The Official Oil Leak Guide - Page 2 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #26
thrashmaniac
Getting Comfortable

thrashmaniac is on a distinguished road
AWESOME writeup i read bc my motor is consuming oil, maybe a quart every 200 miles in what seems to be out of nowhere. i recently just changed my plugs and wires. my dad noticed that my plug wires, the part directly above the plugs themselves that goes down into the valve cover, had oil on them. He said that this was definitely not normal. what do you guys think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thrashmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #27
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

xxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud of
I think your dad is right!

Could be the little spark plug shaft seals, requires removal of the valve cover to replace.

J.L.D.E.P.P.M.S.3.C.N.Y.C.N.C.M.A.D
xxfallacyxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #28
jamsandwich
Lude Dude

jamsandwich is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to jamsandwich
getting it done this afternoon/evening after work

Edit: When i took out the 3 bolts for the VTEC Solenoid, it was stuck in position on the side of the engine head. Had to give it a whack with a small rubber mallet before i could get it off. And it was DEF leaking. The old grommet was completely flat. Underneath the solenoid on the transmission was a whole mess of burned black oil.

Last edited by jamsandwich; 10-25-2010 at 08:51 AM.
jamsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 04:48 AM   #29
migoreng
Lude Dude

migoreng is on a distinguished road
All the common leaks have been fixed but I still have one left.

My sump plug was stripped and I really don't know for how long. I used to leak from the cam/balance seals etc and never realised the sump was also stripped. My oil pan used to be covered in a film of oil and it was coming from the timing belt cover...Now my oil pan is completely clean except for drops from the sump plug every night. That's probably the worst place for a leak and with oil pressure while driving I imagine quite a bit would leak out.

A while ago a mechanic helicoiled my sump but it still leaked. Any reason why? I was told some tape can be used on the thread to seal it properly or it might be the crush washer is not sealing properly...I'll have to wait for my next oil change in a month or so.

Any idea? I hope I won't need a new oil pan.
migoreng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #30
klager01
True Luder

klager01 is on a distinguished road
You left out the oil pan gasket. I went in thinking I was loosing a quart a week from the rear main and found this:

Between the oil pan gasket and the vtec solenoid, oil cooler, cam plug and distributor I SHOULD be good now... I hope.

3.31.2010: 2001 EBP SH, Sold to a buddy
9.20.2011: 2009 SWP WRX

Quote:
There will be BACON available by the way!
klager01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2010, 02:45 AM   #31
migoreng
Lude Dude

migoreng is on a distinguished road
^ mmm nasty..I'll try to check out that little rubber seal on the oil pan next time.

My oil pan is basically clean except at the sump plug. It's obvious oil is seeping out from there and I get drops on the floor everynight.
:S

Anyway our pans don't use gaskets. Isn't it sealed by Hondabond or something?
migoreng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2010, 05:11 AM   #32
klager01
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by migoreng View Post
^ mmm nasty..I'll try to check out that little rubber seal on the oil pan next time.

My oil pan is basically clean except at the sump plug. It's obvious oil is seeping out from there and I get drops on the floor everynight.
:S

Anyway our pans don't use gaskets. Isn't it sealed by Hondabond or something?
It is mostly ultra flange but right on the edge (at the end where all the oils coming from) is a little curved 3 inch gasket that sits underneath the rear main. I'll edit this with a part number later.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #33
GrnLude99
Lude Addict

GrnLude99 will become famous soon enough
repped for a good write-up

but just to make sure before i get under there, I have a major leak and it looks as its coming down to the oil pan. Its most likely my front main seal right?

99' Ficus Green Pearl Base

-AEM V2 -Hytech Rep-Password JDM Test pipe -Greddy Evo 2 -F&F Type 1's- ITR Wheels- ESP Motor Mounts-

Florida Ludes Join Here-->

GrnLude99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #34
MommysLittleMonster
Opinionated Bastard

MommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MommysLittleMonster

Prelude of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnLude99 View Post

but just to make sure before i get under there, I have a major leak and it looks as its coming down to the oil pan. Its most likely my front main seal right?
It's hard to say for certain. Your best bet is to take the timing covers off and take a peek- I know the cam seals and balance shaft seals like to throw a LOT of oil around too.

MommysLittleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #35
klager01
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnLude99 View Post

More likely oil pan gasket or rear main...see above.
It depends though... which side of the oil pan??

Quote:
Old 10-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #36
GrnLude99
Lude Addict

GrnLude99 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by klager01 View Post
More likely oil pan gasket or rear main...see above.
It depends though... which side of the oil pan??
its like all over its hard to tell.. but i gotta get a good look at it after i wash it down with some degreaser or something

99' Ficus Green Pearl Base

-AEM V2 -Hytech Rep-Password JDM Test pipe -Greddy Evo 2 -F&F Type 1's- ITR Wheels- ESP Motor Mounts-

Florida Ludes Join Here-->

GrnLude99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2010, 06:28 AM   #37
klager01
True Luder

Most likely oil pan gasket or rear main then. If its coming from the timing side you better hurry up and get in there and have a look, oil on your timing belt will cause it to fail prematurely.

Quote:
Old 11-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #38
euddys
True Luder

euddys is on a distinguished road
ok this is my issue, i looked under the car and i noticed oil between the headers and the oil filter all the way across the motor, i do have white smoke coming out of my muffler, i also have skirts of oil on the rear frame by the firewall, i this a the symptom of a blown head gasket?

Last edited by euddys; 11-06-2010 at 06:00 PM.
euddys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #39
MommysLittleMonster
Opinionated Bastard

MommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MommysLittleMonster

Prelude of the Month

Hard to say. Take some pictures of what you see, it's hard to understand what you mean. Oil on the back of your block below the oil filter could mean a lot of things.

Do a compression check and see what the numbers say. If you have two that are unusually low, you may have a blown head gasket. Another easy way to tell is to look at your oil or coolant- if your oil comes out a cream color or milky, you have coolant mixing with your oil, usually meaning a blown head gasket.

MommysLittleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #40
Coop760
True Luder

Coop760 is on a distinguished road
I have oil leaking while the car is running? any ideas on what it might be??

Right underneath the oil filter....

BB698: Daily Driver

97Hatch:Totaled hit water pipe.
Coop760 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #41
biglegs
Lude Addict

biglegs will become famous soon enoughbiglegs will become famous soon enough
oil cooler o ring.

biglegs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #42
mrfuzzynuggets
True Luder

mrfuzzynuggets has a spectacular aura aboutmrfuzzynuggets has a spectacular aura about
The Official Oil Leak Guide

^ now thats a fun one!
mrfuzzynuggets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #43
biglegs
Lude Addict

took me all of 15 minutes, not hard at all. just kinda weird angle.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #44
deludedbbsik
Asian Assassin

deludedbbsik has a spectacular aura aboutdeludedbbsik has a spectacular aura aboutdeludedbbsik has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to deludedbbsik

Perfect. Now this is why I love you. I'll get you a cookie, and rep. haha
deludedbbsik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #45
Coop760
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglegs View Post
oil cooler o ring.
Thanks I guess it could be that... It just started leaking 3 days ago, i change the oil about a month ago. If you are correct I'll give u some rep.

There any pivs on here on what I might be looking at??

Old 11-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #46
biglegs
Lude Addict

yep and a how to...
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=324248

Old 11-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #47
Coop760
True Luder

Quote:
Could not get it, skunk2 manifold takes alot of space. Im going to have to rethink it.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #48
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

xxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop760 View Post
There any pics on here on what I might be looking at??
I wouldn't have told you to look at this thread if there weren't!

Old 11-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #49
klager01
True Luder

Quote:
I think you need to add to the DIY how you did it in 15 min on an SH. It took me 15 minutes too... after I took out the ATTS.
Fal- I know I said I'd add to that thread...I have pictures coming soon.

Quote:
Old 11-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #50
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

^ Win and thank you! ^

Sponsored Links
Advertisement