New to PP.com? Ask your noob questions HERE! - Page 3 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:56 AM   #51
10gxiong
True Luder

10gxiong is on a distinguished road
Hi guys. I was wondering if you guys had info on how I can turn off the [brake lamp] light in my dash. My brake lights are working the way they should be, I'm not sure why the light always come on. Its an 88' Si 4WS, automatic transmission. The [brake lamp] light doesn't come on when the car first starts up, but when you tap the brake pedal to shift into drive, the [brake lamp] light comes on. Any solutions for resolving this issue? Thanks for your patience and help guys.
10gxiong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009, 05:13 AM   #52
cnrtool
Getting Comfortable

cnrtool is on a distinguished road
introduction

Wanted to register and say hi. Appears to be much needed information here.

My name is chuck, and am a new owner of a 1989 prelude 2.0si I bought for a song from the estate of a deceased family member.

The only history I have is the car was parked running about 2-3 years ago. Anyhow, the body is in excellent condition with zero rust. I brought is down to Florida via transport, and got it running with a fuel pump change.

Ran very well, for about 50 miles. Smooth... until....

One morning, I went out to start it and no compression. My initial thought was the timing belt broke. To my surprise, upon removing covers, I discovered this was not the case, and that the belt appeared as if it was fairly new???. (and in correct time)

Anyhow, next step was to pull the valve cover, and discovered that 2 intake lifters (1 of the 2, on different cylinders) were laying loose in the head. It appears as if at least 2 valves are bent, maybe more, don;t know yet. The exact cause is still a mystery. My only guess is that it threw a timing belt in the past and was slapped back together and parked? I have no idea and its former owner is dead.

Well, move forward to today. I am in the process of removing the head. I am to the point of removing the intake manifold and am finding that it is a bear getting to all the bolts holding it to the head, mostly the ones under the manifold. I assume they are accessed underneath through the opening you;d change the oil filter through?

I read about others changing a head gasket in 3 hours? Well, this newbie took 3 hours to get the exhaust manifold off LOL.

At anyrate, I am planning a new timing belt, waterpump, tensioner, gaskets, and a head overhaul. Glad the car was cheap! If any of you 3 hour dudes or dudettes have a magic technique or secret tool to remove the bottom intake manifold bolts, I would appreciate some tips.

And last, love the car. Everything appears to work, with the exception of the speedo, cruise, and S3 code which I belive is all related.
My main transpotation is a silverado SS, the Honda is intended for days when I dont need a truck at work. ( I own a machine shop).

Regards,
Chuck.
cnrtool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #53
luzer
Elite Member

luzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gxiong View Post
Hi guys. I was wondering if you guys had info on how I can turn off the [brake lamp] light in my dash. My brake lights are working the way they should be, I'm not sure why the light always come on. Its an 88' Si 4WS, automatic transmission. The [brake lamp] light doesn't come on when the car first starts up, but when you tap the brake pedal to shift into drive, the [brake lamp] light comes on. Any solutions for resolving this issue? Thanks for your patience and help guys.
As you probably know, that indicator tells you when you have a bulb out. Are you sure that all 4 of your bulbs in the tail lights are good, as well as the high mounted brake light in the rear window? Did you recently add or remove a spoiler? It's common for this to happen when you add a spoiler to a car that previously didn't have one, and use the wires from the high mounted brake light to power the brake light in the spoiler.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #54
luzer
Elite Member

luzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnrtool View Post
Wanted to register and say hi. Appears to be much needed information here.

My name is chuck, and am a new owner of a 1989 prelude 2.0si I bought for a song from the estate of a deceased family member.

The only history I have is the car was parked running about 2-3 years ago. Anyhow, the body is in excellent condition with zero rust. I brought is down to Florida via transport, and got it running with a fuel pump change.

Ran very well, for about 50 miles. Smooth... until....

One morning, I went out to start it and no compression. My initial thought was the timing belt broke. To my surprise, upon removing covers, I discovered this was not the case, and that the belt appeared as if it was fairly new???. (and in correct time)

Anyhow, next step was to pull the valve cover, and discovered that 2 intake lifters (1 of the 2, on different cylinders) were laying loose in the head. It appears as if at least 2 valves are bent, maybe more, don;t know yet. The exact cause is still a mystery. My only guess is that it threw a timing belt in the past and was slapped back together and parked? I have no idea and its former owner is dead.

Well, move forward to today. I am in the process of removing the head. I am to the point of removing the intake manifold and am finding that it is a bear getting to all the bolts holding it to the head, mostly the ones under the manifold. I assume they are accessed underneath through the opening you;d change the oil filter through?

I read about others changing a head gasket in 3 hours? Well, this newbie took 3 hours to get the exhaust manifold off LOL.

At anyrate, I am planning a new timing belt, waterpump, tensioner, gaskets, and a head overhaul. Glad the car was cheap! If any of you 3 hour dudes or dudettes have a magic technique or secret tool to remove the bottom intake manifold bolts, I would appreciate some tips.

And last, love the car. Everything appears to work, with the exception of the speedo, cruise, and S3 code which I belive is all related.
My main transpotation is a silverado SS, the Honda is intended for days when I dont need a truck at work. ( I own a machine shop).

Regards,
Chuck.
Hi Chuck, welcome to the site. Congrats on picking up what sounds like a pretty clean 3rd gen. Did you change the oil before driving it around? If If the engine was running as well as you said, the cause of your problem may have been the old oil that was in the engine. First thing I would have done is replace all the fluids and a do a tune up. Who knows how old the oil in that thing is.

It's kind of a tricky getting those nuts off the bottom of the intake manifold. First thing I usually do, assuming you've gotten the exhaust out of the way, is remove the oil filter to give you some room to work. You can also pull the support that's next to the downpipe if it's in your way. Next I pull the supports for the intake manifold. It's kind of a bitch the first time because part of the wire harness is anchored to one of the supports. Once those are out of the way there is a lot more room to work. One other thing I may do, that some may think is overkill, is to remove the driver side axle and intermediate shaft. It's a bit more work, but it really gives you a lot more room to work back there without the intermediate shaft. I've removed my axles so many times that I can have one out in about 10 minutes, so for me it's worth doing the extra work. Just keep in mind that if you remove the intermediate shaft you'll lose transmission fluid out of the axle hole.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #55
10gxiong
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzer View Post
As you probably know, that indicator tells you when you have a bulb out. Are you sure that all 4 of your bulbs in the tail lights are good, as well as the high mounted brake light in the rear window? Did you recently add or remove a spoiler? It's common for this to happen when you add a spoiler to a car that previously didn't have one, and use the wires from the high mounted brake light to power the brake light in the spoiler.
All the bulbs were replaced when I replaced the rear tail light assembly for both sides. The Prelude does have a spoiler with a brake light, but I am uncertain whether or not it was the OEM optional spoiler. Does the OEM spoiler have three trunk mounts or two and does it also depend on the year of the Prelude. The spoiler on this Prelude has three trunk mounts and it is an 88'. The rear window mounted third brake light along with the spoiler brake light both work, so I am not sure what the problem could be.
The reason I am eliminating the possibility of the spoiler brake light being the issue, is because the light just came on recently and in the past 2 or so years that my girlfriend and I have had the Prelude, that light has not come on. Any other possibilities?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #56
luzer
Elite Member

Quote:
All the bulbs were replaced when I replaced the rear tail light assembly for both sides. The Prelude does have a spoiler with a brake light, but I am uncertain whether or not it was the OEM optional spoiler. Does the OEM spoiler have three trunk mounts or two and does it also depend on the year of the Prelude. The spoiler on this Prelude has three trunk mounts and it is an 88'. The rear window mounted third brake light along with the spoiler brake light both work, so I am not sure what the problem could be.
The reason I am eliminating the possibility of the spoiler brake light being the issue, is because the light just came on recently and in the past 2 or so years that my girlfriend and I have had the Prelude, that light has not come on. Any other possibilities?
Sorry, I haven't read of any other causes for the indicator to come on. I have personal experience with the addition of the spoiler causing it. Try unplugging the spoiler and see if it still indicated a bad bulb.

As far as spoilers go, the 88/89 ludes had three mounting points. 90/91 ludes had four mounting points.

Here is a picture of my 89 with a spoiler from a 91 installed. If you look around the site a little you will have no problem finding the 88/89 style spoiler.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #57
2nd one
Elite Member

2nd one will become famous soon enough2nd one will become famous soon enough

Quote:
mine did the same thing. what i found was two things, and i don't know exactly which one solved the problem because it was a new car to me and i was in the middle of a frantic push to get it done in a week.
first thing was i was low on brake fluid. the second was even though the tail lights were working there was quite a bit of corrosion in the sockets. some fluid in the brake reservoir, and a battery brush took care of my problem. i am not 100% positive on this either, but i thought if your lude came with spoiler, you didn't get the highmount third light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2nd one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #58
luzer
Elite Member

Depends on if the spoiler was a dealer installed option or a factory option. Cars with dealer installed spoilers had both.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #59
10gxiong
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd one View Post
mine did the same thing. what i found was two things, and i don't know exactly which one solved the problem because it was a new car to me and i was in the middle of a frantic push to get it done in a week.
first thing was i was low on brake fluid. the second was even though the tail lights were working there was quite a bit of corrosion in the sockets. some fluid in the brake reservoir, and a battery brush took care of my problem. i am not 100% positive on this either, but i thought if your lude came with spoiler, you didn't get the highmount third light.
If the brake fluid level was low, the [brake] light would have come on. I already experienced this and leveled of the brake fluid level so the light went out. I'll try the brush with the sockets. Hopefully that should do the trick.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #60
GoldenLude89
Banned

GoldenLude89 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by granprix View Post
Go to gas place,insert funcard, or go to register and hand over fun tickets......add gas,rev hard,dump clutch,scare norms!!!!!
BAHAHAH LMAO ROFLCOPTER LAWL TACOSTAND ....

lol if you couldn't notice i lol'd at this
GoldenLude89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 12:53 AM   #61
ajs_1989
Getting Comfortable

ajs_1989 is on a distinguished road
I was browsing around on the for sale forum and i noticed people saying "bump" alot on there on almost every thread what does this mean?
ajs_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 01:40 AM   #62
10gxiong
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_1989 View Post
I was browsing around on the for sale forum and i noticed people saying "bump" alot on there on almost every thread what does this mean?
They're just posting a bump so that the thread goes back up to the top of the threads list in that particular section of the forum.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #63
mrsparks07
Lude Dude

mrsparks07 is on a distinguished road
I got one! How do you disconnect that damned annoying seat belt warning?
mrsparks07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #64
luzer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsparks07 View Post
Keep your seat belt buckled.

The easiest way to disable the seatbelt buzzer is to remove the rear view mirror cover, and use a flat head screwdriver to break the little black piezo speaker off. I removed the pc board and de-soldered the speaker on mine.

Last edited by luzer; 09-30-2009 at 12:33 PM.
luzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #65
granprix
Ludacious

granprix will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLude89 View Post
BAHAHAH LMAO ROFLCOPTER LAWL TACOSTAND ....

lol if you couldn't notice i lol'd at this
Did this at my local WAWA after some ass in a f350 cut me off for a spot 'cause he was bigger.
Got the spot behind him and got my 14 before he got his 50.
Turned the wheel to lock right,reved it LOUD,and AUGERED my self from behind him,,,,,,scared the SHIT out of every body in the place...
Norms hate loud noises...

Preludepower member since 2005!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
granprix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #66
1funryd
Elite Member

1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 1funryd Send a message via MSN to 1funryd Send a message via Yahoo to 1funryd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd one View Post
Linda that was pretty good, I had this issue years ago, and you just reminded me of what I did to fix it. Good job!

Yes the sockets corroding will be another cause to your brake lamp issue.

mine were too corroded so I went the junkyard and cut the connectors and replaced my entirely.

Sean

3rd Gen Aftermarket Manager

(Clik Here)
Email:

(Danny19 - JDM RH Drive) (1Funryd - H23 Swap) (B20luda - Turbo Charged H22)Representing All of 3rd Gens!!!
1funryd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #67
luzer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1funryd View Post
Linda that was pretty good, I had this issue years ago, and you just reminded me of what I did to fix it. Good job!

Yes the sockets corroding will be another cause to your brake lamp issue.

mine were too corroded so I went the junkyard and cut the connectors and replaced my entirely.
Um...Sean. That wasn't Linda, lol. Linda is L Rudolph.

Why did you cut the connectors? You could have just replaced the tail light harnesses. The plugs are right there at the tail lights.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:17 AM   #68
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet
Send a message via Yahoo to cudaboy

I just cut a buckle off a seat belt at the junkyard for passenger seat. That way buzzer still works but not annoying. If I get a passenger that wants to use their seatbelt they just take the buckle out and toss it in the glove box or on dash.

'91 Si 4ws 5spd(black) "Black Betty"
'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

cudaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #69
mrsparks07
Lude Dude

mrsparks07 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzer View Post
Keep your seat belt buckled.

The easiest way to disable the seatbelt buzzer is to remove the rear view mirror cover, and use a flat head screwdriver to break the little black piezo speaker off. I removed the pc board and de-soldered the speaker on mine.
Thank you! I may look into this tonight!
mrsparks07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #70
AzludeSi

AzludeSi is on a distinguished road
Ok i got a 91 si with the b21 in it and want to do a h22 swap. Been looking for either an A or A1 h22 cuz i heard its the most common and easiest to swap. In all this waiting someone found me an h22a4 for a good price but i wasnt sure if that would be ideal for my swap and am not sure everything will be the same especially with the wiring and what not, seein how its an obdll and a 5th gen instead of the 4th gens obdl.Can any one help? Felling kinda confused.
AzludeSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #71
rockstar25
Getting Comfortable

rockstar25 is on a distinguished road
The rubber hose that connects my slave cylinder to the hard line on my 3rd gen is leaking, any suguestions on where i can get a good cheap replacement? dealer wants $80
Old 10-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #72
2nd one
Elite Member

2nd one will become famous soon enough2nd one will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar25 View Post
The rubber hose that connects my slave cylinder to the hard line on my 3rd gen is leaking, any suguestions on where i can get a good cheap replacement? dealer wants $80
ebay for the stainless braided line.

2nd one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #73
10gxiong
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsparks07 View Post
Could possibly be due to the wiring that you have under your seat? I know there's a wire that runs from the buckle to this other wire that runs somewhere into the car. You can't take out the buckle without disconnecting it. Could it possibly be that something's wrong with the wiring under the seat?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #74
schmitty
Lude Boss

schmitty has a spectacular aura aboutschmitty has a spectacular aura aboutschmitty has a spectacular aura about
Alternator/PS Pulleys/belts squeaking

i just replaced the oil seal in the power steering housing that made it sling fluid all over my hood & now it stopped doing that, but my belts are squeaking like crazy. i didn't adjust the tension at all when i replaced the seal.

suggestions?

- PM me if you have questions

be the change you want to see in the world
schmitty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #75
luzer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty915 View Post
i just replaced the oil seal in the power steering housing that made it sling fluid all over my hood & now it stopped doing that, but my belts are squeaking like crazy. i didn't adjust the tension at all when i replaced the seal.

suggestions?
My suggestion would be to adjust the tension now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement