DIY: Official 5th Gen Timing Belt Job Procedure! (by JLUDE 03/11/08) - Page 3 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #51
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

JLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to JLude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnuts View Post
okay thanks man! now where to get h22a valve specs? =/ haha
Do a search on the 5G forum for "Valve Adjustment"

Former 5th, 4th and 3rd gen Prelude owner. Current: 2004 Toyota Tundra V8 DC 4x4, '00 Civic LX beater, '06 Yamaha FZ6S, '07 Victory Kingpin - Still a Prelude enthusiast!

JLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 03:36 PM   #52
bnuts
Lude Dude

bnuts is on a distinguished road
ahh, yeah my bad. i just read your DIY, good write up btw.
-magnaflow 2.5" exaust
-17" 5zigen Fn-01rc (bronze)
bnuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #53
BB4_
Lude Boss

BB4_ will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BB4_
Very Good write up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

III M3
BB4_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #54
1fastlude
Prelude Aficionado

1fastlude has a spectacular aura about1fastlude has a spectacular aura about1fastlude has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to 1fastlude Send a message via Yahoo to 1fastlude
Im gettin ready to tackle this job on. Here in prob 2 wks. Ordering some of the parts today. Now if im gunna take my balance shaft belt off and not put another one on will i need all the balance shaft stuff? I know i wont need the belt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 gsxr 600
rep me if I've helped you in anyway....
RIP-01 boosted lude- 368whp 274tq @ 11 psi
1fastlude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #55
99prelude-sh
Lude Cray

99prelude-sh is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 99prelude-sh
The heat shield in step 7 is quite a bitch to get off...let me tell you.

1999 Crystal Blue Metallic Prelude SH
99prelude-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #56
AncientPC

AncientPC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99prelude-sh View Post
You could always just leave it off, like me. Then again I burned myself pretty bad on the headers when burping the coolant and readjusting the radiator.
AncientPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 06:47 AM   #57
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

JLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really nice

Quote:
As I recall you are correct...I had a hell of a time getting it off and reassembling it. Helps that I have small, strong hands I guess. The hardest part you will find is getting the T-belt over the manual tensioner pulley. It will happen though...I've done two T-belt jobs on H22's now.

Former 5th, 4th and 3rd gen Prelude owner. Current: 2004 Toyota Tundra V8 DC 4x4, '00 Civic LX beater, '06 Yamaha FZ6S, '07 Victory Kingpin - Still a Prelude enthusiast!

Old 08-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #58
MommysLittleMonster
Opinionated Bastard

MommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MommysLittleMonster

Prelude of the Month

EXCELLENT write-up!!!! Thanks for taking the time to take all the pictures and go into such detail- books are nice, but it's a million times easier to see it actually happening.

KUDOS!!!!!
MommysLittleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #59
99prelude-sh
Lude Cray

Quick question:
What can I use to support the engine from the bottom when I take the side mount off?

Old 08-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #60
LudaPower

LudaPower is a jewel in the roughLudaPower is a jewel in the roughLudaPower is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Haha yeah it sucks. When I reinstalled it after getting it powdercoated the bottom bolt broke inside the block
I just left it like that since there's really no way of getting it out without taking everything apart.
LudaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #61
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

Quote:
Quick question:
What can I use to support the engine from the bottom when I take the side mount off?
A jack with a piece of 2x4 wood between it and the bottom of the oil pan to support the engine.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:49 AM   #62
99prelude-sh
Lude Cray

Hey again,
Is there a rear balance shaft seal that needs to be replaced as well? Or did you just leave the rear balance shaft alone?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #63
1fastlude
Prelude Aficionado

1fastlude has a spectacular aura about1fastlude has a spectacular aura about1fastlude has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastlude View Post
Im gettin ready to tackle this job on. Here in prob 2 wks. Ordering some of the parts today. Now if im gunna take my balance shaft belt off and not put another one on will i need all the balance shaft stuff? I know i wont need the belt.
Bumpr for my question. Im gettin ready to order the rest of my timing belt stuff soon. Thanks.

06 gsxr 600
Old 08-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #64
99prelude-sh
Lude Cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastlude View Post
Bumpr for my question. Im gettin ready to order the rest of my timing belt stuff soon. Thanks.
What do you mean by balance shaft stuff? The seal? I'd recommend replacing that even if you're gonna reuse the belt.

Edit: Oooh, you're taking out the balance shaft completely. I have no idea then.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #65
1fastlude
Prelude Aficionado

Quote:
What do you mean by balance shaft stuff? The seal? I'd recommend replacing that even if you're gonna reuse the belt.

Edit: Oooh, you're taking out the balance shaft completely. I have no idea then.

Look at the parts list. Im not gunna be puttin a balance shaft back on but do i still need to replace the other parts, like the seal, etc?

06 gsxr 600
Old 08-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #66
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

Quote:
Hey again,
Is there a rear balance shaft seal that needs to be replaced as well? Or did you just leave the rear balance shaft alone?
I didn't touch the rear balance shaft, only the front shaft seal.

1fastlude: You can't remove the balance shaft. I assume you are just not using your balance shaft belt? You still need to replace the seals.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #67
1fastlude
Prelude Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLude View Post
I didn't touch the rear balance shaft, only the front shaft seal.

1fastlude: You can't remove the balance shaft. I assume you are just not using your balance shaft belt? You still need to replace the seals.

I know, and inorder to do the balnce shaft delete u have to remove the whole motor. So thats all i wanted to know. I just dont need to buy a new balance shaft belt. All the other stuff needs to be replaced. Mkay..

06 gsxr 600
Old 08-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #68
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

Why do people remove the balance shaft? Just to free a couple HP? The purpose of the balance shaft is harmonics to maintain a smooth running motor at all RPMS?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:51 PM   #69
99prelude-sh
Lude Cray

Helms manual says that the t-belt should be wrapped around everything and end with the front cam gear and finally the rear cam gear.
Why did you choose to end with the water pump and tensioner pulley?

Old 08-12-2008, 11:29 PM   #70
viper_boy403
Vrooom PSHHHH

viper_boy403 is a splendid one to beholdviper_boy403 is a splendid one to beholdviper_boy403 is a splendid one to beholdviper_boy403 is a splendid one to beholdviper_boy403 is a splendid one to beholdviper_boy403 is a splendid one to beholdviper_boy403 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to viper_boy403

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLude View Post
Why do people remove the balance shaft? Just to free a couple HP? The purpose of the balance shaft is harmonics to maintain a smooth running motor at all RPMS?
It's for "NVH" or Noise, Vibration, and Harshness. Basically meaning that it's for passenger comfort. The Prelude was Honda's higher end sports coupe of the time so you'd imagine they would do all they could to make it drive and ride smoothly. But when you're going for all out performance it's just free hp I run without the balancer belt and it just vibrates the pedals a little bit but nothing too bad. My ES motor mount inserts already make my car feel like one of those vibrating massage chairs lol

It's not like the crank pulley which when swapped out for a non-dampened aftermarket pulley will do a number on your bearings

BOOSTED
1997 San Marino red base

-Andrew-

Quote:
Fuck bitches... acquire boost.
viper_boy403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 11:43 PM   #71
snoboarder636
True Luder

snoboarder636 is on a distinguished road
yeah.. i dont think im gonna take this one on.. lol but awesome write up!
snoboarder636 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #72
viper_boy403
Vrooom PSHHHH

viper_boy403 is a splendid one to beholdviper_boy403 is a splendid one to beholdviper_boy403 is a splendid one to beholdviper_boy403 is a splendid one to beholdviper_boy403 is a splendid one to beholdviper_boy403 is a splendid one to beholdviper_boy403 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to viper_boy403

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoboarder636 View Post
yeah.. i dont think im gonna take this one on.. lol but awesome write up!
It's not very hard, just time consuming. I would really suggest using this as a supplement, with a service manual as your main reference. Dont do crazy sh!t like this without a FSM! lol

BOOSTED
1997 San Marino red base

-Andrew-

Quote:
Fuck bitches... acquire boost.
viper_boy403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2008, 05:18 AM   #73
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

Quote:
Helms manual says that the t-belt should be wrapped around everything and end with the front cam gear and finally the rear cam gear.
Why did you choose to end with the water pump and tensioner pulley?

Because when using the manual tensioner conversion it's physically impossible to do it in that order without shredding the T-belt on the sharp edges of the cam gears...if you can even get it to go over them.

-JL

Old 08-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #74
99prelude-sh
Lude Cray

Hey,
How can I hold the crank to keep it from moving while I tighten the crank bolt?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #75
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

Quote:
Hey,
How can I hold the crank to keep it from moving while I tighten the crank bolt?

I use one of these chain pipe wrenches and wrap a piece of one of the old drivebelts around the pulley grooves to protect it from damage from the wrench. You want a longer handle than this one (mine is 24" but you get the idea) I think I paid $15 shipped for my wrench off Ebay, works great.

If you can get the crank bolt loose without an impact gun you are Hercules! (Or just very lucky)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement