Untangling the spaghetti and removing unnecessaries... - Page 2 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:10 AM   #26
rjudgey
Prelude Aficionado

rjudgey has disabled reputation

Prelude of the Month
Auto-x

I think you should give those Leda's a testing and the Miata's a arse whooping!!

About time you did some more with the car now that the weather is good hows the Diesel Samurai project going??
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 10:39 AM   #27
cygnus x-1
Elite Member

cygnus x-1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjudgey View Post
I think you should give those Leda's a testing and the Miata's a arse whooping!!

About time you did some more with the car now that the weather is good hows the Diesel Samurai project going??

The diesel is running now but need to replace the rear u-joint before I take it for a test drive. The pump timing isn't exactly right so it smokes like mad. There is an adjustment gauge I'm trying to get a hold of to fix that. After that there is a list of other things to sort out, but it should at least be drivable.

Miata's would be killer for auto-x I imagine. But then so should be a Prelude. The real question is how good a driver am I?

C|
cygnus x-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #28
keithmtb

keithmtb has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to keithmtb
i'm out of lemont. the car has been hold for a couple years, so I didn't beat the feb 2007 cutoff. will I need to leave the vacuum lines on to pass emissions test ? the car only has 94k miles and I'm second owner. mostly good shape - clean body - finally getting a couple of bubbles that will need addressing. running is the first priority.

as far as my lude killing my miata, that's a bit off. at least the lude is lighter by 200 pounds... amazing... here's the auto-x link : http://www.windycitymiataclub.com/autox/ It's a good group of folks, always a few s2k's. just did a lap in 1960 bugeye sprite, talk about lightweight.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:07 AM   #29
fullthrottle_man
Lude Boss

fullthrottle_man is on a distinguished road
Ok guys! I've got the final touches on as far as lines capped off, stuff removed, stuff kept, etc, etc! Tomorrow I don't have any work lined up at my shop after my full-time job so I'll have time to get pics. And it's supposed to be 70's and sunny! I can't wait to see the sun, it's been raining so much the last month that I feel like I'm in Seattle or something. Tuesday I even woke up to a blizzard and 6" of snow! In f'n middle of June! That shit's not right!! Anyways, as I was saying before my weather rant, I'll get some good pics of what's what, where's where, and what I've done under the hood...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'87 Prelude DX
Believe me, it's faster than it looks...try hanging with me in the twisties...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Aren't there like 3 people in Montana?

So that means what, 2/3rds of the population of Montana drive Preludes by my math.
fullthrottle_man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #30
keithmtb

dang it. can't see the images because I don't have enough posts... who set that rule and why ? the weather has sucked in chicago as well, tornado watch every other day.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #31
keithmtb

two more responses !
Old 06-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #32
keithmtb

yes, I'm posting just to post, I want to tear the vacuum lines out this weekend and need to print the thread !
Old 06-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #33
keithmtb

10 - is the magic number !
Old 06-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #34
knifemind
Lord Magnum

knifemind will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle_man View Post
Ok guys! I've got the final touches on as far as lines capped off, stuff removed, stuff kept, etc, etc! Tomorrow I don't have any work lined up at my shop after my full-time job so I'll have time to get pics. And it's supposed to be 70's and sunny! I can't wait to see the sun, it's been raining so much the last month that I feel like I'm in Seattle or something. Tuesday I even woke up to a blizzard and 6" of snow! In f'n middle of June! That shit's not right!! Anyways, as I was saying before my weather rant, I'll get some good pics of what's what, where's where, and what I've done under the hood...

We didn't get that much over here, but it still irked me. I was just glad it didnt kill my pepper plants.

knifemind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #35
cygnus x-1
Elite Member

cygnus x-1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithmtb View Post
i'm out of lemont. the car has been hold for a couple years, so I didn't beat the feb 2007 cutoff. will I need to leave the vacuum lines on to pass emissions test ? the car only has 94k miles and I'm second owner. mostly good shape - clean body - finally getting a couple of bubbles that will need addressing. running is the first priority.

as far as my lude killing my miata, that's a bit off. at least the lude is lighter by 200 pounds... amazing... here's the auto-x link : http://www.windycitymiataclub.com/autox/ It's a good group of folks, always a few s2k's. just did a lap in 1960 bugeye sprite, talk about lightweight.

Not sure in your case. You should go to the local test station and see what you need to do to get it back on the road. Worst case would be a visual inspection but I doubt they will do that. More likely it will have to go on the dyno. Some of the emissions stuff you could probably remove and still pass but not all of it. Best thing would be to give it a good tune up and hope it passes. Then you can do whatever you want.

I was just looking over the site, looks like fun. Might have to stop out some time. What happened to CLC? Why were the events cancelled?

C|
cygnus x-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #36
180srfun
Preludepower Member

180srfun has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to 180srfun
I ever get a 2nd gen again I will come back looking for this thread I hope that a good write up with some good pictures becomes of all this.
1985 Honda Prelude 1.8
180srfun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #37
fullthrottle_man
Lude Boss

Picture time! Here goes!...

The 3 lines to the valve on the left strut tower...it had a little bogging on steady cruise until I did the lines this way...

This is what I did with the power valve coming up from the carbs...rerouted to manifold vacuum. Doesn't necessarily have to go to this particular port as long as it's straight manifold vacuum...

The vacuum lines/plugs on left side of the front vacuum port manifold...

Left side of the air cleaner...

Right side of the front vacuum manifold (notice only the EGR valve in the background)...

Had to reroute the vacuum line for the heater controls also. Gotta leave the canister in for a vacuum tank...

Better view of the rerouted power valve line. If there's not a plug on the end of the manifold in the picture, the lines on the other side of there can be pulled off also...

Right side of air cleaner...

The two lines to and from one of the thermovalves (the other under the carbs is unhooked and left open on mine). That third line on top is the one I hooked up to the distributor for the vacuum advance...

An overall shot. Not a great pic due to the sun, but it gives a little bit of an idea of how much I removed...

The two tubes coming out of the exhaust manifold I cut off and welded shut, as well as the tube going into the intake for the EGR.

Now, she runs like a champ! In fact, this is the best she's run since I bought her! One thing I did notice, however, is a decrease in mileage. I haven't done the figures yet, but I'd say my mileage dropped from 33-36mpg in town, to about 28 or 29mpg. A pretty drastic drop, but that's due to two reasons. 1st, the power valve opens much sooner running off manifold vacuum instead of being opened by the control unit. A plus side to that, though, is increased power from the get-go due to extra fuel being allowed in! The 2nd reason, it's running so great I can't help but mash the gas at the drop of a hat and assault the green lights with a frenzy! LOL
If anyone has any areas that they need a more detailed pic, let me know and I'll get them as soon as I can for ya!

'87 Prelude DX

Quote:

So that means what, 2/3rds of the population of Montana drive Preludes by my math.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:49 PM   #38
keithmtb

the pics are really helpful, thanks. I almost want to jump in and pull everything and just hope it passes the emission test. what do you think ? we're having a hard time just getting the crabs, I mean carbs back on. where do you get all those caps ?

did you make the air filter cover from the original ?

miata club, CLC resurfaced the lot that we always use and therefore it was
"too nice" for us to auto-x on now and they pushed us to the back lot, close to some houses. the houses complained about noise or too much fun being had and we got the boot. next week is maywood park and I'm going to give that a shot, smaller, but still fun.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #39
fullthrottle_man
Lude Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithmtb View Post
the pics are really helpful, thanks. I almost want to jump in and pull everything and just hope it passes the emission test. what do you think ? we're having a hard time just getting the crabs, I mean carbs back on. where do you get all those caps ?

did you make the air filter cover from the original ?
I'm pretty sure if you pull off all the emission stuff it won't pass inspection, let alone the actual smog test. But then again, I've never had to ever take a smog test so I'm not sure what's involved for sure. The caps are just vinyl screw protectors that I got from the Home Depot where I work. Should be able to get them at any hardware store also, and probably even Walmart. The different colors of them indicate the different sizes. They didn't have any at work that were different sizes but all same color.
As far as the air cleaner goes, yep it's from the factory air cleaner. I cut off all the way around the filter where it sits on the inner (carb side) plate and also on the outer cover. The only part I left was the plaque where it says "Dual Carb 12-Valve". I think it looks kinda cool that way. Thinking about making another cover out of some 1/4" plexiglass for something different tho...

'87 Prelude DX

Quote:

Last edited by fullthrottle_man; 06-13-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:51 AM   #40
knifemind
Lord Magnum

Wow man, high five on that shit. Mine already looks similar, but I need some caps before I can finish it all off. I removed egr a few days ago & made a plate.

What remains from your black box? Just the ignition advance lines?

Old 06-14-2008, 02:56 AM   #41
knifemind
Lord Magnum

Sorry, double post.

Last edited by knifemind; 06-14-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #42
rjudgey
Prelude Aficionado

rjudgey has disabled reputation

Prelude of the Month
carbs mods

Have you increased the size of the mian jets yet??
Old 06-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #43
fullthrottle_man
Lude Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifemind View Post
Wow man, high five on that shit. Mine already looks similar, but I need some caps before I can finish it all off. I removed egr a few days ago & made a plate.

What remains from your black box? Just the ignition advance lines?
I also want to make a block-off plate and eliminate the EGR valve, I've just been too lazy lately. I'll probably do that after I finish fabricating the new fog light mounts...whenever I get around to that. LOL

As far as what remains from the black box...absolutely nothing! The dizzy vacuum advance I rerouted to manifold vacuum. On mine, the vacuum diaphragm closer to the dizzy leaks so I'm only running the vacuum to the outer vacuum advance port.

'87 Prelude DX

Quote:

Old 06-14-2008, 10:56 PM   #44
fullthrottle_man
Lude Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjudgey View Post
Have you increased the size of the mian jets yet??
I did actually! But I ran into a slight problem. Here in Montana, finding a 1.9mm drill bit is harder than finding a needle in a haystack! So I drilled them out to the next closest size, which ended up being a little big. The closest I could find was 1.98mm (5/64"). She definitely livened up after doing so tho! That and I also played with the mixture screws and figured out the chugging on acceleration I was having. The chugging was caused by my Accel Super Coil blowing out my OEM-sized plug wires I bought in March! Needless to say, an upgrade followed...a new set of Accel Super Stock wires, the 8mm coiled core ones...in shiny red to match the color of the car!

'87 Prelude DX

Quote:

Old 06-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #45
180srfun
Preludepower Member

180srfun has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to 180srfun
Any chance of a dyno?
1985 Honda Prelude 1.8
180srfun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #46
fullthrottle_man
Lude Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180srfun View Post
Any chance of a dyno?
I wish! I don't even know where the closest chassis dyno is. There isn't one here in Great Falls, and knifemind hasn't found one yet (to my knowledge) in his area either. If I could find one that's not too spendy to run on I'd definitely take it for a day to see numbers!...

'87 Prelude DX

Quote:

Old 06-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #47
AccordB20A
True Luder

AccordB20A is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AccordB20A Send a message via MSN to AccordB20A
good man. thats a top efford. also did the same to my single carb a18 that was in my car before the b20a. When i bought the car someone has just ripped the box off and the car woulkdnt even start. 5 minuites later after plugging holes routing a pipe here and a pipe there and hooking the vac advance up and doing the mechanic secondary mod away it goes, You get more power and fuel economy aswell i have found out in previous attempts. But i dont know how good on the ol atmosphere it is

AccordB20A is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #48
fullthrottle_man
Lude Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
good man. thats a top efford. also did the same to my single carb a18 that was in my car before the b20a. When i bought the car someone has just ripped the box off and the car woulkdnt even start. 5 minuites later after plugging holes routing a pipe here and a pipe there and hooking the vac advance up and doing the mechanic secondary mod away it goes, You get more power and fuel economy aswell i have found out in previous attempts. But i dont know how good on the ol atmosphere it is
I'm sure it's not too good for the environment, but it's still better for it than the domestic V8's running around here in all the Stangs and Chevelles. Although, I gotta admit, I prefer the sound of a nasty-cammed V8 over that of my A18...

'87 Prelude DX

Quote:

Old 06-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #49
MessyHonda
Lude Boss

MessyHonda is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MessyHonda
not bad....i think the smog tech would flip if he didnt see anything under my hood.

89 Honda accord lx-i

MessyHonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #50
knifemind
Lord Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle_man View Post
I wish! I don't even know where the closest chassis dyno is. There isn't one here in Great Falls, and knifemind hasn't found one yet (to my knowledge) in his area either. If I could find one that's not too spendy to run on I'd definitely take it for a day to see numbers!...
Correct.. I haven't tried Missoula yet, tough.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement