Shock Knock Fix How-To / DIY - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Renegade44

Renegade44 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Shock Knock Fix How-To / DIY

This is a guide on how to fix the notorious clunking noise (Shock Knock) that is generated from the rear on 5th Gen Preludes.

BACKGROUND: The clunking noise being addressed in this guide is caused by the shock collar found at the top of each rear shock assembly. It is commonly referred to as "Shock Knock" and is experienced by nearly every 5th Gen Prelude owner. This issue was addressed by Honda and suggested repair was released as TSB 00-090. In this TSB, Honda calls for the replacement of the shock collar by a new collar that is shorter in length. I purchased these new collars for around $10/each at my local Honda Dealer. The part number can be found below. You will need two new collars (same part number). After performing these steps, I experienced zero clunking noise from the rear.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way, shape, or form, responsible for you screwing up your car, taking it apart to a point where you can't get it back together, or burning your garage down. It is up to you to diagnose what parts are causing your noise. This guide will only remedy the issue caused by the collars. Perform this task at your own risk. If you are not comfortable working on your car, find a friend to help you, buy a friend to help you, or spend your life savings at a certified Honda dealership for them to do it for you.

BASIC INFO:
Difficulty Scale ( 1 (easy) - 10 (difficult)): 2
Time Required: 25 - 35 mins
Parts Needed: Shock Collar 52728-S30-004 (Quantity x2)
Tools Needed: 5mm Allen Wrench, 14mm Wrench, Pliers, Flat Head Screwdriver, Vise Grips, Lube/Grease

NEW SHOCK COLLAR (TOP) VS OLD SHOCK COLLAR (BOTTOM)

NEW SHOCK COLLAR

TOOLS NEEDED

LETS GET STARTED:

STEP 1: Remove your trunk liner pad. You simply just lift it out.

STEP 2: Remove the plugs holding in your trunk liner. There are three plugs on each side of the trunk. Use the flat head screwdriver to pry them out a little bit. Then grab with pliers and pull them completely out. Once all plugs have been pulled, peel back the trunk liner till it's out of the way and you have access to the top of the shock assembly.

STEP 3: Place your 5mm allen wrench in the end of the bolt and use your 14mm wrench to remove the nut. The allen wrench prevents the bolt from turning in place when loosening the nut. It may take a bit of elbow grease to get the nut off. Place the wrenches as shown in the second pic below and squeeze to break it loose.

STEP 4: Once you have removed the nut, also remove the metal washer under it. You now have access to the rubber bushing. Use your flat head screwdriver to pry the bushing up and out. Work around from all sides prying it up a little bit at a time until it pops out.

STEP 5: Once the bushing is out, you now have access to the shock collar. Use your vise grips to clamp on to it. Move it back and worth while pulling up to remove it. The only thing holding it in at this point it the lower rubber bushing.

STEP 6: Now replace everything in the order in which you removed it. Grease/Lube the new shock collar and put it onto the bolt. Then place the rubber bushing and metal washer onto the bolt. Finally, place the nut back on and tighten everything down. Repeat this same process for the other side of your car.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, keep them to yourself. Seriously though, let me know if you do. I'm more than willing to help.

Last edited by Renegade44; 05-11-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Renegade44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
frijoles
Elite Member

frijoles will become famous soon enoughfrijoles will become famous soon enough

Do you know why this is an issue on these cars or exactly what causes this problem? I've never encountered this before on any car. Just curious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Accord Wagon build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
frijoles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
dprince78
Getting Comfortable

dprince78 is on a distinguished road
went by dealership and ordered mine today. hopefully this will fix the problem. that noise is so annoying
dprince78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Ryevin
Getting Comfortable

Ryevin is on a distinguished road
Makes sense, I have that noise when ever I go over something on a angle and a slope, like turning into driveway. Nice to know its an easy fix and cheap. Thanks for the write up.

1990 SI - totaled
1996 SI - engine seized
2001 SH - still tickin.
Ryevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
dprince78
Getting Comfortable

dprince78 is on a distinguished road
swapped mine out today but I still have the clunking noise coming from the trunk. any other idea on what could be causing this?
dprince78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
samson
Getting Comfortable

samson is on a distinguished road
Need to try this
samson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #7
OaTmeaL
Ludacious

OaTmeaL has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to OaTmeaL Send a message via AIM to OaTmeaL Send a message via MSN to OaTmeaL Send a message via Yahoo to OaTmeaL
Does anyone know if the front suspension can have the same issue as the rear or is this just an issue on the rear suspension?

OF*C
OEMFitment Crew Member 01

Future: OEM fogs, Koni/GC setup, spacers, and 4 7.5" S2000 wheels.
OaTmeaL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
PreludeBB6
Getting Comfortable

PreludeBB6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaTmeaL View Post
Does anyone know if the front suspension can have the same issue as the rear or is this just an issue on the rear suspension?
Nope, this problem only affects the rear suspension and diy guides for these have been floating around various forums since the early 2000's.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #9
vgeissler
Getting Comfortable

vgeissler is on a distinguished road
why not not just cut off 1/8 of an inch off the original and save the cash. This noise is pretty loud Thinking I also have some sway bar issues. Only 88600 miles but I think age has gotten to them.
vgeissler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
gzes
True Luder

gzes is on a distinguished road
Nice well I'm slammed but gotta check what it all is when I do the engine swap
gzes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 05:17 AM   #11
bykfixer
Getting Comfortable

bykfixer is on a distinguished road
Gotta do this one someday.

Thanks for the write up Renegade.

I had been calling it trunk clunk but see the proper term is shock knock.
bykfixer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 06:23 AM   #12
Schwebe
Getting Comfortable

Schwebe is on a distinguished road
Sorry for reviving a decently older thread, but I am just curious to what vgeissler said.

"why not not just cut off 1/8 of an inch off the original and save the cash."

Would that actually work. I am not really worried about saving the extra 10 bucks, but I am trying to eliminate this stupid noise and would like to find out if that's it before ordering new parts.
Schwebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #13
blacklud
Getting Comfortable

blacklud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwebe View Post
sorry for reviving a decently older thread, but i am just curious to what vgeissler said.

"why not not just cut off 1/8 of an inch off the original and save the cash."

would that actually work. I am not really worried about saving the extra 10 bucks, but i am trying to eliminate this stupid noise and would like to find out if that's it before ordering new parts.
yep.
blacklud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #14
BlueLudeChicago
Getting Comfortable

BlueLudeChicago is on a distinguished road
If replacing the stock shock with aftermarket, will you still need a new shock collar?
BlueLudeChicago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2015, 06:16 PM   #15
Meraut
Getting Comfortable

Meraut is on a distinguished road
Okay so i was performing this after work, tired, and like a dope i managed to strip the allen key hole on the left shock. Suggestions?
Meraut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2015, 11:33 PM   #16
BlazingPuppies

BlazingPuppies is on a distinguished road
i checked and i don't even have one of these on my rear shock is that bad?
BlazingPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2015, 11:21 PM   #17
BlazingPuppies

BlazingPuppies is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraut View Post
Okay so i was performing this after work, tired, and like a dope i managed to strip the allen key hole on the left shock. Suggestions?
this happened to me when i was replacing the shock, what i did was clamp some vise grips under the dust boot onto the shock and take an impact gun to the nut. (I had the whole shock/spring out of the car so you might have to do that too)
BlazingPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #18
nomore6337

nomore6337 is on a distinguished road
First and foremost, the DIY post is much appreciated.
But it's about 15 years late for me. I had this issue back in '01 and no one could figure out what the cause was, including of course the dealer. Allegedly, they tested on rough roads but could not reproduce the clunking sound coming from the rear passenger side strut.
I've owned the car for almost 17 years, and at 157K mi, the sound is still there but not as prominent. Maybe the collar has worn down a bit.

This brings me to another question to which I cannot find an answer.
How long do the struts last on the 5th gen? All four of mine are original and I love cornering on it even more now since I have been driving a Venza more recently.

Last edited by nomore6337; 04-25-2016 at 04:51 PM.
nomore6337 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement