New to PP.com? Ask your noob questions HERE! - Page 353 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:08 PM   #8801
jeremicium

jeremicium is on a distinguished road
Hello all, first post here.

Bought an 89 si back in September. 160k miles on it. About a month ago it developed a distinct ticking noise that then became a loud knocking. During troubleshooting checked compression and had about 165 in each cylinder. Turned out that the exhust cam gear had come loose and was banging against the camshaft. Tightened the cam gear, took it for a test drive and it started running very rough. Had to drive it about a mile to get home. My initial thought was timing belt slipped after messing with the cam gear. Decided to replace timing belt and H2O pump, inspected for damage from the banging cam gear, found that part of the end of the cam had sheared off. Found a junkyard camshaft and cam gear and installed.

Put the car back together, started her up and she was clearly misfiring. Did a compression check. cylinder 1 and 2 190 PSI, 3 and 4 zero. Maybe bent valves from the test drive? 90% certain timing belt was installed correctly and that everything was at TDC. Only about $200 into the fix so far. Before going in and tearing the hell out of the top end and replacing the entire valve train i'm wondering if swapping in a used engine might not be a better option. Car is pretty straight and drives great. Thoughts on the best path forward? Trying to balance cost effectiveness with getting it done in a timely manner.

Thanks for your time!
jeremicium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2017, 10:52 AM   #8802
3geezee
Getting Comfortable

3geezee is on a distinguished road
Dumb question but how do you take the side moldings off without breaking the clips that hold it on? I always seem to break those little shits
3geezee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #8803
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet
Send a message via Yahoo to cudaboy

I think mike aka luzer had suggested pliers from the inside of the door. I don't know if that would help the clip any. There is a tool I would use for prying them loose. I wish I would of bought it years ago because I would have a bunch of these mouldings instead of nearly none. My friend bought it and I just need to buy it from him. lisle brand 59250:

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...s/?product=368

I wouldn't use an air hammer though. It does say to set it to low psi if you do.

Don't forget to remove the nut if it is still attached near the b post on the inside of the door. In the door jam area on the door.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'91 Si 4ws 5spd(black) "Black Betty"
'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cudaboy; 01-05-2017 at 03:49 PM.
cudaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2017, 11:51 PM   #8804
88SE Lude
Prelude Aficionado

88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of
Absolutely no need for special tools to remove the trim.
Just squeeze them together with pliers from inside the panel.

"You are not entitled to an opinion. An opinion is what you have when you don't have any facts. When you have the facts, you don't need an opinion"

MustardCat - "You have free access to people with decades worth of experience here. Being asked to format your posts in a readable manner is very reasonable. Call your local Honda dealer and see how much they want per hour to have a master tech diagnose your problem..."
88SE Lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #8805
3geezee
Getting Comfortable

Cool beans thank you guys
Old 01-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #8806
3geezee
Getting Comfortable

Hey me again haha. Okay so I replaced my alternator the other day and my car was running good for a couple days but then my battery light came on and my car died. I was thinking it was either the alternator I put in or the battery.. but both tested good. It's like my car thinks it has a dead battery because I'm not getting any power to anything, even with a fully charged battery . So I went through and checked all the grounds and cleaned the battery terminals but still nothing. I just don't really know what to check now. Any ideas?

Update: I was able to jump start it after it first broke down and I thought it was my battery so I ran it on my brothers jeep battery until It broke down again. The second time it broke down is when it lost all power so now I'm thinking I might have blown a fuse by running the larger battery. I did notice the ground that was on the battery was messed up so I replaced that and I think that might have been the original problem and then I just made another problem. Fuse?

Last edited by 3geezee; 01-09-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #8807
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet

check the pink I think it is pal screw down fuse in the under hood fuse box. It is 70 amp. Otherwise I would clean the contacts on the ignition switch or replace.

'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

Old 01-09-2017, 03:30 PM   #8808
3geezee
Getting Comfortable

Yah just checked the fuses and the battery fuse definitely looks burnt gonna go get a new one right now. Sorry should've thought about it a little bit more before I posted a question but when I can't immediately figure out the problem I panic hahha xD
Old 01-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #8809
cudaboy
Elite Member

If it still has problems after that did you have the new alternator tested when you purchased it? I would always do this with reman alternators and starters.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #8810
cudaboy
Elite Member

Also if you didn't unhook the battery when you installed the new alternator it is quite possible you shorted its/the wiring harness thick wire that is positive on the engine or body. It is the one with the ring eyelit connector. If so it blew your 70 amp fuse as it is inline of that wire and your new alternator wouldn't be able to charge the battery. So if that was the case then you been running off battery power only since then. Once the battery is drained you would have to charge it or replace like you did.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:09 PM   #8811
3geezee
Getting Comfortable

Yah i had it checked and they said its good and I made sure to disconnect the battery before I put the alternator in. I think it blew the fuse because the battery wasn't grounded right and it took in too much power. At least that's what I'm hoping happened. I fixed the ground and changed the fuse. It started up but I didn't get to drive it too much because I realized it was leaking coolant from the thermostat housing.. so I started tightening it down and broke the bolt. Damn bolts. Luckily I was able to grab the broken part with pliers and got it out. Sooo minor set back haha. now gonna go get a new bolt put it back together and hope that battery light doesn't come back on. Thanks man.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #8812
cudaboy
Elite Member

never mind I figured it out

Last edited by cudaboy; 01-26-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:19 PM   #8813
GettingAClueH22A4

GettingAClueH22A4 is on a distinguished road
What hose is this thanks im leaking coolant https://goo.gl/photos/PGSXRYGbHHNvhR4k8
GettingAClueH22A4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #8814
flaifelflave

flaifelflave is on a distinguished road
Hey I just bought a 89 4ws and I'm wondering what kind of electronic tuning would be needed if i ever decided to install a turbo
A second question is, would a newer b series vtech head bolt right on? And what would the process be for making all of that work?
Lastly
What transmissions bolt right up to my 2.0
Because if i ever did decide to turbo it
I would want to upgrade my transmission

Thank you!
flaifelflave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #8815
luzer
Elite Member

luzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaifelflave View Post
Hey I just bought a 89 4ws and I'm wondering what kind of electronic tuning would be needed if i ever decided to install a turbo
A second question is, would a newer b series vtech head bolt right on? And what would the process be for making all of that work?
Lastly

Thank you!
You should have done some research before you bought a 3rd gen Prelude. Even though we technically have Honda b-series engines, they are what's referred to as the bastard b-series. There isn't a quick easy answer to your first question. Please do some research in the 3rd gen FAQ sticky before you buy anything to boost your lude.

No, a newer b-series vtec head will not bolt right on. You'd be better off swapping in an engine that came from the factory with vtec (H22, b16, b18...etc) if you want vtec.

The only transmissions that will bolt onto your b20a5 is another 3rd gen transmission (d2j3, d2j5, d2a4). However, if you do end up doing an engine swap you'll have other transmission options, depending on which engine you decide on.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #8816
flaifelflave

Hi does anyone know where I can get rear control arm bushings?
I would like to do all of the control arm bushings
But i really need to do the rears
I'm having a hard time finding them online
Old 02-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #8817
flaifelflave

Oh sorry i meant to make that as a new post not a reply
Thank you for your advice
I'm not super huge on boosting it
I was just trying to see what my options were
Old 02-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #8818
flaifelflave

Hi does anyone know where I can get rear control arm bushings?
I would like to do all of the control arm bushings
But i really need to do the rears
I'm having a hard time finding them online

(I'm new to forums altogether so I'm kind of figuring out how to post stuff and reply to other people's posts)
Old 02-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #8819
flaifelflave

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzer View Post
Quote:
Lastly

Thank you!
You should have done some research before you bought a 3rd gen Prelude. Even though we technically have Honda b-series engines, they are what's referred to as the bastard b-series. There isn't a quick easy answer to your first question. Please do some research in the 3rd gen FAQ sticky before you buy anything to boost your lude.

No, a newer b-series vtec head will not bolt right on. You'd be better off swapping in an engine that came from the factory with vtec (H22, b16, b18...etc) if you want vtec.

The only transmissions that will bolt onto your b20a5 is another 3rd gen transmission (d2j3, d2j5, d2a4). However, if you do end up doing an engine swap you'll have other transmission options, depending on which engine you decide on.

Thank you
I'll figure all of that out
Honestly I'm not that interested in boosting it
I just wanted to know what my options were
Are there simple bolt on modifications for the b20a5 just to improve power and get a little more pep without full out boosting it?

Where are the best places for stock and aftermarket parts?
Thank you again!
Old 02-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #8820
luzer
Elite Member

luzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Thank you
I'll figure all of that out
Honestly I'm not that interested in boosting it
I just wanted to know what my options were
Are there simple bolt on modifications for the b20a5 just to improve power and get a little more pep without full out boosting it?

Where are the best places for stock and aftermarket parts?
Thank you again!
There's not really any power to be gained with these engines from simple bolt-ons. Maybe a few hp with a header and CAI. You can pick up an OBX or Pacesetter header from ebay when they are available. But you'll want to make sure you get the right one for your b20a5. There isn't an aftermarket cold air intake for 3rd gen Preludes so you'll have to get creative. Check the FAQ sticky to see what other people have done.

I've had the best luck with buying new parts from hondapartsnow.com. For aftermarket, check the FAQ sticky. We have vendors here that have some aftermarket parts for sale.

Do yourself a favor before you make any more posts or threads. Read through the FAQ sticky thoroughly, including clicking on links (especially prelude3g.com). All of the questions you have asked can be answered in the FAQ. Here is a link to the FAQ sticky to make it easy for you...
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=328697
Old 02-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #8821
3geezee
Getting Comfortable

Hi so recently the ludes been having trouble going into third gear . She shifts into every other gear with no problem but 3rd has been tricky. Also makes a kinda grinding noise while at idle but if I push in the clutch the noise stops. I figured this is a basic car question not just a prelude question so I did a Google search and what I gathered from that is that it's my 3rd gear syncro? And my throw out bearing that's making the noise .. is this accurate information?

Update: now its having trouble getting into other gears also

And now it's getting stuck in gears is it my throw out bearing?
Or is my transmission trashed ?

Last edited by 3geezee; 02-21-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:46 PM   #8822
T.philman

T.philman is on a distinguished road
crankshaft pulley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Caitiff View Post
I'm taking the initiative, hopefully this will end up being stickied, so that I can be immortalized in my glory for such a brilliant idea.

So here you go...if you're new to preludepower, or if you're too stupid and lazy to use the valuable search tool, or if you tried searching and you're afraid of getting yelled at for making a new thread, then ask your question here. Almost every question a noob has to ask has been covered before, so instead of having 7 thousand threads a day that the mods have to lock after 2 replies...ask here...we'll *try* to go easy on you.

To help keep this from being a clusterfuck, if you're answering a question, please quote the question in your reply....if that makes any sense.

Hey, Ive got a 91 prelude with a b21a1 and my crankshaft pulley or harmonic balancer ( not sure what the right name for this is) went bad, wondering if you could help me out and show me where i can order the right part.
T.philman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #8823
Purpleasf

Purpleasf is on a distinguished road
Im new to this I'm looking to beef up my car for the track I'm thinking about keeping the original b21a1 engine in my 91 Can someone can give me some links where to get upgraded parts
Thanks in advance
Purpleasf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #8824
Andrew
I am Prelude

Andrew has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew has a spectacular aura about

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.philman View Post
Hey, Ive got a 91 prelude with a b21a1 and my crankshaft pulley or harmonic balancer ( not sure what the right name for this is) went bad, wondering if you could help me out and show me where i can order the right part.

Your best bet is to find one from an 88-89 at a junkyard, or eBay, or the classifieds on here. They aren't available new. The 88-89s had one-piece crank pulleys, so they don't fall apart like ALL the 90-91 two-piece ones eventually do. The one from the carbed engine is considered most desirable because it's lighter.

Unorthodox Racing makes (made?) a lightweight underdrive pulley, that may be an option as well. I'd go used OEM myself.

instagram: @

Quote:
I think in '87 the engineers at Honda got the bean counters drunk on sake before having them sign off on the Prelude design.
"W-wait! Why are the shifter cables adjustable? No one is ever going to..."
"A toast to your health!
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #8825
luzer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.philman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Your best bet is to find one from an 88-89 at a junkyard, or eBay, or the classifieds on here. They aren't available new. The 88-89s had one-piece crank pulleys, so they don't fall apart like ALL the 90-91 two-piece ones eventually do. The one from the carbed engine is considered most desirable because it's lighter.

Unorthodox Racing makes (made?) a lightweight underdrive pulley, that may be an option as well. I'd go used OEM myself.
Actually they are available new if you can believe hondapartsnow.com. Here is the one piece pulley for the b20a5...
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...=pd:2510772,13

And here is the pulley for the b20a3...
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...0-pk1-010.html

The b20a3 pulley is half the price of the b20a5 pulley. Just because the website says they have them doesn't mean they actually do. You should call them to verify before ordering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement