo car, and all the other things that might not come into the kit and that are really needed.. .like... heater blanket, no2 gauge etc...

Price isnt an issue.

Let me know your opinion guys!

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Btw... all the dry kits come with a piggyback to control fuel and stuff.. i dont want that shit. And the zex page is not working right when i select dry kit... Isnt there a sex dry kit, with no electronics?

#8 ·
I use nitrous express. If you have the injector room, i would do a dry shot. What turbo is maxxed out at such a low hp and psi?

Start with a 50 and go up to 75, id needed. I would pull about 2 degrees for a 50. It will add more like 70hp. Nitrous and turbo is fun.

#9 ·
I use nitrous express. If you have the injector room, i would do a dry shot. What turbo is maxxed out at such a low hp and psi?

Start with a 50 and go up to 75, id needed. I would pull about 2 degrees for a 50. It will add more like 70hp. Nitrous and turbo is fun.
Thanks for the advice.

Regarding the turbo.. a small apl240 masterpower. It starts loosing psi's at 18 wastegate spring pressure. Its not hp rated but psi rated since it comes in stock cars. It is rated 20psi. At 18 it starts loosing pressure.

Thanks for the input about the nitrous express, and yes i do have inyector room... I dont have any problem in tuning it, i just need advice regarding what kit and what add-on's to add.

So i will check nitrous express too.... What add-ons would you recommned? heat blanket? no2 gauge? etc?

#12 ·
Pressure gauge is important. Also a bottle heater would be nice to keep a consistent bottle pressure, so the shot is similar everytime. I would get one that has a pressure switch, so that you can just set it and forget about it.

#19 ·
Bottle will always come empty, Nitrous isn't something that can be shipped around in freight!

The bottle heater that cycles based on bottle pressure is great, but still get a gauge on there to verify it, in case the heater sticks on or something.

If the car is being raced on a track, safety regulations may require a "racer safety valve" and blow-down tube that exits outside of the vehicle, just in case.

#21 ·
be sure when your tunning this that you have the extra fuel running a dry shot...
typically on a turbo car a 50shot will boost whp by about 65plus whp gain even though your only using a 50hp gain shot....

also nitrous adds the same ammout of tq as well so expect a gain in spool nd mid range...

also the hotter the iats get the more nitrous will affect the power. so if thi is a street cycle set-up go easy on the timeing and fuel settings

#22 ·
There you are!!! I was about to shout out, so you would appear lol. I will follow all your advices... I just wonder how much fuel should i need.... It wouldnt be good to be at 11.5 @ 17psi and then shot a 50 shot and go up to 16:1 lol... I will just continue to increment fuel as if i was getting proporcional psi's..

#23 · (Edited)
sorta....

think of nitrous as an instant hit of peak turbo efficiency.....
it is gonna add an instant hit of 50whp or more through the whole range...
you are gonna need to arm the ecu for the fuel and timing maps for that extra 50whp...

it is gonna be best too add the extra fuel and do a pull with the ecu armed but with the bottle turned off. this will allow you too make sure you got the extra fuel...start out rich and consirvitive....then turn the bottle on and make a pull...take away fuel and add timing as needed...check the plugs and egt temps as well for evenness...on 50shot the disburation will be fine but on bigger shot single nozzles this can be an issue....

basically nitrous on a dry shot is gonna require how ever much fuel you need for the complete package ie...550's/680's/100's all depends on the total power with the shot....

wet kits can stay with the current tuned injectors provided the fuel pump can keep up...
why are you thinking about dry and not just a simpler wet set-up?
you can still use an arm switch for the ecu with a wet kit and dial the a/f and timing in with a wet set-up just like dry...execpt the changes wont be a big

#24 ·
Thanks for the explanation and advices.. I thought about dry, since by this point.. ive tuned every single honda setup out there and this particular car was tuned by me several times and each time it gets better. So, since im able to tune it with no problems i thought about not dealing with the troubles of installing the additional parts of the wet kit... Like i think the wet kit is more for those who cant tune it or whatever.. but in this case? since ive tuned multiple times and stuff.. why should i need a wet kit? (that are my thoughts, but of course i appreciate your interest).

So, Ive tuned one car (d16a9) with nitrous and was a wet kit... It was very much on spot... but i think i will not have any problems with this. I understand what you mean about armed but not shooting.... you mean, like to make neptune swith map to "emulate the spray" in teh datalog and see how rich i should be BEFORE the real shot is in right? YES, ill certainly do that.

Thanks man,

#25 ·
that was correct above....running dry is fine and does save on parts just wondering your reasoning.....like the wet kits are usually spot on...but if you dont mind tweaking the dry kit it will make just as much power and is good learning cause bigger shot cars make more power on dry cause the fuel disburtion is better with the injector vs a nozzle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.