OFFICIAL: Retrofit Discussion, Question, and Info Thread - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:50 AM   #1
catacon
Ludimus Catacus

catacon is a jewel in the roughcatacon is a jewel in the roughcatacon is a jewel in the roughcatacon is a jewel in the rough

OFFICIAL: Retrofit Discussion, Question, and Info Thread

I think we can all agree we need this. The Retrofit Picture thread has become extremely cluttered with people asking questions and just chit chatting (I'm not blaming anyone in particular, lots of people contributed, myself included.) So I think we should leave that thread for pictures only, just like the 5th Gen Picture thread, and use this thread for getting help with and discussing retrofits.

So feel free to use this thread to ask any questions about how to wire up ballasts, Bi-Xenons, what shrouds to use, how to cut certain shrouds, etc. Hopefully this will clean things up a bit.

Last edited by catacon; 07-23-2010 at 01:49 PM.
catacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Darren's 01 SH
I am Prelude

Darren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to all
Yes, we definitely need this. Its long over due. Good thinking catacon.

I also have to say that the retrofit source is one of the best companies I've even dealt with, very professional. Brian (prelude1897) would say the same.

My build thread -project resurrection

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Darren's 01 SH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
Snyda
ROKSTARR

Snyda will become famous soon enough

this will become handy soon. lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1989 Prelude Si - Sold
♠1991 Prelude Si alb -Sold♠
1997 Prelude base - Sold

Snyda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
catacon
Ludimus Catacus

catacon is a jewel in the roughcatacon is a jewel in the roughcatacon is a jewel in the roughcatacon is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, I hope it will help people out.

So first question: Should the cutoffs from each projector line up so that there is only one "step" going from left to right? And if so, is this adjustment made using the stock adjusting knobs on the headlight housings?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
afesposi
Lude Boss

afesposi will become famous soon enough
I have 2 questions guys, I have a tsx setup in new depos with 6k HIDs and e46 shrouds
1) should my left and right cutoffs be absolutely flat or is it possible that one isnt perfectly flat across (my passenger side), it seems to be a little blurry, the left is perfect, but the right isnt as great.
2) should I adjust the height of the cutoff so that the level inside the depos is at 0 or just adjust it to the height I think it should be? I ask because it seems if i do raise them to where the bubble is at zero they will be pretty high up and ill get flashed by drivers allllll the time lol
Thanks in advance you guys

2001 SSM Honda Prelude
Check out my Progression thread!

"Like" my Company's LEDs page on FACEBOOK!!!

afesposi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Shimee
Abscissa & Ordinate

Shimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud ofShimee has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by catacon View Post
So first question: Should the cutoffs from each projector line up so that there is only one "step" going from left to right? And if so, is this adjustment made using the stock adjusting knobs on the headlight housings?
The cutoffs should be at one step when you're about 30ish feet from a wall and are sitting on level ground.

Ideally the cutoff should be at about the same place where the stock cutoff is from the reflector bowl. If you're not using Morimoto mini's then you also want to set the center of the beam (where the step is) where the center of the reflector bowl beam is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afesposi View Post
I have 2 questions guys, I have a tsx setup in new depos with 6k HIDs and e46 shrouds
1) should my left and right cutoffs be absolutely flat or is it possible that one isnt perfectly flat across (my passenger side), it seems to be a little blurry, the left is perfect, but the right isnt as great.
2) should I adjust the height of the cutoff so that the level inside the depos is at 0 or just adjust it to the height I think it should be? I ask because it seems if i do raise them to where the bubble is at zero they will be pretty high up and ill get flashed by drivers allllll the time lol
Thanks in advance you guys
1) Well all projector cutoffs are not perfectly flat, they have a little step. If you mean that the general shape of the cutoff isnt perfectly flat then that is also understandable. Most projectors have the beam curve up slightly towards the edges to light up the sides of the road.

2) I adjust my lights so that when I'm four car-lengths away the cutoff is at the base of the window of the car in front of me.

Click to see my >>

> replica foglights, footwell lights, temperature cable fix, EDM rear fogs, Morimoto projectors, replica fogs, and more!
Shimee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
afesposi
Lude Boss

afesposi will become famous soon enough
^Thanks so much Shimee, your advice is always greatly appreciated!

2001 SSM Honda Prelude
Check out my Progression thread!

"Like" my Company's LEDs page on FACEBOOK!!!

afesposi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
catacon
Ludimus Catacus

I was hoping to confirm some info about hooking up Bi-Xenons with a relay harness.

1) The harness has a big black and big red wire with round connectors on them. These go to constant 12V, correct?
2) There is a small black and small red wire. These are for the relay which connect to the stock headlight connector, correct?
3) It is often recommended that spade connectors are attached and then plugged into the stock low beam connector. Where is a good spot to mount this connection? It's sketchy to let it just dangle.
4) To hook up the Bi-Xenon solenoid, are spade connectors attached and then plugged into the stock high-beam connector?

Thanks!

1998 Pearl White Prelude Base Automatic 63K miles - 5spd Swapped (Carbon synchros, LSD, Accord 5th Gear)

Old 07-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
5spd5gen
Brewski Turbo King

5spd5gen is a jewel in the rough5spd5gen is a jewel in the rough5spd5gen is a jewel in the rough5spd5gen is a jewel in the rough

nice thread, rep'd
5spd5gen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

JLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to JLude

See my comments in RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by afesposi View Post
1) should my left and right cutoffs be absolutely flat or is it possible that one isnt perfectly flat across (my passenger side), it seems to be a little blurry, the left is perfect, but the right isnt as great. TSX projectors do not have perfectly flat cutoffs, every one I've seen has a nice flat cutoff on the left side but a blurry or wavy cutoff on the right side, this has been called the "TSX Mushroom"
The little levelers are absolutely worthless once you retrofit a projector inside them because your projector is not going to sit level with the leveler anyway, depends on how you mount it in there and level it up. Aim them so the beam falls 1-2 inches per 30 feet and doesn't shine higher than oncoming cars bumpers and you'll be fine.

Former 5th, 4th and 3rd gen Prelude owner. Current: 2004 Toyota Tundra V8 DC 4x4, '00 Civic LX beater, '06 Yamaha FZ6S, '07 Victory Kingpin - Still a Prelude enthusiast!

JLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

JLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really nice

See my responses in RED

Quote:
I was hoping to confirm some info about hooking up Bi-Xenons with a relay harness.

1) The harness has a big black and big red wire with round connectors on them. These go to constant 12V, correct? RED goes to the battery or starter 12V constant power supply terminal, BLACK goes to battery ground!

2) There is a small black and small red wire. These are for the relay which connect to the stock headlight connector, correct? Correct. If you look at the H1 low beam headlight connectors there are 2 wires going into them, black and black with red stripe. the black with red stripe side of the connector is where the harness red wire goes and black to black side.

3) It is often recommended that spade connectors are attached and then plugged into the stock low beam connector. Where is a good spot to mount this connection? It's sketchy to let it just dangle. After you plug the spades in wrap the entire connector and wires with electrical tape so it's moisture proof and so the wires don't pull out. Just zip tie it anywhere so it's secure.

4) To hook up the Bi-Xenon solenoid, are spade connectors attached and then plugged into the stock high-beam connector? You got it! Same way you do the low beam connection to the low beam connector.

Thanks!

Former 5th, 4th and 3rd gen Prelude owner. Current: 2004 Toyota Tundra V8 DC 4x4, '00 Civic LX beater, '06 Yamaha FZ6S, '07 Victory Kingpin - Still a Prelude enthusiast!

Old 07-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
Darren's 01 SH
I am Prelude

Darren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to all
I think this thread needs stickied by the official retro picture thread. Hopefully members will see this thread before posting questions in the retro picture thread.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #13
catacon
Ludimus Catacus

Haha win! Thanks, Darren!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #14
Honda-R
Lude Boss

Honda-R will become famous soon enough
So how do i wire up this harness thingy that came with my HID kit? Its got a fuse and a relay on it
BB Squad #9 v.2

Honda-R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #15
catacon
Ludimus Catacus

Look at JLude's answers to my questions. Post #11.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #16
Honda-R
Lude Boss

Ohh I see. So I only have to connect to one of the headlights?
BB Squad #9 v.2

Old 07-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #17
prelude1897
RHD Pimpin

prelude1897 is a jewel in the roughprelude1897 is a jewel in the roughprelude1897 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to prelude1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda-R View Post
Ohh I see. So I only have to connect to one of the headlights?
yes, with a PnP harness, you just connect into 1 stock headlight harness and it'll power up both ballast

98 Prelude-Parts Car-SOLD
97 Prelude-RHD project#2
99 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
01 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
94 Prelude-VTEC status-Traded
98 Prelude-traded for 94 prelude
97 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD

Retrofit Service PM me

prelude1897 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #18
Darren's 01 SH
I am Prelude

Quote:
Haha win! Thanks, Darren!
lol, no problem. Its really a no brainer that this topic/thread should be stickied. Hopefully people will see this thread and post in it instead of the retro pic thread.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #19
catacon
Ludimus Catacus

That's what I was hoping would happen. Though there might be a lot of good info in that thread, it might be good to clean out some of the questions/chit chat, so that thread isn't as cluttered.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #20
Honda-R
Lude Boss

So are the shrouds suppose to clip on?
BB Squad #9 v.2

Old 07-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #21
prelude1897
RHD Pimpin

prelude1897 is a jewel in the roughprelude1897 is a jewel in the roughprelude1897 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda-R View Post
So are the shrouds suppose to clip on?
I use high temp silicone to put them on

97 Prelude-RHD project#2

Retrofit Service PM me

Old 07-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #22
Honda-R
Lude Boss

What part of the shroud do you put the silicone on?
BB Squad #9 v.2

Old 07-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #23
prelude1897
RHD Pimpin

I put it on top of the projectors and then slide them on

97 Prelude-RHD project#2

Retrofit Service PM me

Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #24
Honda-R
Lude Boss

Ok cool makes sense
BB Squad #9 v.2

Old 07-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #25
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

Yea you just need a couple little dabs of high temp RTV silicone in 2 or 3 spots around the projector that will contact the bezel...it works really well...I know because I had to take a bezel off that I had glued on recently and it was tough to pull it off

Sponsored Links
Advertisement