The Official Oil Leak Guide - Page 3 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #51
biglegs
Lude Addict

biglegs will become famous soon enoughbiglegs will become famous soon enough
do you have an sh? if not go at it from the bottom, the atts unit on the sh is in the way, but on the base, you can get to it. you just gotta manipulate your hands down to the oil filter, really if you can get your oil filter off, you can get the cooler off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biglegs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #52
biglegs
Lude Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by klager01 View Post
I think you need to add to the DIY how you did it in 15 min on an SH. It took me 15 minutes too... after I took out the ATTS.
Fal- I know I said I'd add to that thread...I have pictures coming soon.

whaaaaaaat? why did you take the atts unit off? lmao, no need to go that far to get to the oil cooler. just like i said to coop, if you can get your oil filter off, you can get the cooler off. just do exactly like the diy says, its a tight fit, but its not hard. really, impact guns help too.

Last edited by biglegs; 11-09-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #53
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

xxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud of
It's only 54lbs of torque too, a half inch drive will be able to remove that no problem. On the SH it should be gone after from the top just like changing the oil filter.

J.L.D.E.P.P.M.S.3.C.N.Y.C.N.C.M.A.D
xxfallacyxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #54
biglegs
Lude Addict

yup, what he said^

Old 11-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #55
Coop760
True Luder

Coop760 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglegs View Post
whaaaaaaat? why did you take the atts unit off? lmao, no need to go that far to get to the oil cooler. just like i said to coop, if you can get your oil filter off, you can get the cooler off. just do exactly like the diy says, its a tight fit, but its not hard. really, impact guns help too.
I have an Sh, and a skunk2 mani, hand bearly fits, I can take the oil filter off. But i cant get the tool in there to take the top off the oil cooler. If i go from the bottom the i would have to take the axle out and maybe the atts unit! what a bitch!!! Im looking into a relocation kit by greddy at the moment.

BB698: Daily Driver

97Hatch:Totaled hit water pipe.
Coop760 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #56
biglegs
Lude Addict

that wont move your cooler though, just the filter. you gotta get the cooler off to get to the o-ring.i used an impact, so you should be able to get to it with a 1/2" drive 3" extension. a universal joint might help if the angle is difficult. but honestly, even with the skunk2 mani, you should have no problems getting it off. its tight, and you cant really swing the oil cooler too far, and getting the oring on and keeping it inplace is really the most difficult part.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #57
Coop760
True Luder

Quote:
that wont move your cooler though, just the filter. you gotta get the cooler off to get to the o-ring.i used an impact, so you should be able to get to it with a 1/2" drive 3" extension. a universal joint might help if the angle is difficult. but honestly, even with the skunk2 mani, you should have no problems getting it off. its tight, and you cant really swing the oil cooler too far, and getting the oring on and keeping it inplace is really the most difficult part.
Ur right about the location of the cooler. So ill give it another shot today. but i might have to go from underneath.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #58
klager01
True Luder

klager01 is on a distinguished road
This should really be in the oil cooler thread but-
I had the ATTS out already because I was doing a bunch of other stuff. No matter if I went at it from the top or bottom and used a shallow or deep socket I could not for the life of me get a wrench on there until the ATTS was out.

3.31.2010: 2001 EBP SH, Sold to a buddy
9.20.2011: 2009 SWP WRX

Quote:
There will be BACON available by the way!
klager01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #59
biglegs
Lude Addict

i have an sh as well, i got mine out with no problems. dunno why you guys are even thinking about removing the atts unit or axles. you are going waaaaaaaay out of your way just to get to the cooler. i followed fals write up , step by step. only difference is i used an impact gun. IF YOU CAN GET YOUR FILTER OFF, YOU CAN GET THE COOLER OFF. its a bitch, but its the way i did it. it might not have been 15 minutes, but it definitelywas under an hours worth of work.

Last edited by biglegs; 11-09-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #60
Coop760
True Luder

I had it done, My friend has a shop kpowered. But In order to get the cooler ring out he had to do it from under neath, pull the axle off too. No more oil Leaking!

Old 11-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #61
biglegs
Lude Addict

still dunno why he had to pull an axle, but at least you got it done! told you it was the cooler, those things are a bitch!!! rep?

Old 11-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #62
addicted2fresh89
Getting Comfortable

addicted2fresh89 is an unknown quantity at this point
this is wat i needed.. now only if it got a lil warmer in PA i can get this shit done. THX MommysLittleHelper
Wings West RS lip kit
05' RSX Type-S rims
or
Rotas P45F rims

FS: Make Offers or Trades
98 Stock Intake
98 base grille
98 stock shocks (complete set)
addicted2fresh89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #63
gaborn73
Elite Member

gaborn73 is on a distinguished road

repped. Awesome thread!

gaborn73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #64
Coop760
True Luder

Quote:
still dunno why he had to pull an axle, but at least you got it done! told you it was the cooler, those things are a bitch!!! rep?
My strut bar was in the way, and the manifold. But he got it done... I'll give rep.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:26 PM   #65
GrnLude99
Lude Addict

GrnLude99 will become famous soon enough
ok so im getting my clutch done soon. Should I trust this ebay rear main seal, or should i drive up ~50 miles to the closest honda dealership and get it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fel-P...Q5fAccessories

99' Ficus Green Pearl Base

-AEM V2 -Hytech Rep-Password JDM Test pipe -Greddy Evo 2 -F&F Type 1's- ITR Wheels- ESP Motor Mounts-

Florida Ludes Join Here-->

GrnLude99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #66
MommysLittleMonster
Opinionated Bastard

MommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MommysLittleMonster

Prelude of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnLude99 View Post
ok so im getting my clutch done soon. Should I trust this ebay rear main seal, or should i drive up ~50 miles to the closest honda dealership and get it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fel-Pro-BS40430-Rear-Main-Bearing-Seal-Set-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aPreludeQQhashZitem 1e606fa321QQitemZ130466947873QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fT ruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
I would get an OEM honda part. Fel-Pro is okay, but hard to beat OEM. You can order it from Majestic Honda, they'll ship it to your door.

MommysLittleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #67
GrnLude99
Lude Addict

GrnLude99 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
I would get an OEM honda part. Fel-Pro is okay, but hard to beat OEM. You can order it from Majestic Honda, they'll ship it to your door.
Well thanks bro, i already bought from the dealership.. cost me $23 including taxes. I was cheaper at majestic but the shipping was killer. They were going to charge me $28 and on top of that I'll have to wait a few days.

99' Ficus Green Pearl Base

-AEM V2 -Hytech Rep-Password JDM Test pipe -Greddy Evo 2 -F&F Type 1's- ITR Wheels- ESP Motor Mounts-

Florida Ludes Join Here-->

GrnLude99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #68
ThatWhiteSH
Getting Comfortable

ThatWhiteSH is on a distinguished road
this helped alot!!
ThatWhiteSH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #69
Coop760
True Luder

Allways go Oem on seals, belts plugs.....

Old 03-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #70
MommysLittleMonster
Opinionated Bastard

MommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to behold

Prelude of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWhiteSH View Post
this helped alot!!
That's why I do these writeups. Thanks for the rep!

Old 04-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #71
boymeetsfence
True Luder

boymeetsfence will become famous soon enough
Bringing this back a little... I have an SH and I got my Oil cooler o-ring replaced, OEM part used, but I'm still leaking quite a bit, maybe even more. Is there something else I might be overlooking?

boymeetsfence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #72
scndchnce
True Luder

scndchnce is on a distinguished road
I have a pretty bad oil leak but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. I'm leaking a couple courts every couple weeks so it's starting to be a pain in my ass to keep up with it. I went to go remove my valve cover before the winter, and all but 2 of my bolts came out. The one in the middle, and the front drivers side bolt. They just kept spinning, and spinning, no matter if I was trying to tighten or loosen them. I figured these were probably my culprits and I was leaking from my valve cover probably from those spots. So.... how would you guys go about fixing this? Do you think my valve cover studs are stripped? Or maybe the block itself is stripped and I need a helicoil or timesert?

scndchnce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #73
MommysLittleMonster
Opinionated Bastard

Prelude of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by boymeetsfence View Post
Bringing this back a little... I have an SH and I got my Oil cooler o-ring replaced, OEM part used, but I'm still leaking quite a bit, maybe even more. Is there something else I might be overlooking?
Read through the thread man, there's a lot of places for oil to leak on H22's. Just gotta look around and find them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scndchnce View Post
I have a pretty bad oil leak but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. I'm leaking a couple courts every couple weeks so it's starting to be a pain in my ass to keep up with it. I went to go remove my valve cover before the winter, and all but 2 of my bolts came out. The one in the middle, and the front drivers side bolt. They just kept spinning, and spinning, no matter if I was trying to tighten or loosen them. I figured these were probably my culprits and I was leaking from my valve cover probably from those spots. So.... how would you guys go about fixing this? Do you think my valve cover studs are stripped? Or maybe the block itself is stripped and I need a helicoil or timesert?
That's hard to say for sure, sounds like the standoffs might be stripped or something similar. Try to find a way to take the valve cover completely off and check them out.

Take all of the nuts off of the outside of the valvecover first, then do the 3-4 on the inside of the cover. Odds are someone overtightened them at one point, and stripped where they are held in the head. If that is the case, you may have to helicoil the spots where they were stripped, or find a way to clean up the threads with a tap.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #74
F4tal
Getting Comfortable

F4tal is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome thread! Def going to help me stop my leaky H22
F4tal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #75
mikeschmeee
Ludacious

mikeschmeee has a spectacular aura aboutmikeschmeee has a spectacular aura about
This thread is indeed awesome but I have a question.... I recently changed my VTEC solenoid gasket, about 1000miles ago if not way less but it still leaks a bit when I put my finger under the bottom bolt to check. Not much of a leak but there definitely is a noticeble amount.

Now my question is did anyone ever encounter this issue and/or use HondaBond around the VTEC solenoid gasket? Perhaps use a different type of sealant? I hate leaks and I want this sealed up right... Yes I made sure the bolts are screwed in tight.

Help

Thanks
Mike

mikeschmeee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement