RomPirate’s 5spd Swap Resource Thread - Page 2 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #26
mikeschmeee
Ludacious

mikeschmeee has a spectacular aura aboutmikeschmeee has a spectacular aura about
Hi,

I am about to do my auto-5speed swap at a performance shop (Garage Five)
I have all the necessary parts but I have encountered one issue. The immobilizer that's in the ECU?
I was told by the mechanic who will be doing the swap that all 97-2001 Preludes have an immobilizer. Now my Prelude is American. Original owner bought it from Napleton Honda in Illinois. The car is now in Vancouver, Canada. I tried to see if my auto ECU has an immobilizer by calling Honda USA but the lady I spoke with just said the same thing the mechanic at Garage Five told me... all 97-01 Preludes have an immobilizer.
This doesn't make sense to me since I do NOT have the original keys to the car. I only have the spare key. I later on got an extra spare key cut (NOT at a Honda dealer) and that key also starts the car no problem. Where the original keys are? I have no clue It never came with the car when I bought it.

I understand my options are the following...

Convert auto ECU to manual, take the 000 resister and solder it to the other side of the circuit board. Will that remove the CEL permanently? So if there ever is some type of issue with the car the CEL will not turn on anymore? If that's the case I do not want that.

Use the 5speed ECU that I bought when buying all of my other 5speed parts. But then I will encounter this immobilizer issue. The 5speed ECU that I have has an immobilizer so how am I able to go around this? I was told that if I use the 5speed ECU the car will not start unless I am able to go around the immobilizer somehow?

Basically I'm in a bit of a rut here. I need this immobilizer issue solved. I never even knew that this would be an issue. Some of the threads I have read in the past never mentioned this part. I'm a bit skeptical on this swap now due to this but I am still eager to shift some gears in my Prelude!

Someone please help me!

Thank you in advance
Mike

PS: I hope it's alright to be posting my questions/concerns in this thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mikeschmeee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #27
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

xxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud of
You were told correctly, all 5th gen preludes (97-01) have an immobilizer system as a standard factory installation.

What kind of spare are you using? There are certain replacement keys that can clone the frequency of the OEM keys and trick the immobilizer into thinking it's the real key.

As for converting the auto ECU, I (as well as others) have done that without issue. It does not disable the CEL (Check engine light/malfunction indicator lamp), it instead makes the ECU believe that it is a manual ECU.

J.L.D.E.P.P.M.S.3.C.N.Y.C.N.C.M.A.D
xxfallacyxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #28
mikeschmeee
Ludacious

mikeschmeee has a spectacular aura aboutmikeschmeee has a spectacular aura about
I only have two spare keys. One that I got with the car when I bought it.
The other key I got cut later on. So I have two spare keys (and what appears to be NON Factory keys)

The black key is the key I got cut at the mall and the silver key is the one that came with the car. If it matters the silver key says HD103.

I PM'd RomPirate and he told me that it may be possible that the previous owner(s) may have put a "remote start" feature, basically a feature for an alarm (in which case there should be a board somewhere which basically plays back the immobilizer signal to allow it to start).
But as far as I know the alarm I have on the car does not have a remote start feature. unless in this case the remote start acts in a different way, instead of pressing a button and the car starts by itself without having to step inside and turning the key.
So like he said there is a signal being played back to the immobilizer allowing to start the car.

Looks like I'll be using the auto ECU. Is there any difference between the auto ECU and 5speed ECU, performance wise perhaps? Or basically all the same?

Old 11-21-2009, 11:22 PM   #29
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

xxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud ofxxfallacyxx has much to be proud of
The ecus are basically the same.

Before you go and tear apart the car try to see if it does have a remote start. Have you ever hit the auxiliary button twice?

Old 11-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #30
mikeschmeee
Ludacious

Nope. No remote start. I just clicked the Aux button twice and nothing happens.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #31
mikeschmeee
Ludacious

Well the 5speed conversion is finished. I've been having some issues with the clutch not fully disengaging but I think I've figured out the problem. RomPirate has been giving me advice/helping me out with this through PM and all I have to say is:

This is the best damn thread ever! and RomPirate is an awesome guy/PP member/Prelude enthusiast !!!!!

Thanks to everyone else who has help out as well!!!

Old 12-06-2009, 12:47 AM   #32
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

Thanks be to rom pirate, as he helped me plenty through my swap as well. Make sure to send some rep points his way!

Old 03-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #33
Joes99lude
Lude Dude

Joes99lude is on a distinguished road
Yea im Looking to do this swap and i keep hearing about this helms manual and i went to the site but i dont know which manual im looking for can anyone help?
Joes99lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #34
mikeschmeee
Ludacious

Here:

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto...e/Prelude%205/

Here:

http://www.spoonertuner.com/manuals

or here:

http://s356.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/Chapter%201/

Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #35
mikeschmeee
Ludacious

double post. Sorry! Please delete

Old 03-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #36
stereo
Elite Member

stereo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to stereo Send a message via Yahoo to stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeschmeee View Post
I only have two spare keys. One that I got with the car when I bought it.
The other key I got cut later on. So I have two spare keys (and what appears to be NON Factory keys)

The black key is the key I got cut at the mall and the silver key is the one that came with the car. If it matters the silver key says HD103.

I PM'd RomPirate and he told me that it may be possible that the previous owner(s) may have put a "remote start" feature, basically a feature for an alarm (in which case there should be a board somewhere which basically plays back the immobilizer signal to allow it to start).
But as far as I know the alarm I have on the car does not have a remote start feature. unless in this case the remote start acts in a different way, instead of pressing a button and the car starts by itself without having to step inside and turning the key.
So like he said there is a signal being played back to the immobilizer allowing to start the car.

Looks like I'll be using the auto ECU. Is there any difference between the auto ECU and 5speed ECU, performance wise perhaps? Or basically all the same?

if your green key light comes on when you turn the ignition on and blinks 5 times when you turn the car off the immobilizer is still in the car and the orginal transponder key is hidden somewhere under the dash, so it will always see the hidden key and start.
stereo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #37
Joes99lude
Lude Dude

yea its me again im still gathering the parts for my swap and i plan on using a accord transmission only cause its readily available and i would like the better gas Mileage and higher top speed and i was curious do i have to get a accord 5spd ecu or a prelude 5spd ecu or does it not matter?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #38
BlkLUDE5G
I am Prelude

BlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the roughBlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the roughBlkLUDE5G is a jewel in the rough
should be straight bolt in - speed sensor is another story though

BlkLUDE5G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #39
cdub
Getting Comfortable

cdub is on a distinguished road
Have been looking for something like this online for a while. Thanks for the detailed list
cdub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #40
Joes99lude
Lude Dude

Quote:
If your like me, doing this little by little your car wont start unless you press the switch... Its impossible to put your hand in there while cranking unless your some sort of octopus/stretch man hybrid. Solution? Well there is two:
(Recommended) Simply get some clip leads and clip the two light blue wires.
just an idea maybe put a switch there and that way you can have added anti theft device just mount it out of sight but easily attainable. just a thought.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #41
dblair
Lude Addict

dblair is on a distinguished road
Hey Rom, great job! Can you post the specifics of the clutch line? Line size and fitting numbers?
dblair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #42
Joes99lude
Lude Dude

alright i started my swap this past weekend got the auto out and the manual in and all the suspension components back in and shes off the lift. took a while cause the shop i was working in was only open untill 3:30 every day. but next weekend all i have to do is mount my pedal and put my shifter/cables in and im good to go getting exciting now.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #43
Kronn 98SH
Prelude Aficionado

Kronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of lightKronn 98SH is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Kronn 98SH Send a message via Yahoo to Kronn 98SH
It just wouldn't be right, having this awesome thread without a response from me. So....

Sissy-trannies suck!

2006 CRF150F - sold
2006 YZ250F - sold
2006 S2000 (Laguna Blue Pearl) - purchased bone stock on 6/16/12
Kronn 98SH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #44
matt97lude
Lude Addict

matt97lude will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronn 98SH View Post
It just wouldn't be right, having this awesome thread without a response from me. So....

Sissy-trannies suck!
^^^^^x2

so glad i got a 5speed now
BB Squad V.2 #108
matt97lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #45
soto2635
Lude Cray

soto2635 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to soto2635
i used this thread about a year ago for my swap with minor changes but still best thread for tranny swaps i evere seen i refer a lot of people to look at this thread costenly on other forums, best help ever props to you once again Rom.

soto2635 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 03:25 AM   #46
Ridabusa

Ridabusa is on a distinguished road
nice job on the writeup. im about to do this and it looks like drilling for the clutch pedal is gonna be such a pain in the ass, any advice on makin sure the pedal stays straight. or what you would do differently to make your pedal straight?
Ridabusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #47
Joes99lude
Lude Dude

Quote:
nice job on the writeup. im about to do this and it looks like drilling for the clutch pedal is gonna be such a pain in the ass, any advice on makin sure the pedal stays straight. or what you would do differently to make your pedal straight?
surprisingly it was not as hard as it looks i had a little trouble because i purchased a set of 4th gen pedals not the 5th gen and had to fabricate the brake pedal arm to fit in the 5th gen mount. but the clutch went in pretty smooth. i never attempted anything like this before and thanks to rom i did it. now im still trying to do the ecu thing bugging the shit out of me. lol
Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #48
Pre1ude92
Lude Addict

Pre1ude92 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Pre1ude92 Send a message via Yahoo to Pre1ude92
anyone try this write up w/ a 4th gen?

My build threads:
Memorial to my 1st Honda

92 S Restoration/Upgrade

H23Vtec Moneypit

Pre1ude92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #49
xxfallacyxx
Bearderator

Should work for the most part. I've got all 4th gen stuff on my 5th gen, so they're all interchangeable.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #50
RomPirate
Lude Boss

RomPirate is a jewel in the roughRomPirate is a jewel in the roughRomPirate is a jewel in the rough
^^ yeah! It should be very similar, with the exception of ECU conversion. You might be able to get away with just swapping the ECU with a manual one, without having to worry about the immobilizer!

RomPirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement