OFFICIAL: Retrofit Discussion, Question, and Info Thread - Page 2 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #26
94_lude_vtec
True Luder

94_lude_vtec has a spectacular aura about94_lude_vtec has a spectacular aura about
Just out of curiosity, how would one mount an RX330 projector? I'm lookin at mine and there is only one hole in one corner to put a screw through. There has to be some other way right? lol excuse the no0b ?

As you can see here:

N.J.P.O.C.

Last edited by 94_lude_vtec; 07-21-2010 at 02:25 PM.
94_lude_vtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #27
Shimee
Abscissa & Ordinate

Shimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94_lude_vtec View Post
Just out of curiosity, how would one mount an RX330 projector? I'm lookin at mine and there is only one hole in one corner to put a screw through. There has to be some other way right? lol excuse the no0b ?

When I used these in a retrofit I drilled out the place where the two halves of the projector screw together. Then I put a long bolt through it and bolted the two halves together with a nut. The bolt was still long enough to also bolt it to the reflector bowl.

Another way is to drill near the spots where the two halves are screwed together and make your own mounting holes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Click to see my >>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

> replica foglights, footwell lights, temperature cable fix, EDM rear fogs, Morimoto projectors, replica fogs, and more!
Shimee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #28
94_lude_vtec
True Luder

94_lude_vtec has a spectacular aura about94_lude_vtec has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimee View Post
When I used these in a retrofit I drilled out the place where the two halves of the projector screw together. Then I put a long bolt through it and bolted the two halves together with a nut. The bolt was still long enough to also bolt it to the reflector bowl.

Another way is to drill near the spots where the two halves are screwed together and make your own mounting holes.
Thanks! Didn't think of that. +rep!!

N.J.P.O.C.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #29
Kyleb1115
NOMnomNOM

Kyleb1115 will become famous soon enoughKyleb1115 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Kyleb1115 Send a message via MSN to Kyleb1115 Send a message via Yahoo to Kyleb1115 Send a message via Skype™ to Kyleb1115

Prelude of the Month

yeah evan, i already figured that out! =] but i did not think of using a long bolt and using it to hold the housing together AND the projector to the housing..hmm

1 of 2 JRSC H22A 4th gens
276WHP 238TQ on Dynapak @ Evans Tuning

<-Or PM me for more info and a discount.

Kyleb1115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #30
afesposi
Lude Boss

afesposi will become famous soon enough
Thank you so much for the response JLude, that really helps a lot man!

2001 SSM Honda Prelude
Check out my Progression thread!

"Like" my Company's LEDs page on FACEBOOK!!!

afesposi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #31
catacon
Ludimus Catacus

catacon is a jewel in the roughcatacon is a jewel in the roughcatacon is a jewel in the roughcatacon is a jewel in the rough

Here's a question: Most people mount their ballasts in the engine bay to keep them dry. What about when you wash the engine? Do they need to be covered up/removed? I guess I am asking specifically about the Morimoto ballasts since that is what I will be be using.

Thanks!
catacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #32
prelude1897
RHD Pimpin

prelude1897 is a jewel in the roughprelude1897 is a jewel in the roughprelude1897 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to prelude1897
just move them out of the way so they don't get wet, or put them in a plastic bag before washing the car....

98 Prelude-Parts Car-SOLD
97 Prelude-RHD project#2
99 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
01 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
94 Prelude-VTEC status-Traded
98 Prelude-traded for 94 prelude
97 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD

Retrofit Service PM me

prelude1897 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #33
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

JLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to JLude

what Brian said. The good thing about the Morimoto ballasts is they are water resistant, meaning if they get sprayed, no big deal! they are fully potted circuitry and water resistant connections. I would just cover them with plastic bags to be safe when washing the engine bay down.

Former 5th, 4th and 3rd gen Prelude owner. Current: 2004 Toyota Tundra V8 DC 4x4, '00 Civic LX beater, '06 Yamaha FZ6S, '07 Victory Kingpin - Still a Prelude enthusiast!

JLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #34
catacon
Ludimus Catacus

catacon is a jewel in the roughcatacon is a jewel in the roughcatacon is a jewel in the roughcatacon is a jewel in the rough

Ok, so I am having a hard time finding a good spot to put the ballasts. Obviously they will be in the engine bay, but I can't find a spot with enough room and good mounting bolts/holes for bolts. The supplied mounting bracket on the Morimotos is kind of worthless. Any ideas?

EDIT: Brian, I know yours are by the PS reservoir and by the intake. But how? I can't make room.

Last edited by catacon; 07-23-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #35
Shimee
Abscissa & Ordinate

Shimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud of

3M double sided molding tape. Rinse and repeat for the other side. You can also see my mounting method for my low beams on the radiator support. (The big ballasts are for my high beams.)

Click to see my >>

> replica foglights, footwell lights, temperature cable fix, EDM rear fogs, Morimoto projectors, replica fogs, and more!
Old 07-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #36
Kyleb1115
NOMnomNOM

Kyleb1115 will become famous soon enoughKyleb1115 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Kyleb1115 Send a message via MSN to Kyleb1115 Send a message via Yahoo to Kyleb1115 Send a message via Skype™ to Kyleb1115

Prelude of the Month

how do the HIDs do as high beams? do you like them? once they warm up they should be good, but dont they take some time? opinions please! lmao..

and evan, if you see this, (picture at the top of this page) what are those pieces on the left? i dont have them with my projectors..??!?!?

Old 07-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #37
94_lude_vtec
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleb1115 View Post
how do the HIDs do as high beams? do you like them? once they warm up they should be good, but dont they take some time? opinions please! lmao..

and evan, if you see this, (picture at the top of this page) what are those pieces on the left? i dont have them with my projectors..??!?!?
I dunno, I don't have them either. I grabbed that pic of the interwebz lol

N.J.P.O.C.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #38
Shimee
Abscissa & Ordinate

Quote:

Probably custom mounting brackets for a different car.

The only reason I have HID high beams is my car came with an HID kit, so essentially I got a third kit for free. (the second is in my fogs.) In my honest opinion I would say it's a waste of money getting another kit for your high beams. You'd be better off getting some 100watt H1 bulbs which will be just as bright. The only upside is they draw less power but put out the same light as a 100watt bulb. That and I can get bulbs any color of the rainbow, unlike halogen.

Click to see my >>

Old 07-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #39
Kyleb1115
NOMnomNOM

Prelude of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94_lude_vtec View Post
I dunno, I don't have them either. I grabbed that pic of the interwebz lol

bah okay! haha i was thinking to myself "am i missing something?" haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimee View Post
Probably custom mounting brackets for a different car.

The only reason I have HID high beams is my car came with an HID kit, so essentially I got a third kit for free. (the second is in my fogs.) In my honest opinion I would say it's a waste of money getting another kit for your high beams. You'd be better off getting some 100watt H1 bulbs which will be just as bright. The only upside is they draw less power but put out the same light as a 100watt bulb. That and I can get bulbs any color of the rainbow, unlike halogen.
i was thinking of getting some 80 watt highbeam bulbs, but then i think ill have to upgrade the wiring..=/ i do ALOT of nighttime driving, so having good high beams is a VERY good idea. considering i can get a set of ballasts, bulbs, harness, and a lifetime warranty for like 50 bucks, i wonder if it might be worth it or not... was going to get yellow but that probably wont give me the most output (HID yes, halogen no) im trying to find some videos to give it a comparison.

i should add that i live in the middle of nowhere and when its very late, i can drive for 10 minutes without seeing another car..haja

Old 07-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #40
94_lude_vtec
True Luder

Quote:
bah okay! haha i was thinking to myself "am i missing something?" haha

i was thinking of getting some 80 watt highbeam bulbs, but then i think ill have to upgrade the wiring..=/ i do ALOT of nighttime driving, so having good high beams is a VERY good idea. considering i can get a set of ballasts, bulbs, harness, and a lifetime warranty for like 50 bucks, i wonder if it might be worth it or not... was going to get yellow but that probably wont give me the most output (HID yes, halogen no) im trying to find some videos to give it a comparison.

i should add that i live in the middle of nowhere and when its very late, i can drive for 10 minutes without seeing another car..haja
I have Nokya yellow high's in my current setup (70 watts) and it helps, but it is no where near as bright/luminous as white was in my usdm lights. That could have something to do with switching to black housing headlights. I hardly ever use them so it doesn't really bother me much.

N.J.P.O.C.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:02 AM   #41
catacon
Ludimus Catacus

How long have you been using that 3M tape, Shimee? How does it hold up; it seems sketchy to me? Is it the stuff with the red backing?

I got one mounted where the intake resonator used to be and that worked well, though I did have to use a couple zip ties. :-/ I rerouted the hood release cable and got another ballast by the PS reservoir, but I'm not sure I am completely happy with that.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:35 AM   #42
Shimee
Abscissa & Ordinate

Yup, the 3M tape with red backing. Those ballasts have been sitting snug there for 3 months now. I also went with the tape method for my fog ballasts. When I was mounting those I decided I was too lazy for zipties and didn't want to destroy my hands again fumbling behind the bumper, so i stuck tape onto the ballasts and stuck them to the sides of the bumper support's arm, under the headlights.

That stuff doesn't let go. My friend did the same thing on his audi. Stuck tape to ballasts and mounted them upside down and they have never fallen off.

Click to see my >>

Old 07-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #43
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

JLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really nice

3M double sided tape will hold them in place for the life of the car! Highly recommended.

Former 5th, 4th and 3rd gen Prelude owner. Current: 2004 Toyota Tundra V8 DC 4x4, '00 Civic LX beater, '06 Yamaha FZ6S, '07 Victory Kingpin - Still a Prelude enthusiast!

Old 07-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #44
catacon
Ludimus Catacus

Aight, I'm sold on the 3M molding tape. That stuff rocks.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:37 AM   #45
aznjap808
True Luder

aznjap808 will become famous soon enough
Couple Q's regarding the morimoto projectors with gatling shrouds.

1. Does anyone else's lights wobble around? it doesn't wobble alot but you can see the cutoff line vibrating around when you hit a bump or something.

2. What are the metal peices for? I used the rubber washers and thread locking nut, but what are the other disk like things for?
Thanks!
aznjap808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #46
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznjap808 View Post
Couple Q's regarding the morimoto projectors with gatling shrouds.

1. Does anyone else's lights wobble around? it doesn't wobble alot but you can see the cutoff line vibrating around when you hit a bump or something.

2. What are the metal peices for? I used the rubber washers and thread locking nut, but what are the other disk like things for?
Thanks!

1. DEPO lights will have noticeably more "wobble" when hitting bumbs, this is because their ball sockets are not as tight as OEM lights and the projector weight can cause them to vibrate a little when hitting bumps in the road. As long as the vibrating doesn't change your aim, don't worry about it. It also may be because you're not used to sharp cut off lines from your headlights and you are seeing the "flicker" of the cutoff bouncing as your suspension bounces.

2. The other disks are to use for those who just made a small cutout in an H1 or H7 headlight and stuck the threaded mounting stud on the projector threw and needed a large washer before tightening down the lock nut. In other words if you mounted your Morimotos using bolts you don't need those parts.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #47
catacon
Ludimus Catacus

^Those are actually for H4 or H7 headlights. They are adapter plates to make them fit. Preludes don't need them even if you use the locking nut (assuming you didn't cut the hole way too big.)
Old 07-26-2010, 12:35 AM   #48
Sup3r D
Lude Dude

Sup3r D is on a distinguished road
Hey Brian, when you retro other cars, do you just go off of the base of reflector? Or do you rig up something to hold the headlights in place to replicate them being on the car?

Goodbye WDP Prelude... Hello.. Milano Red Prelude!!

Detailing a Milano Red Prelude.. VIEW HERE!!

Sup3r D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 03:16 AM   #49
prelude1897
RHD Pimpin

prelude1897 is a jewel in the roughprelude1897 is a jewel in the roughprelude1897 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to prelude1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by sup3rd View Post
Question for Brian, when you retro other cars, do you just go off of the base of reflector? Or do you rig up something to hold the headlights in place to replicate them being on the car?
Some cars you can go based off the reflector bowl, but other cars, you'll need to make a platform, cause when the housings might be sitting flat, the reflector bowls are a little angled such as civics and newer accords

98 Prelude-Parts Car-SOLD
97 Prelude-RHD project#2
01 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
94 Prelude-VTEC status-Traded
98 Prelude-traded for 94 prelude

Retrofit Service PM me

prelude1897 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #50
Honda-R
Lude Boss

Honda-R will become famous soon enough
So is it best to mount the projectors with like polyurethane sealant or use bolts...because i just watched 2 youtube vids where the guys uses sealent and no bolts.
BB Squad #9 v.2

Honda-R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement