H23BB2's review of Hytech Replica Header - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Review Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Lude Boss
h23bb2 will become famous soon enough
H23BB2's review of Hytech Replica Header

I cannot claim any power gains from this header since it went on as part of an H22 swap.
The fitment to the head was perfect. The slip joints were tight but once you get them started a pair of channel lock pliers will pull them tight so that was not a problem either. You may have to file the inner edges of the outside pipes for them to slip on a little easier. I'd also recommend a little PB Blaster or WD-40 as well. DO NOT try to use the bolts to bring the peices together because it will not work. DO NOT flair the pipes to make them slide on better. Some people have done it and are now fighting leaks. I have no leaks.

I cut the front crossmember to accomodate the header. This is a minor thing and nothing to worry about. I cut more than I had to but that was because I didn't have the motor in the car.
Here's a couple pics of where I cut the crossmember:

When I purchased it, I also purchased a 4 way adjustable test pipe.
Here's the one I purchased:
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread...9129&highlight=
And an alternative:
http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-T...P1880C462.aspx
The header/test pipe assembly was too short. By about ~18". So I purchase a 2.5" pipe from Autozone with flaired ends. I measued and cut the pipe to size and it fixed the problem. The collector flange is the lowest point of the entire header. I would recommend taking it to a muffler shop and having them weld in a flex pipe right before the collector so that it sits slightly higher and can flex. Otherwise it will crack, unless your using really good aftermarket mounts. I've got Energy Suspension inserts in the front and rear mounts plus a brand new driver's side mount and my transmission one is in great shape. So needless to say, my engine is pretty solid and moves very little. If mine cracks, I will be getting a flex pipe installed.

The difference in space between test pipe and header collector:

The solution:

The results:

Here's several pictures showing the ground clearance in refference to the sub-frame brace:

The next one is the ACTUAL ground clearance. The car is off the jack stands:

I spent some time driving around and can say that I have not had any problems with it scraping with some exceptions. The collector flange will scrape on speed tables and speed bumps slightly, but nothing major. The secondaries do not scrub or scrape despite how low they look. I drove down several gravel driveways and a handful of pothole- filled roads at about 40mph (you wouldn't want to drive any faster down them anyway). My car is lowered on H&R race springs (approximately a 2" drop all around) and am sitting on stock wheels and tires.
How my car sits:

next to a stock ride height MS6 (my father's):

Next to other ludes at a GA meet:

The oxygen sensor posed a minor hold up. If I would have installed the O2 sensor in the bung on the header it would have interfered with the sub-frame brace and would have easily broken if the engine moved slightly.

Pictures explain better:

My solution was to put it in the O2 bung on the test pipe which is actually closer to the factory location anyway. But since it screws into the side instead of the top, the wires have to be extended several inches and then zip-tied out of the way of the half-shaft.
Picture:

After driving for a week the header has turned a deep bronze with a slight purplish tint in places. No picture. sorry.

The dyno results finally came in earlier today. It picked up 7-11whp on 98 SH with the following mods: CAI, Custom 2.5" crush-bent exhaust, OBX 2.5" single in/3.0" dual out muffler. The temperature was 66F and 6% humidity.
Dyno:

Original dyno thread that I stole that from:
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2506208

NOTE: that came from an SH so it WILL FIT on SH's!!!!!
I took the pictures with the only camera I have: my phone. I am kind enough to post up pics, info, and answer all questions so please guys, cut me some slack.
If there's any questions or you want a picture of something specific, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited by h23bb2; 06-22-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Lude Dude

pesater is on a distinguished road
sweet, I just got mine today, look like I cant drop the car much because header seats low
Old 02-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Prelude Aficionado

Blue01 is a jewel in the roughBlue01 is a jewel in the roughBlue01 is a jewel in the rough
Nice pictures.

That does hang pretty low. And I'm not surprised that the O2 sensor bung conflicts with the centre beam, I've seen that on real Hytechs as well I think. ATTS compatibility I suppose.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Lude Boss

yeah they were taken with my 3 megapixel camera phone. Its sad, but that's all I got. lol
I'll be going down a rough gravel driveway today so we'll see how that goes. And I'll get some pics of the notched out crossmember and the header after a few days of use.
I'll probably get a picture of the oxygen sensor scenario later this week after its first oil change.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:40 PM
I am Prelude

GoldLudeRay has a spectacular aura aboutGoldLudeRay has a spectacular aura about
yes i was thinking the o2 bung is in the wrong spot as well
Old 02-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Ludacious

prelude2nr is on a distinguished road
well this header wont do for me i guess... my car is slammed so shit... and the one thing ppl wanted to know... hp gain lol wheres that yo... and h22a... finally you have seen the light lol
Old 02-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Lude Boss

as some have mentioned in the GB thread, any well performing header will probably have limited ground clearance. What you can do (at the risk of altering the power and powerband) is cut the primaries slightly (between a half inch and an inch) and pick up that much more clearance.
The secondaries have enough ground clearance that doing this will DEFINATELY put it above the bar running parallel (keeping it somewhat safer). And the lowest point is the flange and a simple flex pipe installed by the local muffler shop will clear that up.
In short, Its not as bad as you think or looks for that matter.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Lude Boss

blackpool is on a distinguished road
So you have no exhaust leaks? Mine leaks around all the slips even the ones I didnt modify. I also had to use a bar to spread the 1 and 2 primaries to get the first "Y" to slip on did you?
Old 02-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Lude Boss

yes I did but it went smoothly. I would recomend taking a round file to the inside of the pipes that slip over just to make it easier to slip on. Some PB Blaster would likely help as well.
But yeah, NO LEAKS WHATSOEVER!!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Prelude Aficionado

Blue01 is a jewel in the roughBlue01 is a jewel in the roughBlue01 is a jewel in the rough
I'd hope for a well performing small-tube header (like that) to have a little better ground clearance.

I'll scrape my header at about the same time as the tow hook. The collector hangs down a bit too but I gave the builder some pictures and I got the impression he was going to change that in the future.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:06 PM
True Luder

DailyDrvn Lude is on a distinguished road
so just got my header in too.. idk installation was cake,, i just use some lubricant put it on and outside the" y"s fit perfectly and i havent tighten the bolts yet so lets see how that goes..i will probably be installing it this wkd.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Lude Boss

what header do you have Blue??
Old 02-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Prelude Aficionado

Stadulis Motor Sports
Old 02-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Elite Member

Hookid is on a distinguished road
Looks fresh. Car overall looks great too!
Old 02-21-2009, 02:17 PM
True Luder

so u didnt use a flex pipe
Old 02-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Lude Boss

nope I'm posting more pics and info in the original post in this thread as an update shortly.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Ludacious

prelude2nr is on a distinguished road
ordered mine!!!
Old 02-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Lude Boss

Sorry everybody. I managed to delete the whole thing earlier. Give me a couple hours and it'll be back (going to isle 13 @ wal-mart). Sorry!
Old 02-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Lude Boss

blackpool is on a distinguished road
gg lol
Old 02-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Lude Boss

ok its all better now!! lol Once again I'm sorry, but its alot better now. Its all in order and pics are where they need to be.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Prelude Aficionado

Kronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of light
Hello. I'm the guy the OP stole the dynos from (no biggie). In case you didn't read my thread, the HP gains were excellent. Keep in mind though that those dynos are simply a before&after, without any tuning. I have some clearer dynos on my thread plus some projections of where I think it'll be after it's tuned. I'll also be posting some photos of my install, including the crossmember notch. Mine is nowhere near the size of his, maybe " deep and 2" wide. IIRC, the #1 runner is what hits on the 5th gen.

As for the O2 bung. This was not an issue in the slightest on my car, but of course 4th gens and 5th gens are different.

If you're interested, here's the FS link on Honda-Tech:

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=37167521

Last edited by Kronn 98SH; 02-21-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Lude Boss

ThanX for posting up! I appreciate your dyno and helping out concerned SH owners lol
Old 02-21-2009, 09:04 PM
True Luder

damn.. what are the chances of running this header w/o a flex pipe without cracking..
Old 02-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Lude Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDrvn Lude View Post
damn.. what are the chances of running this header w/o a flex pipe without cracking..
wouldn' do it without some sort of aftermarket mounts. Just not a good idea.
You'll end up looking like this guy: lol
Old 02-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Lude Dude

pesater is on a distinguished road
how did u put the header on the car? assemble them all together before putting on the car or install one by one? the reason im asking bc the pipes dont line up right and i want to assemble them into 1 piece so that they can "get used to" their positions until I actually put them on the car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement