Duralast C-Max pads - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Review Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Bearderator
xxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud of
Duralast C-Max pads

As a rule of thumb I try to avoid autozone replacement parts for my vehicle. With the brake pads though, I couldn't really see a legitimate reason to go with something else for DD uses. At about $50 for the front pad set, I feel they're more than reasonable for what you get. They're ceramic, so tend to handle heavier braking a bit better, and they have plenty of stopping power. They come with the metal shims to install them, which is nice if your old ones have seen some 195,xxx miles, as well as a packet of grease for them. They fit right into the calipers, I did not need to do any filing what so ever, just be sure that when it comes to the inside pads with the wear indicators, slide the top in first.

Best of all IMO is that through some arcane sorcery autozone offers them with a lifetime warranty, which even protects against wear. I'm happy knowing that I won't have to pay for another set of pads for my car again.

Braking power: Great
Dust Production: Had them on for a week, very little so far
Noise: According to the design, it incorporates some rubber shim into the pad itself to help reduce noise, so they've been quiet since installation.

EDIT: I've had these pads on for well over a month now and I have to say I am really impressed with the amount of brake dust they create(very little compared to my last set of ceramic pads). I went from having my white rims turn grey then black in about two weeks, to them only being slightly grey after over a month. I do get my heavy braking in too. These are really continuing to impress me considering I wasn't expecting this much from the duralast brand.

Last edited by xxfallacyxx; 12-08-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 02:24 PM
True Luder

afrotec is on a distinguished road
Sweet! I've been lookin for a set of pads with a warranty like that. Nice review too, thanks.

Edit: I'd rep you but I have to spread it around first. Boooo!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Lude Dude

Scuberz892.0si4WS is on a distinguished road
woot! i work at Autozone and those are some great pads. i only buy those for my lude now until i get a better upgrade but its hard to pass up a warranty like that for sure lol

Old 12-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Bearderator

xxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud of
Final update! It's been a couple of months and I'm still impressed on the brake dust situation! My old ceramic pads would require a scrubbing with a brush to remove all of the brake dust. The dust from these duralasts came off in an automatic car wash I used to melt the ice off my car!

That's good stuff.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:51 PM
I am Prelude

egjdmh22a has a spectacular aura aboutegjdmh22a has a spectacular aura about
the gold series is pretty good also
Old 01-03-2011, 11:51 AM

jaimzer is on a distinguished road
Easy brake dust removal is a plus. Spending a hour cleaning just the rims sucks!!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Lude Cray

iheartmyprelude will become famous soon enough
Are you guys using these with the Brembo blanks? I need to do my brakes AGAIN, for the 3rd time in 4 years. My fronts are warped to ish, I'm sure it's because of my bad setup. I have cryo treated rotors (which are super hard) and Raybestos pads which are simi-metallic. Ya I know, worst $200 ever spent.

I've been researching and looking up every brand for 6 months and cannot come to a solid conclusion. I've used the stock Nissins (sp?) and stock rotors and it just doesn't do it for me, my pedal gets soft after a few stops and they don't bite at all. I don't mind spending a little extra to get a better setup, I'm just tired of having to change them every year.

BTW, I know my master cylinder is good lol.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Bearderator

I can say that on stock rotors the braking difference between the stock pads and the duralasts is night and day. I don't have slotted rotors yet though, but I imagine the benefit will only continue to increase.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Lude Cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfallacyxx View Post
I can say that on stock rotors the braking difference between the stock pads and the duralasts is night and day. I don't have slotted rotors yet though, but I imagine the benefit will only continue to increase.
Yes, thank you. I've somehow convinced myself that my lude is the only one that has crappy brakes because every other 5th gen I've driven has had amazing stopping compared to mine. I'm going to try the Brembo blanks with the C-Max pads.. Hey what can go wrong with a lifetime warranty lol.

Also, have you had any issues with warping rotors?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Bearderator

Nope, and I do like to brake pretty hard lol. Occasionally find myself going from 110-45ish for an exit. Takes no time at all. I hang out with another luder (Darthanis) occasionally and he says my lude brakes much faster than his, the only difference is I have the c-max pads.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Lude Cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfallacyxx View Post
Nope, and I do like to brake pretty hard lol. Occasionally find myself going from 110-45ish for an exit. Takes no time at all. I hang out with another luder (Darthanis) occasionally and he says my lude brakes much faster than his, the only difference is I have the c-max pads.
I trust you so much I will in fact buy brake pads from autozone lol. I have never put anything from autozone on my car except wipers lol.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Bearderator

Haha only cleaning products here. The price + warranty + performance can't be beat.

Here's a more in depth review on an Evo forum.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-tir...ly-driver.html
Old 01-04-2011, 04:36 PM
I am Prelude

ShadowKing_05 will become famous soon enoughShadowKing_05 will become famous soon enough
I never really understood why people bad on duralast pads. They do their jobs just dandy, and the Cmax's are just fuggin awesome Except sometimes they don't come with a complete hardware kit.

I've put these pads on cars from grandma dd's to vigilant auto x's and never had a complaint.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Ludacious

greatdane68 is on a distinguished road
Me either. That's all that I use on my cars. Can't beat 'em.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Bearderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKing_05 View Post
I never really understood why people bad on duralast pads. They do their jobs just dandy, and the Cmax's are just fuggin awesome Except sometimes they don't come with a complete hardware kit.

I've put these pads on cars from grandma dd's to vigilant auto x's and never had a complaint.
They bash on them because the general accepted rule of thumb: you get what you pay for.

Unfortunately because the C-Max's are so cheap, they earn a reputation of being having sub-par performance for their category. There are sometimes items that perform really well and are priced remarkably competitively, and as such people pay them no attention or are more willing to dismiss anyone's claims about their value because of the price.

I can understand people not trusting duralast parts with their lives, it's the type of product it is. It's meant to be cheap, and built cheap, and are subject to quality defects because of the cheap construction.

Fortunately for us, this is not the case with the C-Max pads.
Couple their great performance/price with the lifetime warranty/free replacements and it's amazing. Think about it, you spend appr. $60 once and have free replacements for as long as you want. It's win win.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Getting Comfortable

rollidude89 is on a distinguished road
that is great warranty cant beat that
Old 08-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Getting Comfortable

Ill'Luding is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes I put a set on a much heavier car n looking to put them onto he prelude but right now I have rear caliber problems so I guess by necessity the rear will be dreplaced first
Old 10-25-2011, 05:57 PM
True Luder

oddwayne is on a distinguished road
yea their warranty doesn't cover regular wear I thought. I was under the impression that the have a limited lifetime warranty. The guy at my autozone, kept telling me people come in all the time saying they want their new set of pads cause theirs has worn down after normal use.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Getting Comfortable

cucurumbe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddwayne View Post
yea their warranty doesn't cover regular wear I thought. I was under the impression that the have a limited lifetime warranty. The guy at my autozone, kept telling me people come in all the time saying they want their new set of pads cause theirs has worn down after normal use.
As long as they give you the right size for your car they're ok. IF they give you the right one.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Lude Dude

Kent_Racing is on a distinguished road
wow, im glad i read this review now i know what brake pads to get! thanks for the review fallacy
Old 01-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Getting Comfortable

Captnemos40 is on a distinguished road
swweety,off to autozone,
Old 01-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Getting Comfortable

Captnemos40 is on a distinguished road
got so excited got a speeding ticket on the way there.;[
Old 01-17-2013, 01:19 PM
I am Prelude

Mahusay3g will become famous soon enough
How do you manage that?
Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Lude Dude

Kent_Racing is on a distinguished road
man that sucks, ghotta take it easy on the gas pedal
Old 02-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Getting Comfortable

Sinistr is on a distinguished road
Not a bad set of pads for the price. And the warranty is unbeatable. I had doubted that they would replace my worn out CMAX gold pads for my TL-S, but I just took them in, gave them my phone #, and exchanged the old worn out ones for some fresh new ones. So far, so good. No complaints here. And for a DD, stopping that huge pig of a car, they do really well. CMAX gold, F&R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement