High amp alternator question - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Shadly
Lude Cray

Shadly is on a distinguished road
High amp alternator question

Is anyone familiar with this alternator? Is it legit? It says 86 - 89 accord. Does this really fit a 3g FI?
Shadly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
2.2eg2
Lude Addict

2.2eg2 will become famous soon enough
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=213365

┌П┐(_-)┌П┐
Damn e-thugs! what are you going to do? pop a CAPS-lock in my ass?
2.2eg2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Shadly
Lude Cray

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-89...item518aa5b86f

My bad. Forgot the link. It actually says it will fit a second gen FI. Will this one fit a 3gen as well?
Old 05-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
a1cnas
Lude Addict

a1cnas is on a distinguished road
just get a fouth gen alt. or a 94 accord alt. there cheaper then the third gens, more reliable, and more power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check these out
step1

Step2

Step3

OR

a1cnas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
Shadly
Lude Cray

Are there any issues with the fourth gen alt similar to the 94 accord issues? I think I read somewhere that a Legend alt fits. Is this correct?

Actually, what about this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-97...#ht_1116wt_910

94 so it should fit after the pulley swap. If I run an additional cable with a fuse from the battery, will this compensate for the increased amperage?

Last edited by Shadly; 05-28-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet
Send a message via Yahoo to cudaboy

Why don't you just buy this one? Or buy from same seller for carbed engine if you have one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-91...item518e9ec983

1 year warranty and 100% positive feedback.
Hell I would bought this if it was available 5 years ago. Or shell out like $275 for one like mine for 170 amp. Phone number in my garage. Or buy $300 dominick irragie alt off ebay. He is just as good as anybody else. He has been building alternator for atleast the last 7 years and maybe longer. Highly respected in the community! He is as good as stinger probably. without the $800 price tag.

'91 Si 4ws 5spd(black) "Black Betty"
'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

cudaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2010, 06:33 AM   #7
Shadly
Lude Cray

I didn't see that one, thanks. The ones with the $300+ price tag were scaring me away, hence the accord alts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaboy View Post
Why don't you just buy this one? Or buy from same seller for carbed engine if you have one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-91...item518e9ec983

1 year warranty and 100% positive feedback.
Hell I would bought this if it was available 5 years ago. Or shell out like $275 for one like mine for 170 amp. Phone number in my garage. Or buy $300 dominick irragie alt off ebay. He is just as good as anybody else. He has been building alternator for atleast the last 7 years and maybe longer. Highly respected in the community! He is as good as stinger probably. without the $800 price tag.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #8
cmccrac1
Getting Comfortable

cmccrac1 is on a distinguished road
I just pulled a 94 Acura Legend alternator from the junkyard, but looking at the mounts I just can't see how this could possibly fit our preludes...91 for me fyi...could someone confirm this fits before I go buy the thing...thanks guys

3rd gen Prelude alternator

2nd gen Legend alternator
cmccrac1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #9
88SE Lude
Prelude Aficionado

88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of
assuming those pics are of the actual unit.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccrac1 View Post
looking at the mounts I just can't see how this could possibly fit
You know whay that is?
Because you have sight and some common sense.

"You are not entitled to an opinion. An opinion is what you have when you don't have any facts. When you have the facts, you don't need an opinion"

MustardCat - "You have free access to people with decades worth of experience here. Being asked to format your posts in a readable manner is very reasonable. Call your local Honda dealer and see how much they want per hour to have a master tech diagnose your problem..."
88SE Lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #10
cmccrac1
Getting Comfortable

yeah, I have two sitting in a box I pulled out to compare and the pics are correct...I tried this install before, thought perhaps I got the wrong alternator back when I pulled it...but now I'm almost 100% that the one at the junkyard I hid today is the same as the one in the pic/box in my storage unit and like the one I have here in the box...WILL NOT FIT, I took an angle grinder to that mug lol no way it's going in....unless there is specific trim of Legend that has an alternate alternator (boom, still got it)
Old 01-10-2017, 12:32 AM   #11
88SE Lude
Prelude Aficionado

88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of
They have a different generator for generations.

Not looked at mine in ages but can't think that it would fit in the space available and be adjusted etc....

"You are not entitled to an opinion. An opinion is what you have when you don't have any facts. When you have the facts, you don't need an opinion"

MustardCat - "You have free access to people with decades worth of experience here. Being asked to format your posts in a readable manner is very reasonable. Call your local Honda dealer and see how much they want per hour to have a master tech diagnose your problem..."
Old 01-10-2017, 04:14 AM   #12
cmccrac1
Getting Comfortable

everything I have read has suggested that the 2nd generation Legend alternator will fit the 3g prelude, I have pulled two 2nd gen Legend alternators from two different years and they will not work...unless someone has some new light to shed here, I believe we can call this one debunked

how come so many, well 3 or so, people seem to think this would fit? am I missing something?

+1 for the word play lol

Last edited by cmccrac1; 01-10-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #13
88SE Lude
Prelude Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccrac1 View Post
how come so many, well 3 or so, people seem to think this would fit? am I missing something?
Well only those people would know I guess.

If I get chance I'll have alook at my alternator book and see if I can find some reasoning to it.

Quote:
+1 for the word play lol
No, all the credit for that is yours. I just play along.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #14
ilya_kon
Getting Comfortable

ilya_kon is on a distinguished road
You can take apart alternator and figure out why it is not working (there is troubleshooting procedure in service manual) and replace failed part.
I fixed mine couple years ago. It turned out rectifier failed. I pulled part from alternator on junkyard.
ilya_kon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 11:00 AM   #15
cmccrac1
Getting Comfortable

Okay, forget the Legend BS alternator...this has gotta be the end all alternator upgrade. One year warranty, 130 amp rebuilt alternator OEM from a 1991 Honda Accord L4 2.2 L for $95 free shipping worldwide. It is my understanding that this will drop right in and bolt up with just a longer, threaded bolt on the bottom (stationary/longer). I'm gonna try to go pull one today and confirm the fit...pictures are never good to trust. Unless of course someone can confirm this, I seek the end all upgrade for the damn alternator...$95 shipped Honda high output alternator for our cars, should be the correct pulley as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191236346725#viTabs_0

more than 10 available, 99.8% seller rating
Save

Last edited by cmccrac1; 01-11-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #16
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet
Send a message via Yahoo to cudaboy

As far as I remember the later alternators fit fine. Like you said you need a longer bolt and a matching nut for that bolt as our housings are threaded for the stock bolt and these others are not.

'91 Si 4ws 5spd(black) "Black Betty"
'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

cudaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #17
cmccrac1
Getting Comfortable

+100 watts for -$100 from OEM, with warranty, availability and without a pulley change...just the necessary ground upgrades. First one I have found.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #18
cmccrac1
Getting Comfortable

Thanks for the comment, more reason to go confirm.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #19
88SE Lude
Prelude Aficionado

Only problem I see there is that is uses a 6 rib pulley, 3G uses 5 rib.
They may swap over just fine though. Or even line up OK and leave it as is.

Edit: They're supposed to use 5 rib the same so that pic may be wrong.

Last edited by 88SE Lude; 01-11-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:16 PM   #20
luda8890
Lude Addict

luda8890 is on a distinguished road
When in doupt, I sell remanufactured 3g alternators with 130 amp output with 1year warranty. $120 shipped. Correct case, correct pully, no problems.

The shaft for the 6rib pullys is larger, so swpping the pully is not an option. When you use a 6rib pully you have to cut off the outer rib so it clears the ps belt.
luda8890 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement