kaizenspeed h22 timing tensioner - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Review Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Lude Dude
dontbuyprelude is on a distinguished road
kaizenspeed h22 timing tensioner

just got a little box in the mail. here are the insides.

the tensioner itself is made from one solid piece of machined aluminum. it has a tension rod that is threaded into the top of the tensioner body. it twists up and down to get the desired tension. then a jam nut jams the thread rod. included is a 1/8" thick wrench about 3" long so it should fit easily into the cramped engine space.

ill update the fitment, etc once i actually install it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 08:47 AM
True Luder

afrotec is on a distinguished road
Dude, hell yeah. Thank you for doing this, I'm considering purchasing one pretty soon. Lookin forward to your update
Old 01-06-2012, 08:52 AM
True Luder

1Slw4Dr will become famous soon enough1Slw4Dr will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrotec View Post
Dude, hell yeah. Thank you for doing this, I'm considering purchasing one pretty soon. Lookin forward to your update
I second this!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:56 AM
cinci-91-H

Although I already did the H23 conversion, I too am excited about the outcome here.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Lude Dude

dontbuyprelude is on a distinguished road
so far so good.

a little suggestion i have is to put some threadlocker on the tension rod's threads right before you tighten the jam nut.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Lude Addict

a1cnas is on a distinguished road
this is a bit off topic, but what does the factory hydro tensioner do when it fails. Like, what part of it fails, and what does it look like or do/not do when it fails, or does it fail do to user error.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Ludacious

rchid06 will become famous soon enoughrchid06 will become famous soon enough
I'll be keeping my eye on this... I've always been intrigued as to what this does and why people want it over the non manual tensioner...
Old 01-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Getting Comfortable

IJChan223 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1cnas View Post
this is a bit off topic, but what does the factory hydro tensioner do when it fails. Like, what part of it fails, and what does it look like or do/not do when it fails, or does it fail do to user error.

When the factory tensioner fails it lose all of the pressure, causing the belt to have slack causing all sorts of problems.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Lude Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJChan223 View Post
When the factory tensioner fails it lose all of the pressure, causing the belt to have slack causing all sorts of problems.
the only pressure there is in the hydro tensioner is spring presure, not fluid pressure. a spring forces piston out, while a set screw unscrewing keeping it in the outwards position, the oil in it is intended to keep things lubricated while it works, so is it that the oil is nolonger inside it that it stops functioning, causing slack or does the tensioner break in some sort of way. this is the question. Same goes with the SS tranny, its not the tranny, its the lack of maintenace and abuse that breaks them.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:51 PM
True Luder

1Slw4Dr will become famous soon enough1Slw4Dr will become famous soon enough
If in fact it is spring loaded and that is how it works then the springs probably fail. It's similar to how car springs will sag after years of abuse and such I would think. Over time the spring losses it's ability to keep the piston fully extended as it should and it allows to much slack at higher RPM and then it skips timing and ka boom . . . bent valves. If I am mistaken let me know but it's the best theory I can think of. The J series motors all use this type of adjuster as well and I've never herd of them failing so I'm curious as to why it's only a H22 issue?

But back on topic where's this review at lol I got about 4 months until I start putting my motor together but this would be something good to know when the time comes lol
Old 01-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Lude Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Slw4Dr View Post
If in fact it is spring loaded and that is how it works then the springs probably fail. It's similar to how car springs will sag after years of abuse and such I would think. Over time the spring losses it's ability to keep the piston fully extended as it should and it allows to much slack at higher RPM and then it skips timing and ka boom . . . bent valves. If I am mistaken let me know but it's the best theory I can think of. The J series motors all use this type of adjuster as well and I've never herd of them failing so I'm curious as to why it's only a H22 issue?

But back on topic where's this review at lol I got about 4 months until I start putting my motor together but this would be something good to know when the time comes lol
I agree with what you said, it truly seems as though the tensioners that fail, R all aftermarket POS's and simply do not have the copasity to hold up and those that R factory R not replaced as they should, leading to failure, and ones that R replaced, where done improperly. again, User error

Last edited by a1cnas; 01-11-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: info
Old 01-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Lude Cray

nusdogg is on a distinguished road
Nice! Can't wait to see the outcome though I have an H23 manual tensioner conv myself.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Ludacious

Apex1972 will become famous soon enoughApex1972 will become famous soon enough
wish this was out a few months ago when I had my tming belt replaced with the H23 tensioner, that bitch is tight as hell.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:34 PM
NOMnomNOM

Kyleb1115 will become famous soon enoughKyleb1115 will become famous soon enough
dumb question, but i have one on its way to my house, but how do you know how tight to make it? im not familiar with how the h22 tensioners work, as i never had one, went straight to the h23 tensioner. this one is for a friend.

im just worried it might loosten over time?
Old 01-27-2012, 07:46 PM
True Luder

element600rr will become famous soon enough
tighten it enough that the belt has a little tension on it .. rotate twice check again .. make sure its snug but not like a rubber band ..

if you tighten the jam not good it should never come loose .. if you want a little extra insurance use a little locktite ..
Old 01-29-2012, 07:02 PM
NOMnomNOM

Kyleb1115 will become famous soon enoughKyleb1115 will become famous soon enough
so it never needs to be tightened again? how do you know if you have enough tension?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:29 PM
I am Prelude

Bruised_ego has a spectacular aura aboutBruised_ego has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1cnas View Post
I agree with what you said, it truly seems as though the tensioners that fail, R all aftermarket POS's and simply do not have the copasity to hold up and those that R factory R not replaced as they should, leading to failure, and ones that R replaced, where done improperly. again, User error
wrong, brand new oem honda auto tensioners fail all the time. weve replaced a few motors and heads because of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleb1115 View Post
how do you know if you have enough tension?
its just like doing any timing belt job, if you dont have the proper tool to adjust the tension then you have to do it by feel, not too tight not too loose, firm.

by design it should loosen up but thats seen all in due time. if i had to put thread lock on in, id be careful what strength it is.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:41 PM
NOMnomNOM

well thats what i mean. belts stretch. should you go a little on the safe side and tighten a bit more so when it stretches it goes back to where it should be? or does the original tension compensate for that? haha usually mine come out a bit tight and sound a bit like a supercharger. i would not know this though, i cant tell over the real one! hahaha
Old 01-30-2012, 08:52 PM
I am Prelude

rev_rage has a spectacular aura aboutrev_rage has a spectacular aura about
i was interested untill i seen the 100$ price
Old 01-31-2012, 06:56 AM
Lude Dude

gabrielude is on a distinguished road
I think $100 is way cheaper than a snapped timing belt, or an h23 spring chewed up by the belt and lets not talk about bent valves ect.... even though I've never experienced any of that, it kinda makes sense to use this instead of the h23 kit or the original Auto tensioner, unless of course if i would have already done h23 kit it would be OK, but i say this is the upgrade for whoever has done h23 kit convertion. just my opinion
Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 AM
NOMnomNOM

i feel the same way. when i redo my motor, not sure if i will go and grab this since i already did the h23 tensioner, but on my buddies new h22a, were using this. if it matters, they also include a $20 gift card for any of their products with your purchase, so that might help the price a bit if you plan to buy more from them in the future.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:27 AM

crxh22honda is on a distinguished road
Dang I didn't know about this thanks guys I will use this on my build. Crxh22 all motor 2.46L almost BisiMoto everything.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 AM
True Luder

afrotec is on a distinguished road
I just ordered mine today. Can't wait to get this autotensioner shit out. I still don't quite understand exactly how it works though

Last edited by afrotec; 02-02-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Lude Cray

Rosko will become famous soon enough
Hey guys I've got these in stock as well! I posted a thread in my vendor forum.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:14 AM
Getting Comfortable

SpoonMotorSports is on a distinguished road
how much for this kit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement