Official J Series Swap Information/discussion thread - Page 3 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #51
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

xxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud of
Initially, a sizable amount depending on which motor you go with. Ideally most of the mounts would have to be custom fabricated. Other things like the wiring harness and sensors will add to it. It's going to be one of those things that if it becomes popular, over time it will become cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
J.L.D.E.P.P.M.S.3.C.N.Y.C.N.C.M.A.D
xxfallacyxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #52
BlkLUDE5G
I am Prelude

BlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the roughBlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the roughBlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the rough
bahh fuck the sensors lol - use bare necessities yo!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BlkLUDE5G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #53
nordicBBsex
Sky's out, thighs out

nordicBBsex is a splendid one to beholdnordicBBsex is a splendid one to beholdnordicBBsex is a splendid one to beholdnordicBBsex is a splendid one to beholdnordicBBsex is a splendid one to beholdnordicBBsex is a splendid one to beholdnordicBBsex is a splendid one to behold
^ honestly

- SOLD
2016 Honda CBR600rr -

2016 Ford Fiesta SE -

nordicBBsex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #54
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

xxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkLUDE5G View Post
bahh fuck the sensors lol - use bare necessities yo!!
Well if you find a parts car you can get EVERYTHING right there. Plus the easiest way to get the engine running after the swap would be an installation that's as close to stock as possible, in theory. I don't browse Acura forums so I don't really know what those guys might do to their engines in terms of OBD type modification. IMO, the information in this thread should ideally be just about getting the engine swapped in, not telling people how to install a modded version of the engine YET.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #55
psud3ity
Administrator

psud3ity is a name known to allpsud3ity is a name known to allpsud3ity is a name known to allpsud3ity is a name known to allpsud3ity is a name known to allpsud3ity is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfallacyxx View Post
Well if you find a parts car you can get EVERYTHING right there. Plus the easiest way to get the engine running after the swap would be an installation that's as close to stock as possible, in theory. I don't browse Acura forums so I don't really know what those guys might do to their engines in terms of OBD type modification. IMO, the information in this thread should ideally be just about getting the engine swapped in, not telling people how to install a modded version of the engine YET.
I'm pretty sure a totaled out 1998 V6 Accord wouldn't be too hard to come by.

391HP @ 12psi - Soon to be 650HP
psud3ity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #56
Antonious
Lude Addict

Antonious is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psud3ity View Post
I'm pretty sure a totaled out 1998 V6 Accord wouldn't be too hard to come by.

the '98 accord v6 is weak and H22's make more power.

TL-S J35 V6 FTW

Greddy Evo 2
AEM V2 intake

ATTS is whack
Antonious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #57
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonious View Post
TL-S J35 V6 FTW
Finally someone else preaching the same idea as me! The J35A8 is the only 6 I'd be interested in swapping in. It's the best J series, and as far as I'm concerned it's better than the NSX engines due to it's higher torque output. The J35A8 is also supposed to have a redline appr. 500 rpms higher than the C32B (8,400/8,500 vs 8,000)

Old 06-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #58
firetyrant
Ludacious

firetyrant has a spectacular aura aboutfiretyrant has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

TL-S J35 V6 FTW

actually it makes just about the same horse power but it has more torque, and the potential for tuning this engine can create some crazy power.

98 Accord J30A1: 200 hp (150 kW) @ 5500 RPM and 195 lbft (264 Nm) of torque @ 4700 RPM

H22A4: 200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp) @ 7,000 rpm & 156 ftlbf (212 Nm) @ 5,250 rpm

H22A: It produces 220 PS (162 kW; 217 hp) @ 7,200 rpm & 163 ftlbf (221 Nm) @ 6,500 rpm
Old 06-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #59
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetyrant View Post
actually it makes just about the same horse power but it has more torque, and the potential for tuning this engine can create some crazy power.

98 Accord J30A1: 200 hp (150 kW) @ 5500 RPM and 195 lbft (264 Nm) of torque @ 4700 RPM

H22A: It produces 220 PS (162 kW; 217 hp) @ 7,200 rpm & 163 ftlbf (221 Nm) @ 6,500 rpm
Power to weight ratio. The J30 is going to way much more than an H22. If you're going to put a heavier engine in with similar power characteristics and more weight... well.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #60
BlkLUDE5G
I am Prelude

BlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the roughBlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the roughBlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the rough
i really wish it could rev as high, i've fallen in love with such long gears

BlkLUDE5G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #61
Antonious
Lude Addict

Antonious is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfallacyxx View Post
Finally someone else preaching the same idea as me! The J35A8 is the only 6 I'd be interested in swapping in. It's the best J series, and as far as I'm concerned it's better than the NSX engines due to it's higher torque output. The J35A8 is also supposed to have a redline appr. 500 rpms higher than the C32B (8,400/8,500 vs 8,000)

I very highly doubt that the j35 revs that high.

Greddy Evo 2
AEM V2 intake

ATTS is whack
Antonious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #62
pnoylude01
Lude Dude

pnoylude01 is on a distinguished road
i seen them in civics but never on ludes...nice
pnoylude01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2010, 11:48 PM   #63
gumus89
True Luder

gumus89 is on a distinguished road
What I want to know is how much the Accord engine weighs compared to the NSX engine.
Even though it has more torque, it could weigh significantly more.
Not to mention that it may not have a decent power curve. Peak numbers are nothing.
gumus89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #64
psud3ity
Administrator

psud3ity is a name known to allpsud3ity is a name known to allpsud3ity is a name known to allpsud3ity is a name known to allpsud3ity is a name known to allpsud3ity is a name known to all
Quote:

TL-S J35 V6 FTW
Dude I don't care about power all that much. The reason I'd swap to a V6 is for a metric assload more torque. I can always strap a turbo to the thing if I really don't think its enough.

And what does A J35 cost? Idk about you, but I'm practically tripping over 98 accords. That said... this is pretty much a pipe dream for me. I can't really attempt an untested motor swap in my daily driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetyrant View Post

39 more ft-lbs at 5500 RPMs? Juicy.

391HP @ 12psi - Soon to be 650HP

Last edited by psud3ity; 06-13-2010 at 09:53 PM.
psud3ity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #65
Darren's 01 SH
I am Prelude

Darren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to all
OK, someone made a new thread about this but it isn't needed, so I'm putting the link in here because it makes more sense.
This guy is in the process of the swap.
http://www.j32a.com/showthread.php?t=1003

My build thread -project resurrection

Darren's 01 SH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #66
Dirty Engineer
Lude Dude

Dirty Engineer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren's 01 SH View Post
OK, someone made a new thread about this but it isn't needed, so I'm putting the link in here because it makes more sense.
You could have merged my thread in or atleast given me recognition for posting the link.
Dirty Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #67
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

Thank you for trolling the intarwebs and posting the link to the thread which is hosted on a forum already linked to in this thread....

seriously. Thanks

Oh and thank god this guy went with the J35A8, as that was the ONLY J engine I was interested in swapping in XD

Old 07-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #68
Andrew025
I am Prelude
Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Target Champion

Andrew025 is just really niceAndrew025 is just really niceAndrew025 is just really niceAndrew025 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren's 01 SH View Post
Maybe this link should be on the first page and not the third.

Andrew025 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #69
Honda-R
Lude Boss

Honda-R will become famous soon enough
No i-vtec garbage. all you need is the j37 from the new accord v6 6-spd cars....they have good ole vtec, easier to tune too...you could probably adapt the aem ems over to it
BB Squad #9 v.2

Honda-R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2010, 02:23 AM   #70
Darren's 01 SH
I am Prelude

Darren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to allDarren's 01 SH is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Engineer View Post
You could have merged my thread in or atleast given me recognition for posting the link.
I did, I said someone.

So I should have merged a bunch of generic opinions on a j-swap? I took the important info and put it in the right thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
Maybe this link should be on the first page and not the third.
This is an ongoing informational thread, there is going to be more and more info it can't all be on the first page, plus the link that DIRTY ENGINEER posted originally <- ( recognition ) was started about 3 days ago, why would I put a 3 day old thread with 2-3 month old threads and posts.

Now, back on topic. Anyone have anything to offer J-Swap related?

My build thread -project resurrection

Darren's 01 SH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #71
preludestud11
Lude Dude

preludestud11 is on a distinguished road
Sorry to bump an old thread, but i have noticed alot of talk about cost. And the cost is totally going to depend on how much work you do yourself.

By the way this is my car, http://www.j32a.com/showthread.php?p=8808#post8808

If anyone is interested in doing this or has anyquestions for me email me at TLdream06@gmail.com and i will help you out.

I will break down the cost a little. I buy the parts when i find them at a good price.
I bought two motors, one with the intention of boosting it eventually.

j32a3 swap- $1800- (full engine, transmission, mounts, injectors, axels, brake calipers, brake rotors, shift linkage, shifter box, pretty much anything i wanted off it i took)

j35a8 engine - $950 (bought off ebay, engine has 2,800 ish miles on it. the car was in an accident, and caught fire somewhere. Most of the sensors had some kind of heat damage, and I was going to replace all the belts, gaskets, and seals.)

J35a8 6mt transmission - $1800 - (bought off ebay, 15,000k miles, clutch, flywheel, axels, coil packs, engine harness, shifter box, injectors, lots of sensors, I got most of the stuff i needed for the a8 motor from the same seller for a decent price.)

I traded a built motor and turbo setup for the car. After the trade I basically have around $1000 into the clean title shell.

explicit speed traction bar ~ $480
hasport motor mounts ~ $450 ( i would suggest using a different back mount, the one hasport provided from there K kit works, but there is much better options)
type s wheels and tires ~ $1050 (bought for my prelude, but i used them on 2 trackdays already driving my friends TL)
Random sensors, and covers for the a8 motor $75 (got all the sensors, and covers i was missing off the a8 motor from a local friend)

wings west rs lip kit - $200
tein basic coilovers $225
koni yellows - $125 (need rebuilt, i will probably have them shortend and rebuilt, and run a custom gc spring rate in teh front to help with the weight of the motor.)
c&r radiator (free came with one of my other project cars.)

Mig welder wire $10 (friend let me borrow the welder, just didnt have any wire in it)
cut off wheels for angle grinder ~$25
grinder wheel ~ $4
wire wheels ~ $4
big piece of metal ~ donation from local shop helping me with the project

pipe bender - $10
pipe cutter - $5

thats about the entire cost i have so far in the project. Im not sure what else i am going to have to buy to finish the AC and powersteering on it, I think i am just going to have to rebend the piping I already have, and cut and weld in a few places.

As far as making the engine run, i am going to be looking at ~$1000 for a DBW ecu setup and supporting parts to make it work. I was going to use the aem ems, but i can get the assistance i need from AEM, and im not going to drop $1500 on parts, that im not forsure going to be able to make work.

Hope you enjoy my build thread. I will try to check back here more regularly to answer any questions that arise.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #72
h22wut
Lude Boss

h22wut has a spectacular aura abouth22wut has a spectacular aura abouth22wut has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to h22wut
i was just going to ask, the aem ecu is the only aftermarket ecu available for the j series right? i know my friend has a j swapped del sol and basically had to make his own harness, and is using the stock ecu from the type-s

My car is officially fo SALE:

h22wut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #73
preludestud11
Lude Dude

preludestud11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by h22wut View Post
i was just going to ask, the aem ecu is the only aftermarket ecu available for the j series right? i know my friend has a j swapped del sol and basically had to make his own harness, and is using the stock ecu from the type-s
The aem system will work with the older than 04 motors. Since i am using a j35a8 it has a different crank sensor, that is not compatible with any ems. I would have to convert it to a different output signal and that would require a a little more work than i want to put in right now.

I have updated my post a little. I am anticipating start up in about a week and half.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #74
a1cnas
Lude Addict

a1cnas is on a distinguished road
the J will work in a 5th, because i seen it done on the 3rd gen forums, and the engine bay is bigger in the fifth, Ive owened accords, and the hood line between the v6 and the 4 cylinder is the same, the engine bay set up is pretty much identical, and swapping in an h22 in one is a direct fit, so y would it be harder to install a v6 in a 5th gen prelude, both the accord and the lude have shared a ton of simularities throughout their existance. The 3rd had to have massive customization, and if i remember right it was somebody on the edm circuit. BUt then again the h22 in my 3rd gen chassis was a pita to accomplish, but it was done, thanx to those who had done it before me, If the OP wants to do it, I say Hell Yeah, be a pioneer and help lead the way.

Check these out
step1

Step2

Step3

OR

a1cnas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 06:43 AM   #75
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludestud11 View Post
The aem system will work with the older than 04 motors. Since i am using a j35a8 it has a different crank sensor, that is not compatible with any ems. I would have to convert it to a different output signal and that would require a a little more work than i want to put in right now.

I have updated my post a little. I am anticipating start up in about a week and half.
I've been lurking TL-S forums, there's rumor of an EMS in the works for the J35A8. One thing I've been trying to research is what ECU to use if you plan on modding the engine. From what I've seen, those guys who turbo or S/C use piggyback systems with the stock ECU. Stock ECU governs speed at 130mph, although there's supposed to be a J-series Accord ECU which doesn't have that governor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement