HOW TO: Install wireless charging in your center console - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:46 AM   #1
SHLuding
Lude Dude

SHLuding is on a distinguished road
HOW TO: Install wireless charging in your center console

HOW TO INSTALL WIRELESS CHARGING

So if you are like me, you saw the center console of your prelude and looked at the cupholder and thought, "Gee that looks like the perfect spot for a charging mat", here is the thread to make that dream a reality.

PHONES I HAVE USED WITH THIS:
Galaxy S6
LG G3

Materials:
-Dremel tool with cutoff wheel
-Hobby Grade servo tape/double sided tape (Can be found at RC hobby stores)
- Phillips screwdriver
- 3 Coil wireless charging mat (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) This is the exact one I used.

1: REMOVE YOUR CENTER CONSOLE
I am not going to go over this in detail as it has been covered before. Here is a link to a site that will help if you have questions though http://www.redlinegoods.com/Prelude9701install.php

2: DISASSEMBLE YOUR WIRELESS CHARGER
In order for wireless charging to work at maximum efficiency, the phone and the charger coils need to be as close as possible. As a result the casing surrounding your charger is unnecessary plastic spacing your phone and the coils further apart. You should remove the casing and get to the circuit board. This is quite simple to do. There are 4 foam feet on the bottom of the charger. Pop them out and they will reveal a screw under each for a grand total of 4 screws. Take these screws out. Once removed, the casing should pop apart revealing the circuit board.

3: DREMEL TIME
Now move to your center console. Underneath your cup-holder there is a slot almost perfectly designed to cradle a wireless charger. However, between you and your wireless charging glory hole is a post. This post needs to go (CIRCLED IN RED). Take your dremel with cutoff wheel and grind this post away. I had to cut a small slot in the bottom of the deck in order to allow my dremel to get close enough to fully cut out the post. Once the post is removed, the slot should be free of obstructions and ready to accept the charging unit.

4: THE CARDBOARD BENEATH YOUR COILS
Now that the wireless charger board is without its casing, it is quite thin. It fits in the slot like a hot dog down a hallway. In order to take up the excess space beneath the charger, I simply took a piece of cardboard and cut it to the shape of the wireless charging board. I then placed it underneath the wireless charger to space it right up against the bottom of my cup-holder. I secured the cardboard to the circuit board with the hobby grade servo tape.

5: MEASURE TWICE, TAPE ONCE
Now the most tedious part of the install. Positioning the charger. Wireless chargers can be quite picky as to where the phone is placed on them before they start charging. They have to be in just the right spot in order to charge. As a result you need to place your phone in the cup-holder exactly where you want it to be when charging, and then plug in the wireless charger and begin moving it around underneath the cup-holder until your phone begins to charge. I made mine so when my phone is flat and pushed all the way to the front of the cup-holder it begins charging. It works very well when I am driving because I know it is charging without having to look. Make sure to pick up the phone and set it back down multiple times to ensure the charger begins working reliably. Once you are satisfied, tape the charging unit down in its slot.

6: POWER TRIP
Now, you need to run USB power to your wireless charger. The best way to do this is if you have an aftermarket head unit with a USB port in back. I have a double din Pioneer in my car, and I simply ran the USB cable along the center console and up into the dash and plugged it into the back of the head unit. This is the best and cleanest way to do it. You can however just run the USB cable to your cigarette lighter with an adapter as well. Both will work just as well, one just looks cleaner.

7: REINSTALL
Now simply put your whole center console back together and do a final test run. You now have installed a feature that most new cars don't come with into a 15+ year old car. Suck it Toyota. I have been using mine for over 6 months and it still works great. I could sell the car and nobody would know it's even there. Not that I would ever sell my lude. Ill be dead before that happens. Feel free to ask for any additional clarification or pictures. I am happy to help. Enjoy your charging.

Last edited by SHLuding; 10-10-2016 at 03:50 AM.
SHLuding is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2016, 06:22 AM   #2
Mr. Bobby
Getting Comfortable

Mr. Bobby is on a distinguished road
Nice write up!
Mr. Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement