Review: BPi Flowstack - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Review Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2006, 05:49 PM
bangin' gears
98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all
Review: BPi Flowstack

http://www.bpinitiatives.com

pepsi sucks, but thats all hungry howies had :P

lamp shade?? hahahahahaa

Pro's:
First all this is very cheap. about 50 dollars shipped and about 40-45 dollars for the filter. I got the filter through amazon.com. Bryan recommends K&N Filter part# RF-1048. If you already have a short ram intake, this product is very easy to install. Just like installing a new air filter. I'm sure the same concept applies for a cold air, but i have been wanting to cut my intake to a short ram for a while now since this IS florida and it rains damn near everyday. I'm going to have to cut the filter shorter to get the stack on, but the grinder i was using was kinda awkward and thats the shortest i could get it.
From his site:
* Injection molded from PA66 Glass-filled Nylon, the same material family used for GM, Ford and others for radiator caps, induction systems, intake manifolds and other engine bay components
* Optimized Flow Stack geometry to maximize air flow rates
* Light weight design reduces overall weight compared to metal counter- parts and reduces mechanical stress on existing air induction system and mounts
* Each Flow Stack is optimized for use with specific K&N filters to maximize flow rates
* The use of Nylon significantly reduces heat soak, or the amount of heat absorbed by the velocity stack and then transferred to the air
* The Flow Stack is universal in application, limited only by the space requirements of the air filter and the ability to couple the Flow Stack to your air induction system

Cons:
I cant really think of any. It's so cheap and the theory makes so much sense that i just couldnt think of any reason why not to get it. plus i needed a new filter.

First impressions:
i had to cut my CAI to a short ram so obviously it was louder. I put the flow stack on and it growled a bit more. Power wise, i cant really tell if i gained anything. I dont want to misinterpret sound for power so i'm going to wait for the next time im on the dyno, which should be at the next Florida Prelude meet in mid October.
Although i didnt feel much of anything, the power feels more consistent and "smoother" for lack of a better term.

All in all, i'm pretty satisfied with my purchase. I was in serious need of a new filter and i figured another 45 dollars for something that really could only help would be worth the try. I'll keep everyone updated when i go to the dyno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 05:56 PM
True Luder

honda_racing101 is on a distinguished road
That filter looks mighty thirsty. Mountain Dew>Pepsi tho. Im interested to see how much power this thing makes.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:06 PM
bangin' gears

98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all
i'm doubting its much of a gain, but every little bit helps. Especially if it helps throughout the whole range.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Preludepower Member

irolllow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2L
i'm doubting its much of a gain, but every little bit helps. Especially if it helps throughout the whole range.
That's what all the ricer kids with ground wire kits and Tornado inserts say...

Just kidding. Nice review. I'm thinking of getting one of these and using it with the A'PEXi Mega Flow filter whenever I install my turbo kit.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:17 PM

bignels is on a distinguished road
I've been looking forward to getting a flowstack and a hondata intake gasket with my AEM v2. I wonder if it'll fit.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:22 PM
bangin' gears

as long as the end of the intake is 3" in diamter, it will.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:17 PM
bangin' gears

finally driving without worry
Old 09-10-2006, 11:32 PM
Future S2000 Owner

BDoggPrelude will become famous soon enough
Hey Blake. Did you give up on the ITB's?
Old 09-10-2006, 11:36 PM
bangin' gears

sold them. Wasnt happy with the end result. The person i sold them to has an h22 in an integra, where the motor sits more forward. They are getting sent to a machine shop to have the throttles bored to fix the warping and getting new throttle plates made for them. As well as fixing the fuel rail mounts......and throttle linkage.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Jimmy Rustler

danny_d19 is the King of the Internetdanny_d19 is the King of the Internetdanny_d19 is the King of the Internetdanny_d19 is the King of the Internetdanny_d19 is the King of the Internetdanny_d19 is the King of the Internetdanny_d19 is the King of the Internetdanny_d19 is the King of the Internetdanny_d19 is the King of the Internetdanny_d19 is the King of the Internetdanny_d19 is the King of the Internet
Interesting product, nice work
Old 09-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Future S2000 Owner

BDoggPrelude will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2L
sold them. Wasnt happy with the end result. The person i sold them to has an h22 in an integra, where the motor sits more forward. They are getting sent to a machine shop to have the throttles bored to fix the warping and getting new throttle plates made for them. As well as fixing the fuel rail mounts......and throttle linkage.
Are going to try to make another set or are you done with all of that?
Old 09-11-2006, 01:30 AM
bangin' gears

dunno. I'm gonna do some more research on some stuff before i go into that again. Right now, i'm pretty much done trying to make it fast, its plenty quick as it is. Got the new header coming in soon (for real this time, finally got the call from Mr. Randy ) Gonna be spending money on the dyno alot so i can get some more experience on the dyno before me and a buddy of mine start our Dyno/Street tuning business type thing.
So other than tweaking the hell out of my ecu, prolly not gonna be doing much of anything major for awhile. These little things like the velocity stack are just cool to test out and since it was so cheap, i couldnt resist.

i have no clue what i want to do after all this. I'm in save mode now for a new product that i dont know about yet
Old 09-11-2006, 01:47 AM
Preludepower Member

97 Lude VTec will become famous soon enough
what programs are you going to be tuning? or should i ask, which programs do you have experience tuning?
Old 09-11-2006, 01:52 AM
bangin' gears

vafc, safc, and Crome Pro

thats all for now. I would like to give hondata a whirl just so i can throw that in there. But thats 500 dollars that i dont wanna spend right now since i already have a decent program.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:58 AM
Preludepower Member

i dont think there are any good tuners in my area at all, which is why i am asking.

built turbo 5th gen lude, is only hitting around 340whp at 16/17lbs. If i recall, Ben (ludetech) was hitting 328whp at 10lbs? Could it also be the fact of him having 9:1 compression? I would have though it would be more?
Old 09-11-2006, 02:10 AM
Prelude Aficionado

Blue01 is a jewel in the roughBlue01 is a jewel in the roughBlue01 is a jewel in the rough
Less compression would require more psi, if anything.

Tubular manifold, big turbo is how you get big numbers with low boost.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:20 AM
Preludepower Member

^^log style, not a small turbo.. dont recall exactly the one.

and i know lower compression, you need more boost to get more power... but it just seems low.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:22 PM
bangin' gears

what program is he running?
Old 09-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Preludepower Member

hondata
Old 09-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Type-Esss

Cruiserdude is a jewel in the roughCruiserdude is a jewel in the roughCruiserdude is a jewel in the rough
Sweetness, looks pretty good. Once I figure out which intake to get, I'll have to give this a try. Oh, and you said you had experience w/ the vafc, would that be a good cheap alternative to the e-manage ultimate or is it just crap in ur opinion? You already know that I have to get a piggyback since I wanna keep atts, but since I can't afford e-manage ult. right now, would vafc be a good tool for the meantime or no?
Old 09-25-2006, 06:10 PM
bangin' gears

a vafc is semi-decent. I mean it does allow you to clean up the a/f, but the problem is that power is not ultimately a result of a/f. You get power from tuning the ignition. If you dont plan on doing anything other than basic bolt ons, then a vafc will be ok for you.

Yea i have some experience with it. I could prolly teach a 10 year old how to use it and tune with it, but thats besides the point other than the fact that its very user friendly.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Elite Member

nthusiastt is on a distinguished road
you need direct port 100 shot.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Type-Esss

Cruiserdude is a jewel in the roughCruiserdude is a jewel in the roughCruiserdude is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2L View Post
a vafc is semi-decent. I mean it does allow you to clean up the a/f, but the problem is that power is not ultimately a result of a/f. You get power from tuning the ignition. If you dont plan on doing anything other than basic bolt ons, then a vafc will be ok for you.

Yea i have some experience with it. I could prolly teach a 10 year old how to use it and tune with it, but thats besides the point other than the fact that its very user friendly.
Yeah, I mean like in that other thread where I asked my questions I really want some power but of course don't wanna lose my ATTS. Therefore, other than maybe cams or mild headwork or something, I'll be limited to bolt-ons. Of course I do like the e-Manage Ult alot better, but the vafc is alot cheaper and may hold me over, I dunno. I should probably just focus on other aspects of my car and just do basic engine bolt-ons until I really have the money to do it right. BTW, random question, and I'm sure I could have searched enough to find the answer, but Greddy Evo2 is 2.5", right?
Old 10-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Lude Dude

95hprelude is on a distinguished road
2.2L: why dont you wanna do cams or anything liek that?
Old 10-04-2006, 02:36 PM
bangin' gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95hprelude View Post
2.2L: why dont you wanna do cams or anything liek that?
cuz if im gonna build the head, im gonna build the motor. Cams need compression. Especially the ones im gonna run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement