Honda Prelude Forum banner

The Basics to Turbocharging Your Car For Dummies

9K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  shaylude01 
#1 · (Edited)
The basics to turbocharging your car for dummies

This is just some basics to turbocharging your car. This is a basic for us dummies out there that no of nothing when it comes to parts to turbocharge our cars. I do not claim to be an expert and anyone taking this information proceed with caution. I am not responsible for any problems that may occur. Proceed at your own RISK!!! Thanks and I hope some of this info is useful. Enjoy!

The basic things that you will need in order to turbocharge are as follows:
The first listing of parts are for the absolute bare minimum to have a turbocharge car. There will be 3 lists in total. The first will be a bare minimum. The Second will be for a mild build. The last list are parts for a full build and no definitions or user info. Also a tune is always recommended.

Basic Bare Minimum List

• Turbocharger- This is the turbine and the housing that will push additional air to your car. It comes in all different sizes. Just choose the best size for your own individual setup.
  • Turbo Manifold- This is the exhaust manifold except that it bolts up to your turbocharger. Pretty self explanatory. It comes in all different sizes and style. Just choose the best size for your own individual setup.
  • Intercooler and Intercooler Pipes- This is what helps cools down that additional air that the turbocharger gives you. Pipes connect from throttle body to intercooler to turbocharger. These too come in all sorts of different sizes. Same as turbo choose the best size for your own individual setup.
  • Downpipe- This is the exhaust pipe connected to your turbocharger that allows for exhaust gases/air to push the turbines in the turbo to push the additional air to your car.
  • Blow off Valve- This is the piece that releases the additional air into the air to keep the additional air from blowing back to your turbocharger and messing it up. Its also the thing that makes the PSSHHHH noise a lot of people like to hear.
  • Wastegate- This is the piece that releases the additional air from your turbocharger to prevent from using to much psi of air into your car. Basically it keeps your car from gaining “too much” additional air from the turbocharger and blowing your motor up.
  • Oil Feed and Return Lines- This is the stainless steel lines that gives your turbo oil to keep it cool and drains back down into your oil pan. Pretty same like your engine keeps the parts cool and lubricated.
  • Boost Gauge- This part is a gauge that shows the amount of boost you are running. This is a must because you don’t want too much boost and blow your motor.
  • Boost controller- This controls the amount of boost you are running. This part allows you to increase boost pressure which will allow for more horsepower but too much pressure can hurt or blow up your motor without it being built.
Mild Build List

• Everything that’s included with the above Basic Bare Minimum List and the following.
  • ECU and Tuning System- If you have an OBD II ecu or not a tunable ecu, a tunable OBDI ecu is recommended. The tuning system is comes in all sorts of system. Hondata and Crome are just a few example of tuning system. Tuning system are based upon individual preferences. Choose the tuning system that works for you and your budget.
  • Fuel Injectors- Fuel injectors allows fuel to be injected into your motor. Stock fuel injectors don’t allow for enough fuel to be put into your motor and compensate for that addition air from the turbocharger. Bigger fuel injectors allow for more fuel to be put into your motor. The size of the fuel injectors are based upon an individual’s setup.
  • Fuel Rail- Fuel rails allow more fuel to be pushed to the fuel injectors. Aftermarket fuel rails are bigger which allow more fuel flow to injectors. Fuel rail come in different brands and are based on individual budget and preference.
  • Fuel Pump- The fuel pump pumps gas from the gas tank to your motor. Stock fuel pumps are limited to the amount of gas it can pump to your motor. Fuel pumps come in different sizes. Fuel pumps are based on individual setup and budget.
  • Fuel Pressure Regulator- This part regulates the fuel pressure going to the motor. Too little fuel and too much fuel can cause you motor problems and blow your motor.
  • Intake Manifold- The intake manifold allows for the air to be put into the motor. A bigger intake manifold and shorter runners will allow for better air flow to your motor. Intake manifold are base upon an individual preferences and their budget.
  • Throttle Body- This part opens and closes to regulate how much air is going into your intake manifold. Be sure to port match the opening of this part with the intake manifold to maximize your air flow. You don’t want to restrict air flow to your intake manifold.

Full Out Motor Build
  • Everything from the bare minimum list and mild list and the following
  • Rods, piston, sleeves, camshafts, cams gears, valves, valve springs, and valve retainers.

See less See more
#2 ·
first post! :p

bare min wouldn't need boost controller. and your last list .. listss camshafts and cams.. same thing. mean cam gears?

#3 ·
first post! :p

bare min wouldn't need boost controller. and your last list .. listss camshafts and cams.. same thing. mean cam gears?

Yes I meant cam gears. Its been edited. You would want a boost controller if you didn't choose the correct wastegate to monitor boost and have boost creep. You wouldn't want to overboost a stock motor and not be able to bring the boost down.

#5 ·
the additional air into the air to keep the additional air from blowing back to your turbocharger and messing it up
LOL if i was a little more dislexic id be having a siezure right now. LOL

#6 ·
inorite lol... my eyes arent used to seeing blue txt... i think its a decent turbocharging for dummies simply because im a dummy -_-

#7 ·
wait hold on. i have a question. Ive got a 6psi spring in my wastegate, i just bought a blox manual boost controller. Now will this allow me to only turn my boost up? Or only down? Which one?

#10 ·

There really isn't a best brand out there because there aren't very many brands out for h22 or h23 right now. There are treadstone, rev hard, greddy, and turbo specialties from nopi are the last few turbo kits available. Its all a matter of how much money and what kind of build. These 4 kits have decent brand parts and arent like "SOME" of the garbage kits from ebay. You just have to judge on what parts you want and get the right kit that suites you and your budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.