Honda Prelude Forum banner

5th gen Manual Transmission Fluid change

15K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  SH^ftw^01 
#1 ·
HI everyone, I'm new to the board and to working on cars but I have a 2001 honda prelude type Sh. I'm wondering where I can get a detailed description on how to change the manual transmission fluid in the car and how many quarts I might need. If anyone has any info on this, please pass it along. Thank you.

#2 ·
yeah you should take the plug out the bottom of the tranny(passenger side) then plug it and the fill plug is a little higher up from there. I think it takes about 3 quarts. Use only honda or maybe royal purple. Don't use any old tranny fluid because it will start slipping. you might want to change the atts fluid as well it uses honda auto tranny fluid. If you need pics i'll get you some. its not hard to do just a pain.

#3 ·
I think it takes about 3 quarts.

5th gen manual trans calls for 1.6 or 1.7 quarts. Definitely not 3! You use the top fill hole and fill until it comes out of the top fill hole or is even with the bottom of the top fill hole. 3 quarts is to much and I don't even know if it is possible to get all of them in. Use Honda manual trans fluid!

Speak up peeps with more posts than me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.