Bosch Platinum Plus spark plugs - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Review Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Preludepower Member
5spd5thgen will become famous soon enough5spd5thgen will become famous soon enough
Bosch Platinum Plus spark plugs

Ok, so for the NGK fanboys, hear me out.

For years ive owned preludes, 3 in fact. A 1999 sport shift, a 1997 base 5 speed and my 1995 VTEC.

ALL of them have experienced the dreaded 3000 rpm bog.

On my last 2 preludes i have tried new plug wires, caps, rotors, egr, o2 sensors and the list goes on.

Recently i stopped in pep boys and intended to buy some new ngk plugs in an attempt to cure my low rpm bog. Needless to say they were sold out and the guy offered me autolites. I laughed my ass off. (tried them in my sportshift and they were terrible.)

So i asked if there were anymore options and he pointed out the bosch platinum plus plugs, so i decided to try them. They are pre gapped, and they cost 4.17 for 4 so i figured, why not.

And WOW. The car runs better than it ever has. It SPINS half, not chirps part of second gear now. And my 3000 rpm bog is gone.

Give them a shot. I officially stand by them. Ill give my seal of approval to a thumbs up for the bosch platinum plugs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Lude Boss

schmitty has a spectacular aura aboutschmitty has a spectacular aura aboutschmitty has a spectacular aura about
Interesting, I'll have to give these a shot next time I'm due. That 3k bog annoys the piss out of me.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:10 PM

daludevtec is on a distinguished road
im not sure, never experienced the 3k bog. I DO however have annoying low rpm bog, like under 2k rpm when starting from a stop. its SUPER weak. i have to give her hell and when it does finally grab power im surged forward lol. i havent really messed much with it or dug into the problem as of yet.

on a topic related note, i never heard great things about bosch platinum for our cars. i used them back in the day for my 4g63 and they didnt sit well with it. i just may take your word for it and try it here shortly when im due for new ones.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:41 PM

97redlinelude is on a distinguished road
yea stick with ngk dont like bosch too each its own
Old 11-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Preludepower Member

5spd5thgen will become famous soon enough5spd5thgen will become famous soon enough
ive heard good and bad, but my word stands with the bosch plugs!

I also have my timing advanced 2 degrees, they might run better with the advanced timing. I also run only 93 octane. Alot of variables can come into play
Old 11-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Deluded

bb6 vtec will become famous soon enough
how do you advance your timing if your obd2?
Old 11-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Preludepower Member

im obd1
Old 11-28-2011, 06:30 PM

xxxxxxxxxxslowpoke69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spd5thgen View Post
im obd1
Do any of you with the 3k bog have the auto trans? I just bought mine for 1k, so far I love it! Like one of you said, once she hits 3k, she GOES! I didn't know if I had a trans problem or something, I guess not now, glad I found this forum. Thanks for any answers guys.

I know I have to try to keep the speed down, it's such a blast to drive, can't wait to start doing stuff to it.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:09 AM
Lude Dude

eurobob1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Denso iridium or piss off
Old 11-29-2011, 02:52 AM
Lude Cray

ludist has a spectacular aura aboutludist has a spectacular aura about
My project Rabbit I sold to my buddy still runs the Bosch Platinums I put in it over 20 years ago, 100K miles on the rebuild. I haven't tried them in a Prelude, but I have no motivation to switch brands (same holds true for Eibach, Bilstein, Quaife, Neuspeed, Autotech and Techtonics Tuning parts on that car). The best parts are the ones you don't have to replace.

Last edited by ludist; 11-29-2011 at 03:24 AM. Reason: forgot autotech
Old 01-04-2012, 11:43 AM

tackla is on a distinguished road
Ngk for life
Old 02-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Lude Dude

lude_racer420 is on a distinguished road
so i took this thread and turned it into an experiment......i went and bought ngk iradium plugs then the bosch platium 2's i filled up on fresh premium gas and put in the ngk's droved around town and a few back roads for about 20 miles driving normal then pushing it, then put in the bosch plugs and did the same route exactly as before and the resolts of it was the ngk's keep it running, good acceleration, good through the vtec stage, but my car booged at about 7 grand now as for the bosch a bit more acceleration and good through the vtec stage the burn out seems better and rpm's went through to the rev limiter which i think was 7'800 so i left the bosch in and sold the ngk's to a civic boy lol i stand by bosch platium 2's BUT effects may be different due to the fact the not ever mind nor prelude on this tiny little earth is the same or in the same condition ......
Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 PM

00-SH will become famous soon enough
Well I'm due for a tune-up anyway, so I think I'll give the Bosch a shot. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:27 PM
True Luder

westernprelude is on a distinguished road
Interesting. Thanks for posting the review. I've got several tune-up items to do, and I think this will be one of them. Thanks again!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:52 PM

jordanangelo is on a distinguished road
they're supposed to last longer than NGK but they also lose power. I had them for a week and switched back to ngk because my lude felt sluggish. never again
Old 05-13-2015, 03:31 PM
Lude Dude

bmv2000 is on a distinguished road
Tried autolites and they really didn't feel any different than NGK. Have used Bosch Platinum in other cars, 3-series BMW, and didn't feel any different either though they did last longer. Have read though that if the car didn't come with Platinum plugs from the factory, better off just sticking with regular copper core plugs.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:32 PM
True Luder

BChadbb6 is on a distinguished road
cars run best with what they were designed with. Bosch makes quality stuff for German cars. the car might run well when you first install them, but I bet they wont last as long. when I was a teenager and didn't know anything, I put Bosch Platium +4's in my grand am. 15k miles and the car wouldn't start at all.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:26 AM

WhosPrelude86 is on a distinguished road
Has anyone tried any other Spark Plug, other than NGK, in a 86 Honda Prelude 2.0 Si???
Old 08-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Lude Boss

handballallday has a spectacular aura abouthandballallday has a spectacular aura abouthandballallday has a spectacular aura about
stick with whatever came with the car which is most likely NGK or Denso copper plugs and just change them out every 20-30k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement