How to: Replace Oil Cooler O-Ring - Page 3 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #51
DustinFL
Ludacious

DustinFL will become famous soon enough
So I just did this on my SH... I'd like to start off by saying that you better have some nice tools and a lot of patience. The procedure itself was simple, but the cooler is upside down on the top of the motor so that made things extra fun.

I put the bolt through the cooler with the new gasket already in place... I had to hold it with my finger and carefully guide it into place while simultaneously putting the cooler into place. After that I held the cooler still while twisting the bolt to where it was snug enough to hold everything still, then I tightened the whole thing from the top.

This was all done from the bottom of the car... I have skinny arms so that helped.

Rep either way though! My gasket fell apart too, and oil was everywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DustinFL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #52
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

xxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud of
^ I don't assume you took any pics, did you? It'd be cool to add pics for the SH owners to this.

J.L.D.E.P.P.M.S.3.C.N.Y.C.N.C.M.A.D
xxfallacyxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #53
jdm.ninja
Getting Comfortable

jdm.ninja is on a distinguished road
U guys! What if I have an aftermarket adapter for my oil cooler? That thing is leaking like a muther fucker and idk if its the adapter or the o-ring or the housing. Help me please.
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; A6277 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1
jdm.ninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #54
LooneySh22
Ludacious

LooneySh22 is on a distinguished road
i have an sh too and thats why i had to put gasket sealer on the o-ring since it had to go upside down and it kept falling haha.

^what PP is all about.

LooneySh22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #55
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

xxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm.ninja View Post
U guys! What if I have an aftermarket adapter for my oil cooler? That thing is leaking like a muther fucker and idk if its the adapter or the o-ring or the housing. Help me please.
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; A6277 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1
What kind of aftermarket adapter? Does it fit directly into the place of the OE unit?

Old 12-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #56
DustinFL
Ludacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfallacyxx View Post
^ I don't assume you took any pics, did you? It'd be cool to add pics for the SH owners to this.
I'll probably take a video when I jack it up and clean down there... A pic wouldn't show too much unless I showed how to get there exactly, because it looks like a clusterfuck from the angle I was at especially since it's all covered in oil. I'll also take pics of the tools I used as well.

The write up is pretty much on point for the SH, the trick is just getting the new gasket to stay put and not fall off when you're re-attatching.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #57
Preluderacer
Lude Cray

Preluderacer is on a distinguished road
dam this year for 5th gen suck..since a lot of you are have the same oil leaks at the same time..mine just leak today...found a load shit of oil in my garage. Fuck winters, its -10 in Wisconsin. hopefully its the o-ring, because i just fix mine rear main seal last year.

By the way..do they sell o-ring at auto part store rather then at the dealership. Its Sunday tomorrow so Honda wont be open.

Hot Chicks Attract Us Guys, Hot Cars Attract Hot Chicks

My Offical Crash List...Please add if you had one...lol

Preluderacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #58
Smitty2001
Lude Boss

Smitty2001 has a spectacular aura aboutSmitty2001 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preluderacer View Post
By the way..do they sell o-ring at auto part store rather then at the dealership. Its Sunday tomorrow so Honda wont be open.

google only came back with sandwich plates and a gasket for adding a plate to the filter..... So i'd say its a dealer only item.

Smitty2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #59
Preluderacer
Lude Cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2001 View Post
google only came back with sandwich plates and a gasket for adding a plate to the filter..... So i'd say its a dealer only item.
For those who have bought it from honda..do they have in stock..or do i have to specially order it from them.. cause i want to fix this as soon as possible.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:42 PM   #60
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

Quote:
dam this year for 5th gen suck..since a lot of you are have the same oil leaks at the same time..mine just leak today...found a load shit of oil in my garage. Fuck winters, its -10 in Wisconsin. hopefully its the o-ring, because i just fix mine rear main seal last year.

Quote:
For those who have bought it from honda..do they have in stock..or do i have to specially order it from them.. cause i want to fix this as soon as possible.
You may be able to use a universal, but it would basically require you to take the old one off and bring it into the store. Others claimed to have used gasket maker with success, although personally I'd rather put my trust in the O-ring. When I bought mine, they had it in stock. If you're going to get it from Honda, just call the dealership first and save yourself the trip if they don't have it.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #61
Preluderacer
Lude Cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJGB3 View Post
You will need a 30MM (1/2" drive) socket. I bought mine at Sears (Craftsman FTW).gl

91316-PT6-003 O-RING (62.4X3.1) this WAS the part# before it was 'superceded' to
Replaced by: 91316-PE7-730

91316-PE7-730 O-RING (62.4X3.1)
list is $2.52
How the fuck did your O-RING is so cheap????

Bought Mine today at Ken Vance Honda Here in EC, Wisconsin for $6.37

I think that is a rip off for a stupid rubber O-RING. I Don't know if price is a factor where you live but that is the price i pay for.

Last edited by Preluderacer; 01-04-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #62
hotsauce
Danny D's second in Command

hotsauce has a spectacular aura abouthotsauce has a spectacular aura about
I think i still have pics of when i did it on my sh. but really crappy pictures =(.

preludes in
Quote:
fuck you I'm dead I'm not licking a fucking squirrel with your nuts in it's mout!
Quote:
*runs away holding hands over ass*

hotsauce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #63
Preluderacer
Lude Cray

Off top but i was wondering if water in cold weather is the cause for the O-RING to crack..(frooze or freeze) because i wash my car ever other day to insure there no salt on it to prevent from rusting, since drive my car in the winter.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #64
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

Quote:
Off top but i was wondering if water in cold weather is the cause for the O-RING to crack..(frooze or freeze) because i wash my car ever other day to insure there no salt on it to prevent from rusting, since drive my car in the winter.
I'm just going to say no. The only reason the o-ring would crack is when it's lived past it's life expectancy and dried out. Mine died at 177,xxx miles.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #65
barrios35
Getting Comfortable

barrios35 is on a distinguished road
Thanks to the original poster!!! Easy fix!! 3 bucks later dry as can be!
barrios35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #66
barrios35
Getting Comfortable

barrios35 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Funny though mine happened this week when the car sat for 7 days still in sub zero temps. But I am sure that it was combination age and being dry for the week.
barrios35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #67
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrios35 View Post
Thanks to the original poster!!! Easy fix!! 3 bucks later dry as can be!
NP, rep is appreciated (lmk if you don't know about our rep system here...)

Old 01-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #68
DustinFL
Ludacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrios35 View Post
Funny though mine happened this week when the car sat for 7 days still in sub zero temps. But I am sure that it was combination age and being dry for the week.
Cold weather alone won't cause them to fail but it will make rubber more brittle. My GF's air suspension went out, my o-ring and many others are going out, and so on. So if you're o-ring is on its way out then the odds are pretty good it may totally fail during the winter.

Here is how I got to mine on my SH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ikOpi3ixmg

Last edited by DustinFL; 01-06-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #69
biglegs
Lude Addict

biglegs will become famous soon enoughbiglegs will become famous soon enough
ive just noticed that im dripping oil slightly, causing my ass end to be covered in oil sut from the blow back, i have yet to climb under my sh, but this is kinda sounding like the suspect...anyone else notice the blow back on there rear bumper?...and repped.
biglegs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #70
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglegs View Post
ive just noticed that im dripping oil slightly, causing my ass end to be covered in oil sut from the blow back, i have yet to climb under my sh, but this is kinda sounding like the suspect...anyone else notice the blow back on there rear bumper?...and repped.
Thanks for the rep

Although by blowback do you mean black soot that accumulates on the rear bumper? If so it could be caused by your car running very rich or burning oil.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #71
biglegs
Lude Addict

biglegs will become famous soon enoughbiglegs will become famous soon enough
yeah, the black soot is all over my rear bumper, i was thinking it was being blown back from an oil drip...i could be burning oil, or yeah it could be running rich. i have noticed a strong exhaust smell when its idleing...
biglegs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #72
jqelmalcriao

jqelmalcriao is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jqelmalcriao
this is going to be extremely helpfull when i do this today....thanks for postin
jqelmalcriao is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #73
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

NP, good luck!

Old 01-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #74
TheJGB3
Ludacious

TheJGB3 will become famous soon enoughTheJGB3 will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfallacyxx View Post
You may be able to use a universal, but it would basically require you to take the old one off and bring it into the store. Others claimed to have used gasket maker with success, although personally I'd rather put my trust in the O-ring. When I bought mine, they had it in stock. If you're going to get it from Honda, just call the dealership first and save yourself the trip if they don't have it.

Most Honda dealers should have the oil cooler o-ring in stock (91316-PE7-730), because it is used on the following vehicles.

Honda Models:
ACCORD 2D '08-'09
ACCORD 2D 90-93
ACCORD 4D '08-'09
ACCORD 4D 90-93
ACCORD WAGON 91-93
CIVIC 2D '06-'09
CIVIC 3D 92-95
CIVIC 3D/4D 84-87
CIVIC 4D '06-'08
CIVIC 4D '09
CIVIC 4D 88-91
CIVIC WAGON 88-91
CRX 84-87
CRX 88-91
INSIGHT 00-03
INSIGHT '04-'06
ODYSSEY 95-98
PRELUDE 88-91
PRELUDE 92-96
PRELUDE 97-01
S2000 '00-'07
S2000 '08-'09

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~ring~91316-PE7-730.html
OEM CF trim kit & JDM CF gauge bezel
JDM Foglights w/USDM switch
JDM Type S red-stitched seats, shift knob, steeringwheel
Clear front sidemarkers w/ Amber LED bulbs
polyurethane motor mount inserts
ASE Re-Certified Technician
Suspension and Steering (A4)
Brakes (A5)
Heating and Air Conditioning (A7)
Exhaust System Specialist (X1)
Automobile Parts Specialist (P2)
Automobile Service Consultant (C1)

Last edited by TheJGB3; 01-17-2010 at 06:56 PM.
TheJGB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #75
holyabish1

holyabish1 is on a distinguished road
62.4X3.1 you can go into a parts store and see if they have a corresponding o-ring, but honestly I've stopped buying anything from parts store. Everything from 02 sensors to valve gaskets and all the simple stuff that should last never does when I buy from wholesalers like Advance Auto. After reverting back to buying from Honda directly my overall consumption in repair parts has dropped, just because everything has lasted longer.
holyabish1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement