Official J Series Swap Information/discussion thread - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
Nasty "Spoon" Lude
True Luder

Nasty "Spoon" Lude is on a distinguished road
Official J Series Swap Information/discussion thread

Every time a J series swap is brought up as a potential motor swap for our preludes everyone laughs and says the H22 is fine enough or don't bother or its to expensive etc.

So Im making this thread for those of us who are serious about actually attempting a J series swap or are interested (j32/j35.....j37lol whatever it may be)

There is a forum J32a.com but on that website almost everything is about civic /integra and frankly Im sick of civics and integras getting all the lime light.

Its about time someone really said screw it and just put a sick V6 prelude together because we all know we would have loved to see Honda make preludes V6 from the factory, and we all know we would love to see a V6 prelude just because it "sounds right".

So guys dont just post bullshit responses like "the H22 is better" "its too much money" "to much fabrication" to much blah blah blah"

Lets really try to get the ball rolling on a solid information thread about J swaps into our cars...
Here are the basic J series information threads from J32a.com

http://www.j32a.com/showthread.php?t=422

http://www.j32a.com/showthread.php?t=423

These basically show you which J swaps you would want to pick and which tranny you would want to mate it too (6 speed prelude sounds nice and you all know it)

So this is what I have been able to dig up so far.. (feel free to correct me if im wrong) 98 to 02 Honda Accords are similar to the 5th gen prelude, they come with F series motors that have very similar motor mounts. So if we can put a V6 in those accords it shouldnt be that much different than fitting one into our cars. I did read that these are the mounts to use if we are going to do it and the 03 CL type S tranny mount..

Im going to keep searching and try to add whatever I find out and hopefully I can try it out on my car.. If anyone else has information to add please do, but dont turn this thread into a joke. I know there has to be a lot of people out there interested in this swap and the best part is the J series swaps are getting cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"shit aint fast"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nasty "Spoon" Lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
MommysLittleMonster
Opinionated Bastard

MommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MommysLittleMonster

Prelude of the Month

J-swap in a BB Chassis? Sweet.

Until you go to turn

MommysLittleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Nasty "Spoon" Lude
True Luder

haha
well it cant be that bad if you get the right suspension set up

"shit aint fast"

Old 06-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

xxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud of
J35 out of a TL Type S. *salivate*

J.L.D.E.P.P.M.S.3.C.N.Y.C.N.C.M.A.D
xxfallacyxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
Nasty "Spoon" Lude
True Luder

I mean the weight is significantly larger than the H22 obviously its a 6 cylinder engine vs a 4 cylinder but thats just another factor that will have to be taken into account if your looking to build this kind of thing... so we need a solution to that
but still that shouldn't completely throw the idea out the window

"shit aint fast"
Old 06-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

xxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud of
A bit stiffer springs in the front should counter the weight transfer. Any suspension guru would be able to come up with a proper setup to maintain the handling ability.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Nasty "Spoon" Lude
True Luder

exactly..
im more worried about wire harnesses and computers and all that mess.. need someone to chime in on that all the vendors on J32a.com dont make harnesses for the prelude..yet

"shit aint fast"
Old 06-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
MommysLittleMonster
Opinionated Bastard

MommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MommysLittleMonster

Prelude of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfallacyxx View Post
J35 out of a TL Type S. *salivate*
And I jizzed in my pants.

MommysLittleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty "Spoon" Lude View Post
exactly..
im more worried about wire harnesses and computers and all that mess.. need someone to chime in on that all the vendors on J32a.com dont make harnesses for the prelude..yet
I'm sure a harness from the donor car could be easily modified to fit in our cars. The issue being you're going to have to take EVERY single one of the required sensors to keep things simple. This way you're not splicing wires and modifying connectors for the next 12 years.

I think the biggest issue will be the dimensions of the engine itself. Apparently the J32s fit in civics, but I don't know whether or not there's firewall cutting involved and what else not. Will this be an issue with out cars? Will the engine clear the hood? Will firewall mods be necessary? How much room is left afterward for modification(turbo?!). Will custom axles be needed?

Old 06-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
Pre1ude92
Lude Addict

Pre1ude92 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Pre1ude92 Send a message via Yahoo to Pre1ude92
prob. rywire.com would be your best solution for a harness on the bb chassis.

My build threads:
Memorial to my 1st Honda

92 S Restoration/Upgrade

H23Vtec Moneypit

Pre1ude92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #11
ffxbb6
Prelude Aficionado

ffxbb6 has a spectacular aura aboutffxbb6 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to ffxbb6

Prelude of the Month
i was actually planning on doing a J swap after i blow my motor up from the turbo.
my friend and i already dicussed in making custom motor mounts etc etc.
i think a J swap would be pretty sweet
alll that torque!!!!!
ffxbb6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
Pre1ude92
Lude Addict

Pre1ude92 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Pre1ude92 Send a message via Yahoo to Pre1ude92
heh.. i wouldnt mind a jswap. however, my budget does. lol

My build threads:
Memorial to my 1st Honda

92 S Restoration/Upgrade

H23Vtec Moneypit

Pre1ude92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
Nasty "Spoon" Lude
True Luder

for engine dimensions i think we have it better than the civics and integras
in a civic the motor fits pretty good it just sticks out of the hood and you almost always 9 times out of 10 would have to cut the hood to let it fit but Hasport supposedly made version two mounts that let the motor sit further down or something so you dont have to cut the hood...
however thats for civics
the V6 fits pretty snug in the accords and there's not modification needed there i believe as for turbo im not sure you might even have more space in the prelude than in the accord.. but ground clearance is definately not a problem..
and around the motor itself if the civics are fine then the prelude should be

"shit aint fast"
Old 06-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #14
Nasty "Spoon" Lude
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre1ude92 View Post
heh.. i wouldnt mind a jswap. however, my budget does. lol
i think it can be done for pretty cheap

check this out

http://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.p...mart&Itemid=26

well thats the motor itself then you have to find all the miscellaneous parts
but if your smart about it and source everything for a good deal it cant be that expensive

"shit aint fast"
Old 06-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #15
Nasty "Spoon" Lude
True Luder

http://forums.honda-tekh.com/zerothread?id=3652

This guys build thread was pretty helpful theres a lot of pictures and information
its going into a EG he had clearance mostly everywhere except the hood

personally i would not like to cut my hood up and have the motor sticking out partly because i dont want people to know i have the J series and just because it would look a lot cleaner

"shit aint fast"
Old 06-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #16
firetyrant
Ludacious

firetyrant has a spectacular aura aboutfiretyrant has a spectacular aura about
What I like out of this whole thing is the possibility for an AWD lude with the SH TL J series engine. Not trying to bring up an old subject that has been brought up over and over. I would love to put a 3.5 engine in a lude, maybe supercharge it and call it a day. Which candidate (lude) would a swap like this work better in. Cause don't the engines sit more forward in a 5th gen then say a 4th? I prolly just got flamed for even say that, but then again I don't claim to know everything.

Anyway's I would like to see someone willing to drop 3,500 dollars ( or 50,000 CDN, ha ha lame Canadian joke)
Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #17
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty "Spoon" Lude View Post
personally i would not like to cut my hood up and have the motor sticking out partly because i dont want people to know i have the J series and just because it would look a lot cleaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetyrant View Post
What I like out of this whole thing is the possibility for an AWD lude with the SH TL J series engine. Not trying to bring up an old subject that has been brought up over and over. I would love to put a 3.5 engine in a lude, maybe supercharge it and call it a day.
Imagine running a J35 supercharged and mock up a blower intake on the hood like the old muscle cars

/stupid idea.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #18
BlkLUDE5G
I am Prelude

BlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the roughBlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the roughBlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the rough
quick someone retro a kenne bell! lol i'd love a v6 in the lude

BlkLUDE5G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #19
boost2g
True Luder

boost2g is on a distinguished road
The RWD 5th gen project was completed before now
I want to see this v6 5th gen prelude project attempted and completed tastefully
with full documentation and cost of this project.

boost2g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #20
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkLUDE5G View Post
quick someone retro a kenne bell! lol i'd love a v6 in the lude
I would DIE OF HAPPINESS if I had a lude with the absolutely SICK blower whine of a certain kenne belle supercharged mustang cobra. I'll find the youtube video and post it later when I'm home.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #21
egjdmh22a
I am Prelude

egjdmh22a has a spectacular aura aboutegjdmh22a has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to egjdmh22a
someone needs to go all out and build a rwd 5th gen with a v6 c32 nsx-r engine, then you would have a rwd, v6, dohc vtec bb6

94 Civic dx hatchback, Jdm H22A
Euro-R T2W4 Transmission with LSD
Hytech header, test pipe,3 inch exhaust
Zex dry 75 shot, P28 ECU with Neptune
197 WHP N/A 264 WHP bottle

street tires
egjdmh22a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #22
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by egjdmh22a View Post
someone needs to go all out and build a rwd 5th gen with a v6 c32 nsx-r engine, then you would have a rwd, v6, dohc vtec bb6
The J35A8 would be a better choice IMO. It only produces 4hp less than the C32A, but almost 40lbft of torque more, as well as mating to a 6 speed transmission, and having i-vtec.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #23
Beagles
Lude Cray

Beagles is a jewel in the roughBeagles is a jewel in the roughBeagles is a jewel in the roughBeagles is a jewel in the rough
I saw this thread and thought "ZOMG 2JZGTE AND 1JZGTE SWAPS!!!!!" Sadly i thought wrong >_> However, it would still be tasty to see a lude with our brethren hearts :P
Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #24
aznxviet
Lude Addict

aznxviet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfallacyxx View Post
I would DIE OF HAPPINESS if I had a lude with the absolutely SICK blower whine of a certain kenne belle supercharged mustang cobra. I'll find the youtube video and post it later when I'm home.

done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lQX3...next=1&index=1
aznxviet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #25
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

Yes! It sounds like a fucking banshee.... an orgy of banshees even.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement